Civilization decay

I've been thinking about the more simplistic signs of a decaying civilization and figured this would make for a good thread. A compilation of comparisons as to how "decay" itself has evolved over time.

To start off, is living out of a car considered the modern equivalent of living in a barrel?
Is Patreon the evolved form of "a simple beggar"?
..etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/za8SMmW2tcA?t=17m23s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hi Sam.

Not Sam, but yes his mentioning of living in a car has contributed to my thoughts on this topic.

Does he really live in his car? Have we accidentally memed Sam into becoming diogenes?

We've seen shitposting compared to Romans and Greeks shiposting in real life.

In antiquity there was a plant called Silphium, so valuable that they put it on the sides of coins. It apparently worked as a contraceptive, that is, until it went extinct and people had to take sex seriously again for about 1900 years.

Signs a civilisation is soon to shift drastically, or collapse:

Yes and yes. A worn out trailer house or travel trailer can also count as a barrel.

Really, the Fate of Empires should have opened the thread.

Did, yes:
youtu.be/za8SMmW2tcA?t=17m23s
Think about that for a second, as well as the cancellation of their show…then read this:

Very good points. Also I think some of these are possibly a direct result of one another.
For example, at which point was military politicized in comparison to women having positions of power?

There's that whole dialogue about weak men vs strong men and how they produce one another, but what about the point at which a man decides to change the mold of his society so that even the strongest of man is beneath that of a woman who has been artificially granted power that would otherwise not be given to them?

This is what I think led to men walking away from marriages. They allowed someone to change the rules of the game, corrupting it and leading them to mistakenly play the weak hand instead of the strong hand.

That would have made a good thread opener yes. I gravitated towards the barrel just for a chance to post that brilliant piece of art.

Its the civilization conundrum. We're drawn towards primtivism and civilization. We want to run in the fields, chasing down our meal but we also want roof over our heads and the security urbanization and society provides. As the armies spread outward, the men left behind in the heart of the empires turned away from martial prowess to that of Venusian mastery. That of art, culture, language, debate, science, philosophy.

Once we reach that point of the heartland going "soft" things change. Society is always catered for women. Its the golden ticket. No more struggle for survival, no more worrying. Now she can live a life of comfort and splendor, even if she is poor it beats outside the walls. Male competition is now about proving their worth as a provider first, protector second whereas perhaps in the early days of civilization, its protector first, provider second.

I know this is not the "simplistic signs" you were asking for but I dump them anyway. I haven't seen them posted for some time.

I was thinking of living in a van. It would cut my cost of living a lot so I could work less.

Was communism an attempted co-opt of the 4th fall?

I think there is something psychological with men that makes them not want to compete with women. It's not like the feminists think, that they are afraid of "a strong independent woman." It's more that they subconsciously know that anything a woman can do probably is not worth doing. A man is meant to do what a woman cannot in society. Except for a small number of things, like motherhood, a man can do everything a woman can and then a lot more. So to have a skrt of effective division of labor, men probably naturally are disinclined to do anything that a woman is doing, because subconsciously he knows he can do more that she cannot. So if he is working with women he will not feel like it is worth putting his whole effort into it.

So when women enter a specific workplace they lower the level of it significantly imo.

Going off a tangent to your stuff.
Been reading the Red Book a lot and want to dispense a view held within.

European culture has made its leaps and bounds because the pagan spirit is very good at making life easy. It's a summer oriented thing that dances for pleasure as much as for god.
But it had its back broken by christianity. What was a blind pleasure made itself suffer. This led it to greater heights, but it made the world cold and hostile. If one danced it must be for god.
Between the two lies the answer. If one sacrifices the outside he obtains inward pleasure, and vice versa. Rather one should sacrifice themselves than either, and all things become much simpler.

Hard men sacrifice their inward self for public benefit. Soft men sacrifice their public for inward benefit. We need Christ and his ancient pagan counterparts to function, as we need to suffer both sides before we can know true goodness.

I'm rambling, trying to make coherent to myself these strange new ideas. I guess it can be summed up as one must suffer all extremes before one finds the happy medium of a proper set of priorities.

The secular side of Buddha's tale comes to mind. Many great men of the past lived in 'squalor' at one point, Khamehameha, Augustus Caesar, Napoleon. They knew what lies outside of order.
Many of us here would be considered the most degenerate of all in the days of olde Holla Forums. From that we learned our own depths, and felt the warmth of a distant sun. Some poor bastards crawled to it to the point it burned them, and only then opened their eyes as we have. Kek is this swallowing darkness, it is the obscurity and the confusion of our collective experience, it smothers all false lights as we know what is wrong with the world around us. Our sun, our red hot distant sun, its a bloody glimmer of a coming dawn.

We've been in hell for a generation, let us finally reach for the heavens.
/rant
I should get some sleep, and food, and nyquil. Reverse that.

So does this mean that the anglo countries, as per the Fate of Empires, are destined to end up installing something such as universal income? And if so, is the installation of a leader such as Trump the final nail in that coffin? It won't take long for people to realize that while he's brought some jobs back to his nation, there's still a far larger problem at stake.

What bridges the gap between that age of decadence and the aftermath of a fallen empire?
The Romans ended up providing food and housing for their population in order to defeat both the struggle and the absence of leisure among their people (the only jobs that remained were either big-time ones such as engineering/construction and of course actual slavery).

They realized that people would no longer volunteer to any cause big or small, unless their most basic woes of living were solved first. That this was the very thing dominating their peoples minds.

Another question is, what will people be striving to volunteer towards? One thing that comes to mind is implementing automation, because it would avoid repeating the vast amounts of slavery that occurred during the fall of the roman empire. Yet, a quick glance at reports of slavery propping up in the anglo world shows that slavery has already started (it's mostly foreigners slaving their own people though currently). How would you even begin to get people realizing such a thing?

I have also considered it. In fact it's been something I think about quite often lately.

Good stuff, thanks for posting these.

I agree with this. Do you think that in the near future, there will be a push back towards a male-dominated workplace? I feel like it will have to get far worse first, before it gets better. Perhaps in the most amusing sense they will send out a bunch of women to build Trumps wall, and it will just fall over in a cloud of dust (what do you mean? women are great at construction!).

I don't think it's rambling user, it actually makes a lot of sense and I agree with this being how a true happy medium of priorities will come about.
Have a good sleep.

Good thread, great contributions. Bump

Great post user, I want to hear more from you.

To add:

Good additions.

The excessive outrage point is quite important as it shows a heavy lack of stoicism (enduring emotions as a trigger for thought instead of a trigger for action).
A good example of this imbalance is people going 0 to 100 if you're filming something in public (eg. surveillance camera man). Their concept of public vs private has become entirely baseless in a flurry of misdirection. The foundation for it has become a muddy swamp with no definitive direction for wadding through to the other side.

People will happily seek out an imaginary law to demonize you if you're filming with a camera out on the street. To attack you and to ensure that they get their way. To resolve misdirection of the mind only with actions, and no thinking. Yet, you're doing exactly the same thing as what security cameras do everywhere…just with a human face for them to see behind the camera. This minor contradiction isn't clicking in anyone's heads, and this is observable through-out the developed world. Anywhere with cameras that was at some point deemed as a first-world nation has this lack of stoicism on the brain.

The very concept of being truly "calm" can't exist without being somewhat stoic. What may appear as calm in public is often a false, docile sense of artificial peace. Do not mistake yourself, these people are anything BUT calm and through their lack of self-divinity they will instantly become an advanced machine that plots out every possible immediate route it can take to ruin you as a person. They aren't out to debate, to simply conclude on who is right or wrong. They are out to defeat and destroy you over something that truly shouldn't matter or cause any outrage.

who is sam?

Just some guy who killed a bunch of people.

Good goy.

Avoiding spending money on the (((real estate economy))) doesn't make you a good goy at all, because now you can work far less in order to survive and thus you also contribute far less (((tax))). Double sting, and then suddenly rent has to be made free in order to make people work again. Food possibly too, but perhaps most will prefer to grow their own anyway.

No shekels for the Jew.

Just what I needed to read today to find form in all of the chaos, saved and shared. I hope you have found your way to the new place.

I've actually been considering doing that. Unfortunate circumstances have me between jobs. My house is worth far more than double what I initially payed for it, and just about double what I still owe on it. I was thinking of selling it off, getting a 4x4 and dropping a camper on back, and spending a couple years driving around the US hunting, fishing, and camping. Maybe make my way towards Alaska and eventually settle down there.

Celebrity chefs

bump

Thank you for capping.

… Watching that video made my head spin. He contradicts himself every other sentence and it's like peering into the mind of a schizophrenic.

I'm not sure how his fans think his "advice" makes any coherent sense.

Is there a torrent for it?

Pajama boys.