Nukes are useless

Imagine you'replaying a strategy game in the vein of civilization; except the nukes, instead of taking out a large proportion of troops/buildings and leaving a bit of fallout that can be scrubbed in like 3 turns, render a patch of land completely useless for a long period of time. You can't utilize its resources. You can't occupy it. You can't even pass troops through it without heavily armored vehicles or causing substantial damage to them. The land is now useless in virtually every way except as a barrier. To top it off, everyone's pissed off at you now.
How often would you use such a weapon?
Probably not very often unless you're fucking desperate. And if you're that desperate,chances are the enemy is more than capable of occupying and holding enough of your territory to make up for the now useless land.

Sure, you can take out some major production centers and slow down the war effort, but you'd only be delaying the inevitable. This is especially true if your opponent chooses occupation instead of nukes. They can take over one of your production centers and then use it to meet their needs.

Seriously, the only benefit of nukes is the fear factor. Big booms are scary and nobody wants to be living anywhere near radioactive fallout. But after the first nuke is dropped, the people will be emboldened in their desire to destroy the asshole who did it. Literally why are we blowing so much money on building such a useless fucking weapon?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Samson_Option:_Israel's_Nuclear_Arsenal_and_American_Foreign_Policy
archive.is/kkI46
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_independently_targetable_reentry_vehicle
archive.is/jql48
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

one: aliums
I know /x/ or whatever but thats not a joke. No matter your tech level a piece of the sun is gonna hurt your shit.
two: as russia has shown when you have them other super powers cant engage you directly.

three: Because we can.

Depends which Civ game. The mechanics are all different with 5 being the best

Maybe it's the only method to bring down a fortress city?
This is pretty situational, I don't know what else to say. You can launch them at stuff in outer space at least.

Goym, we, the people of Israel, cannot feel safe unless we have the power to reduce every living thing to radioactive cinder.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Samson_Option:_Israel's_Nuclear_Arsenal_and_American_Foreign_Policy

I was actually thinking a bit about that and you're right. Nukes would be viable in interplanetary war. But we're not anywhere near engaging in one.
They'd be retarded to actually use them though. They'd be better off with occupation and assassination (sure, nukes could be used for assassination as well but so could ground troops or even just one sniper with the right opportunity).

I'm not talking about the mechanics of any particular game. Civ was just the first that came to mind. We're actually talking about reality here.

tactics to take down well defended cities have existed for thousands of years,
Destroy their food sources and wait them out.

Occupy their nuclear command center.
Tons of damage will be accrued but you could do it before they get too many off. Hell, a couple bombing runs over their silos would render many of them non operational.

you have been playing too many video games. What you are describing is a 'dirty' bomb. old tech. we have 'clean' nukes now that leave behind very little in the way of radiation.

Christ man it's like you are just a faggot bitch whose only understanding of modern warfare is the electronic jew.

Why not just kill yourself, retard?

false.
dirty bombs are literally just bombs with radioactive material to spread around.
And im going to presume you're referring to the neutron bomb when you say "clean nuke." Those do still put out a fuckton of radiation that does stay in the environment for over a decade. Not to mention Bush Sr. disassembled our neutron bomb arsenal anyway.

Clearly you're unaware. Nuclear subs are submarines with a nuclear power plant built in.
You can load a submarine with nukes but that's not what a nuclear submarine is.

what did i say to imply i was angry?

This isn't middle ages, food reserves can last for years.

Just drop one on the enemy's capital and hope it causes enough panic, chaos, and loss of command structure to ensure an easy occupation of the resource-rich rural areas.

Nukes don't work that way. We nuked the shit out of Nevada with open air detonations and it's not much more of a wasteland than it was before. Even did lots of troop exercises with them. And Japan doesn't have two 'unusable for 10,000 years' scars, they rebuilt.

But nukes are useless for other reasons. They can't be used for skirmishes due to the PR factor, and real superpower wars in the modern era will be biological. Your country will die from some mystery disease before you're even sure who to retaliate against.

And would the people in the city be content with that?
Especially when you're firing artillery barrages every so often to remind them that their lives are in danger? Regardless, surrounding such a fortress city will render it useless for as long as it's holed up like that. even more so if you disrupt their communication. Troops from elsewhere would need to mobilize to counter the siege and then the "attacking" force will be in a defensive position which is generally a stronger one to be in in most circumstances.

you could achieve essentially the same effect with an artillery barrage. You wont have as much penetration but it will be a fuck of a lot cheaper and get the job done just as well.

Belka did nothing wrong.

Sure you can rebuild, but you need a a couple years.

sometimes you just want to kill them all and be done with it, user.

What if you are the only power with nukes user?

You could if you're desperate. I'm sure Iwo Jima helped give the green light on blasting Japan.

Honest answer: Because in a total war scenario where everything is a valid target, the ability to conclusively vaporize industrial and residential areas so finally that reconstruction is impossible within the time scope of the conflict is a massive advantage. The allies would bomb Nazi factories and the factories would be rebuilt in a month. When you nuke them, nobody's rebuilding shit, and if they do, it's somewhere else. Meaning somewhere less desirable than their first pick. You've also rendered transportation in and around the area nearly impossible, further creating greater logistic clusterfucks. All this for sneaking a single weapon to anywhere near the target resource.

If you're already in total war, who gives a fuck about what the neighbors think of you? Diplomacy is over. There is only winning or losing.

Civ V is shit-tier. IV for life.
Sage for pointless thread.

Once you pop, you just can't stop.

Truth.

I stayed up all night playing Civ V last night. I grabbed a mod pack that added a bunch of factions, one of which is Utsuho Reiuji. Her theme is nuclear power, and the penalties for your land being irradiated are not annuled, but inverted. So if you're willing to nuke your own land, each tile gains +3 Food, Production, and Gold. But you can't build on irradiated land, so you have to fully develop it with whatever you want, then nuke it all while carefully avoiding nuking the city itself, and then repair all the improvements without scrubbing the fallout.

Mod included some top-tier music selections for her faction.

>open first major war of game
>just got nukes
>Radiant Radiant Symphony kicks in as one of her war themes
>nuclear air-raid sirens in the backing

Come on now, don't compare the devestating power of a real nuke with that of fucking Civilization, where you can literally scrub fallout in 3 piss turns. Too bad I'm not proficent in knowledge of the military, but even I know that getting a nuke dropped on you sucks big shit. I have heard the russkis have some terrific nuke-versions, one that spreads into multiple smaller warheads and can cover an entire country, not to mention the tzar bomb that blew up an entire island or so I remember. Even if they have a defensive system against nukes, what says it still works if you just throw enough nukes at it? You even mentioned these things creating fallout barriers, and that alone is GOLD, you can literally cockblock the entire world from even stepping into your country by just nuking the borders. "Nukes are useless" come on now kid, what the hell are you going to do against this shit if you are not nuking the fuck back?

That's a pretty shitty goal, user. Waging a war with little to no spoils.

Nuking would still not be preferable to occupation.

Desperation seems like the only good reason to use a nuke to me. Even then it doesn't really provide much value.

Sure, you can remove their production centers from the playing field, but this would only be justified if they already had a fuckton of weapons produced. Destruction is a shit alternative to occupation, especially if they're capable of occupying one of your production centers.
Basically, if they don't have enough weapons produced, you can occupy and use their production centers to speed up the war effort.
If they have enough already produced, the effectiveness of removing their factories shrinks.

It would reduce the mobility of troops through their own territory, but it would also create a barrier for your advance.

That also means you can't leave your territory. congratulations on cockblocking yourself (not to mention nuking an entire border would take a fuckton of nukes).
Strategic missile strikes on well defined targets of value. Maybe their silos, for example.
The guy dropping nukes around the border basically walled himself in,unable to to do anything but long distance strikes themselves. They can't send ground troops, only destroy shit. It would suck to fight against that guy but he put himself in such a retarded position that it's unfeasible that anyone would make such a move.

NUKE THE CUBE

Is kikewheels back? This place is running like shit tonight.

NUKE THE CUBE

I think OP is undervaluing he concept of nukes in politics and psychology. Many countries like India scrambled to find nukes of some sort not because they wanted to use them, but rather they desired the political leverage that comes with becoming a nuclear power. Its the psychological factor that makes us suddenly view a country as more fearsome simply because they possess such powerful weapons. The mere thought of a nuke is currently enough for most armies to avoid direct confrontation. Reminder atomic weapons and the threat of war scared Russia and the United States so much that they fought proxy wars against each other for years instead of directly fighting.

Nukes have been obsolete for some time now user. There's far more cutting edge humane murder devices now.

They did tests in the 50s and 60s. You can nuke a whole valley and march troops through and they won't even know it wasn't conventional bombs

let it be done

They may blackbag me for this, but nukes are the distraction. If you're a war-hound, meaning you study and are entirely familiar with strategy, you don't let the enemy or even your allies know what your greatest strength is. Nukes, user, are nothing. They're the weapon of the past which is now used as a smokescreen. The real weapon is a nuclear EMT device equipped with a secret bio-chemical payload which is detonated in the atmosphere of the targeted area. Officially known as an EMT/PNS bomb, it's referred to as Spent Me on the radio.

Monday Social Media outrage intensifies
"Trump's favorability rating historically low, poll finds"
archive.is/kkI46

Tuesday (((News comes out)))
Wednesday False Storm
Thursday Calm before the real Storm, as dusk falls positions are taken
Friday CURRENT YEAR

worst honest attempt at a thread I've seen in a long time

ZUN is a snapshot of what it means to earn the title Honorary Aryan.

HOLY SHIT WHAT ARE BOOMERS YOU DUMB FAGGOT

This.

Nukes were never the most powerfull weapon. One example would be the anthrax bombs invented before ww2. Churchill ordered the bombardment of Germany with these things but the generals talked him out of it.

They did a test on an empty island. It was uninhabitable for over a decade.
https:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island

I did not know I could come to hate Churchill any more than I already did.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_independently_targetable_reentry_vehicle
That's a missile system, not a nuke on its own.

Even so, neither the US nor Russia has enough long-range missiles for all its nukes, so some would need to be delivered by short-range systems, long-range bombers, ect.

Supposedly there was a nuclear landmine in Turkey at one point.

The more you know…

I don't think decontaminated means what Neubert thinks it means.

no

So useless, unless for a false flag.

It's mutually assured destruction at its finest. Whoever drops a nuke is the guy who signs over the World's life to the Reaper.

The jews would love to use them, one day.

Not necessarily. Consider this - you're at war with fucking everybody around you and you have nukes. You can nuke your borders and leave one or two gaps to serve as a front for a war effort. In a pinch, you can nuke one or even all of them (in an oh-shit-we'reboned scenario).

That's the whole point of the weapon, they are peace forcers, tactical weapons and not pratical ones. The fear that your enemy will retaliate with thousands of Nukes and make sure it will take decades for your country to rebuild, even if you win. Nukes will also minimize your gains, and maximize your losses, giving less reason to wage war in the first place. Nukes are basically war prevention weapons, well, at least until someone succesfully builds 100% working anti-nuke weapons, then you can wage war against anyone without fearing their nukes.
Once we removed commies and kikes from hte west, most of our military budget should go into anti-nuke defense and the invention of new and more effective weapons.

Often with nukes of their own. Seriously, we don't live in a world where America could nuke 2 Japanese cities and get away with it.

Nukes will be met with Nukes. And no one, save for Hillary from Hell, wants MAD.

Nukes were only relevant when American held a monopoly on the world for 4 years, because they're the only ones who possessed them at the time.

Everyone has nukes or allies with nukes = conventional war is useless = the only form of war that can occur is internal warfare.

Then you RULE THE WORLD!

Fags like you will have to be purged, first thing after nogs and kikes

JAN 20 THE NUKES WILL FALL

i believe the idea behind nukes is that if you know you lost you make sure the other guys dont win either and so you just nuke everything

And therefore the other guy doesn't even try since he knows that he can't win.

The real killer in Civ IV was global warming. Fuck the random desert and fuck the scary noise every time it happened that had 12 year old me on the edge of my seat the entire Modern period of each game.

Nukes would probably be the main tool a futuristic space-fairing human civilization would use against other (maybe alien probably other humans) space fairing civilizations. Nukes that are proximity-launched from a ship, much like a torpedo, would cause a massive EMP as well as a concussive force if detonation occured on impact as to cause massive hull damage to basically any material we can think of. Even if we have super advanced magnetic or plasma shields an emp from a nuke would obliterate all but the most hardened electrical systems and would make anything reliant on magnetic fields (like plasma, static fields, etc) useless.

After all, the Japanese kept fighting for a decade to avenge Nagasaki.
Also war isn't solely about taking land you actual child. Life isn't a video game.

Do you know that armies prepare for nuclear battlefield from 70 years?

Don't know if trolling or retardation.

where does this one come from?

>>>/4chan/

Your whole thing seems to be based on the idea of living on the other side of the world. Think before you post again, OP. Like the 100m PLA soldiers. The generals who talk about 'trading cities' and not giving a fuck if a billion gooks die. Russian faggots who killed tens of millions last century. Nukes keep them at bay. Would a faggot like Obama have used them? Probably not. But if he had pushed Putin a bit more, he might have.

Which game? Civ III.

As often as I need to use it to make it clear to others not to fuck with me.

This is now a Belka thread
Long live Belka

This answer is false, because nuclear weapons don't manage to archive this effect. If you look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the tests of nuclear weapons by the USA, France and the USSR, you would see that all the wood buildings and lighter constructions made from metal sheets get blown away, but buildings made from stone and concrete would remain standing. So if you would drop a bomb on a factory made from concrete and bricks, a nuke would not manage to get rid of it.
Actually the Nazis moved their factories into underground shelters and moved them around the country, only a part of the Nazi production facilities were on the surface and stationary. This is the reason why the Nazis did manage to hold on so long despite losing the Air War with Britain in 1941, the Allied bombing runs didn't manage to effectively harm their production and in retro perspective were ineffective. There is nothing that would prevent any other nation to do the same in the chase of a nuclear war.
The Japanese moved all around Hiroshima and Nagasaki and started cleaning up operations the day after the bombs fell and all that without protection.

You're an idiot. An airburst with current technology can destroy every piece of electronics on a continental span.

no, which save of civ3

If nukes are useless, why'd you kikes steal them from us then kill JFK for catching you dirty fucking jews? What are you sliding, shlomo?

Teenager detected.

Men very much more educated and intelligent than you have studied the strategies and tactics of nuclear weapon deployment.

Don't bother your head about it.

What about fusion powered fighters, tanks, and battle ships? Like with cannons that discharge plasma from the reactors and such

Soon we'll have seal team 6 with drones strapped to their backs and they get to play superman

boom

/k/ thread at best

Everyone grossly overestimates nukes. The most important thing about them: they scare people.

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on January 12 that Russia could use its high-precision weapons to partially replace nuclear arms as a deterrent. According to him, «By 2021, the combat capabilities of Russian strategic non-nuclear forces will more than quadruple, which will give the opportunity to solve the issue of non-nuclear deterrence». Sea-based cruise missile will account for the bulk of precision-guided conventional deterrence force.

The defense chief emphasized that Moscow has no intention of being dragged into an arms race. It will develop its «general-purpose» forces to operate in peacetime and in armed conflicts, including the fight against (((terrorists))).

archive.is/jql48

nukes piss me off. If only Hitler won before the Jews invented them. Now the Jews will just nuke the world when they realize they're gonna lose

There's a thread on 8/k/ and 4/k/ with the exact same OP

This is just shilling

Nuclear war post ww2 would be wiping every city off the map simply because you want them gone. Also, hiroshima is doing fine.