Why Star Wars is NOT Reddit: An Essay

7 Page Essay Incoming. If that much text is TL;DR for you, please ignore this and move along.

I’m going to come out and say it, I love Star Wars. It’s one of my top favorite films, and it’s one of the few things in life I look forward to and keeps me going. Yet before even giving me a chance to explain my reasoning for it, Holla Forums users will be as fast as lightning to tell me to go back to Reddit, or to dismiss Star Wars as “Reddit” in itself. At first, this merely seemed along the lines of the edgy contrarianism found within Holla Forums, much along the lines of the insufferable Alien prequels being “kino”. It seemed like nothing more than a mindless meme, so I paid them no mind and figured it would just die down eventually. But it didn’t, and only gained traction across many other boards on Holla Forums. It got so expansive that an infographic arose to explain why the films are dismissed as “Reddit”. The infographic starts with this opening statement:

“When Star Wars discussion pops up on Holla Forums, many will rightly criticize the show for being “Reddit”, an observation that is often outright denied or criticized for being too vague. While “Reddit” is used disparagingly for a reason, the term could use some clarification. Put succinctly, “Reddit” is used as an adjective to describe a program with certain characteristics designed to appeal to the same audience that heavily uses Reddit. These characteristics are contrived enough that they are easy to spot, and are as follows:”

So I read each and every one of the points on the infographic, and needless to say, none of them made sense to me. These are nothing more than baseless accusations that observe Star Wars in a surface-level manner with even more ignorance than the gullible normies swarming into the film’s fanbase, which pose a significant grievance to the fanbase’s veteran members, myself included. Star Wars has a unique integrity to it that I don’t think deserves to be ignored by the “Reddit” dismissal. Therefore, I’m going to debunk each and every one of the points that substantiate the claim that “Star Wars is Reddit”, exposing them for the fraudulent accusations they truly are.

“Glut of surface pop culture references: A Reddit user’s cultural references are restricted to Hollywood science fiction films and other “nerdy” fictional worlds. While these works can display thoughtfulness on their own, Star Wars will often soullessly deploy their aesthetics and jargon (ray-guns, wormholes, etc) without any sense of wonder. The film is effectively signaling a creativity it does not possess while simultaneously comforting the viewers with familiarity. In lieu of actual memorable moments, Star Wars will occasionally also resort to specific references to established intellectual properties (“The Hidden Fortress”).”
To start, the assumption that Star Wars’s science fiction references are not only heavily relied upon for the majority of its substance, but also that they stem from predominantly popular and well-known products like Wizard of Oz or Shakespeare, seems to imply that Holla Forums users are making such an assumption from first glance of a few episodes, or worse yet, jumping right into episode 3 without having seen the rest of the show. While there are admittedly references to more popular science fiction works in the show, i.e. Flash Gordon, Star Trek, Dune, Buck Rogers and Metropolis, the amount of far more obscure science fiction works Star Wars alludes to is in far greater abundance. These include, but are not limited to, Foundation's Edge, New Gods, Metropolis, the films and cinematic style of Akira Kurosawa, Fritz Lang, Sergio Leone, John Ford, The Dam Busters, Battleship Potemkin, Buck Rogers, and quite a few Joseph Campbell references, including The Hero's Journey. And most of the previously mentioned references are from episode four alone, and were only the more prominent references to be listed compared to many, many others.

Fact of the matter is, Star Wars knows its sci-fi, and is profusely dense in its expanse of sci-fi. And it uses this to its advantage, utilizing a lot of B-movie and cult classic material to subvert either traditional societal mores, or even the source material itself. When it utilizes more popular science fiction references, it’s for the sole purpose of parody, which can be either direct or indirect, depending on the plot of the episode. A New Hope is a perfectly functional and very creative parody of The Hidden Fortress, going a step further than most Dungeons and Dragons type parody plots by exploring how such traveling technology could be fully capitalized on. Star Wars’s pop culture references are, in all actuality, quite rarely surface-level compared to the plethora of more obscure references that only hardcore science fiction enthusiasts will recognize upon first glance. Reddit’s attention span cannot possibly allow for such extensive trivia expertise.

I don't get this meme

The rick and mortgage guy was a funnier shitposter. This is second rate.

“Juvenile nihilism: Much like the denizens of r/atheism, Star Wars espouses the view that, since God is Dead, life is meaningless and all emotions are the result of strictly biological imperatives. This philosophy explains the film’s gratuitous violence and narrow view of a cold, uncaring universe. Rather than taking any joy in the art of expression, Star Wars assumes the passive attitude of an emotionally-maligned undergraduate who has just read his first Camus novel.”
I’m sorry, when has Star Wars ever explicitly stated that God is dead, or that life is meaningless?? Just because Han Solo is notorious for pontificating these blatant nihilistic broodings doesn’t mean that they reflect the attitude of the film itself. There’s a reason it’s called Star Wars, and not just Han Solo: The Movie, or whatever. What appears to be Han’s brand of nihilism is meant to be funny not because it’s pandered to fedora-adorned atheists via shameless preaching, but because of the results from the interactions Han has with other characters of the film, specifically their discomfort and confusion. At least, that’s what the results warrant at first. As the film progresses, Han’s influence on not just the people he’s around, but the very world they live in, takes an irreversible toll on them, as they involuntarily apply Han’s influence to themselves, albeit in their own unique way.

From being around Han the most, Chewbacca understands him the best, and the nature of Han’s influence can be perfectly described by Chewbacca in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. Just because Han is arguably the most genius man in the galaxy doesn’t mean that his particular genius is anything to aspire to. Many fantasize about possessing unstoppable vast intellects and argue that knowledge is power. Han’s intellect is a unique antithesis to this aspiration, deconstructing any notion that knowledge results in power, even when action is applied. However soul-crushing and hopeless as this may sound on the surface, Han’s actions indicate that he sees life not as meaningless, but a constant adventure that he must throw himself into in the name of smuggling, regardless of who’s affected along the way. In that sense, Han’s personal philosophy is not nihilism, but rather egoism, doing anything he wants without letting anything stand in his way.

In regards to the “God is dead” accusation, it’s implied in various instances in the film that Han’s personal brand of atheism is likely a forced reaction from what could possibly be a religious upbringing early in his life, or maybe just theological insecurity. Despite his nearly godlike unstoppable intellect, Han has had plenty of moments of weakness, reminding us that even his own vast genius cannot overcome his humanity, no matter how many times he insists he’s above it. His desensitization to the entirety of the force in his travels, in addition to the enigmatic emotional baggage he must carry from his cryptic past, must beget a perspective of the universe that does seem quite cold and uncaring, hence is the only way he believes he can cope with it.

All of this applies exclusively to Han and his character, not the attitude of the film itself.
(CTD)

Star Wars is truly the dullest franchise

wtf you mean you guys don't actually like rick & morty. just once I wish you guys would be consistent I can't handle too much irony it hurts my brain.

We get it, the Prequels ar eGOAT. Here's the official Holla Forums ranking for the uninitiated, from best to worst:

Rogue One
Episode II
Episode I
Episode III
Episode VI
Episode IV
Episode V
Episode VII

If you disagree kindly go back to reddit

It is.

Go the fuck back and stay there

What's next?
Why Harry Potter is NOT Reddit: An Essay bitch?

Harry Potter isn't reddit
Reddit likes water does that make it reddit

You like reddit, and that makes you reddit.

go back

TOP FUCKING KEK

4chan is reddit and 4chan (reddit) hates it

yeah, nice try there reddit, but you can go back to reddit

Prequelkino is accepted as kino lad

fuck off

Please remove yourself from existence, self loathing cuck who likes to watch his kind disapear from movies for strong wymenz, shitty chinks, pedros, and fan service.

OP, you will never convert me unless you prove that reddit is not reddit. As George Lucas has gone to post on reddit before, he is reddit. Therefore, if you fail to prove that reddit itself is not reddit, then your argument is null.

Prequelkino is dumb in and of itself, that is the whole point of the joke/meme.

Go back to ebaums world

It's one guy. And his waifu sucks.

Hey guys, it's me. The "essayfag" who wrote the original essay on why Rick and Morty is not Reddit. In all honesty, seeing it turn into a copypasta meme like this actually had me kekking my ass off. XD I've given up on actually trying to convince you brain-dead mongoloids of my point, though I never expected my essay to be turned into a meme. If there's one thing I know about memes, it's that they can only be killed by normie infestation, and nothing else. This is a hilarious meme, and I look forward to seeing it blossom. I fully endorse the "Why X is NOT Reddit: An Essay" meme from this moment on. Have fun memeing, you disgusting basement-dwellers! :D

Hey guys, it's me. The "essayfag" who wrote the original essay on why blacks fucking your wife is not Cuckoldry. In all honesty, seeing it turn into a copypasta meme like this actually had me kekking my ass off. XD I've given up on actually trying to convince you brain-dead mongoloids of my point, though I never expected my essay to be turned into a meme. If there's one thing I know about memes, it's that they can only be killed by normie infestation, and nothing else. This is a hilarious meme, and I look forward to seeing it blossom. I fully endorse the "Why X is NOT Cuckoldry: An Essay" meme from this moment on. Have fun memeing, you disgusting basement-dwellers! :D

Hi Holla Forums

week meems bru