Anyone remember when Iron Man was a C list character?

Anyone remember when Iron Man was a C list character?

I was big on X-Men, literally the only comic I had with Iron man in it was some bizarre cameo where I think he was under the control of Shadow King or something

So yeah

I remembered how I had some doubts over the movie having any success because Iron Man was stained by Civil War at the time.

those were the days. stark did his own thing and had his own rogues gallery. sure, he was in the avengers most of the time, but that almost never affected his own comic.
mutants? aliens? fuck that gay shit, i'm gonna go to the 7-11, get an iron man comic, and read about a dude in power armor beating the shit about other dudes in power armor, flying home, and fucking some chick he'll never see again.

We can never go back.

That was when Marvel promoted X-men and Fantastic Four

Back in the 90s and part of the 80s Marvel's A-listers were basically limited to Spider-Man and X-Men. Everything else was B-list and below.
Good thing was that it resulted in better stories, since Marvel was not overprotective of non-A list characters. Downside was the constant bombardment with mutants, and X-fags who thought that Gambit was the best thing to ever grace comic books.

I like that everyone forgot about how shitty the Civil War comic was because video games, cartoons and movies took the plotline and did it over again 1000x better.

The movie definitely didn't do it better. Felt like they had even less of a reason to fight than in the comic. It was basically just Cap trying to protect his friend from facing unfair punishment. Not much of a war.

More like b list since he had cartoon, toyline and major character in comic before movie

In a way, he still is C-list. Sure, the movies' have put Iron Man on the pop culture radar, but his actual comic book is in a very weird place. Partly because his post-Civil War trajectory is hard to nail down; besides a literal mindwipe/reboot to keep secrets away from Osborn and the annoying "revelation" that he isn't even Howard and Maria's actual son. Marvel letting Bendis actually continue the latter plot point, kill off Rhodes, put Tony in a coma in a shitty crossover, and replace him with both fucking Doctor Doom and a black female OC certainly doesn't seem like the way a A-list character should be treated….

Anyone remember when Robert Downey Jr. was a C list actor?

Look at where Cap, Thor, and Hulk are. Spider-man isn't in an outright terrible spot but he's still suffering from this current year treatment badly.

Or dragons. Because he's a knight in shining armor and shit.

and yet, while Tony's motives in the movie seem petty, his motives in the comic were almost nonexistent AND he was an arbitrary asshole with an interdimensional prison at his disposal.
really the only thing that killed the movie was how much of a nobody the villain was, and yet that was part of the point; something small can cause a huge ripple

I thought he a supporting character for Spiderman for a long time. The Spiderman cartoon was the only place I ever saw him.

And Spiderman

He emerged at around the same time the Fantastic Four fell from grace and Batman ascended over Superman. Maybe it was a vacuum

I disagree. In the comics Tony was written like a fuckwit and Cap was obviously right, but in the film both Tony and Cap were being fuckwits which at the very least made it seem like a real confrontation.
Yes, the movie sucked because everyone was being a fucking retard, but it was at least better written than the comic.

Reminded me of a time when Blade was Marvel's first successful bet at mass appeal blockbuster movies.

And then they fucked it up by letting Goyer direct the third movie. He killed off a golden goose.
At least we've got two great movies and Marvel didn't fuck up Blade. Not yet anyway.

Tony's problem in the comics is that he's rich white male, the fact that his business is largely weapons is just icing on the cake. During and after Civil War he was a stand in for the Bush administration. After Civil Where he would show up in the comic just so he could be told off, beaten up, or humiliated. And the ride never really ended. It just been fucking with him and having him apologize for shit. Dude hasn't been written happy in a long time.
Current year Marvel will always throw him under the bus first chance they get, because he's too much what they hate on the surface level. They lack the ability to write him like a hero, to embrace the fun of someone who can make weapons, or to embrace him being a dude. Can you see any of the faggots at Marvel letting Tony just fuck some bimbo and be done with her?

It was during the time all Marvel movies were licensed out

You'd think they would have incorporated Blade into the MCU before a literally who like Black Panther.

If they got back the rights, they would make him a Netflix character