Reminder: Superman wasnt always man of murder

Reminder: Superman wasnt always man of murder

did supes give her the hope?

She's filled with it after meeting supes

Who isn't?

Yes, but he saved some for you

I really hate using the summerfag expression here, but this board is really filled with people that are either really new or fresh off halfchan.

This is something I constantly discuss with my brother.

Superman can ONLY work as a boyscout, and I don't mean someone powerful or some shit, but I mean Superman being Clark Kent, or Kar-El, or whatever he chooses to call himself.

If he is not a fucking boyscout he will just become Ultraman.

That's why I hate the stupid "kill bill hypothesis" as I call it. That Clark Kent is Superman making fun of humanity, when actually, Clark Kent is the real Superman. Ever since Ma and Pa Kent pulled him out of the crater, he has been nothing more than Clark Kent the Kansas farm boy. Superman is Clark Kent the man's idea of what a hero should be, rather than Clark Kent being what Superman the god thinks humans are.

The truest example is that one comic where the big 3 grab dianas lasso so they cant lie and introduce themselves. She calls herself diana, he calls himself Clark and Kal El and Batman Calls himself Batman.
All 3 showing which is the real personality and whats the real mask.

A rare display of realism in comics

I don't think he would call himself batman,
Bruce Wayne being the mask isn't literal. It means that Bruce Wayne isn't a playboy but rather a brooding vigilante. His name is bruce wayne, it's been his name his entire life and he would think of it as his name, unless he's badly written insane.

He is, though.

I like thinking of him as an Atticus Finch type. A truly good man that will try as hard as he can to defend justice, even if he knows it's futile.
Edgy Supes is shit. He's better off just being a good man, trying to make things right. A sort of human embodiment of the American Dream, without being walking propaganda like Cap or Wondie were literally invented to be.

user was just saying it showed Bruce identifies more with his Batman persona than his real life. Yes, he's Bruce, but he's Batman first and foremost. Like a slightly less extreme version of Rorschach. After all, Bruce literally just uses his normal life to fund his vigilante life. It's just an accessory to his Batman persona.

Wasn't the whole point of the Kill Bill hypothesis that its a reflection of Bills character and not Superman since he hates him so much?

Interesting, I always thought there was 3 parts to Batman: party boy Bruce Wayne, real Bruce Wayne and Batman.

I took that whole spiel as Bill trying to express how much he hated the way Copperhead lied to her husband and daughter, to explain in a roundabout way why he had raised B.B. on Shogun Assassin, so Beatrice would never have to lie to her about being Black Mamba, or killing Bill.
His crowning achievement as a psychologist, and his way of regaining his personal honour.
It had very little to do with Superman, or Clark Kent. Just a handy parallel.

That was interesting. Never saw it like that.

wtf i love quentin tarantino now

In the DCAU, Bruce Wayne literally calls himself "Batman" in his mind, and this is a major plot point in one of the Beyond episodes. Most people nowadays copy that theory, but I agree with . He might think of himself as "Batman" in his mind, but there's no human being could be like that all the time. While his public Bruce persona might be a complete fabrication, how he acts as Batman should only really be 1/3-1/2 of who he really is. Personally I like the idea that everything idiotic Bruce does as part of his playboy persona is him blowing off steam from the rigorous self-discipline he exerts over himself as Batman

The thing is that for that to work, he has to actually fail sometimes.
Writers don't show that enough. Superman IS incredibly powerful true, but he's always powerful enough to beat every given enemy he faces with some plot-bullshit the writer thinks up. To me Superman isn't meant to be a guy who can defeat every danger that's thrown at him, to me Superman is meant to be a guy who tries his best to save as many lives as he can, but at the end of the day laments that he can't save everyone.
A really good character emerges when Superman fails. For example, Superman is calm and collected while fighting a monster that eats time, but during every moment of that fight he's got his super-hearing trained on his Dad's heartbeat. And when he can't hear it, he nearly ignites himself trying to fly fast enough: All to save his Dad.

see

Superman is not hero because heroism is about helping those that you can at personal cost. Every iteration of Superman is perfectly happy to ignore countless people he hears begging for help every day. Either he needs to get raped by horde of vengeful nerfbats or have to battle 24/7 with the dilemma between his personal wants and duty to assist those in need. Until then Superman will continue to prove LUTHOR of all the people right by larping as human being he is not and cannot never be.

That's been a thoroughly established part of his character for a very long time now.

Bruce wayne is a persona used by the man called Batman to facilitate his goals. Nothing in bruce waynes life matters to Batman, all the important people to him know Batman is bruce wayne, the unimportant people to him dont know bruce wayne is batman.

Look user you gotta realize that the world is gonna roll you, you ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.

I like Superman when he's a boyscout 89% of the time and a cheeky dick 11% of the time.

Bad writing

I believe it when I see it in action. Aside from occasional issue made about it, its conveniently ignored while Supes chills out in Daily Planet for hours or takes a flight with Louis Lane or whatever. It's not made to be present like in other hero comics. Batman is forced to act in way he does not like thanks to his martyr complex and Spiderman's guilt over muh responsibility is constantly present and forces him to live autistically as well. Superman though? He has far more power than previous two combined yet almost no responsibility. Writing crap while people you could save are dying? Fine and dandy. Date with Louis vs. saving people? Fuck the people, I can play hero later.

Superman is written like selfish manchild that treats heroing as game: plays it when it suits him, ignores it otherwise. You cannot in good conscience call someone like that hero.

Yes, the problem is you spergs went apeshit in MoS. Then when we REALLY needed to sperg in BvS everyone assumed we were just you faggots getting louder.

They even said "omg look please fight over in this uninhabited area" so you faggots wouldn't cry even though everyone knew at that point it was a shit movie anyway.

You missed the point of Superman. He is first and foremost a person, his own person. He decides to be Clark, but he is at all times Superman. He decides to live like Clark because that's how he was raised, and that gave him stability of his mind, more or less.
Pretty sure Superman can stop every disaster of the world if he wanted, but he don't, he chooses to be a human as possible, a sign of justice, not a god.

You sound like one of the guys the Plutonian had a point about.

The Plutonian did nothing wrong.

This is what every Superman-tier hero complaining about people expecting them to do their job sounds like. It's an inherent problem with the medium, but it is also a valid complaint. It's not like anyone even likes The Daily Planet shit and Superman being part of one of the most corrupt media institutions in the world, they just keep it there because it's a relic of the past that DC just can't bring themselves to finally get rid of. Superman would do far more good as a doctor or a teacher than as a fucking reporter.

If you don't want such questions being brought up, then don't give Superman senses good enough to hear a knife getting thrown into a tree halfway across the world or enough endurance to get into fisticuffs with alien conquerors 365 days straight without tiring.

I know you are trolling, but you know that Superman isn't inmune to stress, right? He might all powerful and invulnerable, but he has to sleep, have fun, meditate, rest and everything like the rest of us.

For fuck's sake, Earth is one of the planets with the biggest surpluss of superpowered people, they could handle so he can rest and doesn't go crazy.

Seriously, people like you is why the Plutonian went crazy.

No he only does it out of habit. Something of a weakness tbh. He literally crashed out of the sky because he was so "tired". But if he never bothered sleeping, that would never happen.

This stuff is more important. He would lose too much of Clark if he kept 'superman-ing' without stop. Eventually he'd lose touch with humanity.

The whole reason Superman is as good as he is is because of the people he protects.

Name one instance where he's been under genuine stress outside of familial matters.

That's just it, he doesn't. If you had the power to stop every natural disaster, would you do it?
I'm not saying Superman needs to give up ever having time to himself, but the fact that he could solve almost any problem you can imagine and then actively chooses not to doesn't scream "justice" to me, it screams "asshole".
And maybe I would be more okay with Superman taking some time off from heroism if he ever failed. If he ever had something to lose by doing so. But he doesn't.

I don't think you guys are tackling what the other user is trying to say. Superman taking some time to be Clark would make sense if his powers were toned down. But this is a guy who can fly faster than light, is stronger than infinity, and who can solve all conceivable problems the world might have in an instance. And with his super-hearing, he doesn't have an excuse that he doesn't know that a problem is occurring, he knows EVERY problem going on anywhere in the world, and has the powers so that failing to stop it isn't even worth considering. So with such huge power, it becomes less and less believable for him to choose who not to save on a whim.
Every time Superman sits down to type away at The Daily Planet he can hear the screams of hundreds of innocents ringing in his ears, and decides "Sorry, you're not on my to-save list".

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Or even have the right to.

Yes, Superman probably could solve all the worlds problems. He could probably do it pretty damn easily and it's doubtful anyone could stop him…but then you don't have Superman any more. You have Red Son at best and Injustice at worst.

I don't wanna sound like Holla Forums, but the slippery slope is real and the faster you fall, the harder it is to see that you need to stop.

Sometimes setting an example is better than forcing a hand, even if it comes off worse in the short term. See pic related.

He is. He's literally unable to get tired, get intoxicated, get poisoned, get sick, suffer from insomnia, chronic fatigue, get crippled, etc, etc. Writers have over time made him so goddamn powerful that there is literally no reason why he shouldn't be Superman 24/7. It's not like the "best" Superman writers even try to pretend that Superman is anything remotely close to being human. Grant Morrison, Elliot Maggin, Mark Waid before he went to shit, Alan Moore, they all write him as a literal god who doesn't behave anything close to how an adequate human being would be. Shit, he literally perceives stuff on an "aura" level.

A heroic uber-powerful Superman would work relentlessly 24/7 to save everyone and everything he can because he cannot bear it otherwise. That would be an interesting story, observing a Superman who is constantly on the move and working every single second to help everyone.

Alternatively, just don't make him so obscenely overpowered that he looks like an asshole taking breaks that he doesn't need.

"To catch them if they fall" is a line that could just as aptly could be applied to Superman not ignoring a cry for help from a woman getting brutally raped while her husband watches helplessly just because he wants to cosplay as a reporter. Or sharing some of his knowledge to make a better world as an immigrant citizen like more better medical technology or rehabilitation techniques.

Essentially, Superman sounds like all those Greek gods who punished Prometheus for bringing fire to people and that's not a good thing.

..and you sound like someone whose opinion will never change, even after being presented with all the evidence in the world.

So I'm done with ya.

That works for why he doesn't stop war, or why he doesn't stop problems that people create, or that people can solve.
But every time there's a Tsunami wiping out a coastal town, Superman's got no excuse. And there's more than enough natural disaster work to keep Superman busy at all times.

I would agree with you if Superman had a lesser powerset. But when the guy is THAT strong? What example does he set by allowing poverty-ridden people being swept away in Mudslides while he sips coffee with Lois? For someone like The Flash (who has a similar problem) he at least has the excuse that since he's human, he needs to rest. And that despite his speed, he can't solve problems he doesn't know about. Yet Superman CAN solve so many problems, but arbitrarily chooses which ones he does and doesn't do. I'm in no place to judge a man as pious as Superman, but that doesn't make his choice any less arbitrary.
And then you're justifying Lex Luthor in the same breath, since his motivation for fighting Superman is to show mankind that they can beat the Ubermensch since if they can't, there;s no point in living.

To be honest I want to see a Superman story about Superman meeting his match. Not in the old "Superman finds a strong guy, but in the end Superman was stronger all along" way, I want to see even an elseworlds one-shot about Superman encountering a hero who is simply in a league above him, as he is to most other heroes, and how Superman would deal with that hero deciding to make those choices on a different arbitrary scale. Not a "Manchester Black" or some other conditional threat, but a full on Super-Superman who has a different moral framework to Supes.

If you have to put the whole world in a bottle to keep it safe, then obviously the next step is to make that world stronger than the bottle, and then someday the bottle won't be necessary any more. Problem solved.
No problem then.

No.

Cunt has Super hearing to the point where there is absolutely nothing on Earth he cannot here. He can also learn the entirety of medicine in a few seconds so there's really not much room to say he doesn't know about something. Seems that everyone trying to defend Superman forgets that he has fucking superpowers

Hear, fuck me dead

also, I like how you've just assumed a) he's an emotionless robot that exists only to serve humanity and b) power = moral authority

I like how you've assumed that Superman is all of a sudden a fragile existence who can't go a day without being Clark Kent or he gets severe depression. The cunt has spent weeks on end being Superman and not broken a sweat for it, all of a sudden if you say "Hey maybe the God shouldn't let innocent people die when he can save them with no downside for himself" then you're treating him like a robot.
You're right, he should worry more about moral authority.
I mean, he has no problem invading sovereign nations, interfering with foreign and interplanetary governments and dispensing justice on the little man with disproportionate force, but "saving people from natural disasters" is where he needs to draw the line. He is for all intents and purposes the strongest being in the Universe given what the writers do to him, and yet he doesn't have moral authority. Moral authority to do fucking what? Save lives? He's done far more morally grey shit without giving it a second thought.

So what? Batman has the superpower of money, which could be spent in actually making a better society and he spends it in dressing like a gimp and saving the life of his homoerotic sadomasocism relationship with a crazy mime that can't shut up for a second.

And we have a scientist who can go so fast he can travel in time.

And we have some space corps that could occupy earth to reach peace.

And we have magicians, demons, supergeniuses and lots of people that could make a cure of cancer, AIDS and super AIDS in a few hours of minutes if they tried. But you focus in a guy who isn't even the strongest of his universe.

You want to say capes are inconsistent and shit? sure, go ahead, but don't try to get superman into some impossible standars he could just reach being a selfless being without a life nor loved ones. You are like the leftist faggot wanting the US to follow ALL the moral standars with terrorists even if they would just abuse that compasion to harm western society.

This is why Irredemable is a story about selfish little cunts getting what they deserve, even if it was supposed to be an edgy deconstruction tale about evil superman.

Then why the fuck are you complaining? dude takes three seconds to take a break and you burst a blood vessel in your brain.

I bet he's a batfag. Or hell maybe even a Gokufag.

I like more Goku than superman and even I believe he is acting like a faggot.

All of a sudden we've got one fucking cunt who won't shut the fuck up about Irredeemable. Did you only just read it? Do you think it's super-duper smart?
The Flash has the same problem, but a little more leeway since as I stated earlier he doesn't have the ability to know the location and time of every crime as it fucking happens. Superman does and actively decides to let people die.
He might as fucking well be mate. There might be someone stronger out there, but the minute they meet Superman suddenly he'll finds strength he didn't know he had and be stronger than them. Darkseid, Doomsday, the Anti-Monitor, all of them once teamkillers who then got relegated to "have Superman smack em around and call it a day".

Because it's not a three-second break you dumb faggot. He spends hours every day LARPing as a reporter and listening to innocent people die. If the writers want to make Superman have the power of God, the cunt needs to act like it. He doesn't get to be super-powerful one second and then a fragile little boy who needs his naptime the next. Like I said: You're forgetting Superman has fucking powers.

And you think I'M a faggot. At least Superman doesn't willingly endanger entire universes, Superman at least understands what good and bad are.

I just like irredemable. And I think you are a faggot and a cunt.

And I'm not even talking about supervillains, but about heroes. Fucking Shazam is a strong as superman and can beat him up using magic. There is a guy, or was, who could create ANY matter and is a living nuclear reactor.

You still put superman in some huge standars when he could rely on his superfriends to save the world too.

Would rather debate the most asinine dragon-ball brainlets for the rest of eternity than spend another second on your tripe.

In theory.
See you're ignoring this very important part: Shazam IS supposed to be as strong as Superman, and have the edge over him thanks to magic. But Superman constantly, in every medium from shows to comics, hands Shazam his ass. Because writers consistently write Superman as power-adaptive, where he has the Superpowers to overcome any given physical confrontation. Hell, in the recent Supergang comic with Chink Superman and Lex Luthor in a costume, Mongul (who is supposed to be Superman level in his own right) gets shit on, as does Zod who is Kryptonian as well. Hell Superman is able to pound on the Kryptonite man if the writers feel brave. The way Superman is written, there's no reason for him not to do what I'm saying. You're ignoring the fact that he's written differently from your theoretical interpretation.
Who else would do it? Diana is a stupid cunt who doesn't solve the level of problems someone with her power could and should, Bruce is just a guy, Green Lanterns have duties on planets besides Earth. Flashes could be doing more true, but they actually do have the excuse of being human. However when the writers write Flash as having no downsides to their speed, sure thing why aren't they doing more?
I get that you're trying to tie this into Irredeemable, but that's a whole different can of beans. Plutonian wasn't just Superman up until that bitch outed him to his co-workers, his entire upbringing was different. His debut as Plutonian had him starting off already with psychological faults, and the cuntiness of the world broke him fully. Superman is a healthy individual in terms of mental state: So the fact that he chooses to let people die despite being able to save them effortlessly all the more out of character for someone of his power level.

Sorry did you genuinely forget Supes had superpowers?

Sorry did you genuinely forget Supes isn't a god?

He's a God mate. That's why they call Shazam "Earth's Mightiest Mortal". Because Superman isn't mortal, he's a god.

The word you're looking for is 'gary stu'. Superman is very much mortal. Once he's away from our sun or near kryptonite, he's vulnerable and can die.

Martian Manhunter is as strong as superman have the same powers of flying and is in the same group, yet you don't call him a god. He is even more cold and analitic than superman, so he might be more suitable for being a 24 hours comodity for the world.

You just assume superman would get tired being used over and over for stupid stuff and being expected to solve everyone's problems in a world with literal gods. Don't expect superman to solve problems not even the gods can solve by themselves.

It's funny how a thread about how Superman shouldn't be "edgy" in any way devolves into a back and forth argument with someone who thinks he's not interesting unless he's either neurotic as your average Marvel character or fucking Stardust The Space Wizard. Nitpicking over Supes' sensory powers alone is pointless considering that his entire power set is the defining standard when it comes to superheroes that are only as powerful as the plot needs them to be.

Firestorm?

Wasn't Atomman, Captain Atom or something related to the name atom?

He's been away from our sun before and has been for weeks without losing power. Again you can blame the writers, but if "being away from the sun" were a consistent weakness then it'd be more applicable. Same with Kryptonite: Sometimes it's debilitating, sometimes it's only kind of annoying. For all intents and purposes Superman can't die, because the stuff that's supposed to make him die is consistently bested by him.

Not even close. Kryptonians are far stronger than Martian in-universe, and Martian Manhunter is consistently written as underpowered to what he's supposed to be. Martian Manhunter is nowhere near as fast, strong, or smart as Superman because he's usually better written.
Though he has his own problem with his powers, since he can change his body at the molecular level he can cure most diseases by fashioning antibodies and using cellular reconstruction on antigens to create compatible immunity cells. He could cure cancer if he actually gave enough of a fuck to, but he doesn't because the writers are wobbly on how Martian shapeshifting works.

Pretty sure he's talking about firestorm for creating matter, and Captain Atom for being a living nuclear reactor. Both can generate some of Superman's weaknesses (Firestorm can make kryptonite, Captain Atom can wield red sun radiation) but both get their shit pushed in by Supes almost every time.

sure am glad I'm not waking up as you tomorrow

The worst part about that is that you don't even have to look beyond the Justice League to find a better example of what he's talking about. Wonder Woman is an Amazonian princess from a hidden island, who pretends to be an ordinary woman some of the time. Martian Manhunter is a Martian, who sometimes shapeshifts into a human.

Bad things both ways, faggot.

And neither of them are anywhere near as powerful as Superman.

But Martian Manhunter is as strong as superman. Or are you talking about the few stories where superman was a literal god because some writers are hacks?

Martians are not as strong as Kryptonians. This has been demonstrated numerous times in comics.
See now you're starting to see what I'm saying. Superman is mostly written by hacks, and they up his skillset to the point where he should be doing more with it than he is.

If you focus on hack writers, then every character in western comics is consistently shit you fucking nigger. Stop reading shit stories and stop having some retarded vision that Superman should be a fucking robot that does everything.

Bill speech says that Superman was BORN that way, and no matter how much he disguises as human he will always be Kal El/Superman, in fact, he have to try his harder to be somewhat normal, remember when he had to leave the galaxy to sneeze or the sneeze could destroy something near it? The point of the speech is that, as powerful as he is, in order to boend himself he have to appear weak, regardless of what his motivations for doing so are.
Superman thinks himself as Clark, but as Bill said, every morning he wokes up and look himself into the mirror without his glasses, he is Superman/Kal El.

user, he have a solitude fortress for a reason. He needs time for himself, maybe more than a human, specially for the things he have to face, it taxes him psychologically because he was raised with human moral and emotions, and have a psyche as fragile as anyone else, if not more considering the fact that he have to take hard decisions often.
Out of all the Justice League, Superman is probably the most average and simple person, psychologically speaking, he is just a farm boy with a lot of muscle. In fact, he only was so autonomous in the golden age, but now the League usually makes choices for him because he is unable to.

He can die. He have been killed off for good a couple of times. Yes, his writing about the sun is instable, but kryptonite always have a bit more of an stable effect that ranges from the distance he is exposed to it to the density and size of it.

Are you aware no superhero have consistency because they have been touched by so many people they just get tainted?

The Joker was once just a mobster who liked to make jokes and be a dick, then they turned him into a psycopath. Crocodile was only some guy with an skin condition and retard strenght, then they literally turned him into a crocodile man. Batman shot people, then became totally anti gun. Green lanter had his powers from mystic means, then turned into some space shit. And I could go forever with Marvel, but I don't even care enouth to go full autist.

The majority of writers for Superman are hacks. And given that we've not had any good Superman stories for years, I've gotta go with what I'm given. Superdad is okay but it's not really a Superman story, it's a Clark Kent story. Superman as he is currently, is a fucking asshole. We're never getting anything better than All-Star you dense faggot.

You're not wrong, but at least there is usually some consistency. They did try to explain the evolution of the Joker. Croc again, they tried to explain. Batman was a re-invention, he doesn't fluctuate between being pro and anti gun. But Superman is as inconsistent as it gets, as said he's the poster-boy for being as strong as the plot demands he be.

ITT: why capeshit is a cancerous boil that chews at itself and a worthless genre

I hate quoting Stan Lee, but you know how powerful are the superheroes in a story? as much as the story needs. Nothing more, nothing less.

And look at Marvel's characters as a result of that.

I love Hulk. He's one of my favorites. But his strength level is inconsistent as fuck. The only difference between him and Superman on that front however is that due to the Hulk's characterization and powerset, he needn't change his behaviour based on however strong he's written. Hulk isn't meant to be some moral upstanding idol, he's meant to be Hulk.
But if you want to bad side of Marvel's dumbassery, look at any given X-Men story post AvX. Fluctuating powers AND retarded characterizations.

This.
Summer is almost over tho

It is a fine interpretation for the Bill character. He isnt exactly right, he is just twisted to interpret Superman as such and it serves a function to drive the home to the bride. Stop being spastic. Most Superman fans know Clark is his Superman's private and public self to not draw attention.

But you have to admit, as Clark he does hides who he is and sneaks off to be who he is or sneaks his powers in his day to day life. As Superman he doesnt have to hide, he can warm your coffee back up by heat ray and not be worried if you respond by amazement. The only way Clark can be who he really is is around friends and family that know he is Kal-El not unlike that final restaurant scene in Kingdom Come.

So in a way Bill is right. Probably even more acurrate than you are.

Oh and I dont mean his view that Supes judges humanity as weak. That is is where Bill's character interpretation gets twisted.

I'm as lazy as Superman, so I probably won't make these myself, but I would love a picture of Clark typing away at a Buzzfeed listicle on his Macbook in a Starbucks while a mob riots in the street outside the window.

He hears what he wants to hear.

bump

RLM fan detected.
Superman executed Zod and two other evil Kryptonians way back in the post-Crisis Superman comic. There's nothing out of character for Superman to have killed an otherwise unstoppable force of evil.

Well, you can sort of forgive him for not doing it full time, after all, he ultimately doesn't have the responsibility to try and fix all the world's problems with his godlike powers.

What truly is the problem that when he's doing the Superman stuff is that he doesn't really prioritize that much.
I would imagine that after a certain point, he'd realize that it's better to just call the police on every single one of those situations that he detects with his super senses, rather than trying to be everywhere at once and personally only handle the ones that cops can't handle themselves.

Of course, it's entirely possible that whenever he spends more than a minute on solving a situation, it's because he's gotten curious about that specific scenario for one reason or another.

There is one reason why Superman shouldn't be Superman 24/7

That reason is the same one that Lex Luthor has pointed out, which is that the world is growing reliant on him already. Sure, preventing a world-ending cataclysm is fine, but when you start intervening on the level that it creates budget cuts, that will have an adverse effect on the development of society.

Logically speaking, it would be much better if Superman kept his hero stuff restricted to just few hours a day at most, excepting in the cases of situations humanity cannot manage.
Eliminating strife from the world means eliminating progress.

This would explain why he normally would try to abstain from intervening on national scale problems, because if humanity relies on him as a solution to those problems, then societies themselves will grow more complacent, weak and more unwilling to dedicate time and resources to solve their own problems.

That's well known Holla Forums, but the manner how they did it, the fact he acted like a bitch afterward and the destroyed most of the city is not Superman.

And that's all well and good but when you have in one issue Superman flying all the way to some bumfuck country to save a woman being mugged, and then in the next issue Superman deciding not to rescue victims from a deadly tsunami because "I don't want them to rely on me TOO much" it puts Superman's morality in question.
Were Superman not able to hear all disasters occurring everywhere in the world at all times, maybe that wouldn't be as much of a problem. He can't solve problems he's not aware of after all. But he DOES have super-hearing, so his choices of which muggers get stopped and which don't are in question.

It's as if Superman himself does not WANT to be a hero, he just half-heartedly goes through it and half-asses the job as result.

Let's say that Luthor (or someone more reliable) invented serum which would de-power Superman to the level of average human without SUPER HARMFUL CONSEQUENCES. I would argue that Superman as he is written would take it in the heartbeat and spend the rest of his life as ordinary Joe shilling for whoever Daily Planet orders and leaving heroics to actual heroes.

He has no drive to be hero. He has no real motivation. What Superman has is half-assed obligation to help which he proceeds to fulfill in arbitrary manner like and other anons have pointed out.

As the second user you pointed out, I gotta disagree. Superman at the very least likes being a hero and "doing the right thing" but he's just written to contradict that at every point.

>Superman likes being heroing yet he's ``written`` to contradict that at every point

How exactly are you disagreeing with me here? We both agree that the writing of Superman does not portray him as intended unless plan was to make him look like massive hypocritical cunt

I guess it's the wording. If Lex invented a serum Superman theoretically wouldn't take such a serum, but the writers nowadays would likely have him do it.

In the comics, he cried right after executing the evil Kryptonians, then went back to Smallville to sit in the dark for a while.
It was a realistic depiction of the kind of destruction a fight between super-powered beings would involve. It was also his first encounter with people as strong as him, so he wasn't really prepared to minimize the damage better.

He also became mentally unsound, developing a more ruthless personality that moonlighted as Gangbuster.

Superman could have exposed himself to gold K at any time if he really wanted to be normal.

Well, natural disasters are one of those things that he specifically shouldn't try to fuck around with since those are things that humans ought to learn how to deal with.
He might lend a helping hand cleaning up the rubble, but if he goes out of his way to prevent natural disasters, then you'll not really have construction standards in such danger zones and the money for meteorology research gets slashed as there's no imminent demand to be able to predict these things.

He probably likes to do the whole mugging situation stuff and other clear cut cases because that's exactly what they are.
He can help people, it's not much of a hassle, they'll be grateful for it and you can forget about it the next day since it doesn't really have any long term consequences, save for the occasional origin story for villains and heroes.

I can understand why lot of people resent Superman for having the power to save pretty much everyone, but refusing to do so, but what you gotta understand that doing nothing isn't really evil.
Most of the time with no apocalyptic threats, he saves people as a hobby kind of like couple of hours of volunteer work at a homeless shelter.

Having the power to help doesn't equate a responsibility to help.
He is ultimately, not a slave for those who are in distress.

Superman is a Moses analogy created by two Jews. Therefore he'll never be a logically consistent character until he unleashes multiple plagues, kills the first son of every human on the planet, and slaughters an entire people in order to settle the Kryptonians on their promised land. Unfortunately he never gets Kandor out of the bottle so he can't fulfill his purpose and has to play along with the goyim until such time as he figures out that issue.

I like how supefags are reduced to characterizing Superman as an unheroic weirdo who does things like just to pass the time.

But he DOES stop natural disasters. He's dispersed tornadoes several times, he's stopped tidal waves in their tracks with his superbreath and he's evacuated entire planets when their stars threaten to go Supernova. Nobody is saying Superman is an asshole for not stopping natural disasters in entirety: They're saying that he's inconsistent for only stopping some of them some of the time, despite knowing every one that happens and hearing every cry for help that exists.
Doing nothing isn't evil, but if your dad dies during a tsunami and the next week you see Superman saving people from a tsunami you're in the right to think Superman is a cunt since he actively chose to let your Dad die despite possessing the means to save him and it being of no inconvenience to himself. Hell, why does nobody feel pissy due to the fact that Superman will do nothing while millions die, but will fly across the Earth just to save Lois Lane 15 times a day?
I wouldn't mind it so much if Superman experienced this same thing in kind, but he doesn't. How would Superman react if Pa Kent had a heart attack while Superman was off-world but the Ambulance never arrived because the paramedics were having a party? Or what if a being unquestionably stronger than Superman (as in, Supes can't beat him at all) started exploiting his off-time? Him being a God in power needs to be reflected in characterization.
Well that's the appeal of plenty of smaller-scale heroes like Spiderman. The fact that he does truly believe he has a responsibility to help people due to having the power to help. Superman believing he doesn't have a responsibility to help would be fine so long as they actually characterized him appropriately: As it is he's supposed to be the big blue boy-scout without actually acting like one should.

Was her doctor named Pavel?

This

So your script would have had them fighting in the south pole or something? Fuckin faggot. Look i do get the bitching about fuckin Dennys obvious product placement, killing Johnathan Kent with "lol dad said to not save him" after akward and pointless angst argument.

But you stupid stupes fans were so fuckin annoying and backstabbing you cried about one of the few decent attempts at revamping Superman. Superman 2 was nuked because of your collective tantrum and we got an even bigger shitpile with BvS because they were also scared about doing a direct sequel.

It's not as bad as the "fans" that complained about how Bruce Wayne quit being Batman at the end of Rises, even though he was too old for that shit, it was Alfred begged him to do and he left a worthy successor in his place. They are the reason why comics can never truly retire Batman or kill off Superman, because then people would start bitching, about how Superman should never die, or Batman should never retire. It's stagnated comics with reboot after reboot after reboot, instead of doing what the Flash did, and have worthy successors.

Yes it was. There wasnt nearly as large of a fanbase temper tantrum as there has been from autistic Superman fans that border or even surpass autistic trekkie fans.

That ending was the most obvious executive interference I've ever seen in my life.

My issue wasn't that fight took place in the city, but that Clark made no visible effort to move it outside of it. Of the two, Zod gave no shits where the fight took place, because as long as he won, everyone would die anyways. Zod didn't have a reason to stay in the city, but Clark had good reason to try and get him away from there. A good version of that fight scene would have been Clark throwing Zod into the country, them punching each other, and then when Zod sees Clark do something like take a hit specifically to save a family in an SUV or something, Zod would realize that fighting in the middle of metropolis would give him a huge advantage over Superman.

REEEEEEEEEEEEE that's not my Batman

Want to know how I know you have never been in a fight with someone who also is a fighter?

Please tell me how your Judo classes taught you about fights between two superpowered being throwing each other through buildings at mach 3

You cant control a fuckin fight spilling out to an area you couch potato moron. Sure you can control the opponents distance and their ability to land blows. But your "its make believe" is just as retarded as Superman acting like he can make an effort to save people when fighting a super powered opponent flying through buldings at mach 3.

lol

I know you haven't, because controlling the location of the fight is one of the first things you learn the first few times when getting into fisticuffs with another person.

Not really, you're acting like a cunt to think he's got the moral responsibility to travel half the world to save your dad just because he has the means to do so.
It's still an inconvenience to have to swap to your super suit and do all this stuff when he could instead be enjoying his life. There's no shortage of suffering in the world to the point that even Superman could make a full-time job combating it.

This is correct, Superman is written quite inconsistently in this regard.
Sometimes he does act as if he's a slave to those in peril and I believe this is not a good way to portray superman.

Instead, it would be more consistent for his character to be the country boy that has been taught to pitch in to help, so he does it because it's more of a habit, not because there's some grand moral duty to sacrifice oneself for the sake of the many on a daily basis.

Acting the big blue boy-scout can work as long as he's helping people for his own enjoyment, as his own hobby, kind of like volunteer work.
This would explain why he'd most of the time pick the problems that are simplest to solve rather than the ones with the most dire consequences if he doesn't.

Your right, i guess he should have told Zod to bring his planet destroyer ship to the Sahara or the south pole like a real man. You fools were so elated with your own personal moral outrage over a justifyably understandable fight against another krypotonian, and you all fucked the rest of us Superman fans out of a sequel with the internet wide bitching. You just couldnt get over the fact no one liked your Superman Returns version. "Fans" (or autistic faggots) that buy into the crap that you complain about are on par with the fans that harassed Lucas to the point he sold SW, resulting in Disney screwing up Star Wars.

Harmon knows what's up. Fuck superman.

Hey Holla Forums

I am sure he can earn enough money as a bodyguard at the local night club.

Except he should have been. Same with massive civilian casualties. Should have always been there.

You do realize Boy Scouts of the 50s were given rifleman training right?

Even as a Boy Scout, he should be killing some motherfuckers.

Man of Steel was perfect for exactly that reason. It didnt matter that Supes might have wanted to fight in an uninhabited place. The villains didn't care.

The faster Supes defeats, the more lives he saves.

Neat

Boy Scouts used to be fucking awesome.

Sadly I only got to shoot an actual rifle once at camp. Most of the time I just practiced with a bb gun. Still, good times.

Which is exactly what he does. Superman is practically invincible and immortal. Batman straight up tells him this in the justice league cartoon, that while Superman is bulletproof the rest of them are not. Because if Batman doesn't do that, Supes will forget.

He needs the people around him to humanize him because if not then his arrogance and do-gooder nonsense leads straight to injustice.

Actually both anons are right, just remember in Bruce Wayne: murderer he completely dropped Bruce ID and went full Batman for 6 month even dropping his batfamily

Funny how you completely forgot that Bruce Wayne drop money on literally anything he can, He rebuild Gotham from nothing in no mans land; he paid for a full on armor vest for all cops in blüdheaven after being accused of murder, he have a full on tuition for collage for anyone that just works for him, he pays for all medical needs of any CEO that works for him, he have Leslie medical suplies deliver 24/7, he have a drug healing center and orphans house full cover

Now I can certify you talk out of your ass and only from shit you have read on college humor

That's not how you use that phrase user, in comics only few can actually be said to be "killed off for good" not even uncle Ben or Thomas Wayne had been stable death

Well "the angrier it gets, the stronger it gets" is basically the point of hulk, he slapped a planet in half once in mid rage, he had gently sex while on world war hulk….I wouldn't call that a shit power level

Make way to the only good thing coming out of this shit thread

I just went a bit overboard to show the point about superheroes are as useful and as retarded as writers want.

I wonder when SJW's at DC will ruin Krypto as well by having him cuck Supes with Louis/Lana/Diana/ or whoever to promote bestiality. It's 2017, time to learn to be more tolerant and progressive.Of course it will be eventually retconned away in equally stupid manner as well.

"Haha Superman, you thought your canine companion defiled the love of your life, but it was me, Luthor!"

I wanna fug Regan.

Well Zod uppercutted Superman to outer space and then they somehow managed to end up back in the exact same spot, with Superman controlling the fight, which seems pretty unlikely unless MAN OF MURDER steered the fight back there so he could MURDER some more

If there is no money she will just steal more.

Maybe because he didn't forget about the TERRAFORMING SPACE SHIP DESTROYING THE PLANET.

Then what does she need Bruce for?

Still is if you don't live in a cucked state. I learned to use rifles, shotguns, and blackpowder rifles.

Hey now!

s-stop it…

Dictator Superman is best Superman.

He's handsome and has a penis.

There fun little deviations

the answer you seek lies at the end of Red Son
The Superman of Red Son does all as you describe, but he begins to notice their reliance on him
that's why superman does not fix every little problem

Bu this isn't the original Batman, this is the Nolanverse batman. How the original one ended doesn't matter, plus there are so many reboots and parallel universes, that I am not even sure what value the original one's ending even has.

Now there fun little norms

No it goddamn doesn't, like 50 other people have misinterpreted what I'm saying in the exact same way.
The problem isn't that Superman doesn't do enough.
The problem isn't that Superman doesn't fix all the worlds problems
The problem is that he easily can, and is written in such a way that his characterization would make him WANT to do that, yet he doesn't. He flies half-way across the world to save a small African child from a flood but he leaves the 10,000 other people dying at that moment to their own devices for no reason, despite being able to save them.
Supermans powerset allows him to hear every single problem occurring everywhere in the world at all times, yet he acts on less than 0.01 percent of what he hears, and he doesn't do it with any consistent basis for what warrants him taking time out of his day to do it. If Superman is as morally righteous of a character as he is intended to be then this question would be answered, but his writers are retarded and they've made what is for all intents and purposes a God who acts purely on whimsy.

Supes confirmed for big guy.

This.

Either depower Superman or change how he is written for his status quo actions to make sense. There's plenty of silly silver era precedents to justify the change for more selfish asshole Superman if they want to retain his assload of OP powers just as his most common characterization as do-gooder boyscout would get lot more oomph with massive power nerf eliminating his ability to instantly detect & fix problems at very low cost.

The biggest problem with writing a Superman that fixes every problem is that he'd cease to be a character. But yeah, the problem is definitely the writing, you could easily have Superman explain that he can't listen out for every little thing because not even he can concentrate with trillions of little noises going on all at once and sometimes he has to make hard choices about what he deals with because despite all his speed, he can't be in multiple places around the world at once.

It seems like all these problems are related to super hearing. I don't even think super hearing is possible since most sounds aren't loud enough to travel great distances. Note that I'm talking about the physics of sound as the limiting factor rather than the plausibility of Superman.

You can thank the writers for his muh Kryptonian übermensch bullshit which makes Superman genius with insane reaction & brain processing times on top of the usual assortment of his bullshit superpowers.

To make this post productive one, which abilities/traits of Supes the DC would need to either axe or nerf to fix his asshole-dilemma?

Personally I believe the hearing & other sensory perception, cognitive abilities which currently let him perfectly deal with the endless information his senses bring him and think/react faster than lightning and his speed would have to get nerfed. If Superman cannot 1) detect crises all over the world 2) instantly or even decently make sense of the bullshit data he is getting and 3) react/get there fast enough to solve them almost effortlessly then the currently pathetic defenses that "Supes totally can't help everyone" would actually be valid in my opinion. When you have God as fast or almost as fast Flash that both hears and understands everything that's happening
on the Earth that bullshit does not fly and just make Superman look like arbitrary asshole acting on his whims to amuse himself.

How does he hold down a job anyway?

So, DCAU Supes?

Essentially. DCAU Supes did have problems with inconsistent power-levels but he was severely depowered outside of Superman:TAS crossover episodes, and it gave him a lot of charm.
When he raced the Flash in that one episode of TAS it felt stupid even to young me because it pretty much made The Flash pointless.

Take out his mega brain fast learning shit firstly. He always have been a muscle guy that's why Luthor was his brainy enemy
Nerf the hearing. Solving the fact that he could save everyone because he can hear everyone….an user said to make it difficult to concentrate because he hear 7billion of people talking on top of normal noise
Depower him with the sun radiation so he actually need to rest of have to stop sometimes

Here, now you have a Superman that ain't shit and solves all the major problem he gets

For our next trick: how to solve flash

I like the idea that he can't really perceive shit as fast as he moves. So he could move faster than light but couldn't read when moving that fast or be able to distinguish things.
Being able to barely distinguish is a good one, but it needs to be more city-scale and not world-scale.
This is the big one. Make it so he needs sunlight every so often or he depowers. Make it so red sun radiation actually effects him instead of being a little annoying.

You'd also need to get rid of his army of super-strong, intelligent robots.
Make it so that he needs lots of energy, food and shit.

Pic related.

Around that ballpark, though probably still toned down a tad. After all DCAU Supes still had some moments of absolute bullshit like racing Flash which mentioned.

So th most important nerfs would be:
1) Nerf the endless stamina
2) Nerf Kryptonian brain, synergy with 3) as harder time to process his sensory information would explain inaction
3) Nerf senses by limiting both their range and quality of perception
4) Speed which has synergy with 2) and 3). If Supes can't just pull Sanic and gottagofast without risking actually creating massive damage and endangering people this combined with all of the other nerfs handily explains why Superman is not just saving everyone across the world. It might even add some depth to his character by forcing him to weight lives he could save by rushing to save people at the edge of his perception with the lives he would endanger by rushing recklessly there when he can't detect shit at SANIC speeds.

Its just shitposters from Holla Forums, ignore and report for bait/ derailing.

Flash's character flaw has always been his impatience, so make that tied to his powers. Make his speed two separate powers. Perception of time, and physical speed. When running through the city, he perceives time relatively normally, because if he doesn't, it removes the fun of running fast. But if something unexpected happens, say some citizen randomly gets shot by a sniper or something for some reason, he has to react with normal human speed to activate his fast "perception of time." He doesn't leave it on, otherwise the world is boring as shit to live in and no one could do that.

The other option is to just make is so he needs to actually get a running start on moving fast, and can't go from standing still to mach 8 in one foot step.