Differences in usage: OpenBSD & FreeBSD

If you've used both (desktop or server), what's your opinion on them? Do you have a clear favourite for desktop use?

If possible, tell a bit about noteworthy experiences on these:

What features do you miss from FreeBSD when using OpenBSD and vice versa? If you like ZFS, is there a way to archieve similiar functionalty within Open with the tools that are there - will there be a HAMMER port? Does anything in administration or usage slow you down in the things that you actually want to do?

Please do not discuss the recent CoC nonsense, as there is a separate shitposting thread for this.

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/index.html
openbsdstore.com
youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY
openbsd.org/innovations.html
man.openbsd.org/xf86.4
marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=142356166731390&w=2
books.google.com/books?id=H7wxDQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
my.mixtape.moe/sxbwfs.pdf
g.sicp.me/books/
dragonflybsd.org/docs/supportedhardware/
mega.nz/#!1sgkhbzT!sfGddfbOg2Vjuh_E1BG8l2yM_rL0RcLB5YBp8blYZ2I
mega.nz/#!xgJDkQgZ!RJ2j7x4s0xCL7tFxdtJQSYFMv5SVHvOHgIOXWInP-dU
mega.nz/#!BlZSSRiS!Ww3VgUHiyY7BsHL3_SaBZu8mBeW56PqY26W80J4p-kQ
mega.nz/#!19xgFRxY!pinn6TTgaZvnnMg13UMcFFMj2pTGvA5sXznzPM8otYk
pkgsrc.org/
pkgsrc.se/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

I can really only speak on OpenBSD, last time I used FreeBSD I had to compile everything from ports, TrueOS was meh.

Takes no time at all, you can basically press enter a few times and have a working system, ever since syspatch updates are easy, upgrades are done by rebooting with the new version and selecting the upgrade option.

FFS, ancient but works well enough, HAMMER2 is being ported, DragonFly has just enabled HAMMER2 as an option in their release, so maybe this year at best? OpenBSD has worked with DragonFly very early on to ensure HAMMER2 will work with both OSes.

layout can be a bit strange at first, but hier(7) will tell you where everything is.
configuration is a breeze, everything stays in /etc/, everything actually makes sense, you can man -k what you want and actually get useful information.

Ports is ports really, pkg_add works well enough but nothing special, search with pkg_info -Q, update with pkg_add -u

About 5000 packages, they can be a bit old sometimes but for the most part I haven't found too many issues

no bluetooth, OpenBSD couldn't get it working without triggering their security autism

Can't say, I have run it on a PC Engines APU2 and a NUC, I have heard people use supermicro servers.

"OpenBSD is a Meme OS for kiddies who don't know what they're doing."
-- NetBSD & pkgsrc user

So it's basically the Kali of the *BSD world? With FreeBSD being the Ubuntu, and NetBSD what, the Gentoo?

GhostBSD
FreeBSD
OpenBSD
NetBSD

I've used both, won't be using FBSD anymore but anyways
FreeBSD uses a curses interface while OpenBSD is entirely text based. In general they provide the same functionality but OpenBSD's doesn't provide and option for FDE and requires you to manually configure it. In my opinion thats how it should be since the default options for that kind of thing are generally shit. Also I should note that freebsd doesn't provide true full disk encryption, its the same way it is on loonix, whereas on OpenBSD they designed it so everything including the kernel is encrypted.
As for upgrades I think following stable is generally the same on both, though I remember current being a bit less stable of FBSD then it is on OBSD.

FFS just works, and no HAMMER is not being ported to OBSD, it got dropped just like ZFS.
If you like ZFS then FBSD is clearly the winner.

FBSD has a curses ui in the installer so if thats your cup of tea it might be easier, but fdisk is perfectly acceptable IMO. This is however where ZFS is clearly better, no hard size limits on 'partitions' makes ZFS way nicer in actual use. In general though the default layout on OpenBSD has the partition sizes designed correctly so that you shouldn't ever run into a full filesytem. If you are on current though the /usr/obj partition should be 3-3.5GB(There is a way to upgrade on current using snapshots without putting them on a thumb drive and booting it, but I have never bothered figuring it out).
Also I should note that the hierarchies are the same except for OBSD's retarded decision of not have port/pkg config files in /usr/local/etc

In general if you are using packages these are both the same. They both seem to have the same packages. If you are building ports FBSD wins since you can change the build config sort of like you can on gentoo. Its not as good as use flags but its still decent. Though whenever I built my own packages on FBSD they seemed to segfault all the time at runtime.

Like the other guy mentioned, no bluetooth on OBSD. Bluetooth is pretty shit IMO so I don't really miss it.

In general neither gets new drivers as fast as loonix, though I often find that OpenBSD seems to end up with the relevant ones before FBSD.

Overall FBSD was less usable then OBSD since most of their devs don't use it. I know some people memed this but its true, most of them develop from MacOS. Now that

Nice meme, that sums up all your heavily biased opinion.

I gave FBSD credit where its due. And its literally true. Why do you think someone had to fork it to make a decent desktop version.

One has a code of conduct where you can't do *hug* to someone without their permission and the other doesn't.

What OpenBSD is missing for me:
>A better filesystem; UFS is good but clearly not as good as ZFS/HAMMER2/btrfs(when it's finally stable)
What it will always have:

I also forgot about that confusing disklabel and slices business.

Doesn't it have FreeBSD style customizable ports?
I know you can sometimes get packages built with alternate settings. I also believe they're just built from regular 'ol ports.
BTRFS is garbage.
ZFS is good but it takes high specs to run well.
UFS is basically a lighter version of ZFS with less neat features.
Not sure about HAMMER2.
Literally no reason to care about this unless you're a dev.
Also, OpenBSD includes GCC in the default install.

Thats good news. HAMMER2 looks promising and I heard only good things about HAMMER. ZFS is amazing, but there seem to be good reasons not to port it - so I'm thinking it would be a good substitute.
That's good to hear.
If it works as well as FreeBSD pkg it will suffice. I don't even really use obscure software, but having something available is generally a good thing.
It works on Linux but I don't really use it, so that's not a huge loss I guess.

Is there a main technical reason? The CoC is bullshit, but if there's anything else it would be interesting to know.
It's in /usr/ports/xy/program, right?
Yeah, it was a lot easier than I expected. I imagined having to fiddle around with it for some time before I get anything done. To my surprise it had a curses interface, needed little interaction and generally just worked.
The ports system on OpenBSD still pulls dependencies or do you have to do a lot more manually?

When we're talking about UFS, are we talking about UFS or UFS2? I saw it's supposed to be supported.

Convenient

Top wew~ The fact this kind of thing actually does violate that gay COC, should be what we focus our memes on.

Wow. I didn't even know it was possible for someone to be so full of shit.

you can also get linux apps running if you really want to, I've done it but i am ashamed

it barely runs on windows 10 so that's not surprising

I've used both and I prefer OpenBSD because of the added security and constant code checks. More stable because there's less code to go wrong. If you're a windows or linux or, god forbid, MAC user who's going to try OpenBSD, BUY the CDs the first time because there are install instructions in the jewel case that are indispensible and have saved my ass more than once.

OpenBSD has the fastest installer in the whole OS ecosystem. In a few minutes you have a working system. FreeBSD needs a lot of configuration to make it usable.

What user said . FFS is ancient but has never disappointed me. FreeBSD is almost synonymous with ZFS, so if you want that go with FreeBSD.

OpenBSD wins hands down the easy of configuration. No systemd, uses configuration files that are fully documented in man pages. No need to google anything (unlike FreeBSD/Linux).

Almost the same here.

FreeBSD has more programs available.

Personally, i'm posting from OpenBSD and i'm not missing anything. OpenBSD troubles some people because it does not hold your hand and expects you to do your homework before doing anything. In return, it has really simple system maintanance and does nothing behind your back (i.e no automated tasks).

Haven't recently used FreeBSD so can't say.

It is strange that OP didn't ask about that. OpenBSD is the only OS that removes old code and does not care about backwards compatibility. It embeds security guards inside the base OS and not as an add-on as all other OSes. If you use an openssh server, only OpenBSD has the best protections available (not linux, not freebsd, not netbsd).

Anyway, read OpenBSD's FAQ. Everything is there:
openbsd.org/faq/index.html

You're not talking about binary compatibility, are you? I always thought it was a FreeBSD-only feature.
Good to know, I'll probably buy the CDs to support them. I'd like to try it just with an image before though, maybe my hardware is not supported or something else puts me off.
>openbsdstore.com
Where are the CDs. It's either to late in the day or the shop doesn't work - or is out of stock.

The disc releases are dead now as i know.

Is there any chance to get a scanned version somewhere?

I would go with DfagonflyBSD or NeetBSD. I feel that OpenBSD developers aren't sincere (some of them sound pretty obnoxious, too. especially de Raat). I feel like OpenBSD guy's are deliberately trying to hide security issues (despite claiming to be the most secure OS ever. Their attitude is almost SystemD tier...)

And for the record, I have zero problem with the BSD license.

I knew it, NetBSD was for arch ricers

I think it's cool that you can get a funtional kernel (that is ~250 kilobytes in size) by simply removing hardware/options you don't need. It's honestly the most underrated BSD.

De Raadt definitely comes off as a cunt, but that's because he's from south africa, and all white afrikaners are cunts. It's their culture, esp. considering dutch heritage. However, I wouldn't call it insecure, since the NSA hasn't had OpenBSD exploit tools, according to leaks.

Well I spent a year running FBSD on my laptop before switching it to OBSD which I am now at just over a year with, and in general my experience with OBSD was much smoother. The system in overall is much lighter, everything always just works(including ports), and my battery life is much better. I like how clean OBSD's FDE implementation is and I like how strict they are with relevant standards compliance. I know that any software I write while doing my EE degree will run perfectly fine on whatever systems I move it to without me having to remove any "ease of programming" hacks I would implement if I was on other systems.
I still see some merit in HardenedBSD for a file server in the future, but I'm leading towards gentoo since I've been using it for a long ass time on my desktop and I still love it.

No what I mean is that every file that is not included in base on FreeBSD goes under /usr/local/${bin,man,etc,*}. Where as on OpenBSD they realized that this was a good idea but decided that all config regardless of wether its in base or not should go under /etc/.

Yes. It just doesn't offer any customization. Basically there is zero reason to build ports on openbsd unless you are running a pkg mirror. On freebsd you would build the port if you wanted do disable/enable certain features. Like USE flags on gentoo except with less flexibility.

Not anymore user, OpenBSD declared linux compat sucks and removed it.

The insincerity of OpenBSD devs doesn't appear to hold water under scrutiny, iirc this claim originated when someone popped up on the mailing list saying they backdoored a feature, after auditing said feature they found nothing and declared him a troll.

There was a talk given recently where a guy tested the BSDs for their security practices, OpenBSD came out on top due to publicly releasing advisories with patches.

No nvidia card support

Don't most popular Linux distros do the same exact thing?

The other BSDs dropped the ball.
Yes other distros have just as good advisories, CentOS can just piggy back of RHEL and Ubuntu has a good list but some are pretty strange, I can't find fedoras, their mailing lists and twitter ends at 2015.

Ah I see, it was a comparison of just the BSDs.

Fuck off you worthless nigger.

both use cuck license so both are shit

I think sane defaults are a great thing, but if I tried to learn a new OS, I'm probably looking how to setup everything in a sane way anyway. I know there's more to it than that, but my points were the most noticeable things that came to mind in regards to daily use.
One thing I didn't ask about were jails - maybe I should've. On some thread last week they argued if OpenBSDs usage of chroot is a good idea or not, but at the moment I do not have the right questions to ask. If you have more to say on that topic (or others), I'd love to hear.

Still looking for a scan of the installation instructions that were bundled with the OpenBSD CDs. The last ones seem to have been sold already and there apparently won't be any future ones.
I only have these to give back, but I suppose you can find them on libgen anyway:

Those are all very reasonable. I think I can see what you mean with the experience being "much smoother".
There's some reasoning for both. It's probably a small caveat one can learn to live with. Unless it shits up the system in other ways I don't really see yet.

It's this video he's talking about: youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY
Pretty interesting to watch, despite the faggotry that has seem to taken a hold in ccc conferences.
Gender toilets, rooms for drug use, leftist political talks, inviting journalists for attention, bad talks by trannies, political talks that imply that they are unbiased and well researched - they're not, etc

Maybe i'll install it on my laptop after i finish HAPing the management engine.

And these instructions don't exist anywhere on the internet but just in the physical CDs' jewel case?

Don't forget that CCC prohibits using soldering irons in the hackcenter, which is essentially a place with a bunch of tables where people work together on projects. Muh safety really ruins hackers conferences.

Useless margins trimmed off because fuck margins in ebooks. They are easy enough to add if you really need them (such as printing a hard copy, most printers will add some margins anyway no matter what you do) while generally not easy to get rid of (I wish that PDF readers would have a function which allows soft-cropping margins when viewing files, but sadly they do not).

THIS IS NOW A RUST THREAD

That's what I assumed reading the posts. The FAQ is too big to fit inside even multiple CD cases.
I tried to find some pdf scans, but as far as I can tell there are none.

I went forward and asked on their IRC channel
So unless it was only contained on older editions, there's probably not much more to it.

Credit where credit is due.

That's somewhat of a dissonance.

OpenBSD's security is not something that you need to setup or tune. It is built in the base system and in some packages as well. Don't think about security as containing "bad activities" within a chroot/jail/vm. Just take a look at this:
openbsd.org/innovations.html

Warning: people with no background in cs may understand little.

The browser can reach every file in the system by default.

gets me so fucking hard

This is it - going to install OpenBSD 6.2 today and play around with it.

Somewhat, yeah. I hope he posts again and tells us what exactly he meant. Maybe he meant an older version or something.

My knowledge on network protocols is rather limited, so I'm probably not taking away as much from it as I could - but I'm willing to learn. There's a lot there; Too much to skip through quickly, so I'm just saving it for later and understand as I go.

Everything worked out of the box except for bluetooth (as expected), xserver (no card at all in the configs, not even a generic driver - easy fix), SDMMC slot (didn't really look into it, as I basically never use it) and wlan (RT3290, no driver support and there's no hope of there being one, since everyone seems to use Thinkpads). I'm just going to order one of those tiny-sized usb wifi adapters that has a supported chipset and leave it in the laptop.
The wlan card also had some issues under linux when I set it up, iirc - so it's not that much of a problem.

All in all it really wasn't hard to get working. FreeBSD may still be a bit easier to install and seems to have the "better" ports system, but I need to take some time to really understand everything.
Also haven't set up PF yet, but from what I've read in the FreeBSD handbook before, it should actually be easier to do than for IPFW.

Are the automatically generated partitions (during the installation) really good as they are? There seemed to be way too many of them for my needs, so I just created
Which is already not very minimal, I guess.

man afterboot does help user, remember with OpenBSD using man is easier than using google.
OpenBSD creates that many partitions for security, only certain users have access to certain mounts etc.

The defaults are good, but there's a few things you can adjust.
Symlink /etc/malloc.conf -> S
If you don't mind lower performance, run wsfb X server and set machdep.allowaperture=0 in /etc/sysctl.conf. Better yet, avoid X entirely (but I still need it sometimes, unfortunately).
Don't run sshd or any other server if you don't need them (on a laptop you probably don't need them).
Your /etc/pf.conf should be as restrictive as possible. Don't allow any unexpected incoming traffic if you don't run servers. I don't even allow unlimited outbound traffic. Everything is whitelisted at the kernel/firewall level and only for a limited period of time. Some people do that with browser scripts, but I don't like that approach. Anyway there's no such scripts for Links and Lynx, and I don't like using the more bloated browsers.
Overall, OpenBSD has been the least trouble for me, but I still don't like any Unix or other modern OS or computer. It's just not fun for me like the good old 80's computers.

When was the last time you installed OpenBSD user? That setting has been default for at least three release if I'm not mistaken.

A long time. I normally use the upgrade option. I once did a new install and formatted the wrong partition by mistake. It was at work too, and I lost at least a few days worth of C networking code that I was trying to improve. Nobody ever found out about this little mistake, but I always remember it.

I just looked it up and I think the default changed in 5.6 or 5.7. I run current on my laptop since 5.9 so that was the last time I installed and it was default. If you are using intel or ati you can use the normal accelerated driver with this option. I have no idea about jewvidya though.

What is a layman explanation for what this does? It restricts memory access of applications that interface with X?

Always wondered what this is from. Just some random anime succubus or is it from something?

She looks a lot like Excel from Excel Saga - not too sure though.

She does kind of, but I don't think Excel had the demon wings.

man.openbsd.org/xf86.4

Thanks. I used apropos machdep and allowaperture but found nothing. Should've used apropos aperture then.
Still getting used to using the manpages more often than on Linux.
Which was basically never, --help tends to be enough of a hint there.

Could someone post a pf.conf, that is in use for a non-server, so I can look at what a "good" configuration is supposed to look like? I basically only generated a table for my other computers, that are allowed to ssh into the machine and a rule for the loopback interface. There aren't any other services up, so I kept everything else standard for now.

RUST THREAD PLS DISCUSS!

RUST THREAD PLS DISCUSS!

RUST THREAD PLS DISCUSS!

RUST THREAD PLS DISCUSS!

RUST THREAD PLS DISCUSS!

RUST THREAD PLS DISCUSS!

RUST THREAD PLS DISCUSS!

This is my laptop. It doesn't run sshd or other daemons on external interface. Table "ok" are the hosts (if any) I'm ok with talking to at any given moment.
block quick proto ipv6set skip on loblock log alltable persistgoogle_dns = "{ 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 }"pass out on egress inet proto { tcp, udp } from any to keep statepass out on egress inet proto { tcp, udp } from any to any port 53 keep stateblock out on egress inet proto { tcp, udp } from any to $google_dns port 53pass out on egress inet proto icmp all icmp-type echoreq keep state

set skip on lo
block return
pass
block return in on ! lo0 proto tcp to port 6000:6010
pass in proto tcp to localhost port 5433

>constraints from "google.com"
nigga please

There was commentary on the mailing about this at some point. I can't find it but basically it doesn't matter since they just needed a server to ping which they knew would always be up. It just to make sure your clock isn't horribly off due to a rouge ntp server. But surely you already understand this otherwise you wouldn't have commented right :^).
More info here marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=142356166731390&w=2

Define "the browser" and "reach."

Thanks, those are way shorter than what I've set up on FreeBSD ipfw. It was for a server though, but I feel it would still take more lines on ipfw - even with "keep-state" all over the place.
The ! expression is a really good thing - the tables and lists too and the ability to easily read filter stats and counters. It seems like they really thought about what they were trying to achieve before they wrote the thing. I would use it for the FreeBSD server too, but I've already tested what I've set up and from what I've heard their PF might even use a different syntax. The PF chapter in their handbook is before the IPFW chapter though, so take that as you will.
PF seems more easily approachable.

On another note: The FreeBSD handbook makes you feel comfortable a little faster, because its chapters are set up like they want to take you through the whole installation process and your following changes to the base system. There's also quite some questions to be answered by just using Google. The OpenBSD FAQ feels a lot more detailed in what it tries to teach you. Not verbose, but detailed. Under Linux I've never even had the idea to look up a .conf file or anything that isn't the parameters for a program in the manpages, honestly. So what is being said about BSD's (NetBSD I wouldn't know) documentation is probably true - at least for someone that is only administrating.

I would like to port an application, the homepage of which says it should compile under Unix-likes, to my OpenBSD machine. I'll start with following the porting guide. Is there anything else I should read before that or would you recommend not putting myself through that at all? I am willing to learn, but my C knowledge is basically nonexistent and I would think that I probably mainly have to solve dependency problems.

In the fear of having something unavailable when I need it, I archieved some ebooks over the times. I want to give something back to the thread, so if you want any of those I can upload it.

├── basically tech stuff
│ ├── OSs
│ │ ├── Absolute_FreeBSD-2nd-Edition-2008.pdf
│ │ ├── Absolute-OpenBSD-2nd-Edition-2013.pdf
│ │ ├── O'Reilly - BSD Hacks.pdf
│ │ ├── O'Reilly - Learning the UNIX Operating System.pdf
│ │ ├── O'Reilly - Running Linux 4th Edition.pdf
│ │ ├── O'Reilly - The Complete FreeBSD 4th Edition.pdf
│ │ ├── paranoid security guide (deleted on crunchbang forums)
│ │ ├── Slackware_Linux_Essentials.pdf
│ │ ├── The_Book_of_PF,_3rd_Edition-nomargins.pdf
│ │ └── The_Book_of_PF,_3rd_Edition.pdf
│ ├── misc
│ │ ├── Noam_Nisan,_Shimon_Schocken_The_Elements_of_Computing_Systems_Building_a_Modern_Computer_from_First_Principles.epub
│ │ ├── Noam_Nisan,_Shimon_Schocken_The_Elements_of_Computing_Systems_Building_a_Modern_Computer_from_First_Principles.pdf
│ │ ├── O'Reilly - Free as in Freedom.pdf
│ │ ├── O'Reilly - GNU Emacs Pocket Reference.pdf
│ │ ├── O'Reilly - Learning the Vi Editor 6th Edition.pdf
│ │ ├── O'Reilly - Physics for Game Developers.pdf
│ │ ├── O'Reilly - The Secure Shell The Definitive Guide.pdf
│ │ ├── Structure-and-Interpretation-of-Computer-Programs-2nd-Edition-MIT-Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science-.epub
│ │ └── Struktur-und-Interpretation-von-Computerprogrammen-Eine-Informatik-Einf-hrung.pdf
│ └── languages
│ ├── arduino (yeah, I know)
│ │ └── books
│ │ ├── arduino cookbook - oreilly.pdf
│ │ └── beginning arduino programming - evans.pdf
│ ├── assembly
│ │ ├── asm_problems.pdf
│ │ ├── book_assembly_8086
│ │ │ ├── 8086arch.md
│ │ │ ├── addressing.md
│ │ │ ├── addsubmul.md
│ │ │ ├── array.md
│ │ │ ├── assets
│ │ │ │ ├── 2520.png
│ │ │ │ ├── 2522.png
│ │ │ │ ├── 2523.png
│ │ │ │ ├── 2524.png
│ │ │ │ ├── 2525.png
│ │ │ │ ├── 2537.png
│ │ │ │ ├── array.gif
│ │ │ │ ├── cpu.gif
│ │ │ │ ├── emu003.zip
│ │ │ │ └── model.gif
│ │ │ ├── biosinterrupt.md
│ │ │ ├── book.json
│ │ │ ├── compare.md
│ │ │ ├── conditionaljump.md
│ │ │ ├── div.md
│ │ │ ├── functioncalling.md
│ │ │ ├── function.md
│ │ │ ├── gofurther.md
│ │ │ ├── howtoemu8086inc.md
│ │ │ ├── incdec.md
│ │ │ ├── introemu8086.md
│ │ │ ├── jump.md
│ │ │ ├── logicoperation.md
│ │ │ ├── macrofunc.md
│ │ │ ├── memoryreadwrite.md
│ │ │ ├── mov.md
│ │ │ ├── number.md
│ │ │ ├── pointer.md
│ │ │ ├── README.md
│ │ │ ├── repeat.md
│ │ │ ├── stack.md
│ │ │ ├── SUMMARY.md
│ │ │ ├── usemov.md
│ │ │ ├── variable.md
│ │ │ └── whyassembly.md
│ │ ├── books
│ │ │ ├── 8086_family_Users_Manual_1_.pdf
│ │ │ ├── changyi gu - building embedded systems.pdf
│ │ │ ├── foundation of digital electronics and logic design.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Francesco_P._Volpe - AVR_Mikrocontroller-Praxis.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Guide.to.Assembly.Language.A.Concise.Introduction,.James.T..Streib,.Springer,.2011.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Guide to Assembly Language Programming in Linux (Springer, 2005, 0387258973).pdf
│ │ │ ├── Introduction to 64 Bit Intel Assembly Language Programming for Linux (CreateSpace, 2011, 1466470038).pdf
│ │ │ ├── Kip_R._Irvine_-_Assembly_Language_for_X86_processors.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Manfred Schwabl-Schmidt-Systemprogrammierung für AVR-Mikrocontroller-Elektor (2009).djvu
│ │ │ ├── Mikrocontroller - Ttiny2313, ATtiny26, ATmega32 - Bernstein.epub
│ │ │ ├── Mikrocontroller - Ttiny2313, ATtiny26, ATmega32 - Bernstein.pdf
│ │ │ ├── mikroprozessortechnik mit 8051.pdf
│ │ │ ├── MIPS assembly language programming.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Modern x86 Assembly Language Programming.pdf
│ │ │ ├── patterson - computer organization and design.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Practical Reverse Engineering - wiley.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Principles of Computer Organization and Assembly using JVM - Juola.pdf
│ │ │ ├── professional assembly language - blum.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Secrets of Reverse Engineering - Eilam.pdf
│ │ │ ├── the art of assembly language.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Uwe_Brinkschulte,_Theo_Ungerer_auth._Mikrocontroller_und_Mikroprozessoren_.pdf
│ │ │ └── X86 Assembly Language and C Fundamentals - Cavanagh.pdf

│ ├── C
│ │ ├── books
│ │ │ ├── 21st century C - modern C - oreilly.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo-Accelerated Cpp_ Practical Programming by Example-Addison-Wesley Professional (2000).pdf
│ │ │ ├── Beginning Cpp Through Game Programming.pdf
│ │ │ ├── C als erste Programmiersprache - Goll (C90).pdf
│ │ │ ├── C for Dummies, 2nd Edition.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Competitive Programmer’s Handbook.pdf
│ │ │ ├── computer systems - bryant.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Cpp Data Structures.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Cpp für Ingenieure - nahrstedt.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Datenanalyse und Modellbildung - C und GNUPLOT - Birmelin.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Einführung in C (lern&arbeitsbuch) - doina logofatu.pdf
│ │ │ ├── EssentialC.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Exploring C for Microcontrollers - Parab.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Informatik für Ingenieure und Naturwissenschaftler 1 in C - küveler.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Informatik für Ingenieure und Naturwissenschaftler - C und Java - Rießinger.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Michael Dawson Beginning Cpp Through Game Programming.pdf
│ │ │ ├── mikroprozessortechnik mit 8051.pdf
│ │ │ ├── OOC with ANSI-C.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Programmieren in C - klima, selberherr.pdf
│ │ │ ├── rooks-guide-to-Cpp.pdf
│ │ │ ├── SDL game development - mitchell.pdf
│ │ │ ├── SDL Game Development.pdf
│ │ │ ├── techn probleme lösen mit c
│ │ │ │ ├── 01.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 02 - Systematik der Problemlösung.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 03 - Erste Gehversuche.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 04 - Entwicklungsumgebung.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 05 - Grundlegende Sprach- und Steuerungselemente.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 06 - Strukturierte Programmierung.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 07 - lösung einfacher probleme.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 08 - OOP.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 09 - Lösung fortgeschrittener Probleme.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 10 - Lösung komplexer Probleme.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 11 - Tabellen.pdf
│ │ │ │ ├── 12 - Literatur.pdf
│ │ │ │ └── 13 - Index.pdf
│ │ │ ├── the C programming language - ritchie, kernighan.epub
│ │ │ ├── the C programming language - ritchie, kernighan.pdf
│ │ │ ├── The Hitchhiker’s Guide to competitive prog.pdf
│ │ │ └── the practice of programming - pike.pdf
│ │ ├── Guido_Krüger_Go_to_C-Programmierung.pdf
│ │ ├── Moderne C-Programmierung - Schellong.pdf
│ ├── elixir
│ │ └── books
│ │ ├── elixir in action - juric.pdf
│ │ ├── introducing elixir - oreilly.pdf
│ │ ├── learning elixir - ballou.pdf
│ │ └── little elixir&otp guidebook - tan wei hao.pdf
│ ├── go
│ │ ├── books
│ │ │ ├── Caleb_Doxsey_An_Introduction_to_Programming_in_Go.pdf
│ │ │ ├── Caleb_Doxsey_Introducing_Go_Build_Reliable,_Scalable_Programs.epub
│ │ │ ├── go in action - kennedy.pdf
│ │ │ ├── go programming language - kernighan.epub
│ │ │ ├── John_P._Baugh_Go_Programming.pdf
│ │ │ ├── The_Way_To_Go.epub
│ │ │ └── The_Way_To_Go - ivo balbaert.pdf
│ ├── haskell
│ │ └── books
│ │ ├── Beginning Haskell - A Project-Based Approach.pdf
│ │ ├── Haskell-Intensivkurs - Block, Neumann.pdf
│ │ ├── haskell programming - allen, moronuki.pdf
│ │ ├── intro to func programming with lambda calculus - michaels.pdf
│ │ ├── Real World Haskell - OSullivan, Goerzen, Stewart.pdf
│ │ └── thinking functionally with haskell - bird.pdf
│ ├── HTML
│ │ └── O'Reilly - HTML Pocket Reference 2nd Edition.pdf
│ ├── java
│ │ ├── books
│ │ │ ├── datastructures in java - wiley.pdf
│ │ │ ├── effective java - bloch.pdf
│ │ │ └── Head First Java- oreilly.pdf
│ ├── lua
│ │ └── books
│ │ └── programming lua.pdf

│ ├── OCaml
│ │ └── books
│ │ ├── ocaml for scientists - harrop.pdf
│ │ ├── OCaml from the Very Beginning - whitington.epub
│ │ └── real world ocaml - oreilly.pdf
│ ├── python
│ │ └── books
│ │ ├── Addison-Wesley Learn Python the Hard Way.pdf
│ │ ├── automate boring stuff with python - sweigart.pdf
│ │ ├── Beginning Game Development with Python and Pygame - From Novice to Professional (2007).pdf
│ │ ├── data science from scratch - oreilly.pdf
│ │ ├── data structures and algorithms in python.pdf
│ │ ├── fluent python - oreilly.pdf
│ │ ├── Introduction to Computation and Programming - guttag.pdf
│ │ ├── learning python - oreilly.pdf
│ │ ├── learn python the hard way - shaw.pdf
│ │ ├── Python 3 - Intensivkurs - Pilgrim.pdf
│ │ ├── python for unix and sys admin - oreilly.pdf
│ │ ├── Python Programming for Arduino - desai.pdf
│ │ ├── python programming - introduction to computer sci - zelle.pdf
│ │ ├── quick python book - ceder et al.pdf
│ │ ├── think bayes - oreilly.pdf
│ │ └── think python - think like a comp sci - downey.pdf
│ └── rust
│ ├── books
│ │ └── rust essentials.pdf
├── languages
│ ├── chinese
││ │ ├── Assimil - Chinese With Ease 2005 (also have the audio if you really can't find it online)
│ │ │ ├── Assimil Chinese With Ease Vol 1 (2005).pdf
│ │ │ ├── Assimil Chinese With Ease Vol 2 (2005).pdf
│ │ │ ├── Assimil Writing Chinese With Ease.pdf
││ └── jap
│ ├── books
│ │ ├── genki
│ │ │ ├── Genki I (user edit).pdf
│ │ │ ├── Genki I - Integrated Elementary Japanese Course (with bookmarks).pdf
│ │ │ └── Genki I - Workbook - Elementary Japanese Course (with bookmarks).pdf
│ │ └── manga
│ │ ├── common_ero_jap_words.txt
│ │ ├── mangakasan to assistantsan to
│ │ │ ├── Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to v01-03
│ │ │ ├── Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to v04-03.rar
│ │ │ │ ├── Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to v10 (all .jpg)
│ │ │ └── Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to v09-10.rar
│ │ └── yotsubato
│ │ ├── reading pack
│ │ │ ├── Yotsubato Volume 1 Reading Pack
│ │ │ └── Yotsubato Volume 2 Reading Pack
│ │ └── Yotsubato! v01-12 (.jpeg)

your best python 3 and haskell book thx

What is best? From your writing I can tell you've probably never actually posted in this thread. You probably want something that is nicely formatted and concise

anyone have "Computer Organization and Design RISC-V Edition" ?

appreciate it many xos to u cumpai

books.google.com/books?id=H7wxDQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
Seems to have most of it.

my.mixtape.moe/sxbwfs.pdf

No it doesn't

Thanks bro

Make torrent and upload it...the torrent will live forever.

Most of that looks like its in the gentooman library(check the sticky).

Ignore this I thought it was in the sticky.
g.sicp.me/books/

I'm going to install to BSD this weekend, but I'm confused which should I install - free, open, or net. I heard freeBSD is cucked with soy COC therefore I've to choose between open and net.

I think the thread should give a good idea about the differences at this point. Apart from the CoC nonsense, FreeBSD is still a good system and may actually be the most beginnerfriendly.
t. beginner

try Dragonfly BSD.

What did you end up installing, user? Are you happy with your choice? What was the setup like, compared what you've read in the thread?

Care to torrent all of this?

Not really, no - sorry. But I will try to upload what you need, provided that you
install a BSD

I ended up installing Dragonfly BSD suggested by user in VMware of course. The installation process is pretty simple and beginner friendly(graphical). It took me about 30-35 minutes top to install and setup everything including Xorg and Xfce with few a basic tools. There's this dragonflybsd.org/docs/supportedhardware/ documentation which I think is pretty neat. I'm still getting used to pkg and rc.conf to make my setup more comfy. I'll stick to VMware for a couple of days to get hang of it, then I'll install on my primary machine.

Please dump OSs, assembly, and jap folder.

mega.nz/#!1sgkhbzT!sfGddfbOg2Vjuh_E1BG8l2yM_rL0RcLB5YBp8blYZ2I
mega.nz/#!xgJDkQgZ!RJ2j7x4s0xCL7tFxdtJQSYFMv5SVHvOHgIOXWInP-dU
Will take longer because I have pitiful bandwidth. Post uname -os

So, you are the BSD police now?
Never mind, here you go.

And thanks for the dump. I hope you'll dump jap along with python and go folder as well.

No, but even though the thread was about OpenBSD and FreeBSD initially, I'd be interested in knowing why you chose NetBSD specifically and what the important differences in usage are in your experience.
mega.nz/#!BlZSSRiS!Ww3VgUHiyY7BsHL3_SaBZu8mBeW56PqY26W80J4p-kQ

mega.nz/#!19xgFRxY!pinn6TTgaZvnnMg13UMcFFMj2pTGvA5sXznzPM8otYk

It's much smaller, cleaner and more portable than OpenBSD, given that I've installed in my old machine. Also, I don't prefer unnecessary packages and daemons taking up my space and ram. IMO, the base system is pretty neat and includes only the main parts of the system and is very minimal and comfy.

And thanks for the dump.

Is this a somewhat accurate representation? I'm thinking of including it if I create any subsequent threads on the various BSDs. Obviously this is missing almost any information on NetBSD, which wasn't mentioned all that much in this thread.

FreeBSD
Installation: easy, curses interface
Documentation: handbook takes you step by step, manpages for the rest
Filesystems: ZFS, UFS
Ports: very easy, customizable builds through curses menu
Packages: lots
Hardware:
Full disk encryption: through ZFS
Ease of configuration: medium?
Standard compiler: clang
Firewall: IPFW, PF (customized OpenBSD version)
Stand out features: ZFS features, Linux binary compatible through syscalls
Down/upsides: ZFS requires some resources, beginner friendly, cares about BSD licenses in default
Release cycle: yearly production release (stable branch support ~5 years)

OpenBSD
Installation: medium, text-only interface, partitioning by hand
Documentation: manpages are the manual, FAQ is like a very detailed handbook
Filesystems: FFS
Ports: easy, no customization
Packages: about 5000, some old
Hardware: no bluetooth
Full disk encryption: yes
Ease of configuration: .conf files documented in manpages
Standard compiler: comes with gcc
Firewall: PF
Stand out features: security is governing consideration for everything, good defaults, good Thinkpad support
Down/upsides: no binary blobs in default, doesn't care about backwards compatibility, less good features just get canned
Release cycle: release shipped every 6 months (support ~12 months)

NetBSD
Installation: curses interface
Documentation: guide takes you step by step
Filesystems:
Ports:
Packages:
Hardware: BSD of choice for older platforms
Full disk encryption:
Ease of configuration:
Firewall:
Stand out features: slim and minimal, support for older platforms
Down/upsides:
Release cycle:

OpenBSD uses Clang now by default on amd64.
FreeBSD has Jails and bhyve and OpenBSD has vmm.

OpenBSD
No nvidia

NetBSD
Packages, pkgsrc, around 17,000
Stand out: kernel can be scripted with lua

Good point, completely forgot virtualization.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/8.0_current/All/
I didn't count, but that indeed looks like a lot. Does every package need a maintainer or are they usually old?

I never had a problem with the stuff being to old or broken in pkgsrc. I use it on NetBSD and OSX. You can actually install it on Linux or any other *nix. It is made to be platform independent.

pkgsrc.org/
a good front end to check out the packages
pkgsrc.se/

NetBSD
Installation: curses interface, partitioning by hand
Documentation: guide takes you step by step (very similiar to FreeBSD handbook)
Filesystems: FFS
Ports: (in NetBSD lingo a port is a supported architecture)
Packages: lots (over platform independent pkgsrc)
Hardware: BSD of choice for older platforms
Full disk encryption: not a mature feature, somewhat possible with cgdroot kernel module
Ease of configuration:
Firewall: PF (customized OpenBSD version)
Stand out features: lean and minimal, support for older platforms, kernel lua scriptable, portability, standards conformance is project goal
Down/upsides: Linux binary emulation, legacy code, easy to get involved via wiki projects, support for ARM boards
Release cycle: 2-3 years