Great software thread

Post great software here and explain why you like said software

I like Xfce because it works best with the Whisker menu, which I've used since version 1.1 was released and is lightweight

Rules:

Other urls found in this thread:

tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature
github.com/mgudemann/sct
github.com/d4l3k/go-sct
github.com/projectM-visualizer/projectM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

mednafen is a great emulator. Only way for me to play asian cartoon Wonderswan games on Debian

sct is a great replacement for redshift.

fish - nice colors, auto completion. It also solves that one issue with bash where if you escape a newline you can navigate back to that line unless you use that command and then C-p.
netcat - Great utility that is situational, but very handy
portage - Easy to make packages. Easy to use patches. Easy to uninstall packages.

I was going to go to debian and was wondering if the frontend is functional on there?
I loves me some retro games.
Also, while I got you, can you point me to a decent tutorial on how to manage debian repos so as to have multimedia and not have a broken distro? Please and thank you.

As for this thread: I like geany a shitload because it's good just do it

Abduco. Like GNU screen but not shit

a.m.o.r. [amusing misuse of resources]
yeah, so, its bloat by definition, kill me, i still love it...
its basically the only form of entertainment i can enjoy while still having a chance of not getting so distracted that i cant get any work done.

into the trash

is there lewds of the mouse?

It lacks proper multi-monitor support. It also lacks some basic desktop functions like searching for files in the file manager (fixed in Zorin's implementation of Xfce).
The development is simply too slow, which is a shame since it's the only good gtk DE.

Good criticisms. The menu whisker and old is horribly slow on first use too.
But I can't get away from it. I might change back to Trinity because there's no good muted GTK theme for the new versions and I can't figure out how to write a theme.

json.sh - it's stupid but it's the best parser for scripting
xml2 - same thing
xmllint - same thing again
imagemagick - it has issues, but agian, good for scripting
ffmpeg - same shit again

lynx - always have it installed in case I nuke X
picard - Music tagging based on musicbrainz. ezpz tagging and organizing
makemkv - this might be the only software I ever buy because it's easy to remux video discs
mkvmerge, mediainfo - self explanitory
xfburn - non-retarded interface for burning discs

Fair points. Luckily I'm a single monitor pleb

Musescore is an excellent FOSS music notation software. Since my background is in classical music, I've made quite good use of it. Just about everyone I know has as well, freedom loving or not. It's just a great piece of software.

Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator

yeah, this is kinda incredible You shouldn't need to create a custom action with catfish just to be able to search in the file manager.

Portage

I agree with you on the slow development though, it'd have a lot more potential if it just had more love

Xfce treats them as a single monitor. This causes many issues and it should be possible to disable such behavior. The best way to describe this is this:
If one of the screens is touch screen, then it's rendered unusable. Because clicking anywhere on it will register as a relative click. As in, clicking in the top right corner of it will actually work as pic related (depending on how you placed them in display manager).
Setting the default monitor and managing the panel across monitors is almost impossible.
And sometimes the second monitor won't configure itself to the proper resolution automatically when you plug it in.

It does work, but it's outdated and should have more features.

Wrong. If you check "Configure new displays when connected" in Display Settings, Xfce will ask you what config you want when you plug in the monitor. Pic related. Learn to google dumbass

Yes, mednaffe works perfectly on Debian 9, it's in the repos

Be more specific retard. What exactly was "wrong"? You mean the "main display" part? Sure it works, but there aren't any advanced options for you to make. What you're showing, and what's under the advanced button, hasn't evolved in a decade.
I'm using Xfce. I know it has terrible multi-monitor support (for anything beyond the basic extending of your screen to display your media/texts on the second one). You really can't argue with it.

M$HILL BTFO

poopboi
o
o
p
b
o
i

What else do you want to do with your second monitor?

just remembered how awesome w3m is

For winfags with a large music collection, try mp3tag. It's the final solution for id3 tag management.

the dev (some german autist) even made self contained wine images for lunix and OSX though there are some limitations.

tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature

I've tried every tagging software on Linux but I keep coming back to this. I wish he'd fucking open source it, sucks having to use wine.

guitar pro for me (guitarist)

I ve been using it for using it for years

my programs on my main pc ( i know its windows, I have another laptop with linux)

Two big problems I see are
C'mon man that's basic
and
kill yourself my man

>

doesn't really matter since you're already using a shit operating system

VLC is not good software.

autistic fuck where the hell do you think you are?

Icecat. It sucks but just because all browsers suck. GNU put a lot of work into this to make it better.
BSPWM. The creme of the crop when it comes to tiling WMs.
KSH. Like BASH but smaller.
SBCL. THE SINGLE BEST CL VM.
Gentoo.
OpenBSD.
Emacs

such as?

i use it with unity mein nigger

Why not use stumpwm if you ascended high enough to know CL?

I've toyed with it in the past and I've got a few weird issues with it.
It's a bit difficult to use the meta key with it and it's more optimized for Emacs style key combo combos.
This would be fine but I'm used to I3 and BSPWM/SXKHD style hot keys by now.
Apart from that though it's a pretty good WM.

Are you using OpenBSD's on gentoo as well? Thats what I do because it is just so good. I love how easy it is to define completions as well take this for example
set -A complete_sysctl -- $(sysctl | sed 's:=.*$::')

I'm very familiar with the CLI but it's horribly enifficient to use. Would you rather spend hours typing in commands or easily just click something and have it over with?

btw this is my windows bg

CL as in Common Lisp you brainlet. Your reply makes no sense in context considering that the WM being responded to also doesn't have icons.

Single monitor master race.

github.com/mgudemann/sct

FVWM is like a more lightweight OpenBox, or at least CloverOS's implimentation is

Whisker menu and every other menu that embeds a search tool within the menu is an awful idea and always has been. Xfce works best with the normal legacy XDG menu and running the xfce4-appfinder when you want to search for an application to run.

So it has pipe menus? Or are people once again completely unaware of Openbox's best and most distinctive feature?

Thought he meant github.com/d4l3k/go-sct
Neither have a GUI that lets you quickly turn it on or off with the taskbar icon.

I like HandBreak. Its an open source video conversion software that works on windows or OSX. You can either convert a video from one format to another or compress your video file. The compression part is impressive and I use it to make mp4s and webms for this place.

Only decent software on the list.

Ah, well sct is designed to be as simple as possible, you would only need to type "sct 3500" for your filter (replace 3500 with a temp you find comfortable)and just "sct" to turn it back to default. I'm not sure if it can let you adjust it through the taskbar but I think f.lux has a gui.

It's "simple" in that suckless sense, that is simple for the implementer. Redshift has the taskbar GUI. It can also change the color depending on the time of day, but that would probably be considered bloat.

I've never used the features from other filters such as adjusting throughout the day. Every time I use a filter I permanently set it to 3500 temp and never alter it. I wouldn't consider using redshift with those features as bloat since you are using them, but they would be bloat for me because I only use one feature.

VLC is literally backdoored by the CIA though.

oh noes

I'm using it right now, and it definitively have issues (some videos that freeze when I change focus, maybe it's a configuration problem so I don't know)
But the best part is that you can use your own CL script, without the need of waiting for the whole image to be loaded (using tools like cl-lauch reduce the time of loading, but not make it instantaneous). You basically have a CL repl available. Stumpwm can easily communicate with the system and shell with stumpish.

It have a huge potential, it's just too bad that not enough people use it, and so develop around it a tone of modules and gives it everything that modern wm have.

For the keybindings, I changed nearly everything, to use a combination of super and regular keys. The standard keybinding to go to the next window for exemple is "C-t n", I changed it to "S-n". It's far easier that way.

If Loonix is king of freeware, then why doesn't it have programs as polished as the above, but only halfassed ones?

With being another example. Why does everyone intending to make good and polished GUI programs always seems to target Windows and not Loonix?

Please elaborate.

Clementine is better
Mpv, mpc-qt and VLC are better

How is mpc better than mpv when it's dead? How can anyone consider foobar good when it's potential malware?

This entire line of text is an opinion:

1% desktop usage.

Why don't they just open-source it?

Because then everyone would see it contains malware.

Please elaborate.

What are the indications of that supposed malware?

It's good.
It's not great, MPV is better, but VLC is good.

So can sct, just use a cron job. Or are you a nigger who needs a gui?

I'm not saying it's a botnet, but it's botnet

projectM music visualizer.
github.com/projectM-visualizer/projectM
projectM just works and is compatible with Milkdrop presets.

It has no GUI for that, you set that in its configuration text file. That functionality should be build in and not follow the shitty UNIX philosophy of having to reimplement everything yourself.

huh

Developed by Peter Pawlowski
Sounds Russian, or some eastern european shit hole pretending to not be Russia whenever Putin isn't looking

wow a cron job can calculate sunset/sunrise times? Truly the command line of the Gods.

What is wireshark dumbo.

learn2read

You should have specified that you wanted a botnet. Though if you aren't a brainlet you can easily implement something using the TZ env variable

He is talking about the time the NSA created a proprietary fork of VLC (which is against the GPL btw) that included a backdoor for NSA-kun to use.
You can find information about this on wikileaks probably the first leak of Vault 7.

How would you find out user?

Run strings on the program and check if part of the executable contains sections with high entropy which would suggest packed malware.

The malware is delivered in videos according to Wikileaks, it's not resident in the copy of VLC itself.

Link? I can only see information about the malware being distributed in the software itself.

Xfxe has shitty built in display options. Install arandr

*xfce

Why not just read the man page for randr? It's extremely intuitive.

USE AWESOME.
Also install Siege.

This explains exactly how retarded minimalists usually are.