Retcons that Ruined characters

Name retcons that made characters backstories weaker. Like Akira toriyama retcon Bardock backstory to make him a loving father and family man that sent Goku too earth to save him. Goku was no longer sent too earth to conquer the planet. He now a rip off of Superman. Also frieza killed the saiyan race because he feared that a Super saiyan God would be born one day. Which makes the concept of Super saiyan less important.

Fuck off, fag.
Only DBS-loving fanboys hate Minus. It didn't even retcon anything, it just did a canon take on a non-canon character. And answered many questions, like how Raditz knew both parents well enough to talk to Goku about them, how the Saiyans could be so stupid about Frieza's betrayal (they weren't), and how a simple smack on the head could suddenly make Goku decent.

It's like fags who prefer the movie History of Trunks to the manga chapter, despite it shitting on lore and worldbuilding. But of course, again, these are fanboys that actually enjoy DBS.

To answer your question and with something other than DBS and its shitty retcons, I'd say… Red Sonja's entire backstory getting retconned because Muh Rape or whatever. Goddamn. The resurrection thing was fucking stupid.

You are kidding right?

It literally changed the entire relationship between Goku and Grandpa Gohan by default.

It turns Goku into a (poor) Superman clone. It changes the Saiyans from a warrior race who tests their babies, forcing the weak to die in space or on planets far from their home.

It changes Bardock from a badass martyr to well, a 50's dad.

Holy shit, I want summer to end.

On topic, Maxwell Lord went from a used car salesman that weaseled his way into a position of power in the Justice League, to the cold and calculating leader of an evil organization hellbent on destroying all metahumans even though he was a cyborg, though apparently he's all better now or something. Also he shot one of my favourite characters in the head.

You say that now. By the way DC been going. We will probably see a official elseworld Superman and Goku crossover one day.

I wouldn't mind that, assuming they did it good. Doesn't change the fact the OP started off with fucking anime on a Western comics and cartoons board.

But does Goku mom have rule 34 of her yet?

Everything after Dragon Ball is really just picking and choosing what you want to be canon. Toriyama is horrible with consistency so I wouldn't worry to much about what is consistent. I think that youtuber would have benefited from that instead of having a hissy fit as well. For instance, I'm sure not many people view Super as canon, and I'm sure in a couple years it'll hold GT status. Even then you have to factor in various other universes that even acknowledge both of those. Hell, there's a whole semi-canon universe dedicated to an arcade card game.

He could've just retcon Goku mom removing saiyan programming before he was sent to earth

Also in the anime, Raditz says "I'm afraid you're far too valuable to us for that. You see, three years ago, our home planet Vegeta met with an unfortunate accident, when a huge comet splattered to its surface." Akira originally for that to be a fairly recent event, w/ Raditz coming to earth to look for Goku 'for a job' (it's long been speculated an attempt to kill Freiza, though that never manifests). It was Toei animation that botched that up.

Plus, Raditz never mentions either his father, nor his Mother. In fact, the only time Goku's father is mentioned in the Saiyan Saga is when Vegeta says 'Your father was an average fighter, but an amazing scientist' in the Ocean Dub.

What are you talking about!m? It did nothing but confirm the canon of super

Why do you fags always blame the anime on the creator of the manga?

Goku (and Kami) were always Superman clones. It doesn't change anything between Gohan and Goku that isn't anime-only.

Minus existed before Super. It tied into BoG. Super is Toei's shitty, non-canon attempt to appeal to lowest common denominator fans.

Short of being an alien no.

Fuck, Goku started out as a parody of Wukong from Journey to the West.

Actually, according to Trunks in Xenoverse, GT is an alternate timeline from the regular one (DB, DBZ & DBS) created when he went back in time. Thus, it's technically canon, even if it technically isn't.

Goku was an alien before Minus, you fucking retard. That was established in the first chapters of DBZ and hinted at beforehand.
It was also a gag manga at first, so I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Guys, chill.

Dragonball lore is loose and open to interpretation/contradiction. That's the way it was written from the start.

Just pick and choose what you like and ignore what you don't.

Toriyama doesn't give a shit, and neither should you.

Super is also not written by Toriyama but, for better or worse, IS canon.

Summerfag.
It's only loose if you rely too much on the anime. Outside of some mistakes because of shit editors and the series' corpse getting dragged along too long, the lore and worldbuilding is fairly solid.
It's Toei and Toei fanboys that fuck it up and will argue to death that DBS is canon and that there's no retcons, while simultaneously berating Toriyama for "forgetting" Trunks not going Super right away in History of Trunks– even though he can do it from the start in the manga.

He doesn't give a shit. He wrote DBZ on a tight schedule and made shit up as he went along. Even he didn't know what was canon and what wasn't.

That's why he forgot 90% of the characters he made.

DBS has Tori's name on it, too. Toei likes putting his name on shit to make it look more official.

You're the same kind of fag that insists GT isn't canon because Tori didn't write it.

He forgot Launch and planned to write her back in but decided his dumbass fans would think she's a Super Saiyan.
He fucks himself over with power cycles and forgets hair color. That's all.

You know who really doesn't care? Toei. They made Marron younger than she was in the Buu saga despite Tori's designs, fucked up Bra's age, forgot Goten and Trunks, and retconned shit like flying being a technique rather than an inherit skill, and you think THEY care?

GT cannot be Canon now because GT can't happen now.

Super completely overwrites GT and I don't recall anyone ever saying GT was canon back when it was the currently airing show. Even back then it was treated as a "What if we continue with this angle?" kind of thing.

No. They don't give a shit. The guy who wrote it doesn't give a shit. It's only the mindless fanboys who like to argue with each other who give a shit.

To make it super clear:

Dragon Ball is meant to be fun and entertaining. It isn't meant to be logical, consistent or high art. It's okay that they contradict themselves over and over – because it isn't important how many levels of Kaioken there are or how many Sayians were on planet Bubpkis before Freezer ate them.

What matters is cool things happen and fun stories get told.

I never understood the appeal of maxwell lord.

Not that I even knew the character before the shit show, but the retcon to Mockbird is probably the worst one that there is.

I know that dragon ball isn't meant to be logical. but some stuff they do is just outright retarded that just doesn't make sense even for a fun story. You can't have master roshi deflect a kamehameha from goku at super saiyan blue because he's been 'training in secret' that's just poor writing.

Android 17 was able to hold his own against goku because 'he's been fighting against poachers and training a lil bit on the side'

they reduced turning into a super saiyan from an emotional feeling to 'haha concentrate ur ki where it tingles in your back xd' I don't care about power levels, I just want some semblance of consistency.

What Toriyama is doing is the equivalence of having a writer have aquaman destroy superman in a battle of brute strength because he's been training a bit.

You're looking for >>>/a/.
This is Holla Forums, the board for Western comics and cartoons.

No shit, but that is where his comparisons to Superman end, at least until Minus came out.

Toriyama had a lot more control over the anime then Manga fans like to give credit too.

Please, he said it himself he honestly forgot about her.

He also forgot Saiyans had tails while designing Goten and Kid Trunks.

Dragon Balls real problem is that that at some point it did a pretty good job at being serious and emotional. At making fights MATTER and you care about these characters and what they go through. DB and early DBZ had wonderful filler arcs because of it.

Now it's so quick to rob stuff of meaning and weight. Just becoming useless noise that no one gives a shit about. Get me to care and then I'll bother to have fun.

Don't excuse shit writing with being "fun and silly XD"

Every time. Take this shit back to /a/.

Toriyama has admitted, multiple times, that he was just making everything up as he went along. He only had a couple chapters planned ahead at a time, but never decided on a definitive ending or goal for the series.

It technically belongs considering Toonami and Beyonder already said it was fine. The problem is there the reddit spacing faggot keeps taking the bait of the user that constant bitches about /a/.

I suppose you only watch the Funi dub of the special right?

>>>/a/

THINGS THAT ARE CANON

THINGS THAT ARE NOT CANON

but DBS is good

DBZ fandom loves to cherry pick info.

The Avatar being what happened when some guy let some Light Goddess hitch a ride in him.

Also, Toph being a slut and deadbeat mom.

Why do people hate GT again?

cause no matter how good it seems on paper its execution left a lot to be desired

Shit opinion right there. Rock the Dragon still the best. Watched Dragon Ball before it hit CN/Toonami.
The fuck was everyone but Goku getting their shit kicked in almost all the time?
Well fuck, you got me there.
I'm not even sure what you are trying to say here. Are you actually saying that Goku in DBZ was some Super Hero?
Only makes sense if their world wasn't on the brink of destruction. Also if the gang wasn't pussyfooting around every fucking time would it make any sense.
Vegeta was hen pecked the moment Bulma set her eyes on him
Just because freeza stayed a ghost doesn't mean that his appearance in GT was any less exploited for marketing
Debatable. Jack and shit happened to Baby, he was never a victim of the Saiyans. Only the creator of Baby was wiped out. There is no difference in back story between Baby and Cell.

If I actually listed all the retcons, I'd be here for hours.

So I'll just say Filoni and the CGI Clone Wars cartoon.