He thought javascript will go away

enjoy your future
imrannazar.com/GameBoy-Emulation-in-JavaScript

mind = blown

And what's wrong with modern JavaScript, honestly?

A lot. There's only so much you can do if you're restricted by compatibility.

It's so overused that I can't browse the web for 2 seconds without getting assaulted if I have JS enabled.

>>>/g/

Not that there's anything wrong with javascript.

The web is dying. The future is in the hands of usenet, gopher, and BBS.

because you visit shit sites
I don't have that problem tbqh

You can code almost entirely in platform-agnostic JavaScript.

That has nothing to do with core JavaScript as a programming language,

Backward compatibility with old javascript standards.

Monolanguage is the future. Why would you even want to use different languages on the front and back end, when you have the option to use the same language for your entire stack? Until one of you sperglords writes a browser entirely in HolyC we're gonna be using JS for a long time so you might as well embrace it.

when will it replace java and c#?

thing is its trash so its self defeating
you are going to write in something more robust in any situation once foundations crumble

but if we are going to use one lang for everything, why choosing the most niggered shit language in JavaScript?

what happened to this place?

Now that is some wishful thinking from a battered programmer.

JavaScript's ONLY problem is its shitty type system. Prove me wrong.

Nice quote, but it doesn't change the fact that even "modern" Javascript does this:js> var n = [9, 4, 20, 50]; js> n.sort() [20, 4, 50, 9]

brainlet pajeet can't even use javascript correctly, wow.

I can use Javascript correctly, but it takes extra effort and memorization because it's a bad language. A good language does sensible things by default. A language that does bullshit by default is a bad language.
I'm able to point out this failure of language design because I can use Javascript correctly. If I didn't know the default behavior was broken I wouldn't be able to use Javascript correctly.

Pick one

You're clueless if you think JS is the only language that lets you use a comparing function when sorting. Arrays aren't all the same type and it's also loosely typed, so obviously the language has to cater to sorting numbers, objects, strings, etc. all at the same time. Again, just RTFM faggot.

Any high level language is trash for anything real tbh. If you want to write a script for your personal computer go ahead anything above that C or maybe c++ if you are a queer.

everytime

Javascript is a unusual in working without a comparison function but requiring one for sorting numbers.
If a comparison function is mandatory there are no surprises. If the default comparison function is sensible there are no surprises. But if there's a default comparison function and it's not sensible then you have a problem.
It's true that it's a consequence of weak dynamic typing. I think that means weak dynamic typing is bad.

If you go into a dark room and say "C is the only real language" 3 times into a mirror, you suddenly become a programmer who actually makes things and doesn't spend all day trying to fit in on Holla Forums.

JavaScript is a typical product of the UNIX culture.

The following was brought to my attention by VP.Try using bc to calculate the value of 163/ln(163)Here's a Sun4: titanic:~[13] bc -l 163/l(163) 32.0-75570-60420-20649243140-49Here's a DecStation: hindenburg:~[1] bc -l 163/l(163) 32.0-85189980504841560572

And I hacked the renderer code to throw cpp the proper"-DFRAME=%05d" to spit out numbers the way I wantedthem. Why did I want the leading zeros? I don't know, I justthought it was cleaner.So I fired up the animation and let it run for a while(days).Well, the output was quite amusing (or at least it wouldhave been if I didn't need the results for my thesis defensea week later). The object would go down for a few frames,then jump up and go down a little, then go back to where itmaybe should have been, then jump up....After a little headscratching, I realized that the leadingzeros in my frame numbers were causing cpp to treat them asoctal values. How precious.But still, if I say "#define FRAME 00009" then "#ifFRAME==00009" should still fire (or it should at least whineat me). Well, 00009==00009 does trigger, but so does00009==00011.Huh? Well, some C library thinks that the nine in 00009 isn'toctal, so it interprets it as 9 decimal. And 00011 is a fineoctal rep of 9 decimal. So, both "#if FRAME==00009" and"#if FRAME==00011" fired and I applied two translate callsto my object geometry. And(!), it's not that having adecimal digit makes the whole number decimal. The string00019 gets interpreted as 00010 octal plus 9 decimal = 17decimal. Lovely, not.

This is like those retards that complain about the isNaN function. NaN is a type. isNaN tells you if something is NaN or not. A string is not NaN. This shit is well documented, god damn. If you curry niggers actually spent 5 minutes reading the actual specs and docs instead of begging on stackoverflow you might actually be able to get something done.

Fuck this guy too just use normal numbers jesus fucking christ.

Statically typed UNIX weenie languages (C, C++, Java, Go) make static typing look bad too.

I'm not surprised that the weenies who defend JavaScript mistakes also defend C mistakes, since most of these mistakes came from C and C culture in the first place.

I've been confusing my compiler class with this one for a while now. I pull it out any time someone counters my claim that C has no block structure. They're usually under the delusion that {decl stmt} introduces a block with its own local storage, probably because it looks like it does , and because they are C programmers who use lots of globals and wouldn't know what to do with block structure even if they really had it. But because you can jump into the middle of a block, the compiler is forced to allocate all storage on entry to a procedure, not entry to a block. Hey, bud, whadduh mean we dont got no block structure?Of -course- we got block structure. In fact, we got so muchblock structure that at least one C compiler I know ofallocates the storage for a block when you enter the block,just like you might expect. You jump, you lose. I asked themabout this. "Gosh, wow, why would you want to do that?" On a kinder note (sorry), it really does seem to be truethat most modern C compilers (read: ones that don't think"flow analysis" is something you do to the drains afteryou've peeled too many veggies into your kitchen sink) will(yow!) -actually detect- which blocks can't be jumped intothe middle of, and block-allocate storage whenever they canlegally do so.

00009 is not, in any way, shape, or form a valid and correct decimal number. It is, at best, a STRING representation of a number. This retard is complaining about the language not correctly interpreting his random-ass snowflake "numbers" when he could have just not been an idiot and has each FRAME be something sensible, like a god damn int. He thinks 00009 "looks" better? If he's looking at it somewhere he should have made it an actual string and printed it the fuck out, not tried to use it in expressions.

You're so fucking retarded. Brendan Eich is a LISPer and that's why Javascript is so lisp-y. You wank off over the history of DEC and VAX (both of which SUCK DONKEY BALLS) whilst everyone else gets work done with simple tools.

Wow, great post!

Wow, great post!

What the fuck? It's a prefectly acceptable, if wasteful, way to write down the number 9. In actual mathematical notation, leading zeroes are not significant and are completely ignored. A human reading 00009 will parse and evaluate the number as 9, wondering why the zeroes are even there since they don't change the result.

At least hexadecimal notation uses an actual character in its "0x" prefix; it's impossible to mistake it for a regular number. Recent languages even added a binary notation in the same form: "0b010101". Why wasnt octal designed the same? Why aren't octal numbers written as "0o1234567"? Using a leading zero is just moronic and inconsistent.

No, it isn't. There isn't a single person on the fucking planet who wouldn't call you a moron ig you did this.

Aside from being woefully inefficient and terribly slow, nothing at all.

JavaScript is from UNIX and C culture. It has C style control structures and syntax. It has names like "grep" from UNIX. It has that 00011 means 9 bullshit.

I think they have a reputation for SUCKING DONKEY BALLS because they ran UNIX like BSD and Ultrix. DEC was known for quality hardware and OSes before they went into the UNIX business.

It's an indication of the low standards of UNIX programs. If a calculator fails at such basic math, why is it even on the computer in the first place?

Static typing and dynamic typing are good, but not every kind of static or dynamic typing is good.

Hey, bud, whadduh mean we dont got no block structure?Of -course- we got block structure. In fact, we got so muchblock structure that at least one C compiler I know ofallocates the storage for a block when you enter the block,just like you might expect. You jump, you lose. I asked themabout this. "Gosh, wow, why would you want to do that?"

Horrible semantics, disgusting edge cases when it comes to implicit type conversions.

>(((progress)))

So you're just dense, got it.

They were popular - if they weren't shit people wouldn't have switched to UNIX.

What? You mean "00011" divided into "0001 1", then reversing the bits in each group resulting in "1000 1", then adding the two groups to arrive at "1001"? what sense does that make?

It’s hell, the platforms all have different bugs, it’ll never be finished, it’s wasteful, and it sucks.

Retard.

NaN is not a type. It's a floating point number in a special state that makes results of any computations with it return NaNs. NaN is equal to nothing, not even itself. So, besides using the X != X trick, you need isNaN function to tell if a number is NaN.

011 is octal for 9₁₀.

What purposes does it still have to be used?

There is not a single representation of NaN (every floating point number which has all exponent bits set but at least one mantissa bit zeroed represents NaN), so it'd be hard to expect using operators like == or != with them to make sense.

Legacy code and to fuck with autists.

NaN is defined not to be equal to anything. Its binary representation does not matter.

Just in case it wasn't clear: x == x resolves to false if x is NaN.

JavaScript comes from UNIX culture, not Lisp culture, Microsoft culture, Apple culture, IBM culture, or DEC culture. It was influenced by Lisp, but it's closer to UNIX languages like awk and Perl.

You're missing the bigger picture. There are two kinds of behaviors that create the majority of posts here.

You've got the contrarians that look for the opinion of the month to regurgitate, and then you have the contrarians that realize they're agreeing with other people and so find a new opposing opinion to regurgitate. The virality of that opinion decides if the former group will adopt it and start the cycle over again.

It's disturbing how true this is. I just hate it when I give an amiable, sincere post and this happens. I mean, if you're going to contradict me, at least pretend like you took the time to read the thread--or even just the one post. Sometimes, I feel like it happens just out of sheer illiteracy--yet somehow either too lazy or too vain to just look up the word definition.

I don't understand how everyone can say unironically that this site is better than 4chan. Maybe you don't have the captcha, but that doesn't make the conversation any better, and the conversation on here is basically braindead highschool locker room talk. They're all taking pride in Holla Forums-tier conversations when even /g/ looks down on Holla Forums. Sure, maybe you can say this or that about hugboxes and SJW's and whatever; there's nothing wrong with a little flaming--if you put up a stimulating discussion, but just because there's nothing inherently wrong with being contrarian doesn't make a contrarian retard any less of a retard. But where to go?

Sadly, you're best skimming every community and only interacting with a small group of people worth talking to.

The majority of people in most large communities are worthless when it comes to topics that take a combination of critical thinking and commitment to continual improvement. Most will be stuck as beginners because they can't/won't commit to the same train of thought for multiple days/weeks/months. The rest will get stuck at some arbitrary level/skillset because they've decided it's better to be good at what they can already do than bad at some new endeavor.

Your mistake is thinking all boards are as bad as Holla Forums, which is full of actual pajeets are retards that are too stupid to dodge cuckchan bans. If every board was as bad as Holla Forums I'd have moved on pronto.

not surprised

Holla Forums is pretty fucking shit, but you are delusional if you think this is any worse than /g/. We do not have (or at least, didn't use to have before the recent influx of halfchan imbeciles) shitty smartphone threads, shitty wallpaper circlejerks where people only post screenshots and no rice recipes, shitty "r8 my build" threads, shitty leg shaving threads, shitty CPU/GPU vendor wars threads, shitty battlestation threads...

Technology boards in Futaba-style imageboards are dead. It's like browsing a place as pedantic and elitist as SlashDot, but everyone talks entirely out of their asses. Imageboards in general are on life support anyway, with most people attempting to provide anything of value for the community getting drowned in drama from fellow users who do not like to see anyone succeeding. Nobody no longers produce OC because it is frowned upon, because at some point in time we adopted a culture of lazyness that encourages bringing down those who are onto something with claims of not your personal army (you think Habbo raids would have been possible today? No, it is obviously a personal army request, not a way to have fun with fellow shitposters), baseless destructive criticism for the sake of acting like a tough guy and general assorted drama.

Wrong. I'm not sure why you believe this. There are plenty OC as screenshots posted to this board everyday. I even posted a picture of a simple LED card for Valentine's Day I made yesterday.

You're right. I totally forgot how big my filter was when posting on /g/. It literally filtered an average of 100 posts per board. Kind of ridiculous. 8ch is formulaic and repetitive, but I will admit that a filter that nixes redundant threads would be less effective here. What would be really nice, though, is an image filter for reaction images.

You did?

Is there a chance the soy bullshit will actually go away? Or is the 90s/00s-born generation hopelessly lost and will irreparably drag technology down with them?