2.5" vs 3.5" hdd - the ultimate solution of the hard drive choice

2.5" vs 3.5" hdd - the ultimate solution of the hard drive choice
2.5" pros:
-small inside PC, also allows you to have smaller case
-small and light when you need to transport it, can easily be put into jacket pocket
-quiet and low vibration
-low power
-can easily be hidden in your house when police knocks on your door (because it's small and thin)
-can be put into laptop and PC, or used as external drive
3.5" pros:
-big, can store a lot of terabytes
-heavier, less prone against damage
-harder to be stolen
-cheaper per terabyte
-can store a lot more on single platter

What is the ultimate form factor that we all should be using?

5.25" tbh

It depends on the form factor of the machine you're using. On a laptop, I want M.2 tbh 2.5" because it's smaller and so my laptop is smaller. At 2.5" I want an SSD of some kind, anyhow, especially because laptops aren't great at remaining stationary (and I don't want to ever use S3, it's insecure - I turn off my machine when I'm not using it). On a server, I don't care about the size or the power draw or the noise, I just want ""RAW POWER"", so I want 3.5" SAS drives. I don't know if most desktops support SAS though I think its backwards-compatible, but you probably don't care much about desktop noise or power either/

""This is a really pleb-tier thread.""
Who fucking cares what the form factor of the drive is? Does it affect the amount of CPU time reading the drive takes? Do FORTH blocks get exponentially more prone to err on a drive that's physically smaller? It's just a retarded thread to start, let alone to believe will lead to any real discussion. Nothing can come of this thread except autistic arguing over either the fact I prefer SSDs to HDDs, or some retard whining about HDD/SSD firmware backdoors and why older 3'5" are less likely to be backdoored (which tbh is probably true). Those are the two best outcomes for this thread.

Next time, post some code, instead

small desktop
but PC form factor aside, small hdd gives you possibilities, like you can hide it in your underwear or somewhere when police comes to your house. 3.5" is hard to hide.
also 2.5" is quiet and without vibrations

what??? on desktop it's very important, especially the noise. Ever used computer at night?

Me, but everyone should have

It's about 2.5" HDD vs 3.5" HDD, not SSD, as SSD are useless piece of shit for goys. (except some special situations like heavy video editing/compositing etc)

Not everyone is a 1337 c0d3r

Floppy disk is all you should ever need for home computer.

2.5" wins

8 inch master race reporting in.

If they are looking in your computer for it, they will look in your drawers for it at that point.

2.5 may be easier to shove up your ass though.

Then maybe not everyone should post here, /g/.

but since 2.5" is small you can hide it in better place. and they will expect 3.5" drive, not 2.5". also their time is not unlimited, they can't spend a week searching your home

If they are at the point they are searching your home, they don't need to spend a week doing it, they will clear you out in hours. Your body is no exception.

What with 4cuck pushing captcha v2 exclusively, this thread doesn't surprise me

so what's the ultimate choice? 2.5 or 3.5?

They unironically were more sturdy than nowadays flimsy hard disks.

M.2 NVMe is the only acceptable answer

2.5" internal vs 3.5" internal vs 2.5" external vs 3.5" external?

Micro SD - the form factor where you can literally shit secure data.

Sage for shit thread by 4chan or R​eddit fag

3.5"

Not true, 3.5 disks are more prone to damage than 2.5 ones. If you drop the bigger and the smaller from the same height, the bigger will most likely suffer more damage.

Shit insertion cycles

Not a big fan of 3.5" since they're a bit too chunky to wear on my lanyard

this
fuck your miniaturization I have a fucking ATX case not some soyboy meltdownbook

So, what 8ch consensus we got?

back to Holla Forums with you trash

thank you will think that

also what thickness?
there are 2.5" drives that are: 7mm 9.5mm 15mm 20mm
different number of plates

better two HDD's one plate, or one two-platter HDD? which is quieter?

bump

What 2.5'' HDDs are most cost-effective to buy, 1TB or larger? Are 2 1.5TB drives cheaper than 3 1TB drives?

Irrelevant, once you account for airflow and wiring
Valid, if you need to haul TBs of data. Even then it might be simpler to run "ssh 'tar c' | tar x" at night than bother with copying/moving/screwing HDD in. Or good-old USB-stick
Do not depend on form factor, but on RPM
Ditto
Irrelevant, not small enough for that purpose
Irrelevant. Do you plan to screw HDD out of PC every time you use laptop?

One pro.

Valid
Irrelevant, weight does not give shock resistance.
Irrelevant. Lock your fucking door
Valid
Repetition of (1) and (4)

So 1 for 2.5, 2 for 3.5.

3.5 is the solution.