DuckDuckGo all-in-one privacy extension

DDG tries to to simplify online privacy with the launch of fully revamped versions of their browser extension and mobile app, now with built-in tracker network blocking, smarter encryption, and private search – all designed to operate seamlessly together while you search and browse the web.

spreadprivacy.com/privacy-simplified/

TEST AND COMMENT

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/How-does-DuckDuckGo-make-money
surfraw.alioth.debian.org/
yacy.net/en/index.html
github.com/duckduckgo/duckduckgo-privacy-extension/blob/master/scripts/httpsWhitelist.js
duck.co/help/company/advertising-and-affiliates
spreadprivacy.com/privacy-simplified/
duckduckgo.com/lite/
duckduckgo.com/params
searx.instance/*//
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>(((ddg)))
>(((mobile app)))
>(((app to end all other privacy apps)))
pls no

If the FSF uses it, means there is no reason to discredit DDG.

The FSF doesn't recommend this new extension/app, but the old non-js search box.

At least, the code of this new extension is in github for all to see.

Where is the profit in this app. I don't trust anything made by a company unless I know how it makes money.

Good point. Exactly how does DDG make profit?

Quora says this
quora.com/How-does-DuckDuckGo-make-money

The only good privacy search engine is startpage, and for someone who wants news and shit, Qwant.
There are no other choices

You still fucking use google m8. Stop this shilling.

yacy would be the best if the index ever got larger enough, and searx is the best so long as you have a sufficient number of users or a trusted server.

Well yah, I meant this extention not the search engine, does it just encourage more people to use the search engine?

A couple other questions, what does this do better than say adnauseam, https everywhere, and decentraleyes, is it just that it's one extension, and has a privacy policy summaries. Doesn't seem like that would enough for anons (or atleast me) to switch.

I wasn't referring to the app, you were shitting on DDG itself.

The FSF recommends DDG merely because it's less shitty.

Somehow no one is able to create a basic honest web search in 2018 like the good old AltaVista. With Boolean expressions and other power user features. With consistent results for everybody. With a true number of results. With a programmatic access to results – without captcha.

StartPage is merely a shitty GUI for Google.
Unless it has changed since I tried it a few years ago.

I'm 100% with you user. However, how would this hypothetical search engine would make money???

Kill yourself.

How about charging a small amount of money to put a website into the search engine's directory? No web crawlers, just paid sites.

I can do that too, I mean you're trusting your trusting all your search queries to a 3rd parties corporate server. It's seems decent for now but who know how long that'll last.

Let me be a little more specific then:
ddg is a company, by the act of using ddg you're trusting a 3rd party company to the protection of your data, and they will only do so so long as it is in their interest.

Everything about mobile is shit, that's pretty self explanatory.

making a app that does slightly less than a combination of 3 privacy apps but make it slightly more convenient, so that people uninstall their other privacy apps is highly suspicious.

>(((DuckDuckBotnet))) has privacy extension
No.

Thank you for a good answer that doesn't use parenthesis and meme words.

How does Startpage help Google if the search results are through a proxy? The data Google gets will be from thousands of users on the same IP so it is too jumbled up to help them. It basically taxes Google servers while feeding them junk data.

It sets your default search engine to DDG. In phones it's an alternative to Google and only makes searches through DDG. Basically this makes them money by showing ads and possibly getting more users to donate money.
AdNauseam does absolutely nothing for your privacy. It's worse, in fact, since it sends requests to ad companies.
The extension seems to work just like HTTPS Everywhere (with a whitelist) instead of trying to force every connection through HTTPS.
As for Descentraleyes. The DDG extension does not provide that.
It's a mixed bag. So far it seems to be a mix of Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere and Lightbeam.

That's literally DuckDuckGo.

Do you honestly think that a megacorp like google would let a smallfry leech data freely? How difficult would it be for google to block startpage's access to it?

I know the guy behind DDG did some shady data collection shit years ago, but he seems to be doing good work now. What's the explanation?

Yeah, you're right. In fact years ago they blocked Scroogle from proxying their results.

The only information AdNauseam sends is a ajax request to adserver and then doesn't run any response. They also block trackers, although not in the same manner as PrivacyBadger which does a better job imo because it creates its own block list.

There is money in privacy atm.

pick one

There isn't as much money but if you want to make a competitive search engine now it's the only option.

Just thinking out loud here: is the only way to make a private search engine not the web? i.e. via command line, specific app (desktop/mobile)

Sure is cuckchan in here.

searx you nigger retard

Searx is good but it can't handle big traffic. Periodically it shuts down to encourage people to run their own instances of it.

surfraw.alioth.debian.org/
Julian Assange made something for interfacing with search engines over command line, it just sort of loads of the response in a browser though.
yacy.net/en/index.html
Is a p2p search engine although last time I checked (quite awhile ago) it didn't really have enough indexed.
You can use these two together if you like to have quick search from terminal to a p2p network and maybe open in eww, lynx, or something similar.
Not sure if this was exactly your question.

So host your own instance for you and your friends???
That's the whole point user.

1. DDG doesn't show the number of results at all. At least Google shows a fake number... it's better than nothing.
2. I'm not aware of an official DDG API for programmatic access to results. And the web page itself is (I believe) protected from programmatic access.
3. I haven't seen Boolean queries in DDG.

How about shifting some hosting/processing burden on user devices? Anyone remember Napster? Peer-to-peer technology is still possible. Especially in the era of blockchain. Invent searchcoin, defeat Google and become a zillionaire...

I would suggest having a (cheap, like a dollar per year) paid user subscription with more features than just the default anonymous searching if you have no account. You have a paid account, then you can filter all of your search results by different criteria. Not just domain names, but also tags and keywords. Want to not list known sjw sites? There are tags for that - sjw-owned and sjw-community, and you can filter them out. Enjoy your now sjw-free search results. Have every site or page manually curated from user submissions and a webcrawler for real fucking results, and normalfags would love how good their search results turn out compared to the shit Jewgle spits out. Just removing forum threads where someone asks a question and replies "nvm, solved it" and keyword spam and links to other sites' search engines that returned 0 fucking results anyway would help tremendously.

No ads on the site, no paying (bribery really) to get a higher listing and shit, just counting on the fact that this is a search engine with a feature that people would pay for. Normalfags aren't good at extracting the best results from Google, and Google gives shitty results a lot of the time anyway unless you know exactly what you're looking for. While it would be a huge endeavor, and require manpower, I think curated results based on usefulness (no politics involved, let the people decide if they want to filter offensive or tiggering shit) and acknowledging that people know best what they want their own results to look like, not an algorithm, would gain a massive following once it caught on. Advertising the search engine would be difficult too, I don't know how you'd get the word out. Advertising on cuckchan (like DDG did) and on here would probably be a good place to start. Maybe on plebbit too, if they have ads.

Really?

Who sponsores CCJ?

Is it open sources?

lol people are so fucking cheap and yet simultaneously shocked by all the low quality garbage they are surrounded by.

How can the entire internet be indexed and searched quickly without millions of dollars in hardware and bandwidth? I like the idea of P2P and as someone else said a type of digital coin. Mining for this new coin will be done by crawling webpages and building the index for the search engine.

>muh (((cryptocurrencies))) will solve anything
It won't scale

It says right in the description that it's a glorified search bar. Sending all your searches through DDG is the angle here.

github.com/duckduckgo/duckduckgo-privacy-extension/blob/master/scripts/httpsWhitelist.js
Can this be exploited by making a custom crafted issue?
Maybe you can cause it so servers without SSL or improperly set up can not be accessed?

you sound like a typical modern scientist

This might be the worst idea imaginable. Why would sites pay an obscure search engine just to be listed as a result? Why would people use an engine that is almost guaranteed to have fewer and shitier results than an engine like google? I truly hope you're just pretending to be retarded.

It's really sad to see all these fucking /g/ retards shitting up this board... where to next?

I suspect it's only temporary. If you want to leave after that just look around for awhile you'll find it.

I've had this issue before. It simply chokes too often. I almost think the people who recommend searx don't actually use it.

Where is the source code?

there's a github link in the last paragraph you fucking monkey

Looking at the website and the DuckDuckGo website it looks like a bunch of carefully crafted, non-binding lawyer-talk and non-binding, round-tabled PR statements. May god have mercy on them.

Duh.
That's why i am not using CCJ
What data is (((Gabriel Weinberg))) talking about?
because everyone started using fingerprinting and metadata analysis, given enough information your full identity can be found out with 99.9% accuracy.
What a surprise.
Really?

DuckDUckGo is a commercial corporation, so how is Gabriel Weinberg making money?
IF YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR IT, THEN YOU ARE THE PRODUCT

1. They sell search result spots
In that case you get corporate garbage instead of accurate, representative search results
2. They sell metadata
In that case they sell your information, everything short of your IP and your address, etc.

CuckCuckJew - The search engine that doesn't track you*.
*Only your metadata ;-D

Use self hosted Searx or GTFO

Here's his they make money: duck.co/help/company/advertising-and-affiliates

The problem with DDG is that it's just another centralized entity, at some point it will ultimately turn out like google and we will be fucked has always, the only way to not fall in that pit again is to have decentralized search engines.

>spreadprivacy.com/privacy-simplified/
Learn to read you slav prisoner faggot

For the main site, it works 95% of the time. The only part which is pretty broken is searching for images, where it only loads some of the images. Usually enough load that I can get what I need. I guess it's somewhat common that on regular searches it fails and returns only 30 results, but usually they include what I'm looking for. I've been using searx almost exclusively for several months with little issues in getting what I'm looking for.

This is a bad idea. It would be like using your personal vps as a vpn

Searx's whole principle is security through obfuscation so yah, hosting a personal instance is a bad idea, hosting a instance for people you know is a good idea though, because none of you have to put your trust in someone you don't know and you all get your traffic obfuscated together.

nextchan

>>>/pone/

I'm not going to install any addons, but I like their "Lite" site:
duckduckgo.com/lite/

The /HTML/ is not bad either.

When combined with the knowledge from duckduckgo.com/params it is the best shit I've found for search. Don't have to enable no cookies, scripts or XHR.

Sadly Searx is not optimal. I'm guessing they struggle not to get blocked or are by bubble or purposely being fed crappy results.

DDG's lite site is good, but it still doesn't allow to search images. Why? Their non-JS site also doesn't allow to search images. It's frustrating.

Thing is open sores, they wouldn't risk ruinning their name over such a small thing. So it's a positive, it's not as complete as a full privacy set of the right addons, and does not pretend to be. But it has some decent functionalities, and the fact that it shows the amount of tracking you're subject to in a more newb-friendly way than, say, umatrix, is going to raise some awareness.
Nothing to cry about, even if you're not a fan of DDG.

I use Searx for image search, with a userscript to show a source button. Kill JS with JS.

// ==UserScript==// @name searximgsrc// @namespace searx// @description Show View Source below images// @include searx.instance/*// @version 1// @grant none// ==/UserScript==if(document.getElementById("checkbox_images").getAttribute("checked") === "checked") add_source_fields();function add_source_fields(){ var entries = document.getElementsByClassName("result result-images"); for(var i=0; i < entries.length; i++) { var img_e = entries[i].getElementsByTagName("A")[0]; var src_e = entries[i].querySelector(".modal-footer").getElementsByTagName("A")[1]; img_e.parentNode.insertBefore(src_e, img_e.nextSibling); }}
Unfortunately Firefox fucks with Web Extensions not being able to use storage if network.cookie.cookieBehavior=2, so every time I have to use userscripts I have to disable the addon, set it to 1, enable the addon, then set it back to 2. Fucking annoying.

I don't trust DDG because it's based in the USA. I'd rather use Startpage, SearX, or Qwant.

Advertisements mostly. Atleast that's what David said in an interview. He said that tracking people for advertisements is a myth. Don't know how much depth there was to that article. But hey that's the best the public knows.

If you use DDG you might as well be using Jewgle. There's no difference at this point.

Yeah man. I mostly use Qwant or SearX. Startpage if I need very accurate results.

Search engines were a mistake.

I disagree. They are the portal to finding new things on the Internet. You wouldn't find this website if you didn't have a search engine.

I feel like they make me lazy.

Really? Cool. You must be hardcore self made IRL. You think the most basic portal to the internet makes you lazy.

>(((ddg)))
tbh the results were pretty okay
and the controls were good
The problem is the company itself. No different than wikipedia sellout goyim
Use searx but don't trust anything not even yourself.

But that's wrong. I found this site because someone on another chan mentioned it. I found chans because someone on a game forum mentioned them. I found that game forum in the late 90's because someone on Usenet mentioned it. I found that Usenet newsgroup just by looking through the list of game-related groups on my ISP's nntp server.
Also, there used to be alternatives to search engines: directories like yahoo and dmoz, web rings, and pretty much everyone's homepage had a "links" section.

I believe the data-mining is about something entirely different as well.

I knew you were going to steal this idea.

Thanks.

What's bad about using VPS as VPN?

It's 'aight out of 10, but I end up using the !/g/ prefix quite a bix.

I see you are quite a bix nood

You are the only one person using it, compared to public vpn services/searx instances where at least few hundred other people are using the same server, so the data blends in.

sounds like nice MitM setup

DuckDuckGo is in competition with Google so it makes sense for them to be a privacy focused alternative or else no one would use it and they wouldn't make any money.