Brazil's impeachment hearings just finished. Rousseff is out, Temer is in

Brazil's impeachment hearings just finished. Rousseff is out, Temer is in.
What does this mean for the future of the Brazilian left? Keep in mind that Temer is a porky par excellence.

Other urls found in this thread:

lrb.co.uk/v33/n07/perry-anderson/lulas-brazil
www12.senado.leg.br/noticias/materias/2016/09/02/sancionada-lei-que-altera-regras-para-remanejar-orcamento
reddit.com/r/BrasildoB/comments/50vk9s/ao_final_dilma_foi_afastada_por_um_crime_que/
blogdojuca.uol.com.br/2016/09/nota-publica-do-movimento-por-verdade-memoria-justica-e-reparacao/
jacobinmag.com/2016/09/brazil-pt-rousseff-temer-coup-carwash-impeachment/
imgur.com/NruiMgV
www1.folha.uol.com.br/mercado/2016/09/1811465-governo-quer-aumentar-limite-de-jornada-diaria-de-8h-para-12h.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We need a Vargas of the Left.

Fuck everything and everyone; just nuke this shithole.

Are you specifically referring to Brazil?

What Brazilian left?
PT isn't left anymore since at least 2 decades now.
Any other "leftist" party doesn't have not even a slightly chance of winning anything because brazilian people are one of the most classcucked peoples in the world second only to the americunts.
Also don't even get me started on how parties like PSOL got completely taken over by idpol shit.

With all the violence over there you'd imagine they'd shoot a politician once in a while

All they needed to do was let the communists come to power in the 60's and unite Latin America
It didn't need to be this way

Another populist-in-chief? This is an illusion, camarada.

IMO, what the brazillian working class needs to do now (and in the future) is: to occupy the schools, the land, and above all, occupy the factories, and start building a general mass strike, to defend the jobs and wages.

[class struggle intensifies]

Dictatorships, user.

che died for our sins. latin america should have listened to him

So much this

Lula and company are fucking retards

Come fucking on now. The face of the party is a SJW jewess

user, in the past we got Plinio Arruda being based.
Psol really lost their edges.

Brazilian left is a fucking joke, Dilma was a weak president that let the economy in ruins and trusted the most corrupt degenerates she could find
No one knows how things will work out for brazilian leftists from now on, unfortunately they wasnt very united in the past and I dont see it changing now

Good luck with that, parceiro

FTFY

Por que é tão bela esta mulher ,Holla Forums?

Quem ao menos é essa vagabunda?

This is the type of idiot that made the impeachment possible, btw.

The Left in Brazil has this absolutely infantile problem of thinking in terms of moral absolutes instead of historical and gradual advancements, and it refuses to support anyone who is not the "real Left" regardless of what tools are being employed against it.

We can expect pretty much everything done against the Worker's Party to be done against a radical Left in a much greater scale, and one would expect the Left to realise this and start immediately robbing the enemy of its strategic and tactical maneuvers even if that implies coming to the protection of an unpopular political entity, or one that we disagree with.

But no: there's no place for long-term, institutional and structural thinking for the brazilian Left. Only the sort of "critique" of the "sell outs" you'd expect from someone who reads AdBusters but not Marx, which is a luxury a north-american or french person can afford, but not someone living in a country that has had its democratic institutions consistently under attack for a century now.

What we need to do is defend our right to elect a leader that will not be removed whenever the plutocracy wishes, not fetishize silly Occupy tactics that never worked for developed countries and won't work here.

This is true about most of the western left

I always get a little disappointed when I take an interest in a sentence or two of something in a foreign language over the internet, and run it through google translate, thinking I'll find a valuable insight from a different culture, only to learn that what was said was completely uninteresting.

Cry me a river, comrade.

I'm not upset. I just need to realize that not being able to read something does not make that something automatically intriguing. I guess most people are saying the same things, just with different words.

Honestly, I doubt it. If the Right in the US or in Europe decided to manipulate the system in order to rob the liberal center out of political power entirely, I bet most of the Left would unite with this very center it hates because they'd realise that this might create a precedent whose long-term evils will easily outweigh anything bad Labour, SPD or the Democrats could ever do. There's enough advanced political thought in the grassroots to see the long-term implications of a change in the political process of a country, to communicate its dangers to the general audience and to mobilize them accordingly.

In Brazil, historical development pretty much lead to a situation where all this advanced political thought is firmly entrenched within a few center-left parties, and the Left-of-the-Left are typically young, middle-class anarchists or bolsheviks, and there's nothing wrong with that, but ours usually don't have a lot of theory in them and approach mainstream politics with a certain nihilism that they can afford, and that they aggrandize by thinking of it as having higher moral and political standards. So when you try to communicate your concerns over the impeachment in terms of the legal and institutional shrinkage of the political space in which left-of-center parties can maneuver for short-term gains, they usually bring up something bad PT did or was part of, then you insult each other and call it a day.

You're a good socdem. You want a sugar? Daddy Porky will give you a sugar.

Not that user, but If you think workers occupying the factories, land, schools, and building general strikes is "silly Occupy tactics," then you got some Marx to read comrade.

Marx would advise you to "occupy" caserns, police stations and prisons first.

Strikes are one thing, occupying is another. And I think that if mass strikes could happen they would have already happened.

There's like, 99% of chance that you don't know what the reform vs revolution debate is all about, but you assume you do.

cite lenin to educate

ARMED STRUGGLE WHEN

WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY POPULAR ASSEMBLIES?

Never

Refer to

Has anyone else noticed a sudden reappearance of anarchists on the Brazilian left?

No.

I heard that mass protests ae happening in São Paulo and other big cities, anyone here participating?

Too bad I live in a irrelevant capital of the Northeast with a dead left.

I misreaded northeast as northwest and was ready to make an Acre joke

kys pls

BRchan-culture has a tradition of literally translating memes, (as did Brazilian Art, initially), so you weren't really wrong, it's called anthropophagy.

As past left-of-center governments have showed, it's not possible to maintain a progressive government in Brazil for a long term by class conciliation, specially because of our elites colonial origins. The PT government would be betrayed by their allies one day or another.

Brazilian elites have already proved that they have little to no respect even for liberal democracy and are even willing to disrespect the constitution to achieve their objectives.

Our only viable option to even implement a long-term mixed economy is a revolution. Too bad our left is too attached to bourgeoisie elections to mobilize anything. Also, our trade unions are all co-opted by political party interests and are unable to offer and independent resistance against capitalism or even neoliberalism (see CUT and CTB failing to oppose Dilma government austerity measures because "it'd only make the right-wing stronger").

Translated memes is how you can tell a chan is shit.
I miss secta, they put effort into coming up with their own memes.

lol.

we could just bring back Varguismo or immitate China in Dengism, Neoliberals will hopefully have been discredited in a decade or two, and the population won't stand the dismantlement of SUS or Public Education , even if they might have to learn the hard way regarding essential industries like Petrobras.
Take Jingoist chest-beating back from the right, drop "social" "issues" mandated by "leftist" cliques and establish an industrialist program, necessarily combined with tenacious anti-corruption measures to stanch anti-political sentiment that's been on the rise.

I meant Brazilian chan culture, not specifically referring to BRchan, sorry.

So, class conciliation? Because it worked so well the last times.

Not if right-wing media continues being hegemonic. Also, aren't we forgetting all those right-wing think tanks such as Instituto Millennium and Students For Liberty, that are sponsored by international porkies?

I agree, since public health care and education are issues that even the right-wing demonstrators from the impeachment protests support, but I'm afraid some minor damage could be done, since the mainstream media fully supports Temer government. Also there has been this trend of "morally criminalizing" mass protests there are against media interests (compare early June 2013 with impeachment protests).

Look at this Nazbol. Also, what you call "leftist cliques" are already deeply entrenched on our left-wing thought since the last century. I bet even MST base communities in the deep rural areas support most of these "social" issues. They're not negotiable.

I agree, but they are much an oxymoron if it's done with our current industrial bourgeois class. Even worse if we consider that our industrial porkies are also financial porkies. Also, a industrialist program guided by capital would lead to unchecked environmental devastation, if it's done, it should be by the state.

If the Elite's respect for democracy is a measure of whether or not revolution should be an option, then it also is, mutatis mutandis, a measure of whether or not democracy still has a progressive historical role to play. It wouldn't be a threat to be dealt with otherwise.

On the other hand, if they can choose to ignore popular participation then we need a more radical option as plan B to make them settle for plan A.

What we ought to do, then, is to approach the reform-revolution problem not as a contadiction but as synergy: a radical, revolutionist, militant wing should be ready to work with but also oppose a larger reformist, pragmatic, partisan wing. They have to work together strategically against the right and the center while diverging tactically. If this bond is broken, then the Center no longer has its legitimacy and political capital to pass reforms, and the Left no longer has the certainty that it is protected, will probably grow isolated, lose its influence and become insignificant like the developed world's Left.

This is why, as radicals, we need to follow a discipline of siding with the reformists under circumstances like that even if they hate us and if our ideology has grown apart. On the long term, on terms not of individual and legislatory action but of historical necessity, we need them just like they need us. And the Worker's Party has been shit at adhering to this, but we need to make them realise that there is no other option instead of breaking this arrangement completely.

fucking anarkiddies here know no fucking balance

Oh, my goodness.

Tankies are not Nazbols.

Well, then I say it's time to de-entrench them.

I'm almost sure they don't. Middle-class and upper-class people are the ones who support this kind of thing, mostly.

You know, most people don't vote on PT because of these issues. If they dropped these issues, possibly they would start getting more votes, not less.

I'm not the tankie, btw.

This isn't the 20th century anymore bruh.
The core of our economy has moved from industries to the services sector.
Also, we simply cannot compete against China in the industry stuff unless you want to drop all of our worker befits, labour laws and taxes.

all these people here judging on PT's "reformism without reforms" and class conciliation have all right to do it but you have also to remember that this is the reason they got the power for so long: the brazilian masses would never vote for a revolutionary party, because they have no revolutionary "spirit", they fear chaos more than the rich, they have no resentment for the rich, they're ultra-classcucked. PT had to send a "Letter to The Brazilian People" to say that they were bringing the apocalypse. The best well-known work on PT is Peter Singer's Lulismo (don't know if it exists in english)

"A second interpretation looks to a different parallel. The political scientist André Singer, press secretary to Lula in his first mandate, but an independent and original mind, has pivoted a striking analysis of Lulismo on the psychology of the Brazilian poor. This, he argues, is a sub-proletariat, comprising nearly half – 48 per cent – of the population, that is moved by two principal emotions: hope that the state might moderate inequality, and fear that social movements might create disorder. On Singer’s reading, instability is a spectre for the poor, whatever form it takes – armed struggle, price inflation or industrial action. So long as the left failed to understand this, the right captured their votes for conservatism. In 1989, Lula won the prosperous south, but Fernando Collor, brandishing the danger of anarchy, swept the poor to gain a comfortable victory. In 1994 and 1998, Cardoso’s throttling of inflation ensured him a still larger margin of the popular vote. In 2002, Lula finally grasped that it was not just builders and bankers who needed reassurance that he would not do anything unduly radical in power, but – even more crucially – street vendors and slum-dwellers too. Only in 2006, however, was a complete reversal of allegiances sealed, as the middle class abandoned him while the sub-proletariat voted for him en masse. When he first ran for office in 1989, Lula took 51.7 per cent of the electorate in the south of the country, and 44.3 per cent in the famished north-east; in 2006, he lost the south at 46.5 per cent, and swept the north-east with 77.1 per cent.

The economic orthodoxy of Lula’s first term, and the lesser but continuing caution of his second, were thus more than simple concessions to capital. *They answered to the needs of the poor, who, unlike workers in formal employment, cannot defend themselves against inflation and dislike strikes even more than the rich, as a threat to their daily lives*. So, coming after Cardoso, Lula cut inflation still further, even as he attended to popular consumption, pioneering a ‘new ideological road’ with a project combining price stability and expansion of the internal market. In this, Singer suggests, he displayed his sensitivity both to the temperament of the masses and to the political culture of the country at large, each in their own way marked by a long Brazilian tradition of conflict avoidance. Vargas too, until he was under siege at the end, had generally embodied that trait. Lula can thus indeed be regarded in certain respects – in his ability to square the concerns of capital and labour; to exploit favourable external circumstances for internal development; to assert national interests; and above all, to make a connection with the previously inarticulate masses – as Vargas’s heir, offering a potent blend of authority and protection as the ‘father of the poor’ had once done. But in other ways, his popular roots as a penniless immigrant from the north-east and his unimpeachably democratic commitments gave him far greater legitimacy and credibility as a defender of the people than a wealthy rancher from the south, who left the rural masses essentially untouched in their misery, could ever possess. Lula did not see himself as a descendant of Vargas. The president with whom he identified was Kubitschek, the builder of Brasilia, another optimist who never willingly made an enemy."

lrb.co.uk/v33/n07/perry-anderson/lulas-brazil

this article is a bit dated (2011, so it was a bit too optimistic) but his presentation of Singer's and De Oliveira's arguments are worthwhile

weren't bringing the apocalypse, sorry.

Anarchists in Brazil adopted a "against all of them" position, though.

www12.senado.leg.br/noticias/materias/2016/09/02/sancionada-lei-que-altera-regras-para-remanejar-orcamento

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm going to cry, I hate everything in this fucking political system

Long and short of it?

holy shit

The "fiscal crime" that Dilma got accused of in her impeachment process just got legalized.

Isn't it time for you to start calling everyone a faggot aswell?

i don't have anyone to show this to

What the hell?

From some Olavete, right?

So, what do we do from now on?

inb4 "just wait for 2018 and elect Lula again"

Just leaving this here

reddit.com/r/BrasildoB/comments/50vk9s/ao_final_dilma_foi_afastada_por_um_crime_que/

Acho que vi no fb do nando moura.

Let me translate it for our gringo bros:

The ship says "relax, people! the problem is only PT" but the hammer-and-sickle iceberg is literally a coalition of feminists, Illuminatti, bolivarians, Gramsci (lol), Education Ministry, Soros, Brazilian (neoliberal) media, and some Facebook pages (lolol). All together to stop bolsomito (br facist who has strong nostalgia for the millitary dictatorship).

Best of all: ABSOLUTELY NOT IRONICAL

pls respond

"Hello, anão! It's good to finally meet you. How is Brazil doing? I hope things didn't turn into shit."

What do you say?

I wake up because he is dead.

That's a great article that just made me like Perry Anderson even more.

Same influence of Big Oil in the highest reaches of the Brazilian government?

Is anyone here in São Paulo? Are you going for the protests tomorrow?

Reddit? REDDIT???

Brasil do B must be one of those subs where you get banned for criticizing Hillary Clinton. Or for criticizing Jean Wyllys.

I honestly wish we had a 2nd amendment and access tot eh arsenal the US has, because, BOY, right now, I'm feeling like I have nothing to lose.

Nope. PSOL (especially Jean Wyllys and Luciana Genro) is commonly criticized there. And there is a thread in the sub front page where most of the comments agree that both Trump and Clinton are horrible.

Nordestefags, where can I get informed about protests happening in my city?

We need a word for people who gets their worldview from foreign internet

Brazil is the worst case of this, if you look for information about the lead mask case in portugues most of the info was translated from english even if the case happened in brazil. Its just phony.

Ironic retardation is still retarded

blogdojuca.uol.com.br/2016/09/nota-publica-do-movimento-por-verdade-memoria-justica-e-reparacao/

?

It seems that the Frente Povo Sem Medo is handing over anarchists (Black Blocks) to the Military Police.

Refer to>>906532

We are used to it, sadly.

jacobinmag.com/2016/09/brazil-pt-rousseff-temer-coup-carwash-impeachment/

I've seen some very eeky leftist types recently. I remember when a couple of weeks ago there was this blog who posted news against the impeachment, and they were all happy when there were some famous artists from Globo supporting Dilma. Well, if people from Globo support you and you get happy about it, you can be sure there's something wrong with you.

And in a forum there was this guy who likes to post news from US sites, even when it's about something that happened in Brazil, because in his Caviar Left world of view, it gives more credibility to the information. Just like the case you said.

And then there's the worst of all. There was this guy who was both a neocon and an SJW at the same time. I never realized it up to some time ago, but there are actually a lot of people like that.

I remembered one more strange type: the "Marxist liberal SJW".

They're like this: a regular SJW who comes to a marxist board. But when he realizes that people there are not liberals, he starts to use typical marxist-leninist language. So he continues to be as liberal as ever, but making very well-written posts, kind of a black propaganda.

Do you have proof of that?

Because "it seems" can be very dangerous when there are so many attempts to divide and conquer the Left. Hearsay and rumor are a powerful tool for that.

What happened with internationalism?

What do you mean?

I mean, if you start do consider socdems true leftists things surely can get eeky.

imgur.com/NruiMgV

What should we do with ex-left traitors such as Fernando Gabeira, Roberto Freire and Cristovam Buarque?

I'm kinda hopeful for a Temer government tbh, if only China would buy the entirety of Petrobras I would be so happy. Obviously this kind of development wouldn't have been possible if PT hadn't freed us from the US's claws, but yah, I like where this is going.

Reguffe ter sido eleito pelo PDT me enoja pra ser honesto, eu não esperaria políticos honestos da esquerda em Brasília, porém.

Ladies and gentlemen, tankies.

you don't know what demoralization does to people.

It's a troll tankie. This one doesn't count.

Why does Olavo de Carvalho look like Noam Chomsky?

Maybe it's time to admit that communism isn't possible unless you're white.

That means Argentina will save SA.

>Peronist gets Banned and is therefore being a Nazi on some other thread
topkek

www1.folha.uol.com.br/mercado/2016/09/1811465-governo-quer-aumentar-limite-de-jornada-diaria-de-8h-para-12h.shtml

HUE!
I'm just laughing at all the stuff going on right now.
In the end it might be good to teach a lesson for the people, they choose to support the coup now they are going to suffer with rightist retardation.

and people is not going to blame the government for this crap.

We really do need a Brazilian (or even South American) general thread.

every time we have it dies before the 200 posts mark.