Bear with me as I have a cursory understanding of soviet history but can someone explain why stalin edited photographs...

bear with me as I have a cursory understanding of soviet history but can someone explain why stalin edited photographs and is there an apologist argument that makes this not a big deal?

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/marx/res/2479.html#3351
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Rasputin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_II_of_Russia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin's_cult_of_personality
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_Soviet_Union
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin's_cult_of_personality#Stalin.27s_opinion_of_his_cult
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonization_of_the_Romanovs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Fascist_Party
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

trotsky was a revisionist

Look up damnatio memoriae.

Lack of education in Soviet society prior to Stalinism led to most of the population being relatively uneducated. Tsar Nicholas the Second had a cult of personality and his adviser Rasputin was a religious nut. Most of the population worshipped images. For a modern example, think about how if you enter into a Mexican restaurant and you see paintings of Christ and the Virgin Mary everywhere: it's basically the Russian version of that. The CPSU edited the images so that CPSU members who had had been tried and found guilty of crimes against the Soviet state wouldn't be worshipped by the peasants. They even changed the young Pioneers song to praise Stalin. Overall the personality cult was a response to a shitty situation and Stalin didn't like it himself. Pre-Soviet Tsarist empire also had a lot of censorship, leading to an ignorant population.

Sources
8ch.net/marx/res/2479.html#3351
ctrl+ f these phrases
"Images play an educational and propaganda role in society." "Stalin did not create the cult around him"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Rasputin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_II_of_Russia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin's_cult_of_personality

Forgot some statistics on literacy rates. Most of the population was illiterate so songs and images were important.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_Soviet_Union

Let me retract the claim that most were "illiterate" during Stalinist era, I meant to put "uneducated".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin's_cult_of_personality#Stalin.27s_opinion_of_his_cult
Another source.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonization_of_the_Romanovs

ok

There really were people in the USSR who wanted to aid the Nazis.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Fascist_Party

Goddamn russians were stupid.

Take make himself look thinner

ok

You guys really seem to get ass mad every time the USSR isn't portrayed as a literal hell on earth ruled by the devil.

I'm not mad at all, fam. But, like always, tankies get flustered when anyone dares imply that people actually died in the USSR.

It's the concentrated Spectacle. What is good appears and what appears is good.

Yeah, people died in the USSR. Tankies don't deny that. That's because it was an actual society that had to deal with actual problems and not a fairy tale book.

free bump

Also make him look taller. most photography and all statues depict him as being tall, maybe even imposing. Stalin though was 5'4", and Yezhov was 5'0". If you ever see a picture of Stalin in a group of other people, you'll be shocked.. Lenin was actually an inch taller than Stalin, but nearly all photographs and depictions show Lenin as shorter.

How did they not get instantly Gulag'd?

expediency?

I never imagined Stalin to be a manlet.