Git for my music folder

Is it possible?

OKay, so I have a ton of music (I use soulseek a lot). My collection is expanding everyday and I'd like to keep track of when I added something for the first time, and its subsequent positions.

I don't want a HUGE git repo, I don't even want a backup. I just want a log of my files.
Is it possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

beets.io/
beets.readthedocs.io/en/v1.3.17/reference/query.html#date-and-date-range-queries
catb.org/esr/src/
git-annex.branchable.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't see why not, althoug i'm not proficient in using git. just cloning source code.
deplorable

Hijacking this thread for a similar question:

Is there something like this, but then for text files? I tend to write something big, then delete something out of it, and later regretting that I removed it.

beets:
beets.io/
here's the functionality you want:
beets.readthedocs.io/en/v1.3.17/reference/query.html#date-and-date-range-queries

SRC, a single file local version control system. I use for my configuration files.
catb.org/esr/src/

QuodLibet tells you the date you added every single song. It's a terrible player but I'm sure there are more like it.
what does it means?

that's literally what git does

git-annex.branchable.com/
Use the sticky next time.

He has a problem he wants to solve. He doesn't want to have two problems he was has to solve.

add file names to .txt file
add .txt file to git
write a cron task to monitor the folder and update file + reupload to git if anything gets added

Not all of us are retards. i bet you use windows, no probably not that would be be too hard and be a "problem" i bet you use iOS, you're one of those 'what's a computer.' types.

I can certainly see that your imagination require a very high IQ.

Semi related, but should I give soulseek a shot? It looks pretty nifty, but I am not sure how secure it is. What are people's general experiences with it?

Superficially, it's a lot like eMule or that other shitty, proprietary p2p thing the guy who made Tixati wrote. Soulseek itself is proprietary, and I've never found any commentary about its being secure in either a positive or negative light. There's a free implementation that uses the same network, Nicotine+ (an added bonus is that it uses GTK), but I found that it was pretty unstable.

This is like watching two petty, illiterate retards argue over a totally innocuous thing that no healthy person would take pride in--oh, wait!

just use spotify faggit :^⁾

This. You can also automatically format the file so it looks like
* Gay + Nigger - Faggot
instead of
Gay/Nigger/Faggot.mp3.flac
You can identify each file by its hash if you plan on changing file names or have names like "Track 1", and you may use links instead of a text file although I'm not sure how that works if you clone the repo.

Nicotine+ works for me.

Yeah, I think I was thinking of something else when I mentioned Nicotine+. It's relatively stable; the issue moreso is that Nicotine+ lacks a lot of features slsk offers.

In Windows I can organize files in a folder in ascending/descending order of creation or modification. Regardless of whether or not you modify tag data, shouldn't your directory structure allow you to sort by folder? Or are you a nigger who downloads individual mp3s into a huge fucking mess, then organizes them later?

I'm just not sure I'm understanding the problem, here.

wow racists like you are why codes of conduct exist

useless reply

literally git

I want something like git, not something that tries to "anage" my music

I use audacious, though. Quodlibet looks like shit
The new location of the file, if moved.

Wow thanks

I installed this before I made this thread but I don't get how this thing works. I can't use git log on it, it just shows the initial commit. It made this HUGE 37GB folder inside [directory]/.git/annex and I freaked out and deleted the .git folder and purged this thing.

choose one

that's great, but I don't want to depend on tree

Yes, you can find super-obscure music on it. Just leave it running 24/7 until someone shows up and download it before he logs off
I don't think it's very secure. It'ss like ftp

;^)

Are you looking for something like gmedia? I don't think git is the best thing to use for something like this

nope

using a version control system to manage your music is pretty stupid

thanks for the non-reply I guess

Gno

I'm sorry not everyone in the world has your sensibilities. Can I make an amendment?

Theres a free implementation that uses the same network, Nicotine+ (a feasible bonus for certain people could be that it uses GTK), but I found it was pretty unstable.

Happy?

At this point I'd go as far as saying that GTK is that much of a trainwreck that an application being made with it is never a good thing. Though I wonder, how did I get you to write such a salty reply?

Sorry.

Why is GTK a trainwreck?

Nah it's fine, I merely wondered why what can be considered a shitpost hit you this hard, must be something bad going on in your life. I guess in that sense I might be the one who's supposed to hand out an apology here.

For example, Qt follows some standards which GTK does not, even though those standards were initially set by GTK. The GNOME/GTK devs are generally pretty bad, especially given the mildly-recent Wayland CSD lie. As for >le epic ricing, Qt allows for more customization, and finally, the file picker meme.

I wasn't angry. It was a completely neutral post, and you interpreted its tone as that. You're implying that I was transferring my frustrations onto; the irony is that your posts are a more of a reflection of that than mine.

Your initial reply sounded very passive-aggressive, leading me to the belief I expressed before. The simple followup
really sealed the deal for me. And you're right, I came here to do what I often caught myself doing, vent my frustrations by creating a flame war, such shit-flinging levels of discussion are usually rather fun. As soon as I saw you appear extraordinarily annoyed by my shit, I went into damage control, after all I don't intend to drag down others by making them put up with me being stupid when they're clearly not feeling up to it. You got me good.

Biggest meme, shit technology, only used because music cliches too brainlet to maintain torrents.

Yes, use bash scripts with cron.

It's okay. I was at fault, too, for writing those posts not thinking about the sentiment they might telegraph. It happens to the best of us. Not that the best of us are very good to begin with.

I agree with the IRC part--I'm not sure why that even exists. I don't even know who uses it, although I think small correspondence is useful for friends and locked files.
I don't like the fact that slsk is proprietary, but here's where I know you haven't used slsk, though. BitTorrent is a protocol that was developed for low-bandwidth situations for large binaries. In a modern context, for the requirements of a few music files that might coincide to make a full record, BitTorrent is excessive and redundant for everything but the biggest lossless files. The only reason BitTorrent is relevant at all as a medium for music sharing is for historical reasons. It's just cumbersome to use a tracker when the typical use case for p2p and music among these communities is downloading music on a record to record basis.

When you use BitTorrent and trackers, you run into issues like inconsistent metadata. This issue is solved in either one of two ways: you have some federated, autistic entity like Cabal or Cartel where the entry-threshold is high and the quality for tagging and distribution is (reasonably) stringent at the expense of things like the pantsu situation where reasonable people are alienated for arbitrary reasons, where the tradeoff is a duplicity of the same records all with slightly different tags; and the second solution is that you as an end user do things like symlink mistagged albums and then sort and identify your media by strictly filesystem hierarchy rather than metadata which is inefficient and forsakes much of the advantages that tags offer in terms of orginization.

Things like slsk--or, more aptly, Kademlia--in this context, is a lot more resilient because it embraces duplicity. You share files on a person to person basis, and you don't need a tracker to facilitate or ensure its existence; e.g. if it's not there, you'll never see it.

Wow, what a lot of empty accusations. And you couldn't even be arsed to cite some evidence. Who are you trying to persuade?

Bump

You've literally already gotten several solutions. What more could you possibly gain from this thread besides shitposting?

none of them work
A real solution

It's 5, you don't know shit

exactly, CoCs exist because someone said the N-word on the internet and some newfag saw it and got triggered. no reason more

git-annex is exactly what you're looking for. Put some more effort into using it. Read the manual, look up a tutorial, whatever.