Looks like they dropped on Valentine’s Day...

devuan.org

Looks like they dropped on Valentine’s Day. I’ve been running ascii for a while now but I upgraded from Jessie using apt.

If you like the Debian way of doing things but hate Poettering, this is a great distro.

Other urls found in this thread:

devuan.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>devuan.org

what?

Can I run systemd on it?
I'm asking because they make a lot of noise about "init freedom", and I voluntarily want to run systemd. I've used other init systems and I'm interested in a distro with good support for them, but it would be silly to use a distro that doesn't support my first choice.
So: does it support systemd?

well, arch defaults to systemd, but with a little effort anyway you can get it to use openrc...

If you're going down that road, just use Debian. It has proper support for OpenRC, believe it or not. It even has multiple ports that don't support systemd at all because they use different kernels.

By init freedom I assume they mean between non-system===D inits since they are not as engrained in the system. I'm sure you could run it but it would be a lot effort going completely against the purpose of the distro. It's being crontrarian for the sake of being crontrarian.

sageing because we don't need another shitty distro thread

their repos contain packages that'll install certain components of systemd and will brick your system, MX Linux is better maintained

not even once

God that logo sucks. It looks more like "xvuan" than "devuan".

Yes, you can install systemd in Devuan. The point of Devuan is that they recompile and reconfigure any package that requires systemd, to not require systemd.

That's only in Devuan Unstable and Testing. Devuan Stable doesn't do that.

Either way you can configure apt to not install systemd or any of it's components, so it's not a problem.

Do they package systemd?

Devuan is compatible and uses Debian repositories for everything except packages that require systemd. The Devuan team only repackages and reconfigures packages that require depend on systemd or conflict with other packages.
So yes, as a rule of thumb, if it's packaged for Debian, it's packages for Devuan.

make a better one
maybe with some manga girl

It'll work fine if you compile your own packages or get a new repo

Ah, the different release names made me think it was more of a fork. That sounds reasonable.

Archfaggot?

Does it do XFCE?

share that knowledge

yeah the distro I'm on Good Life Linux has an XFCE version, I need to switch or figure out how to set up version 3 or 3.3 of open gl though

Devuan Star seems to have a much more recent XFCE too

Of course, you just have to install debian

I don't like neither Debian's way of doing things and neither Poettering. What's left for me?

devuan with jack or whatever instead of pulse?

i said systemd was problematic because the distro uses sysv, dumbass

They are the choice if you *don't* want to run systemd. That's the point of talking about freedom; there is now a choice.

Jesus, you systemd supporters are fucking retards.

He's not a systemd supporter you redditposting retard he's a shitposter, and you fell for his bait.

Why some popular DEs don't support non-systemd inits? All of the available choices outside of the scope of systemd is dogshit, at least in my opinion.

I can't possibly imagine what you are talking about. They all work on gentoo without systemd just fine. Gnome requires you to use an overlay if I'm not mistaken. Also gnome works on openbsd so it definitely works without systemd. If you meant to ask why are there no non-shit DEs period then I don't know.

Well, I mistakenly assumed that lots of DEs (GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon etc.) doesn't work with non-systemd distros when I couldn't find an option to install them while I was checking out Devuan installer in a VM. Might as well install gentoo then.

Devuan has every DE except GNOME.

Does it package CDE?

Drop, v.: to give up on an effort; to abandon something; to defecate.

It has everything Debian has, so yes CDE is in there. As is Windowmaker.

Void is pretty decent aside from the gimmicky package manager

What don't you like about XBPS?

But I hate Debian and don't dislike systemd.

Which of the two would you choose if you had to pick one?

Single boot Xen

Would pick the first one and drop everything but Debian.

The packages still contain systemD crap. Devuan gets rid of that shit.

There's still Poetteringware in Devuan, it comes with Pulse for example. It's easy to replace though.

Change Slackware to Void Linux

You can't just change the init in Debian without running into issues.

Can confirm, I have a computer with Debian and with systemd removed, it was a bit of a process and some stuff still doesn't work 100% like sleep on lid close. Mostly because I'm lazy though, there are ways to fix it all up but it's an entirely manual process. If you want to stop systemd from being pulled in as a dependency, you have to pin it manually for instance.

On the other hand you can convert a working systemd-infected Debian into a non-Poetteringware OS if you want, and it could be easier than a reinstall. For a desktop it'd be easy and I even did it on the RPi3.

I can't if I don't know where to look.
Also Bastille doesn't seem to use HTTPS so I don't think I would trust their "security."

There is nothing wrong with arch, it is genuinely the best rolling release distro available, and while the AUR isn't the most reliable thing it's still very comfy not having to look for the compile-time dependencies one by one every time you want to build a package that isn't in the main repos.

debian: good
arch: unstable shit
freehugsbsd:
openbsd: good for servers
devuan: terribly maintained distro
slackware: clusterfuck without a frontend for its package manager, otherwise decent

You should install Gentoo or Crux.

I would disagree. I have just recently finished my 1 year evaluation period of using LFS as my main distro.
I've recently switched to Gentoo and it feels like an automated version of LFS. This is not a bad thing because you have more people working together on it which makes things like security updates easier to track. While using LFS, most of my software was never upgraded and I found it hard to learn of security updates in a prompt manner.

There are so many ways I could interpret, I don't even know where to start.

I'd expect people to learn what a distro is and then become terribly disillusioned with the entire idea. What you do after that is up to you LFS can only show you the door.

Yeah that's exactly right.

kek