OpenIndiana/SmartOS/Nexenta/OpenSXCE(kill)/OmniOS

Have you played with any of those? I don't see a reason to use them (aside from ZFS), but I'm bored and I want to try something novel. Tell me your experiences.

Other urls found in this thread:

podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp4/201406.jb-dl.cdn.scaleengine.net/bsdnow/2017/bsd-0181.mp4
podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp4/201406.jb-dl.cdn.scaleengine.net/bsdnow/2017/bsd-0181-432p.mp4
podtrac.com/pts/redirect.ogg/traffic.libsyn.com/jnite/bsd-0181.ogg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to play with them too since I think anything based on SysVR4 might just be more stable than BSD or Finnish trash.

What do you think of Cantrill? Have you seen the Cantrillogy? It's worth checking out.

Definitely something I'm interested in, especially as I'd like to replace FreeBSD on my home server with something else.

Tried installing on my AM-1 home server. Always ran into weird, esoteric install issues

AjitOS

God tier Holla Forums content
Here are some links, you don't even need jewgle/hooknosedtube:
HD: podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp4/201406.jb-dl.cdn.scaleengine.net/bsdnow/2017/bsd-0181.mp4
SD: podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp4/201406.jb-dl.cdn.scaleengine.net/bsdnow/2017/bsd-0181-432p.mp4
I don't recommend this as the video makes it even better
Ogg: podtrac.com/pts/redirect.ogg/traffic.libsyn.com/jnite/bsd-0181.ogg

I've tried OpenIndiana on and off.
Pros
Cons
Neutral
CDDL's a retarded license; since Oracle decided to kill OpenSolaris, it would have been nice if they had just relicensed the code they had already released under something simpler

Overall, I was able to do on OI most of what I do on Linux: web browsing, music, version control, amateurish programming, basic image editing, transfer pics from my camera, that sort of thing. In the end, though I just saw no compelling reason to use it over Linux. And the lack of full disk encryption was a real bummer.

what

Probably a joke about how 'OpenIndiana' has 'India' in the name.

hahahahah

le funny and epic may-may! XD

Haiku is honestly pretty fucking cool, but it doesn't have the benefit of the thorough porting you see in a BSD or an OpenIndiana.
Cards on the table here, how tech literate are you REALLY? Because if you are, there's so much interesting shit in a BSD in terms of the terminal shell, in comparison to a Linux distro, that it's pretty breathtaking. BSD just plain makes more fucking sense underneath.
Now, there are wildly different kinds of linux still, you know, there's a shit load of structural difference between how Slackware is versus how Arch is versus how Fedora is versus OpenSuse and so on. Even though they all use the same bunch of software, often the package management and the directory structure and naming conventions can be miles apart.
If you don't do much in the shell, and don't give a shit what is in the system folders, then you won't see a LOT of difference, unless you do something really wild like Haiku, 9front, or some joke shit like TempleOS.

Hell man, 9front is pretty fun to fuck with once you get a proper manual for how you're supposed to get a workflow going. It's a fork of Plan9 and Plan9 is super fucking cool, really. It's based on this study they did in the 90s iirc where they discovered that using the mouse was much more efficient overall than using keys. So they built it all around using the mouse, once you figure out the mouse function combos that do what you need, it becomes really addictive. The only problem is it's not used by fucking anyone anywhere, and it's graphically pretty damn gray and boring, like how Google Products are, which is probably due to Rob Pike.

Anyway, Haiku is weird and pretty, but 9front is more functional. If you're just getting bored of playing around in linux, use BSD and jails and shit for like three to four months in a BSD, and you'll see why their userbase is so devoted.

Honestly, I just came from a period like yours, a kind of post-distrohopping, then stability-chasing, into a kind of OS-hopping phase. Right now I'm about a year into a Stability search. Doing research to see what I need to do to switch from my longtime arch install to Debian, but debian is so fucking autistic in it's documentation that it can be a little hard to circumvent possible caveats.
But, that's what virtualbox is for-- do it over and over until you can do what you intend to on real hardware.

If this isn't pasta, you just wasted several minutes of your life and part of a phat dose of Adderall.

you have to go back

fuck yeah Cantrill

Go is trash

I'm sure you have bookmarked his reddit ama too. :^)

Well, a butter knife can be a better weapon than a spoon, so it's legit.

but muh based bolshevik licesese hurrrrr cuckcuckcuck
t. gplfags

we already have three threads infected with license bait, fuck outta here

BSD is like going to Russia and the only difference is they say brat instead of bro.
Switching distros is like moving house because you want a different color room.
I thought 9front would be interesting but a few minutes in and I'm typing cd, ls into the terminal. The world of OSes is tiny.

have you tried running a mailserver or chatroom from DOS then?