The Dark Knight Returns

What did Holla Forums think of the dark knight returns (movie adaption)?

I think they are probably the best of the animated DC movies.

I also like the art in them more than the comics.

It has one of my favorite animated fight scenes of all time.

The animation is cheap and they should've gotten Adam West to voice Batman.

He would've been perfect.

No, they should have gotten Michael Ironside.
Having Robocop do the voice was a still a decent decision.

I question the need to split up the movie into 2 parts…also, why didn't they have Michael Ironside as old Bruce?

Robocop voicing Batman was eh, but the absence of the comic's monologue hurts it in the same way as the Year One adaptation.

Trying to fit everything into one 2 hour movie would make it a over compressed mess.

I've probably rewatched them about 6 times.
Last time I did I finally noticed the kind of Batman: Year One design cameo pictures and also put together that Sarah was the same woman he cheated on his wife with in Year One.
I just somehow never put that together.

The movies are missing some of the inner monolog parts from the comic but that is probably for the best.
I hate the standard version of Bladerunner for that exact reason where it acts as if the viewer is cripplingly retarded and goes out of its way to explain each scene.

Surprisingly well done.
I must've rewatched the last fight at least a dozen times at this point.

I wish anime and pretty much all of japanese production including vidya would stop explaining every mundane detail and just get on with it. One of the main reasons I never got into anime.
Robocop voice worked fine by me, don't know why people have an issue with him.

But normally they are. If you aren't very specific with what you meant then there's where headcanons start and then you got "DEEP SYMBOLOGY" fags who can't get to grasp a straight told story.

(me)

Writefag here, I've tried to write in a minimalist manner kinda what you express, but people get really confused, mostly because they try to look to much into it, then every mundane thing has to be important in their minds, so to compensate modern western writing has gotten rid of "Mundane stuff exposition" only leaving the stuff that's important for the plot, rendering everything into DEEP LORE writing.

You can't fucking win, it's some kind of paradox: the less you write the more "meaning" people will get out of it.

Animu examples but…

In other cases like FLCL, where the LORE is told straight to your face in 3 minutes around episode 4 or 5 which gives context to everything is just a case of people not paying attention.

In EVA the whole ending can be understood with two scenes, in episode 10 they find ADAM, in episode 22 IIRC, Gendo fuses ADAM with his hand, there, there's all the "Confusing" Evangelion ending explained, mind you, the directing IS a bit of a clusterfuck, and adding random cool shit among the actual meaningful shit didn't helped.

But I bet you these fuckers can't clear a simple middle school algebraic equation without getting confused.

A better example would be video games like Dark Souls. There is practically a cottage industry on YouTube for "Dark Souls lore speculation" videos.
The most famous of which is probably Vaatividya, but he is by no means the only one by a long shot

Dark Souls is the perfect example of joke LORE, the DEEP LORE is there but is mostly inconsequential and just there to give some worldbuilding.

Other great example is "The Secret History of Twin Peaks" accompanying book for the upcoming Twin Peaks season.
A comedic jab at modern series the same way the old did to Soap Operas, the mad ramblings of conspiracies and sheer entanglement of these are nothing short of hilarious, similar to the over acting of the drama in the original, just how many modern series use "DEEP LORE" spoonfeed world-building just to fanservice their head-canons rather than any actually usefulness for the plot.
At the end the book has enough theories to compete with any fanfiction.
Which is made more hilarious because Lynch admitted to not having read the book while making the new season at all, which makes all that DEEP LORE completely useless to the show, even if both Frost and Lynch worked together in the season.

Whenever I hear him reading that line I just think of this scene from the Return of the Caped Crusaders movie.

No other community has 20 minute fan videos dissecting the 2 sentence descriptions of assorted weapons and items.

They are absolute cancer in the MonHun community now. They came on board because they think they're good at "roll to dodge then attack" games all of a sudden, and get their shit pushed in because the dodge and weapon mechanics are actually mildly challenging, then obsess over the weapon lore.
The weapon lore is 100% made up in the western versions, and usually quite different from the Jap versions, which makes it better.

Im not a fan of its aperant lore because I hate what I call "Sufferingball" settings. Where the rules only change so you could suffer more forever.

Its not clever, its not nuanced, its not satisfying. If it was reversed into an opposite, you don't get a well told happy tale. You get a care bears utopia where the sun wears sunglasses and compliments you on your choice of crocks.

To be fair, my crocs are pretty sweet, and if the sun was sentient it would wear sunglasses so it doesn't blind itself when checking out my totes gnarly crocs.