Explain Captain Marvel to me

I'm serious about this title. Explain to me why Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers, is liked/disliked.

I've got no dog in the fight, I just want to know. Consider this a chance to rant. All I ask you go a little further than >muh SJWs

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/Jh3Yn
carolastrickland.com/comics/msmarvel/index.html
cbr.com/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/
illuminatingcomics.tumblr.com/post/161861503515/so-what-made-you-choose-carol-as-the-i-guess
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you don't understand why those are bad you need to survive a few winters more

I didn't say they weren't, it's just everyone's go-to example to not say anything of value imo

I think that what he's trying to ask is that if is bad beyond being a forced leftist subversion, plotholes, one-dimensional characters, all the stuff.

In my experience, she went from a sexy side character in a lot of ensemble cast stuff, mostly Bendis crossovers and New Avengers, to a very forced A-lister with an incredibly shit new look.

Side character eye candy, who was popular as part of an ensemble group, now given her own run, and you realize she's basically boring as shit. I wish I would have saved a post an user made a while ago about why Billy Batson was simply a better character than Carol Danvers, without ever once bringing up their justice league runs. But she's simply a forced, boring a-lister that really can't hold her own. I mean, honestly. Who really gives a shit about Carol Danvers.

*respective justice league and Avengers run

Here's the basic history of Carol D 'with powers' in Marvel comics.

As for the title change, that's mostly to retain the 'Captain Marvel' name since DC never properly trademarked it. The only reason for the 'push' in the last few years is to make sure they 'hold' that name for the film. Plus, it's not as though Marvel has many 'marketable' female characters to fall back on that aren't entangled in either Fox or Sony film rights.

Why the character was liked to begin with?
Well, I feel like she was only as good as a pin up model. She is in the same level as Starfire as hot female character that is nice as part of an ensemble but can't hold her own title by herself. Its pretty hard to say what makes her likable specially the most recent version of the character, I think its nothing to do with the character itself, but more about the idea of Marvel having a popular female superhero that fans want it so badly. Same reason why anons say Wonder Woman is not popular, but is iconic and rallied on by people who love the idea of female empowerment.

As for why she is disliked, they tried to pretend she was Marvel's own Wonder Woman, except she is nowhere near as successful (I know people say WW has no fans, but if you compare both character sales, you realize WW can hold her own for a long time while Carol's titles have been renumbered several times ever since her redesign, with her never making past 16 issues).
It only got much worse during Civil War II, where she is made the default heroic side of the conflict and she gets away with so much shit much like Tony did in the first Civil War. She arrests people before they commit crimes and without evidence using only the word of a seer that is proven to not be 100% reliable, and did this so much her catchphrase was pretty much "you are under arrest". She threw even allies under the bus the moment they showed doubt or were willing to go up against her agenda. Got people killed because of her actions including War Machine and She-Hulk, probably would have gotten Tony killed too if it wasn't for his return. Because of her, Captain America became director of SHIELD and is the reason why we have Secret Empire (though whether you like Hydra Cap or not, you may probably find this the only thing she did).

All in all, the few people that genuinely care about the character are pretty divided on what think about her because she does so many stupid shit that is indefensible and some probably are arguing she shouldn't be the female face of Marvel (I dread to think who should be).

Kinda made me realize just how many of the marketable female Marvel characters are mutants or Fantastic Four related.

We're not Holla Forums. I like to think this board is above blaming everything on SJWS without rhyme or reason.

We are for the most part, they're still guilty for everything MARVEL.

The marvel stuff is with good reason though. Writers are openly for social justice and both of the big two have been pushing diversity agendas, though Marvel much more aggressively.

Really makes you think.

Wut?

It was during the election, iirc the President of Marvel made a donation to a charity fundraiser for veterans. But because the fundraiser was being held by that Meanie Rascist Litteraly Hitler Donald Trump, they hounded him over it until he stepped down. I remember watching a video about it around this time last year.

He's still the CEO of Marvel you fucking retard.

Replying to my own post because I actually did some research. Around the time of the first debate, Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter donated 1million dollars to a fundraiser held by Donald Trump that was held to raise money for veterans. After he did this, Salon and many other professional whiners on Twitter called him every label under the sun Racist, Fascist, you name it. I looked it up and all I could find was a Breitbart article and a few Youtoube videos discussing it.

Well shit
Now I feel retarded.

This post was made in vain

Come on, anons, you are my only source of newz, get your shit togheter

Jesus, why would anyone think Perlmutter would step down, let alone for SJW pressure? The guy couldn't care less for what these people think since he firmly believes female lead movies do not sell and that nobody would tell the difference if they recasted War Machine in the Iron Man movies.
The irony is that he is the reason why Marvel is infected with social justice warriors in the first place, because they are cheaper than a no-limit ho and doesn't care they write shit that is politically adverse to his own.

It's summer asshole. If you want accurate news, come back in September when the fags die off.

In September, Marvel is going to be releasing their Venomverse event, where they flood the market with Venom books due to the popularity of the Venom comics. They're going to be releasing more titles than any fag in the Venom threads could possibly afford or want.

They're going to be doing the exact same thing with the Venom books that they did with the SJW books, which was the exact same thing they did with the meme books, which was the exact same thing they did with the grim and gritty books. I look at the history of Marvel doing the exact same thing, a trend that goes all the way back to the sixties, and it makes me think that you're retarded casuals who think comic companies are principled or something.

What I liked about her in the early 2000s is that she was just brutal. Ms Marvel would just murder her way out of any conflict. The woman was clearly mentally unstable and someone like that holding so much power was kinda cool.

But today Marvel is kinda trying to make her into some sort of female Captain America. Back then anyone would know better than to make Ms. Marvel the leader of anything, today she is the new flagship character of the company.

What the fuck are you talking about? The surge in Venom content is cynical hype building to the film that's in the works. It's a temporary marketing thing. SJW books are wider in scope, are not stopping, and are not entirely due to "principles". They want to widen their audience. They think it's a good way to artificially avoid the appearance of staleness to replace every iconic white male they can with womyn/POC and spread the same hard-left drivel as everything else in the entertainment industry. They also think they're good people for doing it.

Yeah great character they have there that needs to be rebooted 4 times and can barely make past 12 issues with each volume. She isn't even the best selling character by a long shot.

That's Marvel logic for you.

What the fuck are YOU talking about? Venomverse is coming out this September and the earliest release date for a Venom movie is October of next year.

I get that you need to bitch about social justice, but fucking seriously. If it was to promote the movie, it would've been published around the release date of the movie next year.

oh please.
venomverse is the first step in venom advertising
he especially needs it as spider-man or the avengers don't need help
but Venom, they best start racking up hype in all departments.
Same thing happened and is still happening with Thanos

Marvel is continuing to feature Captain Marvel because her fans are insane. Dangerously insane. The kind of insane that can cause serious amounts of bad publicity, enough that it can scare shops off of their product. The last time they tried to cancel Captain Marvel, they got a backlash like you wouldn't believe.

They're also racist as fuck. No Holla Forumslock has ever come close to the torrent of anti-arab slurs the average Captain Marvel fan has dumped on Ms. Marvel. They utterly despise the character for stealing the spot-light from their precious Carol.

They've managed to become worse than H.E.A.T., and that's saying a lot.

It's just some guy on here that masturbates to Eddy Brock and swears you should totally give Marvel your money now. It's best to ignore him. Nice trips

She used to be in a leotard with large breasts and got turned into a mouthpiece for the author who failed to understand what he was arguing anyways, and had her tits reduced and head shaved.

I actually asked why she's liked/disliked

If I wanted to fit in with you I'd just read the comics myself.

You really are new.

We just get a single painanon to storytime it, then a couple people sum it up for everyone else and post some of the panels that make them laugh.

She was written by Kelly Sue Deconnick, writer of such classics as Bitch Planet.

Have you ever read Bitch Planet? It's about a future where bitchy women are imprisoned off-world. The author treats the premise with complete seriousness, resulting in a terrible, cringe filled intersectional feminist propaganda piece/masturbation device.

Now if you can imagine that person writing for Carol Danvers Captain Marvel, then you'll have a complete grasp on why people hate the character.

Now this I have to see myself. I can't believe the same kind of people who love Nu-Carol would be so Islamophobic.

I guess I'm just more masochistic then

I'll read something if it makes me curious. I assure you, I can get mad at overbearing politics like anyone else.

Here you go. SJW complains about how racist Carol fans are.

archive.fo/Jh3Yn

Beware though, the author a massive SJW cultist. She follows unbelievable amounts of identity politics/hipster trash (and Joe Biden) on her twitter.

Yeah… It seems like most of the fans either think Arab Ms. Marvel is the greatest thing ever or they go totally apeshit about it.

Marvel realised that all their mainline marketeable Female characters, all their parallels to Wonder Woman, are outside their reach movie-wise- they were mostly X-Men (like Storm, for an example). In need of having their own Wonder Woman, they turned around to see what they could use. Black Widow has no powers, so she can't be the Wonder Woman- feminists have been complaining there's no Black Widow film, but then they'd complain that the female-led Marvel film is about the character without powers. Wasp was tied and bogged down both movie and comic-wise. Scarlet Witch was ambiguous due to the Mutant connection. Spider-Woman has the Spider-Man connection, tangentially. So they were basically left with Ms. Marvel. How to upgrade her into "the big female lead of the Marvel Universe"? Well, the title of Captain Marvel is free…

Christ, thank you user… If I had not seen this with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed. Also thank you for the foreword about the pozzed author.

Why the fuck can't hipsters make their own goddamn culture? Why do they just steal shit from everyone else?

I am in disbelief that such people even exist. I would have liked if the broad that wrote this article had attached tweets of her rabid fans attacking Kamala. I can't wrap my head on SJWs daring to attack PeeOoSees at the expense of a white woman when they are all on the same side.

Either way, I love how she pretty much admits Carol is the not as popular as Marvel or her fans would like you to believe and she sells like utter shit.

But they're not. SJWs are hipsters, and hipsters don't have any loyalty except to their own "authenticity".

Looking at it, the entire SJW movement was likely created to obfuscate the fact that Hipsters are just shallow yuppies who parasite off cultures. This is why it exploded so quickly, since the hipsters drive to be "authentic" already placed them in positions of influence in various subculture hubs, like video game and comic book journalism.

She married/fucked her way into comics. If it wasn't for Fraction, she would not have written a thing. And she can't even take care of her tattoo - putting on lotion, sunscreen, staying hydrated, and not being a drunk is not difficult.

Marvel had some good female characters, but most of them faded into obscurity, because X-women were always put in the spotlight. If Marvel was smart, they would promote characters like Monica Rambeau, She-Hulk, or Wasp. Or just stop being lazy and create a brand new and good female character that isn't just feminist mouthpiece or female version of a male superhero.

Because everything they have has been handed to them. Most of these hipsters are trust fund kids. Easy life tends to stifle creativity, so only thing they could do is rip off others. They are parasites and their only skills are socializing and forming cliques.

She-Hulk has the problem of being "female version of male character" and Monica Rambeau's too obscure; Wasp, comics-wise, has spent most of last decade either dead or being rescued from being dead and is attached to "wife-beater" Hank Pym; movie-wise, was mired in the long-in-development Ant-man film.

The choice of Carol Danvers to be the Wonder Woman isn't a bad one in itself. They just fucked up entirely in doing it.

Carol Danvers problem is she has no personality, so she just been going from one gimmick to the next. First she couldn't remember being Ms Marvel. Then she had a string of boring things like editing a feminist magazine or being a astronaut. She was then retconned to be a rape victim at which point someone decided to put her out of her misery and have Rogue take her powers and push Danvers aside. She eventually came back and in 2006 was trying to be a better hero brought on by how she was revered during House of M.

Now I mention all of this because it all got shoved aside the second Marvel decided to make her their Wonder Woman, as others have pointed out. So Danvers got a new suit, a new codename, and a shitty haircut. Marvel handed her to an untested writer as pointed out. She had a vocal online following, not because she was a good writer, but because she said all the right things on twitter and tumblr. And Mrs Fraction turned her into the typical Whedon knockoff, which means zero personality but lots of sarcasm. It didn't do anything to make her interesting or elevate her. The series failed despite the loud retards online calling themselves the "Carol Corps" acting like they were significant in number. So it got relaunched and failed again and again and again. Every time they relaunched the series, she got a new job that was supposed to make her more important to the MU. They stuck her in the middle of Civil War, made her unquestionably wrong, but suffer no consequence for it. And at no point have they given her a personality.

TL;DR: She's become the Poochie of the MU. They're forcing her on the Marvel fans trying to make her the perfect stronk female without making her anything interesting.

Hipsters are a truly frightening subculture. They make me miss the days of Emo and Goth. At least they had something to their ridiculous clown cultures. Hipsters are like the fucking Borg. No culture, just mindless assimilation.

All this is is a SJW trying virtue signal harder than your average SJW. Where your average SJW is happy to blindly support a female lead title, this cunt wants to show she's better because she likes the nigger and mudslime characters more. So she's just projecting on the average SJW. There's no racism in Cunty Carol's fanbase, this just made up racism, like all SJW racism.

Couldn't be more wrong,She-Hulk only started that way,she later got reimagined as a lawyer with self-esteem issues.Unlike Hulk,She-Hulk found the Hulk-ening a blessing and for good reason,super strength,amazonian physique with no loss of mental faqulties.This resulted her in being She-Hulk 24/7 and had good rep In-Universe.Contrast this with the Jerkyl and not-evil-Hyde deal vanilla Hulk got with him being hunted.

Now that Banner's dead after Cho inherited the Hulkness and he's too goofy,She-Hulk got cannibalized into Hulk without all the bad shit that made the Hulk justified being the Hulk.The worst thing to happen to her is her cousin's death after her coma from War Machine's Anti-Thanos missile,which is nothing compared to the shit Banner himself put up with before going full rage.As a result it is now something that neither Hulk nor She-Hulk Fans want,basically a comic that doesn't appeal to the audience of the "new" character nor the audience for the "older" series.

user, I'm talking from a general marketing perspective. I know She-Hulk's a great character and could be done great in the MCU (ideally as a show, so they could go crime procedural with it). But imagine you're in their shoes, and your problem is "we need to pander to the female audience". Are you really going to go with the character literally named "she-male hero"?

The biggest problem Carol had/has is she has no real personality to speak of. Things as said would happen to her but she was still a complete void in terms of character. Only recently, thanks to a total lack of self awareness at Marvel these days, she's finally gotten the personality of a massive unlikable cunt, even though that wasn't what they were going for.

You'll note this is the opposite of Wonder Woman's personality problem, where she seems to have 10 million of them because every writer has their own idea of who she is.

Wonder Woman wouldn't have that issue if DC would just figure out who the fuck she is and stick with it.

We know Superman as the Big Blue Boyscout. He lives by Truth, Justice, and the American way, as well as being the physical embodiment of the American heartland.

Batman is broody, and borderline mental. He lives for revenge and punishment.

Wonder Woman? Who the fuck knows.

She's been like this for so long every writer and every fan has their own idea now, there is no base character that everyone will agree on to go back to.

I mean they've tried to stabilize her, that's what the constant reboots were for. It's just every one of them failed when some fuckwit in management had an idea for something else and thought the current incarnation was wrong. If the movie's a big enough success maybe that will finally do it, but the other DC movies are so shit that might not even take.

She should be a bit of a hotheaded warrior type who can rile people up. Her personality would be somewhere between Batman and Superman, but with some impulsiveness and maybe cockiness thrown in as well. If Supes stands for Ethos, Batman for Logos, Wonder Woman should be Pathos.
As to her solo stuff, I would keep her dealing primarily with deities, monsters, and magic related threats.

I've always liked the approach of her being a hyper aggressive amazon, with the only man who she publicly acknowledges as her equal as Superman (The Dark Knight Wonder Woman essentially), but secretly thinks many are her equal or superior to her.

See I've always preferred the more friendly (but not completely diplomatic) approach like in the amazing Azzarello run. Leaves hyper aggression to Artemis. Meanwhile the public still remembers Lynda Carter.

You see the problem her character has.

It's done this early so that shitty pop culture/news outlets can write a string of clickbait articles about it, increasing awareness/hype. The time gap also allows collected editions to be available in time for the movie, though Marvel doesn't always time it right.

Ultimate Spidey was marketing for the Raimi films.

Planet Hulk/World War Hulk were marketing for the Edward Norton Hulk movie.

The Straczynski Thor run and Siege were marketing for the Thor movie.

2012 Winter Soldier series was marketing for Winter Soldier.

Age of Ultron was marketing for the eponymous Avengers movie.

Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy run was marketing for the eponymous movie.

Old Man Logan's popular but unnecessary Bendis'd sequels from Secret Wars and his subsequent entering mainstream continuity were part of a marketing drive for Logan.

Civil War II was marketing for Civil War, Cap Marvel and Inhumans.

Infinity was marketing for Infinity War.

Is it still marketing if no one reads it?

reddit spacing

This I doubt. No way Marvel would act in order to give publicity on Fox' stuff. If there's any connection, they were hoping Logan would act as publicity for their comics.

Doesn't matter if nobody reads it so long as it's talked about online.

Are you the same Brockfag whose been shitting up the board for the past month with constant "Buy Marvel's comics guys, Eddie's in them now!" shit?

Most likely yes.

A few years back I brought one of the CM trades, and I found it to be so bland and boring, I decided to avoid any CM/KSD written comics for the future. The only part of the story I found interesting was when it was revealed the villain has been unsafely mining a planet for vibranium (the same material Cap America shield uses, to coat his spaceships for defense) causing it's inhabitants to all be come sick. I do find it amusing the only thing I found interesting about the story was a fictional substance mostly associated with another Marvel character entirely.

The issue No is CM 1-6 (2014) but basically it's Carol in space and at one point where she meets the Guardians of the Galaxy (probably a promo cameo for the first movie release). I may try re-reading the trade in the future for a second opinion but it's always stuck in my mind as the first trade I would get rid of from collection. On one hand maybe it was just a bad story arc, but on the other hand it just left a bitter feeling of regret for buying it.

When will they ever learn that SJW vocally support but don't buy shit?

And from the comment section: Rogue with Carol's powers was a lot better than Carol's over been on her own.

Not gonna lie, my personal preference for Wonder Woman is the character in the trio most likely to ask the person she's fighting "what's wrong" and try and help them alongside stopping them.

The thing with so many feminist authors is that they look at everything associated with traditional femininity and toss it out, and this results in a ton of female characters turning into absolute cunts.

As a result they forget about the nurturing aspects, of things like the simple kindness of a hug and a kind word. How being willing to listen can end a situation before it goes too far.

Granted, I am FULLY aware how easily this can fall into the SJW tripe from another direction, I don't want to see WW comics turn into care bear hug-a-thons (cause heaven knows most version of Cheetah ain't exactly the type to appreciate that, let alone how dull WW's comics would be as a whole), but it would be nice to see some warmth from certain characters again.

I dunno. It's 3AM here, and my brain ain't exactly firing on all cylinders here. If anyone want's to try and say what I'm saying better go ahead.

I laff evertim

I would have to respectfully disagree there, user.
I would leave the diplomacy to Superman.
I found WW at her best when she can and will just murder when the situation calls for it. Batman's whole shtick is to never kill people, and while Superman has killed people, I would doubt anyone who says that Superman's line for that isn't set higher than WW's.

That fucking story. Carol was doing her normal "I'm just a way to move the plot forward" self but interesting shit was happening around her. A supporting cast was being built and a bunch of launching points for future stories were established. Great, this is the perfect time to flesoh wait they dropped the whole thing.

This isn't a Carol problem either, this is a line wide problem at Marvel. They spend 6 months of horribly decompressed comics building a supporting cast and status quo for the character(s) only to tear the whole thing down the second they've finished because it's either time for a bullshit event or a new writer or both. Then the whole shitty process starts over and nothing of note ever happens.

The thing with Ms Marvel that I always found hilarious was that she was clearly created to pander to the feminist movement of the 70's but she never caught on, so she spent the rest of the various decades being a D-List hero at best.

And it wasn't until recently did Marvel decide to have Carol take up the mantle of Captain Marvel (another D-List hero) in order to appeal to feminists and to the shock of no one it got them nowhere.

Bats will merely make you wish he killed. Clark won't kill anyone less than pure evil and whom has also gotten to him on a personal level. Diana is an Amazon, and so killing is no big deal.

Is the second woman Zatanna?

I'm not up on Marvel; why does Miles not count as a "diverse" character? (fuck I feel like a racist/sexist calling any character not white and male "diverse." Way to fucking go Othering everyone, SJWs) Is it because it's a successful title, so it doesn't fit the narrative of failure and underdog status? Is he actually an interesting character, so they have nothing to latch onto as "powerful?" Or is this just empty blatant disregard for contradictory data?

Yep.

I feel like the author is just disregarding him for the sake of her argument to pretend not enough Tumblr characters.

It's hard to not bring up SJW-ness. Carol Danvers was created back in the 60's to pander to that era's version of feminism. Ever since then, Marvel has throw her against the kitchen wall to get her to stick to something, anything. Judging by her weak sales, it just hasn't happened yet.

Nowadays, Marvel is trying to appeal to the HRC voting demographic. Sadly, they may read comics, but they sure as fuck don't buy them.

That's the point. They're releasing the comics early enough that if they're shit, they can be cancelled and fall from public memory before the movie. If they're good, they'll keep going and hype people up for the movie.

Not the user you were asking but If they can find away to make it funny, should they ever make a netflix show, and make it reasonable and explainable to female masses they can't get mad at such a simple name like that. They can easily pulla trick in The Batman where batgirl tried to force announced people to call her batWOMAN but she couldn't fight for the name she wanted and eventually settled for the name since under disguise her dad called her batgirl after rescusing him.

I'm liking what I'm hearing.

Actually, it's because the new Venom editor, Devin Lewis, is a Brockfag who shitposts on this board. I know you wont believe me, but I'm his assistant. I have a twitter that no one follows, and for some reason no one knows who I am even though I do all the work around this office. We get fan letters coming in, and all the Venom fans are thanking Devin Lewis and Mike Costa, but none of them thank me.

Then why did they return Venom to being a White Christian Adonis?

They probably intend to ruin his character with shit stories until his fan base dries up.

Her fans have nothing to do with Carol's ongoing getting relaunched repeatedly and everything to do with Marvel wanting to both maintain a hold on the Captain Marvel trademark and to build up a backlog of relevant material for when her movie finally comes out. Her "fans' might as well be nonexistent considering how unstable her sales have been.

To make him a villain again. Flash was also an aryan, and a wounded veteran at that. Bringing back Eddie allows them to push the "white Christian men are psychos" narrative in a way that makes sense in universe.

Except for the fact that he's a good guy now. Did you even read Carnage?

Have you read the latest issue of Venom? It's pretty clear they're having him go crazy again to restore the status quo with Brock Venom being a villain with Punisher-esque tendencies, which leftists push as "bad and mean."

I'm sorry, what? Where did Marvel touch you?

The Symbiote is growing rabid, but Eddie isn't. That's where the conflict comes from. Him trying to do good, while the symbiote manipulates and abuses him. The whole point of the new story is that it's an abusive relationship. Essentially the Symbiote is a Yandere.

I hear the 2006 run was supposed to be good
is it?

Regarding female characters representing Marvel I thought it was usually She Hulk and in the 90's it was Storm due to popularity in the X men comics.

Honestly, I thought Wondy's personality was more like a diplomat. She would try to mediate problems but if the time arose she would fight. Going from what I've read of her she seems kind of like the stoic type. She's kind of like the straight goody two shoes of the female super heroes in the same way Superman is with the male ones.

I agree with you 110% man.

She kinda straddles the line all the time which makes her kinda…Confused.

The problem with Superman is that after the initial dip of "Man hes such a bore!" hes become more and more interesting with time. Nows hes NOT archetypical. He goes counter too it. In a time when everybody is busy killing or having grim as fuck stories, a guy who's GENUINELY kind and doesn't surrender his principles is an anathema.

Wondie kinda doesn't have that.

Not really relevant but I just want to point out that brockfag is not only a blatant shill but he's also such a fucking newfag that he can't into the 'bendisspeak' meme

Can you just start using a name already? We all know you're the same guy.

Typical social justice shit to employ loaded terms to make their cause appear more legitimate than it actually is, but trivializes the meaning of an otherwise serious word. Abuse is another word they ran to the ground alongside racist and sexist.

Both Storm and She-Hulk are ironically Marvel's counterparts to WW, the former being the most popular and having a close personality to Diana (not to mention the two characters were merged during the Amalgam Universe) and Shulkie is WW's physical equivalent.

And Storm is owned by Fox when it comes to movies, so Marvel stopped caring about her, and She Hulk is shit because she's just a female version of a male character. She might have good stories, and be a good character, but the concept itself is enough to turn off anyone who isn't autistic.

Brian Reed's Ms Marvel run isn't great, as its weighed down by event tie-ins that disrupt it from coming into its own. At best, it's worth reading for comparison's sake.

fuck off venomfag

The other guy is the one shilling Eddie Brock as a "white Christian Adonis" you fucking moron

Honestly, it's a simple matter of it being a bland character, with generic powers, who used to be known only for a sexy costume, and then lost the costume.

She's Iron Man. She's Ant Man. She's Wonder Woman Etc.

She's never had a classic, defining storyline. She's never had any memorable villains. She's just there. Writers have tried, just like writers have tried with Tony Stark, and hank pym. And like with those characters, those story lines either didn't stick or made things worse. Carol has been raped by her own time traveling son, lost her powers, joined the X-Men, got godlike powers, lost godlike powers, became an alcoholic, dated Spider-Man, became a plane freak, and led the avengers multiple times. And despite all that is still a milquetoast.

Like someone said, shes not A-list, but Marvel is trying to force to be A-List to sell the movie. Marvel has more iconic female characters, but they are attached to properties that belong to other studios (No idea why no She-Hulk movie, it would be a slam dunk). And her movie could be good. The Iron Man and Ant-Man movies were good despite the comic characters being stuck in a dead end.

She had a good run by Chris Claremont in her first series, but that was cancelled with some plotlines that continued into X-Men.
I keep telling you assholes to read it, but research to you means the couple issues of X-Men she showed up in.

Iron Man isn't as bad as the other two you listed. Someone familiar with comics could give you at least one major personality trait and some bad guys (albeit all ones who fall into "evil guy with power armor") which is far above the other two.

Is Power Pack the only marvel comic where events it wasn't central to actually advanced its primary plot instead of being glorified filler?

I'm interested in doing some research on this. When did it happen?

I am honest to god trying to read this first issue of their 2016 run of Captain Marvel and I've gotten no insight into Carol as a character.

She hates boring desk jobs? I guess that means she seeks excitement? You could turn it into something interesting like her being a thrill seeker, like Superman but with her doing risky, suicidal kinds of missions? Could tie it into her backstory, being this dangerous pilot or something. I dunno, I think I'm adding more depth to her character than the writers.

Nevermind the actual story of the issue was boring as fuck. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to create an origin story for her, or at least give her a relate-able conflict to build stories off of.

No wonder people think Billy's a better Captain Marvel.

It's complicated. Avengers 200 mostly.

carolastrickland.com/comics/msmarvel/index.html

cbr.com/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/

Funny I hear people say Extremis was the definitive Iron Man story.

You mean retards, fam?

That's what people who haven't actually read any Iron Man comics say.

Sure.

Yeah, I can buy that. It always weirded me out when people said that since it was an okay story so I wouldn't put it that high on great Iron Man stories.

Her father is a construction worker and very dismissive of herFOR FUCKS SAKE READ THE FIRST SERIES

I'll link you to Illuminating comics tumblr page where he explains why he likes Carol. illuminatingcomics.tumblr.com/post/161861503515/so-what-made-you-choose-carol-as-the-i-guess

That's been my experience with it.

She started as an interesting and frankly admirable attempt to recycle an old character that completely hit the mark and launched a small dedicated fanbase with general respect from the base.

Then with the push to make her Captain, she was given a frankly horrible costume and shitty personality at the same time they started pushing her hard at every opportunity.

And, frankly, I liked her better as Mrs. Marvel. I HATE HATE HATE the new one.

Bull dykes.

Because there is only one Captain Marvel.

not an argument

Nice.

How are Carolfags ever going to recover?

Speaking off, why is Billy always treated like a second string joke in team ups? Looking at his over all abilities, he should be just as terrifying as Superman when going all out.

Probably because they have no respect for the character and have no idea what to do with him.

A twelve year old, grappling with the responsibilities of having power in the same weight class as Superman? Growing up in a difficult place, with little guidance, while those who could guide him view him as an adult and peer, not a child?

Yea, I don't see how that could generate anything compelling. It's not like it practically writes itself.