Bedrock Linux

Why aren't people using Bedrock linux? Aside from the slow development rate, why shouldn't I use it? It allows you to use packages from any distro without VM or sandbox.
bedrocklinux.org/index.html

Other urls found in this thread:

bedrocklinux.org/faq.html#ready_status
bedrocklinux.org/faq.html#stability
gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros#what-if-cloveros-dies-will-my-install-become-useless
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sounds like botnet

Why do you not use

Sound like a great idea to have conflicting packages.

You specify which package you're running. Different distro's packages are seperated into stratas, allowing you to choose which one you want to run.

I don't know what that means, but it all seems pretty un-necessary to me.
Having a cluste-fuck of repo/packages is terribly bumbling.
Just get a tarball and compile the fuck you want. Problem solved.

Is you're distro even GNAA approved fam?
Yeah, that's what I thought!

tf not even Debian is GNI confirmed

It's not about having a bunch of unnecessary repos and packages. It's about being able to choose where you get them from. Sure you can just compile everything from source, but what if I'm not autistic? One benefit for example, I can avoid systemd while still having things like AUR.

bedrocklinux.org/faq.html#ready_status

bedrocklinux.org/faq.html#stability

Nobody cares what you use or don't use, and it's not our job to argue against your adoption of Bedrock or anything else.

stratum = singular
strata = plural
stratas = NO

Sounds like a bloated pile of shit to me.

This seems totally redundant with universal packaging. Have a problem? Use an earlier version at no expense. Seems like a solution looking for a problem.

says the guy who picks distros based on corporate backing

The basic idea is that not all packages are equal even if they're the same version, built the same, pull in the same dependencies--at least, that's the idea I got from their articles and the lectures I watched. Sometimes package maintainers fuck up, so, even if Debian Testing doesn't work, the idea is that you can fall back to the same package in RHEL and have it integrate seamlessly. The obvious first-impression is "lol chroots".

The way the creator talked in his lecture, you could tell his thought process when writing Bedrock was something along the lines of "Why has nobody done this obvious thing, yet? This has to be too good to be true." In my opinion, all hacks give off that too-good-to-be-true feeling. And Bedrock is basically a glorified hack. A one-trick pony. To top it off, there's no incentive to use Bedrock in an enterprise situation: the project is aimed at desktop use--a niche audience that vaguely addresses desktop problems which can be resolved in other ways like installing a new distro, even if it doesn't directly address the issue. Bedrock is like a Surfraw or basically any Suckless project: good in sentiment but bad direction and an even worse choice in target audience.

And then there's the fact that there in fact ARE solutions that directly address the problem that Bedrock tries to fix and then some, universal packaging and reproducible builds. In fact, those solutions are more elegant, more sophisticated, and present an even more streamlined desktop experience than Bedrock could ever possibly manage with a hundred engineer years behind it.

I know you're being a little bit harsh, but that's actually a really nice way of putting it. Bedrock makes me think about projects like Suckless and Recoll. Strictly desktop software isn't bad in itself--I mean, GNU was written for the desktop, basically, but I think sometimes devs ignore the implications of the scope of their projects, and they crash and burn because of it, often times pointing the finger at the very people for whom they wrote the software for not supporting them/losing interest. It's superficially reasonable software, Bedrock, but it's not very pragmatic, and even though it doesn't have all the hallmarks, it still has that stank of NIH. Desktop software is something that's in the focal point of its endusers, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be flexible.

Minimalism and compatibly aren't 'compatible' ideologies.

Why aren't you using Solus? I use Solus. My name is Kevin. Kevin uses Solus. Aside from your name not being Kevin, why aren't you using Solus?

Linux is gay
I use BSD
Cucks aren't gay

Unix being portable is why we're all posting on Unix-like operating systems today. Those POSIX abstractions are in part a product of Unix's minimalist philosophy.

Kevin uses OSX now stop larping

OP here. I appreciate you reading the documentation and watching the dev's lecture. Your answer is by far the most thorough and thoughful. I saw Bedrock as a way to keep the minimal philosophy of downloading only what I need, yet taking it a step further and picking the optimum pacage manager, init, etc.

Get the fuck out before I cum on your mother's face, /g/. Never come back.

That...is a stretch.

If only you could somehow filter images by md5sum.

In concept? Or in practice? I think the idea is sound, but in practice...

because i'm not fucking retarded like 90% of people on this sub and use a proper operating system, xubuntu

Do I even have to say it?

t. someone who never used linux to get actual work done

fuck

In user's world, he would come in at work implying he has one and say :

"GUYS, I'm switching to Devuan" clinton.jpg

Imagine the total silence.

"B-but muh systemd", accustomed to echo-chamber of Holla Forums

to say nothing of the cheesehole security risks that Devuan/CloverOS and all the others most likely are.

Would you rather have an operating system that is maintained by at best 5 college students/unemployed chief geeks or something as time-tested as Debian or Ubuntu with 100s of professionals working on it.

There's such a thing as standards in the professional world and you keep to them to make sure you can actually work with other people.

debian > all

so basically it's just gentoo/cloveros except it includes botnetted debian/redhat/arch root archives lol

Why is devuan a meme? It's literally just non-systemd/freedesktop.org debian, although defaults are quite shitty and even minimal installation pulls dbus, so it's shit, but not a meme at all. It's good entry level distro for those who don't wanna enter gnu/linux poz waters the bad way.

How is devuan security a cheesehole? Mirroreed debian repositories with shit software patched by devuan team.
Fuck off, retard, there are no standards.

because it's been tinkered with by amateurs who changed who knows what in there

This can be said about almost every distribution.

You do know what, you can read the source and compare it yourself

the scrutiny is much bigger with bigger projects where 100s/1000s of people contribute to the code.

Trust is still the biggest thing, because realistically I have no time to review what meme distros have changed from the original and I'd rather go with the refeference material than the copy cat ; and in the end I'd rather place my trust as I've said already in Debian/Fedora than a 3 and a half-man operation.

Most distros were, in the beginning, a 3 and a half man operation, so this seems a little moot to me. I had imagined that whatever came out without SystemDickNipples would be something everyone in Holla Forums (and to some extent cuck-/g/) would go head over heels for, but seeing as how Holla Forums managed to throw BSD under the bus I've learned to just try things myself and see what I like.

With regards to CloverOS, it's simply a Gentoo install made easier with a few scripts and some packages to start you off, and to be quite honest, Gentoo was a pain in the nigger to build from scratch, so I'm glad someone (Or some group of fags, idk) chose to take the initiative.

You can also give this a read and see how to switch 'Clover' to an actual Gentoo build: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros#what-if-cloveros-dies-will-my-install-become-useless

zero understanding of what a distro even is then you say
just lol

And he can't really make an argument off of this--well, maybe not with Devuan but I can see how the Gentoo community could have people shy (or run in the other direction) away from CloverOS out of the sheer fact that a Mongolian-cave-painting forum made it (i.e: not supported software/"An automated install takes away the learning experience, rtfm" The latter of which could apply to Sabayon/Calculate Linux or even Funtoo.)

I'm starting to think the reason Poettering's projects suck so hard is because he spends all his time on Holla Forums and /g/ telling people how great Red Hat™ and systemd™ are.

It's GNU/Linux based on RedHat(R) Technology. No thanks.

I'd rather run FreeDOS than those popular distros.

Okay.

that's not true, user

*tips fedora*
FreeDOS doesn't have systemd.

ok let me see
Yeah it's rice.

Gook inside mpv is rice not potato.

go back to Reddit

It's called TASTE

It has a few problems with improper/incomplete mounts: /opt will not be shared (init will take over); likewise for /usr/share locations. This causes several problems.
Still it works well for the majority of programs in my experiments, although it's really easy to hose the system if you're not careful (in particular if you operate on / when you should be operating on /bedrock/strata/whatever instead).
Personally I find that gentoo pretty much has everything I want anyway. If I need an isolated system for some program I can use appimage/flatpak or even a manually spun chroot.
Cloveros binhost is a godsend and I'd love to be able to help distribute the binary packages somehow, e.g. in a distributed/torrent system.

All BSDs are unusable insecure dogcrap though. I'm surprised in that sense that Holla Forums and /g/ were smart enough not to fall for it.

Look dumbass, everyones Debian is better than Debian. One man show Knoppix is better than Debian. Shitbuntu is better than Debian.

My crackhead coworkers remix of Debian is better than Debian.

Debian is SHIT.

I've been wanting to do it for years but never really had the time. Sounds like a great idea.

because this is the guy that started it

yeah dont use devuan, hes a SJW

Did you even click on the link faggot?

He looks like he's trapped in that bad spot where he has used just enough drugs to develop stupid opinions, but not enough to not care and just drop out of this world and walk around high as a kite. Which is a shame.

thanks, i installed cloveros because of this thread