au.cloveros.ga
uk.cloveros.ga
ca.cloveros.ga
uswest.cloveros.ga
cloveros.ga/s/signatures/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180215.iso.asc
hooktube.com/watch?v=Eo6DC3m2U7o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nobody here is using Noobuntu, though.

8/10 for not using the word "botnet" like most retards here though.

yeah exactly i dont get why people dont like steam, i mean, you can opt out of those hardware surveys you idiots

Why do they need to do this? Is there any other reason then tracking the amount of people who opt out of being tracked? Ironic. Isn't it?

This has nothing to do with Steam. Steam collects far more information, does it regularly and cannot be disabled.

Canonical will only collect data pertinent to the install process, during install, and that's it.

Like google collect "non identifying" information, right? You're too naïve to not be retarded, user.

i tried to be a normie for a bit and i made a facebook and joined linux group, almost half of them use and recommened ubuntu and give not so good help and i tried to help{a more secure way) but they would delete my post. like i told them not to use unetbootin cause it cuts out the bootloader and replaces them and showed them how to use dd and i did warn them not to set speed too high and shit and they deleted it along with others that really were helpful

All distro hopping paths ultimately end in Ubuntu.

they can get a solid number of people installing the distro.

im never going back. im on riced arch and am not moving unless i build up nerves and have some massive hand holding. i love linux too much to go back------wards to ubuntu

I ended up on Debian, but yeah. You eventually get bored of tinkering and want a stable install.

sorry forgot *hand holding for gentoo

No thanks.

i dont know what your smoken, ive never stopped tinkering with my distros, its fun. when i was in my virgin linux days i couldnt stop tinkering with mint and mint started getting mad at me in irc cause i wanted to change so much shit in their distro kek

This but with Window Managers.

i3 will have you spending 4 hours for marginal 5% productivity side-grades each time.

Is this really a violation of user freedom? Only issue is that it's the default.

well how would you feel if you signed a contract and it says and we can make a copy of your brainand can use it to get info on you and the box was checked? not quite as bad but a noob to linux that holds privacy above all else would prolly flip a shit if it was checked

Take the code and show me that it's sending more data than they claim to. Show that it collects data after the install process and that it disregards the user's choice to not send data.
That is, if you can even read code.

It's been shit since the beggining, literally redhat.

Shiiiiet, makes me go back to 2015 when Microsoft finally provided enough bullshit to make me switch to Linux.

Debian has been doing this for the past 5 years at least, newfaggt

Says the guy posting a brainlet wojak

Glass houses, meme machine.

switched to manjaro bspwm after hearing the news

OpenSUSE Leap is a good alternative to Ubuntu LTS.

Ubuntu is also rolling back Wayland as the default display server and going back to X11

I use it on one of my machines. It's fine. There are a few reasons not to use it (like the one this thread is about) but the main one people have in practice is elitism.

Why is that bad? The replacement bootloader is good too, probably more robust even.
The greatest meme of all. Just use cp.

your telling me antix has a shit bootloader?????? antix has one of the best bootloaders

Are you fucking kidding ree? You land on either Debian, Devuan (now) or OpenBSD.

dd is all i use

>implying that some critical update will (((accidentally))) reset the option not to report the data
It's like it's fucking 1997 and you think Linux distros are trustworthy or something.

*won't

We would like to add a checkbox to the installer, exact wording TBD, but
along the lines of “Send diagnostics information to help improve Ubuntu”.
This would be checked by default.

The result of having that box checked would be:

* Information from the installation would be sent over HTTPS to a service
run by Canonical’s IS team. This would be saved to disk and sent on first
boot once there is a network connection. The file containing this data
would be available for the user to inspect.

That data would include:
* Ubuntu Flavour
* Ubuntu Version
* Network connectivity or not
* CPU family
* RAM
* Disk(s) size
* Screen(s) resolution
* GPU vendor and model
* OEM Manufacturer
* Location (based on the location selection made by the user at
install). No IP information would be gathered
* Installation duration (time taken)
* Auto login enabled or not
* Disk layout selected
* Third party software selected or not
* Download updates during install or not
* LivePatch enabled or not

* Popcon would be installed. This will allow us to spot trends in package
usage and help us to focus on the packages which are of most value to our
users.

* Apport would be configured to automatically send anonymous crash reports
without user interruption.

The results of this data would be made public. E.g. People would be able
to see that X% of Ubuntu users are based in .de vs Y% in .za. Z% of our
users run Dell hardware, and so on.
The Ubuntu privacy policy would be updated to reflect this change.

Any user can simply opt out by unchecking the box, which triggers one
simple POST stating, “diagnostics=false”. There will be a corresponding
checkbox in the Privacy panel of GNOME Settings to toggle the state of this.

How?

Are Ubuntufags on cuckchan probably on suicide watch now?

AntiX does indeed have an excellent bootloader. However, using dd to commit it to a stick cuts out all of the neat persistance options. You have to use an iso style rather than a disk image style. I know their tool allows this on Linux, and Rufus on Windows does a great job of this as well.

Do "dd if=/sbin/dd of=/dev/sda" first and then you'll be able to say that.

I guess you have no fucking clue what is spyware.

isnt this the same thing that debian does with that popcon package that you see when its getting installed?

but will it affect existing installs too or only new?

CloverOS GNU/Linux

Git: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros
ISO: cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180215.iso
Libre ISO: cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS_Libre-x86_64-20180215.iso
GPG: 78F5 AC55 A120 07F2 2DF9 A28A 78B9 3F76 B8E4 2805
IRC: #cloveros on irc.rizon.net
Twitter: twitter.com/cloveros_ga
Packages: 3514 cloveros.ga/s/packages.html
Rsync: rsync://fr.cloveros.ga/cloveros
License: WTFPL
Mirrors: useast.cloveros.ga fr.cloveros.ga fr2.cloveros.ga au.cloveros.ga uk.cloveros.ga ca.cloveros.ga uswest.cloveros.ga
Validate ISO:

gpg --keyserver hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key "78F5 AC55 A120 07F2 2DF9 A28A 78B9 3F76 B8E4 2805"
wget cloveros.ga/s/signatures/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180215.iso.asc
gpg --verify CloverOS-x86_64-20180215.iso.asc CloverOS-x86_64-20180215.iso

Just trust them not to log them. You can trust them,they're Ubuntu. ;D

shiggy diggy

popcon is opt-in, this is opt-out and sends more data. Almost no one changes the defaults and those who do don't matter to the vendors.

they‘ll turn that on by default as well

probably because im too scared about losing my data or the drive ids changing and everything getting fucked.

Clover has malware and firmware viruses.

GNU?
Linux?

lol

rmfs your self faggot

Come on that's just asking for some NSA agent to sneak something in.

Everything on the Internet is NSA! Even I am an NSA agent who is a dog!

It's your first day!

Don't you dare talk back to a dog!

Mr. NSA Agent, are you a good boy?

Yes I am! My master pays me very well for my service.

Sad that heist at NSA HQ didn't work out for you?

you're the stereotypical "XD N00BUNTU!!1!1!1!" 12 year old who just found out arch is the "cool kids" distro
-gentoo fag

Not surprised in the slightest given the Amazon search fiasco.

The main reason to avoid Noobuntu right here.
Aggressive promotion of simplified, non-scriptable, reduced functionality graphical tools and tech-support-like handholding that creates dependence and a widening breach between the established users and newcomers, instead of providing resources to learn (or at least ease them into) best practices and the tools already provided by the OS. for fuck's sake I think even Debian's reference is way better than whatever Ubuntu's help system is out of the box
Soon the majority of people using Noobuntu won't know what a package manager (just flatpak/appimage everything yo), config files, or even cd are, and Lunix will finally become Windows 2: Electric Boogaloo.

What did you mean by this? Debian has excellent documentation, better than Windows or OS X for sure.

Debian documentation's main weakness is it needs some pruning or categorization. It's easy to come across something that only applied a couple versions ago and not realize it until apt isn't finding the packages it's talking about.
Windows documentation used to be great- real books written by a real English speaker. That's gotten worse and worse with every version. Now when clicking help on a dialog box option you will just get a one line rephrase of the dialog text in broken English.

ah ha! i think i found the thread that the nigger was trying to bury here. fucking canonical shill, we stopped trusting you assholes when you pulled that shit with amazon years ago anyway, fuck off back to hell.

Ubuntu is just Debian nonfree with chocolate skinned globalism and spyware.

Can you explain what you are saying here for a Linux noob.

dd, colloquially known as disk destroyer, is a utility for reading and writing between files and disks. Using dd with the input set as an iso and the output as a usb drive will write the exact contents of the iso to the usb driver.
I assume he's saying that the custom utility for writing the os to a usb drive is able to create extra partitions that would be needed to save data across reboots.

That's a long name for user friendliness.

oy vey guys don't bump this thread

amazing that you found this thread to be "stale" and yet the thread which was just a bunch of hashes and dead for a month to be interesting enough to bump...

oy gevalt i said don't bump this thread

love that half the threads youre bumping go against what you said your interests are
i hope theyre paying you like shit because youre a terrible shill

bump

heres a thought: if you dont like the threads on the front page of this board, why not make your own? oh wait, youre boring and unoriginal as fuck, youd actually need to have decent ideas for threads before you could necropost in them, and most important canonical wouldnt pay you for that!

debian does NOT collect info about the users configuration, and you have to OPT_IN if you want to participate in the package ranking, and even then the ONLY thing they collect is weather or not you chose to install a package while you were installing the system...

the real question is if this is gonna trickle down, and if it does, whats left for me to tell normies to install?

Fedora or OpenSUSE

Will derivatives be affected?

Glad I'm on Debian, but I still don't think it's quite enough. I need a new distro.

their decision, i suppose.

Staying hopeful then.

Check out devuan

What's she from?

You must be over 18 to post on this site

This is great meme you're posting.
Keep it up, maybe people will actually install gentoo now.

Same here but switched over to MX Linux a few days ago

How does it compare to xubuntu performance wise? Any issues?

How does it compare to xubuntu performance wise? Any issues?

you'll probably have to switch to a different OS to see any difference, the typical Linux distro has very similar requirements compared to all the rest given a certain DE/WM setup. The kernels are more or less the same, it's what you choose to run for your computing environment which makes the difference.

Then again there's a big spectrum, OpenWRT only uses a couple dozen MB of space and runs on machines that are tiny.

Same as the thing Debian does. Not a big deal, you always have to go through the installer so everyone will see it.

You fucking retard read the thread before you open your worthless mouth.

it's a pretty good idea, because they've never done any sort of user testing and they supported bullshit like ipods and 32-bits x86 way longer than any company in the industry. I'm not a fan of it, but it's not like it'd be difficult to apt remove all the services they add, and there's plenty I remove because they're just retarded.

some of these things, its like, ok, i would opt in to that, but some others, seriously wtf, opsec nightmare...

the part that makes it particularly asinine is that ubuntu is supposed to be a beginner distro, this is supposed to be the distro we tell normies to install, but this shit really kicks that to the curb...

actually the mint team has a distro thats based directly on debian, in their own words its not as user friendly, but it was the first distro i ever used and i turned out fine, that said im no fuckin normie either, i had to do a bit of reasearch but honestly i feel like i got more benefit from that than if i had gone for ubuntu anyway...

HOW??? it's a normie distro so it makes sense to test to see what features normies use or can understand. we're always gonna have fedora, arch and gentoo, and there's always going to be centos at work, and none of them are going to implement any of this shit.

screen size?
location?
autologin?
cpu?
gpu?
you cant be serious...
if all they wanted to know was what packages you choose AND it was OPT_IN [like debian] id be fine with that
but this shit is fucking insane...

are you even a developer bruh?

you are a fucking idiot paranoid baby that should grow up and get a job. then you might afford a laptop less than ten years old with more than a 1366*768 display and a celeron.

google also has reasons for all the data it collects, we do not want your spyware here

are you even not a retard?
a decade old laptop would have better opsec than the latest intel

ntm:
screen size and location can easily change
autologin obvious opsec nightmare
cpu/gpu lmao what an irrelevant argument it should fucking work on everyhting obviously

i could attack every point of data they collect, i only mentioned the obviously egregious ones because most people are smarter than you and already understand why they wouldnt want that information to go out, and you totally missed the point that all this shit is OPT_OUT on a distro we expect normies to install when we all know they just blindly click next until its done.

I was talking about debian-reference, a document that explains basic aspects of the system. It's a great starting point if you're not completely tech illiterate, but it's so ridiculously outdated it only mentions sysV init (no mention of shitstemD) and kernels 2.6 and 3.X.
Its wiki is rather good, but kinda hard to navigate, so I tend to rely more on reading Arch Wiki.
absolutely. Shitdows still doesn't have a decent pager for their command line interpreter, and its autocomplete still only includes stuff from the current directory. I wonder how the fuck Shitdows pajeets learn to use its CLI or where the fuck they get what registry values work for a key.
Haven't used it, but I'm guessing it's got toy versions with rounded corners of Unix tools and scant documentation for any setting not in the configuration GUI.

it runs on as little as 8MB Flash

pajeet detected
>>>/g/ as in /g/tfo

oh oh! we got a fucken' HACKER! over here
no. you end of life bullshit so you don't get people with brain damage complaining about bugs that occur on 486

install temple OS and livestream your pedo fantasies from a van. I don't think any of you have written anything more complicated than a shell script.

i meant i could explain or demonstrate why its bullshit
are you really this fucking stupid or are you just terrible at trolling?

oh wait, youre a fucking pajeet, now it makes sense you cant comprehend english

whatever, later homos.

enjoy your curry

Didn't know it could be that small. Neat.

it theres 1 reason to use the meme distro, its that it doesnt have systemd, the problem is that i cant think of any other...

And you can put lots of shit in that space. hostapd, freeradius, squid, OpenSSL, etc. You can also add a USB flash drive (assuming you have a USB port) if you run out of storage.

who the fuck seriously approves shit ideas like this?

I've learned to deal with systemd and mitigate security problems manually. It's not so bad when you put effort into it

This is what you literally sound like to me.

i actually have no problems working with systemd, but a lot of people here are resistant to learning how to do it, bucause "muh unix way" or as i see it, theyre just too lazy to rtfm, or they want to pretend as if init scripts arent slow as fuck and equally archaic just in a different way.

id explain why youre retarded but you probably wouldnt read that either

I wasn't arguing based off of freedom, though that's important to, I was arguing that there isn't a reason to have to deal with harmful software when there is alternatives available.

and why does that matter? init scripts are ran very infrequently, so the fact they are a little slower doesn't mean much.

it a matter of opinion, if you dont mind your machine booting unnecessarily slow, i cant convince you to care.
maybe it had some bugs in the past, but afik theyve all been fixed in a timely manner, please tell me a specific reason to thnik that it still might do some harm if you know one.

My system booted in only 12.086792 seconds. I wouldn't call this unnecessarily slow as it is an extremely tiny fraction of my current uptime.
A simple reason is that it pretty much needs to have several daemons running all the time. Not only are these extra processes, they also are bloated. OpenRC's init takes only 36KiB of memory where systemd's init takes 6120KiB. That's 170 times bigger! Some other systemd daemons which are always running on a machine I have.
systemd-timesyncd: 2284KiB
systemd-udevd: 4652KiB
systemd-journald: 4132KiB

again, i cant convince you to care, and i can see how in your situation a few extra seconds wouldnt matter.
journald is an amazing security feature the likes of which has never existed with init scripts, idk how much ram you have, but if you cant spare a few megs than do what you must, my point here is not to convince people who dont want to use systemd to use it, but to stop all the shitposting about it when its really not nearly as bad as people here make it seem, i mean look at the crap that canonical is doing, and we are still talking about systemd even in this thread...

Tell that to Luke Smith

Nope, that is from booting off a WD blue harddisk.
I can't find much information about this other than preventing applications from logging stuff while pretending to be a different application.
I'd rather spend my memory on applications that I want to run, not programs which are necessary for my operating system to function.

still cant convince you to save a few seconds if you dont care.
journald cant be fucked with even with root privileges, so even if your machine is cracked, the hacker can not erase his footprints.
how often are you really using swap space in this era? if its that important to you thats fine, but that doesnt make systemd harmful, evil, or broken, just more expensive, if you were to call that "bad" youd have to admit thats being really subjective.

I doubt that. Root can kill it, read and write to its memory, read and write to the memory of other processes which are trying to log things.

do you need me to find the docs for you?

Not him, but I'd like a link explaining why all that is impossible, yes. Sounds interesting.

if you can find a way to make journald not do its job, please describe the procedure, i will file a bug report if you dont want to. while youre thinking of how you might try, i will find a source for you.

hooktube.com/watch?v=Eo6DC3m2U7o
here it is straight from the camels mouth, obviously if you want to know all the details youre gonna have to read the code, but this is a nice overview.

it boils down to that your login as root as controlled by systemd, it therefore has controll of what root can do, and doenst let you fuck with journald.

Pick 1

Somebody's trying to bury this again

ban the shills!

Ban the [k00l] tripfag club!

Thanks for further proving that Ubuntu wants to be dime store Microsoft, OP.

tfw ubuntu has amazon adds built in before microsoft

Ubuntu derrivatives aren't affected. Sticking to KDE Neon

at this point i wouldnt trust ubuntu as far as i could throw it, and considering software is intangible, thats not very far...

Lighten up, it's open source and you can easily see what's going on. Plus derrivatives aren't influenced by Canonical at all, they're just recognized

so, basically, what youre saying is, we should find out where this info is being sent, how its formatted, and then send them a bunch of bogus data to screw with their statistics? hmm, i like it, but woudnt it be faster just to ddos them?

is anyone gonna actually do this?