Old unix sources

Hello, I've recently found some old utils source code in a 'UNIX power tools' book I purchased. Most of the stuff is from 1992-1993, but I thought it might be interesting to examine.

It includes emacs 18.59, tcsh 6.03, bash 1.11 ( a version no longer even available on the gnu repository), and many more!

the whole cd is located here:
www (dot) dropbox.com/s/zqymwzkwprtx2dj/powert.tar.gz?dl=0
size is ~346MB

Other urls found in this thread:

buzzfile.com/business/Ready~To~Run-Software,-Inc.-607-533-4002
ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/
rtr.com/Ready-to-Run_Software/our_founder.htm
github.com/tovbinm/emacs-24-mac/blob/master/etc/COOKIES
github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/
github.com/tsutsui/emacs-18.59-netbsd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

full list of tools is as follows:
agrepareacodeawfbashbsdtarbsplitcalencompresscpmodcsplitcut_pastcvtbasedeletediffdtpediffemacsfgrepfileutilfindfindergawkgetoptgrabchargrepgroffhgrepindexinsertsiplispelljotlesslndirlooklstmcedpatchpbmpluspcalperlpstextpsutilsqsubstqtermrcsrcsit2renrolodexrotscscreensharshellutisherrorslssmileystattartcaptcshtpipetwinvisvtreewhichxargsxrefxtailzapzipcode

Pretty sure old Bash versions are no longer in the repos because of the Shell Shock bug

the shell shock bug was disclosed in 2014, the gnu repos contain bash versions up to 1.14, released in 1994, 1-2 years after 1.11

>www (dot) dropbox.com
Reported

I recently went looking for a really old version of GNU Emacs and it's hard, user. I recommend you upload this to the Internet Archive's software repository. They love shit like this.

Have you looked at Ancient Unix at tuhs.org? You can really dig up some early and very interesting software.

Really nice find user, thank you very much!

Nice bloat.

GNU's Not UNIX

I tried to find out whether the company Ready-To-Run Software Inc. still exists. It seems like it's registered here:
buzzfile.com/business/Ready~To~Run-Software,-Inc.-607-533-4002
But I can't find if they shut down. It seems to be a one-man company (Jeff Moskow), and it seems like he wrote all the scripts inside the UNIX Power Tools CDROM you uploaded:#!/usr/local/bin/perl## Copyright (C) Ready-to-Run Software, Inc. 1991, 1992, 1993.# Groton, MA 01450.## All Rights Reserved.## This Module contains Proprietary Information of # Ready-to-Run Software, Inc. ## Ready-to-Run Software, Inc. is a software service company. Most# of the software provided to our customers is "publically# available"; we provide the service of locating and building# the software for you. In general, you may make as many copies# as you want of the software that we deliver to you (individual# package license information is provided during the installation# process). The major exception to that is Ready-to-Run Software's # "Smart Installation System". We view the installation system# and the proprietary techniques used in it, as the vehicle that# allows us to effectively deliver our services to you. Accordingly:## Use of this "Smart Installation System" is limited as follows:## 1) by anyone, to install a SAMPLE ReadyPak(tm) from # Ready-to-Run Software, Inc.# 2) by a ReadyPak Purchaser to install a ReadyPak obtained from# Ready-to-Run Software, Inc. on any machine within your# organization. # 3) It may not be copied or otherwise distributed without written# permission from Ready-to-Run Software, Inc.## $Id: build,v 1.1 1992/12/18 02:34:10 jeff Exp jeff $## $Log: build,v $# Revision 1.1 1992/12/18 02:34:10 jeff# Initial revision##
Note the 'jeff'.

Most UNIX software in the 90s was proprietary, what do you expect? Plus, this is commercial software. The build scripts are the only parts that are proprietary, the software is from GNU mostly.

I was right, sources/bash/bash_111.z:/alias.c:/* alias.c -- Not a full alias, but just the kind that we use in the shell. Csh style alias is somewhere else (`over there, in a box'). *//* Copyright (C) 1987,1991 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This file is part of GNU Bash, the Bourne Again SHell. Bash is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option) any later version. Bash is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with Bash; see the file COPYING. If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. */

you can try ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/ , but the oldest version there is the same version in the tools (18.59)

rtr.com/Ready-to-Run_Software/our_founder.htm
Their website seems still active, and the copyright up to date to 2016.

Why the fuck did this not come up in my searches? You failed me, CuckCuckGoy.

that cookie recipe file was in Emacs until fairly recently. I remember ESR asking on the mailing list if he could remove it when he was moving Emacs to git.

github.com/tovbinm/emacs-24-mac/blob/master/etc/COOKIES

Well lookie here, looks like we've got a redditor on our hands.

I wouln't normally sage just because someone shares this information with them, but your reddit account isn't a burner, it's actually used

Kek, I also looked around on the Internet Archive, there are a lot of shareware and other software CDs from that day, and the oldest version I could dig up on that media was...

DRUMROLL.........

It's like previous versions are just gone off the Internet. I'm going to start poking around and see if I can find some rips or mirrors of old popular FTP sites. I believe Sun used to host an FTP archive of open source software they used, it's possible archives of that exist too. I'm also going to download and poke inside of the Ancient Unix tarballs. It looks like Emacs wasn't popular inside of Bell Labs so it's not in the v10 or v9 sources, but I haven't looked at older Unices or tape archives from other sites yet.

As a UNIX and Emacs enthusiast I thank you for sharing this.
I'll give you a pass for being a Redditor.
This time.

YOU SON OF A BITCH

You must be retarded. This link, found in two seconds of googling, even provides the sources for TECO EMACS.
github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/

GNU Emacs 16.59 is the oldest one on that archive.

Emacs dropped the minor version around 1.2. It went from something like 1.2 to 13. Version 16 is just 1.6.

(They seem to have dropped this versioning system in early 2000s, but they've recently picked it back up)

should have said
Stallman started afresh with the numbering when he started GNU

github.com/tsutsui/emacs-18.59-netbsd

Builds on Linux (x86? arm?) as well.

LOL