Ageist and body-shaming Trump statue falls short as art and satire

theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/aug/19/naked-donald-trump-statue-satire-ageist-body-shaming

Other urls found in this thread:

discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/81552548
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're right actually. If a similar statue was made about Clinton the reaction would be completely different.

Are you really going to dismiss this as liberalism when retarded "art" and potshots at masculinity like that are pretty much the only line of attack liberals have? Fuck off

Yeah, dipshit liberals would be mad. So? Hillary is an evil cunt.

agreed

Is Trump even out of shape?

he looks like he is a bit tubby but not especially fat more typical older man than anything

His "professional" clothes mask it pretty well, but if you've seen him out golfing it's more apparent.

really makes you thinkā€¦

pls kill yourself

Forget body shaming, a made up non issue. But, since when does just insulting someone constitute satire? If George Orwell just wrote books saying that Stalin was a big mean poop poo head who had no testicles I wouldn't really consider that satire. 1984 and animal farm are satire, because they actually critiqued society.

He's an man close to 70, he's going to have fat on him. Not particularly out of shape for a man of that age in the same way a 240lbs 5'10" 24-year old would be.

But no on wants to see an old guy naked.

It's just personifying the bourgeois. Suggesting that Trumps narcissism is at the root of the rising tide of fascism in the country (spoiler: it's neoliberalism)

When they put the names of black victims of police brutality on the walk of fame now that was base.

I think you guys are missing the larger point here - the kind of person who makes a "satirical" (this guy is right) statue like this that superficially insults a man's naked body would probably be one of the first to call for naked statues of Hillary to be banned. These people are mega spooked on gender roles, i.e. the male body is gross and offensive while the female body is borderline sacred ground.

They are right. Except that it doesn't matter.
There is a nuance between
and

Lefties can get away, in some contexts, with what would be excellent in others, as it should be. Shaming your opponents is a legitimate propaganda tactic, and defending Trump against body shaming is like defending a fascist from a partisan execution squad.

*what would be excellent in others
LOL how did I make that mistake

LOOOL
*problematic not excellent

The statue looks like John Farnham tbh

That guy is handsome by comparison to Trump.

Interesting comment from minellie:

discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/81552548

(Sorry, but archive.today didn't manage to archive that comment)

u wot?