Why heating devices are a thing?

All forms of energy are converted to heat in the end anyway. Therefore simply burning fuel is a complete waste, right?
If you want to heat up your home, isn't it more efficient to do that with some computer? It converts nearly 100% of energy into heat, so a "specialized" heating device cannot be more efficient than that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6SqYMU81l8Y?t=6m51s
pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_Pump
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

brainlet_wojak.jpeg

Space heater won't work, no way to put the silicon under load when it's cold without wasting cycles and slowing the computer to a crawl and over clocking to intentionally generate that much heat would burn out pretty quick. You'd need some new kind of processor specifically designed to be big and run extremely hot.
Having said that, the Apple G5 is often used as a space heater.
youtu.be/6SqYMU81l8Y?t=6m51s

I've heard there's some city in Finland that uses datacenter cooling system to heat up tap water and for central heating.

My university is heated partially by a nearby data center.

if you're not shitposting, it's not more efficient because it's bad at making heat in comparison to a coil that is specialized in heating. That said you're doing a useful task with a heat byproduct

Congratulations OP you fucking retard, you just re-invented the resistive heater, something already being mass produced and used in millions of homes! The same principles that result in heat being produced from semiconductors.
Of course there are more efficient ways of doing this as well, one electric heater type uses what is known as a thermistor element. Or an element whose electrical resistance changes with temperature, meaning it's self-regulating

how so, if it converts almost 100% of energy into heat?

What's the power of your CPU? 100 watt? Typical heater is 1000+ watt. My overclocked rig gives off absolute fuckall of heat whereas my central heat radiators make the room uncomfortably hot while running on minimum throttle, just a notch above "shut tight".

At what rate?

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/
Two-slot Talos II workstation would do the job.
You just need bigass heatsinks and quiet fans to dissipate the heat.

it depends on the number of computers, but it ought to be energy efficient anyway, right?

Why do I get the impression that you just learned about thermodynamics in physics 101 and now feel the need to keep stating the obvious? The property you're looking for is a device with high power dissipation, as has already told you.

Resistive heaters are virtually 100% efficient (ignoring generation and transmission losses), but heat pumps beat that by absorbing heat from outside your house.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_Pump

For your idea to be effective, it would only make sense to make use of computers that are already going to be wasting energy, not installing new ones for the purpose of heating, unless of course the ROI from selling CPU cycles is >300-400%.

If powered by fossil fuels, it will only be environmentally effective until it reaches a point in obsolescence that it would be less polluting to replace your hardware with something more energy efficient. If it's using renewable energy it's not really an issue unless the energy could be better used to help others get off fossil fuels., or if the land could be put to better use.

tbh I was hoping thread ended with your post... Guess we can't always have happy endings

It has to be 100%... no? Where else would it go to?
Also there is/was a company that had a deal where you'd keep one of their computer/heaters at home with network access, they'd pay you something I think but you'd pay for the electricity. The disadvantage compared to a data center is the computers aren't close together, meaning data transfers will be hell.

GIF is always less efficient than any reasonable video codec (and of course that includes VP9 and H.264) when used for something resembling photorealistic footage. Do some fucking research dude.

way to go, man. a lot better now.

some amount of light and other electromagnetic radiation would escape your room (and later some small part of it will escape to space, never to return)