Webdev cancer

Why do all the modern lightweight editors only have webdev themes? I wanted to like Atom, but looking through the themes available, I realized that they were all meant for web dev. The examples didn't even show examples for C or C++. Most of them were broken when trying to use them for C/C++. It also defaults to the disgusting webdev cancer of placing brackets on the same line as other text, and the only way to change this is to go into the config files and spend at least an hour making sure you change the auto complete for every single possible instance to place the bracket on a new line.

Is Code::Blocks the only decent IDE out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

foicica.com/textadept/
hooktube.com/watch?v=MRYzPWnk2mE
yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/10/1350245/visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-secretly-inserts-telemetry-code-into-binaries
langserver.org
microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/implementors/servers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just use Emacs.

Make me.

Reading comprehension, user. I WANTED to like it, not "I used to like it." It's not because of example images, that's just part of the narrative showing that this, like every other editor out there these days, is made for web dev, and web dev only. Compiled languages are second class citizens. Also the part where, like I said, a lot of these themes just don't work with C, as they're missing all kinds of highlighting.

I agree. It seems a little juvenile that you can't swallow your ego and understand that your own sensibilities and use-case might be different than the majority of people, OP? Do you go through life wondering if other people think the same thing about you? If not, you must not be very introspective.

For your own sake, you should really stop looking for reasons to resent people. I would encourage you to put yourself in their shoes, except that this whole issue is so innocuous, it wouldn't even do you any good.

You wanted a suggestion, didn't you?

t. web dev

Seems like a petty narrative. Maybe those kind of programmers don't rely on an IDE to get stuff done? Maybe you should, uh, be more flexible?

Web developers are more numerous than other developers bro

Yeah, because it's a job any mindless dumbass can do.

So?

Dismissing an editor because you don't like the themes? Bloody hell. Just piss off and leave programming to the pros.

Oh and don't construe this as a defense of Atom. It's garbage to attract retards, which is why it lured in OP.

Yeah no shit. If it's written in fucking JS it's by and for web artisans.

lmao it's fucking nothing

how to spot a ni/g/ger

Are you trying to attack the factual legitimacy of a suggestion?

Why did you make this thread, again?

Not sure why you think he's me, but I made it to discuss the trend of pandering to web devs.

Because you're a hivemind.
By which you mean lamenting your irrational fear of being phased out of the market? Or just complaining in general.

u丂乇 ム刀 乇dノイo尺 キo尺 oイん乇尺 ア尺og尺ムᄊᄊ乇尺丂 イん乇刀! ᄊo尺o刀.

Want to know how I know you don't know either of those?

The fuck are you talking about?

Yeah double down fa/g/got. Nobody can tell you're a newfag if you just start randomly changing the topic and accusing people of samefagging. You gonna try saging next?

Just take a deep breath.

イoア ん乇ん

I think you meant to say "mfw I'm a wojakposting 4channer"

neovim

Or even better,

imageboards aren't socialmedia you dumbass

Well you're gay, so there.

I wrote out a very informative essay on why OP is a faggot, but I fat-fingered some random qutebrowser macro and lose it all.

In the spirit of not wasting my time, I'm going to TL;DR:
This board is not your blog.
Atom is not a lightweight editor.
You have been given choices for a lightweight editor, but have replied with meme answers.
No one who is good at C/C++ uses an IDE.
Good C/C++raftsmen use debuggers.
You would know all of this if you programmed in C/C++.
This is likely a shill thread for Code::Blocks, when VS is the superior bloat product for getting anything done in C/C++.
OP is likely a freshman or a senior in high school who still cares about little things and ricing his setup, instead of his workflow and getting things done.
OP doesn't have a job or ever had any responsibilities where his opinion mattered, thus he has never had to work to sprout a thought that wouldn't immediately be killed by the daily seizures OP's brain experiences from his habitual glue huffing.
OP is a faggot.
Use emacs/vi(m)/gedit/nano/awk.
Qutebrowser can suck on my dick, whose head contains a single stray pube.

Sage goes in all fields, you cuckchan rapeugee.

Shhhshhhush, we already know that. We're just posting for the bantz.

I'm going to kill your mother, wear her skin, take advantage of your mommy fetish, pretend I'm fucking you with a strap-on, then cum in your ass, take off the skin, and yell "reply to this post or your mother will die in her sleep tonight and I'll wear her skin."

foicica.com/textadept/

weak bait thread.

Kill yourself, oxygen waste.

fuck off faggot

Well what was the point of this thread?

Your post definitely furthered this discussion in a positive direction.

more like soydev m8

just use qtcreator

The /g/pocalypse is real.

I think it's because the demand is huge. I've been really swamped for the last couple of years. Good money.
The advice they gave is you is really good, but it seems you're a lost case. Your loss.

That takes like 50gb to install.

Try GNU emacs as said
I bet you haven't even opened emacs before. Watch this video, if you are too afraid to open emacs yourself: hooktube.com/watch?v=MRYzPWnk2mE

I agree but, Microsoft's C compiler is shit

That video tutorial is horrible. Why is it that they guys with such a superficial understanding always decide that they're going to be the one to miseducate people on the topic? Or is it that anyone worth their salt wouldn't teach people about simple functions that could be learned in a few minutes in a written manual are the only ones making video tutorials about a text editor?

I take it you have not worked on any kind of massive codebase to say something like that.

I take it you have not worked on any kind of massive codebase to say something like that.

Peeking at definitions from any of the massive list of includes is pretty nifty actually. Intellisense is also quite nice.

Does anyone on Holla Forums actually program for a living? I feel like 10% of Holla Forums programs professionally, 40% just does some super shitty low-effort "hobby" programming that amounts to nothing, and 50% doesn't even program but may have touched a programming language like a decade ago and believe this makes them a programming god.

I'm a full time software engineer but when I get home I just want to chill out, eat food, masturbate, play video games, watch anime, read manga, and shitpost so I don't really do programming at home.

How dare you.

Yes. I also charge them for the hours I spend watching anime.

hahahahahahahaha

People that work on massive codebases use vim not bloated as fuck IDEs

Visual Studio :^)

How far into the degree are you? If this is more than your first or second semester, then I would genuinely recommend dropping it and finding another school. I made the mistake of going through a diploma mill shithole and it did nothing to help me get a job, despite the school's entire focus being on getting you a job.

It varies between individuals. I've seen very talented people using both approaches, but of course if you're joining a project with a very large existing codebase, an IDE can be quite helpful.

Linus uses MicroEmacs, you dumdum.

Again you are making it seem like an IDE is better for larger codebases when they just get worse with them.

What's wrong with Visual Studio? I still use the 2015 version and have never had a problem with it.

Visual Studio inserts botnet into your code
yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/10/1350245/visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-secretly-inserts-telemetry-code-into-binaries

Again, it depends on the individual, and also the language and modes in question. An IDE tailored for a specific language grammar will provide context-aware auto completion, and likely a whole host of tools for refactoring. When I programmed in Java some years ago, it was certainly quicker for me to use IntelliJ than. Some emacs modes provide a comparable experience, but it varies and more often than not, emacs modes use simple syntax parsing with regular expressions rather than semantic parsing.

*to use IntelliJ than Emacs.

People at work use either emacs or vim, some even use ultraedit but no one uses any IDE.

That's MSVC you retarded faggot.

Not him, but you might want to try reading that again.

ebin

You never used Visual Studio, right? The marginal time you lose booting up the IDE (which is about as much as vim with youcompleteme) and the very rare moments a keystroke is delayed is won by not having to use a modal piece of shit and and an actually functional tab autocomplete. Also switching buffers in vim is a pain in the arse.

At this point I am convinced people who praise vim are just larpers. Sure, it is lighter, but unless you have a shitload of macros and plugins it doesn't get even close to what any IDE, much less Visual Studio can achieve in terms of productivity. It gets worse when they are convinced vim without plugins is better. I have yet to try a properly configured Emacs but I am not very optimistic about it.

- t. guy who uses nvim at home and VS at work

Why don't you stop being a faggot and start naming some of these advantages instead of beating around the bush?
Name something concrete that VS can do that vim/emacs can't.

You read absolutely nothing about my post because I clearly exposed my reasons there, but I will repeat because you are clearly retarded: VS tab autocomplete actually works. Yeah, doesn't seem like much but that shit puts it above pretty much every autocomplete system I have ever seen but fish's. It's also not modal, but that's more of a point against vim.

And I ask, what can vim do better than VS that are not some vague claims about bloat that only matter if you are using a potato?

How is it an advantage to have a list of every possible command being generated every time you type?
In order to get a sensible result from autocomplete you have to type most of the word anyways.

Let me guess, you're a webdev working with aspie/c# or some other .net cancer

Intellisense is context aware so it can more or less guess what you want to type one or two keystrokes in. Unless you use Unix/Rust naming conventions, that's usually between 3 and 15 keystrokes saved per word. That's a shitload. YCM and other shitty autocomplete systems usually simply parse your whole file and let you repeat every word you put in there. It's almost as if you haven't tried VS at all.

Let me guess, you are an embedded C developer who uses assembly every single day, which is Holla Forums codeword for "I am a NEET".

Looks like i was right, another webcuck.

So your only argument is "autocomplete makes an IDE better". Only codemonkeys care about saved keystrokes so that argument is pretty much moot.

So was I, a NEET who doesn't even know what he's talking about.

The whole fucking point of a text editor is making typing easier. Why even bother defending a shitty text editor if you are going to proceed to claim text edition doesn't matter, you braindead NEET?

PS: I have probably designed and written backends and even frontends more complicated than anything you will ever produce. Yes, even more complicated than your fizzbuzzes.

>claims to have done very important work that he no doubt can't show because its sekrit
What a complete meltdown.

Your claim is IDEs are better. Why should i have to prove that editors are better? You made a claim now back it up.

Here is a smug to remind you that you can't even argue much less program.

I guess we're done here.

I made a claim. I am backing it up. Just because your goon ass can't read doesn't mean it is any less of an argument. Fuck, you didn't even know how Intellisense worked, and for the looks of it, it doesn't even seem you know what working is, so why should anyone bother about your asspulled, baseless opinion, that was proven wrong with the first post?

:^)

For real though VS Code is better than Atom, Sublime, WebStorm, and all the other JS editors.

you go on to say

If to you workflow and getting things done were actually important you wouldn't care about the tooling others use as long as they're productive and can meet expectations.

CLion is superior to both.

C# nigger detected; how's all that Microshit software treating you? It's called auto-completion you chicken nugget scoon.
You don't need an IDE for shit. If an editor is popular enough, then it will have plugins/modifications/whatever to provide you with many of the behaviors that IDEs have. Hint, you don't need the majority of those behaviors anyway; many are a waste of time.

Well, it's paying my wage.
Which is what I have been calling it the whole thread, only referring to Intellisense when I was specifically referring to Intellisense. You are so buttmad you aren't even making sense.
YCM is shit. You would have known if your code spawned more than a single 50 lines file.

You clearly didn't understand the post above discussing why the IDE is often superior for completion and also refactoring, because very few Emacs and Vim modes provide semantic parsing. That being said, the langserver.org project is working to provide these capabilities universally, so even the simplest editor will gain features such as context aware completion. When you work on a project over 100,000 lines, you'll appreciate it.

Hi, yes, python

Speaking of, I've been working on a Lua server, is there any intrest if I open source it??

btfo

This was my point. It doens't matter what you use as long as you're productive. Being elitist about tools is something people with too much free time (see: no responsibilities).

There is a more complete list here: microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/implementors/servers/ and there does seem to be a LUA server already. I can't speak to the quality though, so perhaps yours is better.

That's pretty cool. I just set up a server and I'll give it a try over the next few days. Looks pretty good so far.

Yea the issue is they won't be productive and wont meet expectations.

lol no. If you spend a chunk of your life using something and you don't think it's the best then you have mental problems.
Seriously the only people who don't act elitist are burn outs who think everything is shit and secret smug bastards who don't want anyone else to find out about their great setup.
Everyone else in every single part of life thinks their choice is the best and will argue about it.

Yes. I'm clincally schizophrenic for not: deluding myself, being a normie, and wasting my time. Time is limited and some tools take too much time to become more useful than an alternative, with less capabilities but quicker break-in. Don't drink the koolaid, user.

That's all you saying how your choice was the best and people who disagree are time wasters with no responsibilities. Now I'm sure you think you are immune to being elitist but there ya go.

You're taking a general statement and pigeon-holing it into your own interpretation. I'm currently wasting my time writing out posts that will give me very little in return and looking like a hypocrit because I'm arguing about in the same manner as the people I chastise. But, you're right. The more I think about it, the more I fail to see any other answer than lying. However, I'm not immune to be elitist, but I am constantly trying to maintain a balance without being a jaded burnout and a zealot. What you said is true, and because of my willful efforts in ignoring the refinement of my conduct, I've lashed out at you as a contrarian. Thank you.

What's a "webdev"?

Vim is pretty good. In all my college programming classes we use either nano or vim. Windows users run putty to use a Linux machine so they use vim or nano. The windows people use visual studios when they can't ssh in since you can compile with the gcc compiler with the built in virtual machine on visual studio.

A person who does not know how to program

a buzzword like FULL STACK

FULL STACKoverflow Engineer + DEV OPS expert in SaaS CLOUD solutions CERTIFIED AGILE DEVELOPER!

I'm having flashbacks to the year I tried applying to jobs everywhere and got no replies, gave up, and now live in a inner city library.

I've been programming for more than 10 years and i've always used visual studio with the default theme. It works and i get shit done unlike all of you autistic kids.