Which brain networks respond when someone sticks to a belief?

When political beliefs are challenged, a person’s brain becomes active in areas that govern personal identity and emotional responses to threats, USC researchers find

No surprise here, pretty obvious stuff. Why was this study even funded though? Why would anyone pay to "discover" something so obvious?

Then you get to here:

news.usc.edu/114481/which-brain-networks-respond-when-someone-sticks-to-a-belief/
archive.is/d7c6a

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_signifier
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll be it is.

So they can target the region with drugs for state induced conversion.

I guessed it would be the amygdala, it's nice to be right. My experiences plumbing the cognitive dissonance of others indicate religious/political beliefs bring out the most bestial elements.

Pretty much why you have to be autistic to think clearly about these things.

how is this a new study?? i thought this had been out for years?

as i remember it, they're developing drugs to inhibit the amygdala which would make a person more easily influenced / less defensive about their beliefs
i.e., brainwashing, food and drinking water additives for the masses that magically enable the propaganda machine to function perfectly.

i know this same study has been done before. they specifically mentioned when they inhibited the amygdala those who were tested and considered themselves religious were more willing to accept a lack of God.
again, useful for brainwashing and controlling the thoughts of the masses

these researchers need to be on the list for DOTR tbh.

Say what now? What the hell is the opposing viewpoint? No need to ask about the Edison one. That's got to be Cracked and The Oatmeal's Church of the Holy Tesla followers spreading the word.

Re: Fluoride. I've seen so much shit that proves both sides of the argument that I've never been sure what to believe, even when it's a Holla Forumsack saying it. Is there anything that utterly blows away the pro-fluoride camp that is more than just the usual infopic for the norms?

I saw a an article years ago that attacked Republicans for having larger amygdalae. The "fear and anger" center of the brain, they called it. The article neglected, of course, to mention that the amygdala is also responsible for compassion and empathy. That was one of my earliest redpills.

Agree. For them persuasion is a matter of psychological fiddling rather than truth telling. Kikish rat-think IMO. It's especially nauseating to see this bitch smiling away while doing the work of the enemy.

Ruskies already knowed this, ask uncle Yuri, btw, show autism tests please.

There was a thing where they found that you could make someone less racist through electroshocking their brain, specifically the part that deals with threat response.

this. they've been manipulating people for so long that they are freaking out right now and scrambling to see how they can regain control

this must be why mememagick works so well. By using humor/irony/satire, images of cute animals (etc), and over-the-top shock pics Holla Forums is short-circuiting their defense mechanisms by either supplanting them (humor), suppressing them (cute animals), or over-loading them (shock pics). It's fucking brilliant, and Holla Forums basically stumbled onto it by accident

bc technically something isn't "proven" until it has been rigorously study through the "proper" methodology and had "leading" theories applied to it.

also this

its called a "floating signifier." whenever I'm dealing with pretentious hipster faggots, I always rapidly and aggressively interrupt them while they are speaking by calling out "floating signifier!" sort of like they do with "racist!" etc. It works really well because not only does it prove a point, but it makes them feel stupid and intellectually intimidated bc they didn't know what the term means. So, you turn the table on them: you are the smart one educating them about how they are subject to an "ideology" and can't see their own biases etc.

It's so awesome. You should try it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_signifier

More than 80% of "psychology" experimental results could not be replicated when said experiments were re-run later.
Possible reasons why psychology is so unbelievably shite:
1). We live in a universe designed entirely around frustrating psychologists.
2). Psychology is a pretend science practiced solely by dizzy charlatans who just make shit up as they go along.
3). Psychology is a pretend science practiced solely by corrupt charlatans who just make shit up - according to the communist social justice agenda memo they got that week - as they go along.
You decide.

Might this not secretly benefit us? It would deprive leftists of their only impetus for maintaining leftist belief, which does not harm our truth because it is based on evidence and reason.

I suspect we won't see this rolled out because of that.

Slightly OT: I became more outspoken about my rightist inclinations after starting meds. I suspect anti-depressants (which I am not taking) may help support leftist opinions that are already pleasant, but that otherwise drugs tend to disinhibit rather than promote ideological conformity.

already present*

The ones we need to cut out!
|
|
|

Cognitive Science student here. This shit's important for our research - our attempt to understand how cognitive systems attach meaning to beliefs and what arational mechanisms are used to provide the motivation for response and defence.

Providing a neurological account of the process of argumentation and belief-holding is necessary to logically formalise it and hopefully build a cognitive system of your own (the big goal of the field), and possibly to even look for treatments for psychological and neurological conditions such as depression and autism (secondary, but our findings would provide a pathway for medical research).

Understanding what makes humans tick beyond the banal banner of "common sense" is something we need to do. What this dumbo probably has done is try to blag about something topical to the media ("muh fake news") to try to get press exposure and funding from the faculty.

Toothpaste. You see, since toothpaste cleans your teeth we don't need to ingest it via fluoridated tap water. Fluoride is completely unnecessary since toothpaste is so cheap and readily available, and it would be much more beneficial to hand out toothpaste and toothbrushes to poor people than it would be to fluroidate their water (shitlibs claim that fluoride helps poor people, when toothpaste would suffice).

So why are we being forced to drink a chemical that's unneeded for clean teeth? ulterior motives, jewish motives.

I am against water fluoridation, but the argument for it is predicated on the idea that having a frequent source of fluoride (in your drinks, on your utensils, etc) contact your teeth means that alongside regular brushing, dental health will be improved. The extra dose allows for a cleaner mouth than just brushing, and it also makes it so that idiots who don't brush are less likely to have horrid nasty shit happen in their mouths.

They've been doing research on brainwashing. Like they actually did publicly publish sticking electrodes in volunteers and trying to convince them to be left winged.

You don't need fluoride for healthy teeth and in fact too much exposure to fluoride has a good chance of enamel fluorosis happening to you when you're a kid while your teeth is still growing which is defects in the enamel of your teeth. In fact, you shouldn't even be using toothpaste with fluoride in it if your water also has fluoride because that usually is too much if you're a child, and not only this but fluoride itself directly interferes with bone growth from constant exposure with fluoride so it's not even healthy or safe when you grow up on the stuff. If you need fluoride you still need to cut that shit down purely because of all the fluoride in the water which is just an alternative to chlorine and never let your kids be over exposed to tap water until they are at the very minimum 14-16 years old. That's just for the teeth.

The amounts in tapwater are so trace as to prevent those dental problems. See almost every child in the west today.

The amount is enough that a child eating the fluoride toothpaste is considered too much because the fluoride in tap water is measured to be enough to have an effect on your teeth and the amount in bottled water is unknown. Most cases it's not considered to be an issue so minor problems with your adult teeth are not a concern nor considered a health issue and most of the time it won't even show up on your health record since it is ignored. If you're referring to whitened teeth, that isn't at all a good sign if you didn't deliberately get your teeth whitened since it means your teeth are decaying, I was surprised when my dentist told me that too. The only thing fluoride does is make your teeth resistant to decay, you can and still will get cavities and plaque will fuck your teeth up. I asked, it doesn't really do anything but slow the process down.

Yeah, how surprising that some kike who used information from other scientists and never cited their work wouldn't be considered a great physicist! How strange! What is wrong with people, lol! xxDDD

I grew up with fluoride in the water and the toothpaste. Unfortunately my (((dentist))) took note of my 100% insurance coverage.

Let me try that:
Sleep is one form of rest, other forms or resting exist. For example: sitting down after sporting.

Sleep gives many health benefits, the ill-effects of sleep deprivation are varied and well known. Other forms of rest don't provide these health benefits.

Therefor, logically, you want sleep for the health benefits, not (just) for the rest.