What went wrong?

What went wrong?

A decisive move to target idiots in lieu of being educational. Same reason MTV pivoted away from broadcasting music.
It matched the tone of other TV in the early thousands and targeted the lowest common denominator to maximise revenue. Same with National Geographic, too. Noticeable decline in content quality and a complete pivot to SHARK WEEK DEADLIEST CATCH ICE ROAD TRUCKERS NAZI MEGASTRUCTURES MYTHBUSTERS SHARK WEEK reality TV programming and sensationalist garbage in lieu of actual insightful content.

These institutions used to stand for something, and they were reduced to vending trash all day every day forever. It's very sad when you think where they've come from.

They started airing that garbage "reality" TV nonsense.
The channel that got the worst of it was TLC, which is also owned by Discovery.
How do you go from airing Paleoworld to Cake Boss in 15 years?

Same thing that goes wrong with every fucking for-profit educational or science channel: eventually they get a taste for reality television and can't let it go. It's like heroin.

NatGeo is high culture compared to Discovery, even now.

they started showing mammals doing it

I have a collection of old National Geographic dating back to the 30s. It used to be more of a scholarly journal.

Nice.

Why not just have a separate channel for that shit, why ruin an establish one?

I dunno. Maybe the execs couldn't afford to have a new channel. It's still stupid. Shame I remember watching Walking with Dinosaurs on Discovery as a kid. Good times.

Cashing in on the conspiritards.

People with brains dont watch tv anymore thats why desperate crap like CNN happens

Almost all of (((modern science))) and (((history))) are lies anyway. No great loss

>>>/autism/

SJW this is what happened, especially on their Youtube channel and website..

Round earther detected

oh fuck, of course he's a flatearther autist

It started with simple shit like Mythbysters and Scrapheap Challenge.
Then tons tried to copy that rather than make proper documentaries. Then came reality shows.
And it went downhill so bad they stopped war documentaries and let shit like Brainiac stay on air.

Took away animal docs to make separate channel.
Went full Hitler Channel for ten years not bad, then turned full redneck, as TV demographic is now over 60 years old.

I think I remember reading that some cunt became the CEO or got some big position, and he immediately started pitching ideas for trash reality TV.
I remember the good times in Animal Planet where it was only animal documentaries. Those countdowns with the fastest/most poisonous/strongest animals were cool, and to see all those breathtaking shots of nature and animals. Then they started putting animal-related movies at random, no big deal. Then they started focusing on humans more and more until the slogan, at least here, became "surprisingly human". I want to see animals doing cool shit, not LOL THEY'RE LIKE US :)

I didn't get to enjoy History Channel's golden years that much, but they did show quite a varied annoying of documentaries, from Chinese history, to a biography, etc. Now it's Pawn Shop channel.

The thing that irritates me the most is that while Discovery has been shit for more than ten years, they now had a shit ton of car shows. Then they opened Speed or something like that, a car/vehicle-focused channel. Ok, maybe they'll now remove all the car shows and put something else in there. Nope, the same 6-7 shows on Speed and they still have cars, cars, cars on Discovery.

National Geographic is also a tragedy, and the magazine with all those LGBTBBQ faggots in the cover didn't help.

History was the one that did a evil nazis and Hitler documentary every day for years on end before going full Nostradamus and ayy lmao in 2011

Because people were watching that channel, if you make a new one you are going to have to lure them over to that channel first. People are creatures of habit

I can't even recall if History Channel was ever any good. When I watched it, it was already the Hitler Channel.

In some twisted way, this is probably the most educational channel right now. Sure they show a lot of kids stuff, but late at night and early in the morning they show all sorts of documentaries from the history of mathematics, to the history of economics(they even had episodes dedicated to Ludwig von Mises and Karl Marx). Hell even the kids stuff, is decent with those old French cartoons about the human body or the history of the world. With the history of the world, they even showed naked tits from time to time, and implied that a woman got raped by a drunken Alexander the Great, as in we see Alexander, at a party, dragging a woman into a room, closing the door and his men cheering for him.

Actually the Earth is hollow so you're both wrong.

=^_^=

Better that than now. Though I do have fond memories of Modern Marvels.

Mankind subconsciously knows the frontiers of science have been hidden behind black projects in clandestine agencies for decades and are tired of learning the same shit since 1947. Time to rev up those flying triangles and end this disgusting charade of a civilization.

50% Cars shows
30% Antiques/Garages/People looking for used stuff
10% Shark week
10% Internet videos

0% kino

It was always shit tbqh