Is Ubuntu a Menace?

I only have a little bit of first hand experience with this distro, but it seems like no matter how far away I get, he still ends up following me around everywhere.

For example, right now I'm just trying to look the best way to do a simple Ethernet crossover for two of my minimal Linux boxes. Yet, I no matter what I look up askubuntu and ubuntuforums are always staring me in the face. Not staring, rather flashing big neon lights "your CLI sucks, come over here and touch our sleek, new GUI." It wouldn't be so bad if they gave more CLI advice, like most UNIX forums. Instead, it's mostly irrelevant to anyone outside the Ubuntu sphere, unless they decide to attempt a cross-binary install. Seriously, it's such a waste of time to have all of these ubuntu resources show up when anything "Linux" is searched. Ubuntu might as well be called Ubuntu/Linux, considering how its operation is so backwards in comparison to anything else. Or maybe GNU/Ubuntu? Anyway, you can block the most common ones by using a filter, but it's annoying and somehow the results become even less relevant.

Anyone else have any grievances with this thing?

tl;dr

why not use xubuntu instead?

Larger user base, not sure what your point is other than "I don't like it". It is what it is.

What you're looking for are man pages

Yes, if only most distros followed OpenBSD's route and had manpages worth a damn.

GUIs are not inherently bad. I tend to use command line interfaces, but they're often tedious and not practical for everyone.
99% of advice for other distros is easily adapted to Ubuntu.
It's fine.

That's literally all it takes. man ifconfig and man hostname.if tells you everything. It's really basic stuff and if you need a GUI for this, there's a fundamental problem.

Ubuntu forums can be pretty helpful. I don't even use *Ubuntu and I find them useful

$ man lfconfigNo manual entry for lfconfig

Maybe because it's ifconfig, not lfconfig you colossal retard?

Even Windows does not have this problem.

This isn't about upper/lowercase, this is about i (eye, lowercase I) being right and l (el, lowercase L) being wrong.
Maybe learn to read Latin letters before you embarrass yourself even more, Pajeet.

$ man ifcocnfigNo manual entry for ifcocnfig
Still doesn't work.

Stop with the shit bait faggot. If you were actually this retarded there is no way you would possibly be able to type "8ch.net" into the url bar.

ifconfig is deprecated you nigger

Learn to spell nigger

Deprecated on what? Certainly not openbsd. And in fact I still use it on linux because ip whatever the fuck is absolute garbage.

Nvm, found it
202400553827 halites sent in 2.25e+03 g/mols (85.8 mols/h)
PM'ed y'all the solution.
You need to netmask your NACs so you force them to use the gigbit cable instead of wifi. It's supposed to be asimple as 'ip ad add 10.0.0.1/24 dev eth0' for the first, and then increment by one for the next, but Poobuntu is shitting up my search streets. Also get baited, thank you.

I end up on Arch WIKIs more often than I do Ubuntu. I don't use either distro, but if the topic isn't package management related, the solution usually works. Just be thankful there is a large group of Linux users who are newbie friendly.

Atleast Arch Apoos have a wiki that's not just following steps.

If you ignore everything but the code sections, which I usually do, it is just following steps.

At it's base, I agree. Yet, they offer more info if you don't want to do it the way it was prescribed (Rx) and only the way it was prescribed (Rx). Even if that info is only a little bit better than just following steps (and reading the OpenBSD man pages would be a better use of time). Now, if only they could make it less disorienting, and comply with ""The Way (TM)"" and take their meds (Rx).

I'll have you know the only reason I started this thread was to bitch about my lack of patience for combing through Poobuntu forums in search of how to hook up my crosslink.

I installed xubuntu on a whim and in a few days my x desktop is broken and ubuntu has a bunch of system errors that try to phone home. i'm just gonna reformat and install Slack or might try void.

it's ubuntu gnu+linux

xubuntu is just ubuntu with xfce.

The fuckin' tools are almost all the same across distros, you can do that shit with ip or ifconfig, and there are tools to help you if you need a point and click way to cope.

Did you read the man pages for your tools? No? Did you go to superuser.com or some normie site and look it up? NO?

This is a shit thread though.