It's Happening!

The new IBM POWER9 OPEN computing CPUs are here and TALOS II development is moving forward!

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/blog/a-birthday-present-from-broadcom/
openssd.io/
openbenchmarking.org/result/1709121-TY-H1208915051
youtube.com/watch?v=fq6aOjBhUL0
openpowerblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/20/how-to-mine-monero-xmr-on-rackspace-barreleye-g2-server-ibm-power9/
packages.debian.org/stretch/ppc64el/openjdk-8-jre/filelist
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nice! Now all I need to do is win the lottery and I can get one.

Fuck, if you think 3000 dollars is expensive then wait until you get a car.

I have a car, because a car is a necessity where I live. The only way I could afford a superfluous purchase like this overpriced meme-machine would be if I won the lottery. Until the price comes down, Talos II is solid gold bathroom fixtures-tier.

It's going to be funny when Holla Forumsnicians start getting their Talos machines. They'll be able to type "ls" over and over in total freedom.

All that power in the hands of people who will never solve PDEs, run simulations, or even train a neural net. No, these will be used by some faggots to show off a linux distro even more worthless than they are.

fuck off faggot

It's a lot more practical when you look at how well it mines monero :^)

Are you going to get bored with this pathetic astroturfing anytime soon?

you better hope it doesn't mine coin with any amount of profitability or the prices are going to triple just like with gpu's.

I live in England, I could get a eurotrash car for the equivalent of $120

Negroids are fine, the problem is arabs.

You're an Englishman alright, be proud.

Do you live in Switzerland or something?

The main reason this shit is so expensive is tiny production runs to serve a very niche market. If anything, a booming demand due to miners would reduce the prices considerably. Well, at least for the mobos. Dunno how IBM would react to increased non-corporate demand for their CPUs.

Welcome to Holla Forums.

Look at these worried CIA niggers slash Intel shills. Just look at them.

Might as well take a holiday in the states and take it home on the plane.

$3000 is expensive when you're talking about a meme machine. You could spend $50 on a used thinkpad and have more or less the same computing experience. Actually, the thinkpad would provide a better experience, since it has compatibility with more distros, way more compatibility with proprietary software, and can be carried around and used wherever you want. Unless you actually need the computing power no, ricing your gentoo setup doesn't require that much power, there is literally no reason why the talos is better than a thinkpad.

I'm hosting VMs for HTTPS, SFTP, SSH, BitTorrent, Tor, Freenet, I2P, and RetroShare, along with build servers and mirrors for several GNU/Linux distros.

Once I get the Talos I'll be able to do this all on a single machine (it's currently a mix of alpha, amd64, and sparc64), all while giving the port maintainers a new architecture and having enough power left for myself.

Marques pls

Do you understand what astroturfing is?

Do you understand economies of scale?

You are not the target audience of this machine. This machine is for scientists, engineers, activists, and people hosting sensitive/other people's data.

The type of workloads this machine was intended to run did not include proprietary software that could not be recompiled onto any architecture. This is designed for CAD work, simulation, and high security.

Regarding the price, I think it is fair considering everything in this down to the CPU microcode itself is open source and publicly audit able. At the same time with commercial support and a name brand like IBM to get behind. Never before has there been a practical 100% open source and secure computing platform more powerful than a Raspberry Pi. Also, for data centers this means they are no longer bogged down by the reverse compatibility of machines from 1978. This also means certain workloads can be done MUCH more power efficiently on a architecture designed from the ground up with scalability and parallelism in mind instead of something originally meant to only handle no more than 640K of RAM.

If all your doing is browsing the web and archiving TV shows then by all means get a ThinkPad. If on the other hand you need to engineer a motor, model FEM data for a bridge, host TOR/I2P websites, handle medical data, Model topology maps, convert source code management repositories, compress big data, or your just sick and tired of every (only 3) X86 CPU manufacturer force installing management engines and platform security coprocessors without consent in the most expensive and power hungry way; And your ready to put your foot down then POWER9 is your answer.

Also considering this thing is built like a enterprise product and modular (4-18 cores per socket), a unit like this will last many many years.

Are you implying that Raspi is libre? Because it needs nonfree software to boot. In fact, I don't think there a single single-board computer that doesn't have some serious flaw in the freedom department.

There was the EOMA64T however it's still Raspberry Pi tier. And the nonfree components are still there just turned off. It uses an ARM ALLWINNER CPU. At least you could turn nonfree features off at all.

And no, i am not implying the RPI is completely Libre, i am just using it for comparison of computing power.

The price is fair.
A cost of a 20 thread HP workstation is $3,000
A 32 thread TALOS will cost you the same, you just have to build it yourself.

TALOS is actually an amazing deal for what it is, A WORKSTATION.

The Raspi can be libre because documentation is open, codecs are still closed though.
raspberrypi.org/blog/a-birthday-present-from-broadcom/

The ridiculous part isn't how reasonable the price is as a workstation. The issue is a workstation for whom. Although, if a tool like this gives incentive for development on free platforms even if only in enterprise terms, it's a step in the right direction.

I look forward to purchasing these years later at a fraction of the price on ebay. I hope you rich fags choke or your "freedom".

Oh, don't worry i will. And i will enjoy it.

are there any libre storage controller boards that this device can use?

Do you mean libre storage controllers or controllers that work with libre-kernel?

Libre storage controllers that work with libre kernel for libre.

Literally only one
openssd.io/

For controllers that work with libre-kernel that's more.

Ya it only seems expensive to some because of the fact the market is flooded with cheap x86 stuff now. Just look back a few years.

We need to write a cryptocoin that's optimized for mining on power9 so that we can harness the power of cryptonorms to widen the market.

Is it really faster at FEM than x86 or a GPU with CUDA? How about CFD?

That still uses proprietary hardware as NAND controllers. I said libre, not FOSS, this might be the closest thing but it's still not.

I meant to ask about FOSH PCIe to SATA/SAS cards but I pretty much knew the answer already. We need more progress.

That's how much my car cost me.

I could be wrong but NVME drivers are less botnet than SATA, these will work with them.

Who the fuck knows tbh? When one of you richers get your shit, be sure to benchmark it. This is all I could find.
openbenchmarking.org/result/1709121-TY-H1208915051

serious nostalgia. I really miss that era. My family's first computer cost 3000 dollarydoos (included a badass inkjet printer too). Talos cost is more than fair, but in the era of dirt-cheap and disposable x86 hardware that's good enough for most of what you'd do on it it's hard to justify.

I do plan to get one in the next year or two though. I'm playing fewer and fewer gaymes these days so as a general use machine (considering a core 2 quad is good enough still) i expect to keep it for a decade or more, and there's no need to go balls deep in processor cores and ram.

I'll have to find a compatible beige case though. No use putting such a special piece of hardware into a gaymer faggot case

lol

Ah, there we go. "Sensitive" data. In other words, for Holla Forums, it's a libre CP storage device.

You'll be able to play Minecraft on it. :^)

Do you understand words?

Possibly, Can OpenJDK be compiled on POWER9?

Yes since it is a C program. You could use any java app that doesn't need oracle JVM specific functions or uses bytecode optimizations for a specific architecture.

youtube.com/watch?v=fq6aOjBhUL0
If these are the type of dumb fucks mining coin i don't think you have to worry too much.

I was toying with the idea of mining Monero on one of these systems, the huge L3 cache means you can run tons of mining threads on them.

Yes, but you won't be able to use Hotspot as it includes assembly for optimization.

I'd rather invest on building a bunker basement and faraday room in case EMP bombs and civil war.
Of course a fucking solar powerbank.

If they make a fast, secure platform for gaming PCs, they'll sell like hotcakes.

retard

I guess you've never heard of the pre IBM domination world. It's never too late for a revolution.

Actually scratch that, I'm a retard. I meant the IBM PC standard which every computer today follows, not IBM as a company. Jesus Christ.

it will be high-powered platform for python game-devs

The IBM PC standard is one of the best things to happen to computing, because having software diversified and distributed accross 4 different platforms is absolute cancer. You want the equivalent of Apple vs Google vs BlackBerry vs Windows app stores, for PC? You're a fucking moron!

When the market is so consolidated on a single standard, the effect of things like Meltdown and the various (((ME))) exploits becomes accentuated, you fucking moron.

Yeah it's not like multiplatform compilers exist or something

my sides!

The problem is that all x86-era games become unplayable without emulation, and most of them have anti-emulation measures already implemented anyway. Thus it cannot be a PC game platform. However it can be a completely new system, but that's not really the meaning of the previous claim. That's also not to mention that even to this day games have tons of small segments of optimized assembly code.

Meltdown is only Intel CPUs, sorry you chose wrong.

Just don't use games that use inline assembly. Then you can just compile the whole codebase for your platform.

Wrong, it's actually any CPU that has speculative execution.

Get a brain retard

wat?

Compilation breeds excellence and innovation. The Wintel platform is the definition of mediocrity.

*competition
phoneposting was a mistake

Are powerPCs really coming back?

Can OpenJDK be available for something which it's been available for 15+ years? That's a good question because most people forget Java is only for Intel.

Okay, say that again in English next time, please.

You are a baby duck who has only lived in a Wintel world.

POWER9 looks like it could be a game changer for Monero at the very least, probably since it's designed to give CPUs a comparative advantage.
openpowerblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/20/how-to-mine-monero-xmr-on-rackspace-barreleye-g2-server-ibm-power9/

Looking at another example, I don't think we'll see it mining Ethereum. Each instruction requires a read from the DAG at a random location, so you'll need the whole thing in the cache if you want to utilize the fast memory reads necessary to outperform GPUs. L3 on a POWER9 chip is 120MB and the DAG is over 2GB at this point, so you can't just plop it in the cache like on a graphics card.

Repeated off-topic posting = ban.
This is your first warning.

Now that the 18 core CPU options are confirmed I will probably be ordering one in a few weeks to replace my old 8350 system.

I am just trying to decide on how best to run the few x86 programs I want, will probably build an x86 system and run everything in dockers or VMs with x11 forwarding.

Having actually spoken to some of the engineers and management on the Power team I get the feeling they would probably be thrilled if they managed to achieve 1% of the desktop market.

Exactly, the only thing that made GPUs cheap in the first place was the economy of scale made possible by large consumer demand, now though there is so much demand due to mining that its starting to rise again.

Niggerlover be raped.

kek

:o)

are nand controllers (or other small black boxes here and there) that complex? could a dedicated team of 10^1 ~ 10^1.5 engineers make something viable?

the large majority of modern programs, i assume, will be able to run on power9. all that is needed is for them to be recompiled into the proper architecture unless they've gone ham on the inline asm hacks.

Meltdown only affects Intel. Spectre is the one that affects all speculative executing CPU.

i hope so. i want to have that squishy colorful ifruit again.

packages.debian.org/stretch/ppc64el/openjdk-8-jre/filelist

Even a complete CPU is fairly simple and can be done by a single person in a few months. The brunt of the work is in research required to come up with the right architecture to be efficient, and all the optimizations that come with it. That you can't do without a large team of seasoned pros.

user...

Forgive my autism, but that was a limitation of DOS, not x86.

:^)

All modern games are unplayable anyway due to industry-wide retardation and rampant SJWism, not to mention DRM cancer. Any game old enough not to make my stomach churn will be easily emulatable on the POWER9, regardless of the ISA it was released for.

They moved to intrinsics years ago, but of course that doesn't change anything except triggering my autism.

Power9 is great man but don't spread conjecture because you clearly have a superficial grasp on how all this works at best

Emulation is a common tool for reverse-engineering, which can be used for defeating DRM measures, online cheating and unauthorised modding.

The 8080 had a 64k address space, and 8086 was limited to 1MB... where did you get that number from?

You dudes seem to be confusing the IBM PC with the 8086 compatible inside.

sounds like double speak for high tech pranking.

I plan to use my POWER9 to do all these things, but for my task I think a GPU farm would do better. I'm doing Biochem eng

hahahaha... oy vey.

I recently bought a 4 thousand dollar truck.

Isn't three thousand bucks a tad expensive even for number crunching workstations like these?

No, See

If you are complaining about the price of the motherboard you obviously have no fucking idea how economies of scale work, if you are complaining about the price of everything else most are only a little above normal retail prices.