Is this kino?

Is this kino?
Why the fuck isn't the sequel called Atlantic rim for the cool points?

I'm just gonna go out and say it - del Toro is one of the most overrated directors currently working (same with Tarantino).

*gasp*

Hey remember that scene where we saw all the mechs at once?
No?
Me neither.

kill yourself you cancerous faggot

I tried watching this movie with friends at home, and we got about half way in and were bored. The spectacle of giant CGI robots punching giant CGI monsters isn't special anymore. The story was cliche as shit and the characters uninteresting. The only thing it had going for it was the action and even that sucked.

raining again, brilliant

Maybe if you play video games and watch capeshit
It is 2/10 garbage

Characters too generic. Don't care. Characters are so important in me caring about the film. "saving the world" isn't good enough anymore.

Because Atlantic Rim already exists.

Downvoted, reported, blocked

Fuckin A dude.

No its not kino. Its not even great by monster movie standards and this is coming from a guy that grew up watching Godzilla, Gamera and Kikaida. It has the same problem as Avatar where the world they set up is interesting but the story is so cliche and lame. They could've been more creative and fun if they truly wanted to pay homage to kaiju films.

Avatar is watchable at least, because the characters are just bland and there's a decent villain

Pacific Rim has some of the most annoying fucking human side characters in any pg-13 movie I've seen and the villains are generic evil aliens who only appear at the very end

I kept cringing whenever Charlie Day came up in that film.

Suppose they were giant CGI robots punching guys in rubber monster suits, wouldn't that be pretty novel?

Considering most of them had a generic humanoid bodytype why would that not have worked?

He's made one kino and a bunch of watchable movies. His next one looks like it'll be in the latter category as well.

Atlantic Rim and Atlantic Rim 2 were knock-offs made by The Asylum, thus they couldn't use the name.

The film was alright, but I have no desire to watch it again or a sequel.

The whole movie is a lefty fairy tale against "muh fascists". Too much focus on the real life politics and not enough on fantasy or anything else. I bet the pale fapman scared you.

The movie wasn't about the idea of fascism, it was about how shit the specific fascist regime of Spain was at the time. Whether you think fascism is good or not surely you must admit that the Francoist version of fascism was implemented horribly and was completely unsuccessful outside of its military. And if you think the point of the movie should have been the fantasy stuff then clearly you didn't understand the purpose of the ending.

i thought trumpsters were supposed to be against this sort of emotional reasoning?

Fraco wasn't even fascist, duckers.

Okay.

Just because you say that you embody fascist values doesn't mean you actually do. See: modern China still claiming that it's communist.

he made only one good movie that one

It was a mech movie that didn't hit the beats of what makes a good mech movie.
Robot Jox is better.

ironic drumpfposting is still drumpfposting

Pacific Rim had so much promise/potential, and squandered almost all of it.

They designed so many cool as fuck mechs, and yet they basicaly all got curb-stomped except the protagonists' single one.

Plus they're supposedly controlling the mechs with their minds synchronised with it. That's top Evangelion mindfuck potential there and yet they didn't do any of it. Heck the pilots didn't even experience pain when the mechs are hit!

It's such a disappointment for anybody remotely versed in the mech tradition.

Yep, this movie had the feel of "finally a big budget hollywood mecha movie like my japanese animes" and it turned out to be just another hollywood script that feels like it lost a bunch of pages and had good fight scenes (taking transformers as the standard).
It was their best chance to do something cool and they fumbled it, so I guess we're not getting any actual good mecha movies in the near future.

It made me finally realize Del Toro is a hack who got lucky a few times