libreboot.org/suppliers.html
fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
youtube.com/watch?v=zYY3n4YWvFo
pi-top.com/static/pi-top-open.c6a9b0d0.jpg
pi-top.com/static/pi-top-front.9b851c1e.jpg
pi-top.com/static/pi-top-side.3b11b10f.jpg
up-shop.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it doesn't matter. They regulated to thinness, lightness and compactness to the very last, it's a convergent design that focus on function, not form.

Does it though? I can understand lightness but thinness isn't exactly a completely functional design - it reduces the variety and amount of components that can be put in a machine, especially battery. Also, the structual integrity can be greatly reduced by thinness.
There are different ways a machine can be "more" functional.

There is a startling lack of logic in some places. It really seems, at a minimum, that the people who design these machines do not actually use them. It is very likely that the design of these machines is decided by businessmen instead of engineers and ergonomists.

People are retards and they want laptops that look a certain way. That is all they care about. And there are so many of these simpleminded people out there, and they are just dying to hand over money for any bullshit that looks "good."

We are outnumbered by the retards. There is no longer a manufacturer that produces a laptop that meets the needs of a real user. We're totally fucked really.

You know all of this. We all do. We're not actually trying to figure out why this is happening. We just want to whine about it with other like-minded people. So yeah, I think this shit sucks too. It makes me angry and sad.

Unfortunately, if you want a laptop with modern hardware, your least shitty option is going to be a gaymen laptop. If you want something with a truly decent form, you have to settle for outdated hardware.

the average goy is not a fan of these.
when i was in the military we got a box of these that took a 200ft fall onto a runway out of a helicopter to check them out. they all worked fine.

Just use an old Thinkpad.

You overestimate our collective sexual prowess

THIS
you telepathically typed my thoughts user.

Sounds like my experience right before chrismas. Approximately same amount of "different" laptops, but basically all the same boring shit. I even made a point to see if they even had a single ARM chromebook in that mess, but nope, nada. Just a big pile of Intel/AMD shits.
Anyway I didn't want to buy a laptop, I had already made up my mind back then that an ARM SBC would be a better choice. I'm done with laptops, and I'm done with Intel architecture forever.

Yeah, I know. You feel threatened because they market their product at hipsters and neoliberals. But if you weren't crippled by prejudice you would actually appreciate the effort they do for free (and still modern, retard-friendly) computing.

Can't wait until more of them go on the used markets because retarded companies buy Toughpads and other tabletfaggotry.

Kill yourself Lunduke.

You mean thinshit is a focus on form, not function.

Good old planned obsolescence and contrived durability. Despite what you may have been told, the market doesn't magically settle on the most efficient, time-tested, best designs. It settles on the ones that demand the most replacement, that ensure maximum consumerism and profitability.

If you are willing to pay from $2000 to $4000 for a laptop like real Thinkpads used to be priced at ten years ago and beyond without taking inflation into account, you still can get a non-flat keyboard, lotsa legacy ports good resolution and real titanium chassis that survives table drop.

Buy a Macbook Pro then.

Because all the designers today are 'what's a computer' computing-illiterate millenials

Ti chassis? Where? Pretty sure the only laptops with one were the T2x ThinkPads and Applel's TiBook.

I had to get a new laptop for uni stuff
I actually wanted a touchscreen, since it's handy to write notes over pdf.
I was lucky to find a 256 SSD/ 4GB RAM/ i5 8250u/1080p ASUS laptop for 700€, but it was a nightmare finding it
RAM isn't soldered and I have another slot free

I feel like computer tech is going backward. I bought my Thinkpad in 2011 and it has an I5 with 4GB RAM and a 500GB HDD, and that's not big enough.
Is this actually a thing? Why would you solder the RAM?

cheaper

Well yes I know why. It was meant to be rhetorical. But thanks anyway :)

Yeah, but it's an SSD, so it's worth it
Also eight gen i5 are MUCH more powerful that older gens. Also 15W TDP

Not in my opinion, my laptop is plenty fast. There are two upgrades my laptop needs. More RAM and a larger hard drive.

think about the average american consumer. you have to describe computers to them like an idiot.
you also have to sell them as if they are idiots.
they are idiots.
look at the ipod shuffle 4th gen...no real breakthroughs in tech, just a battery and and memory

Because technology does not care about creativity. Technology always causes ad leads to mass conformity.
Because mass production is most efficient when all products are nearly the same to maximise output.

Examples:
TV's
Smartphones
Cars
Books
Netflix shows
Box office movies
Pop music
Consumer clothing
Shoes
Memes
Plastic chairs
Aluminum cans
Plastic bottles
Fastfood/junkfood
Video games
Metropolitan housing
Sewing machines
Viral Youtube videos
Cryptocurrencies
etc
etc

You mean, cardboard shack sprawls mistakenly called "suburbs"?

General capacitive touchscreen, unless it is pen-sensitive like Wacom or it's copies is pure garbage. You don't need that especially if the device is not a convertible. And ram is soldered due to cartel price grow, you'd spend 200 bucks on same amount if bought as spare sticks.

See pics related.

What OP experienced was technological alienation.
Technology offers the illusion of identity and freedom, while in fact everyone in the technological society forms a coherent whole with the same behavior lacking originality and creativity.

Enjoy the cookie cutter house while you can, the future is living in a pipe lol.

hahaha

To be fair, the car market seems to be the last true consumer-oriented market.
But it's changing.
About the autistic photos of buildings, blame Modernism and Brutalism, which are Marxist architectural movements.

i noticed that but i checked out ebay and you can still get toughbooks for way cheaper. $50-$200.
I'm sure they're a few years old, but whatever. It's never going to be a beast anyway and it doesn't have to be, it's not a desktop replacement. you can however throw them at a wall and have a high degree of certainty that little damage will be done.

that ellul quote is at least 200 years late but could be as much as 10,000 years late

looks like somebody has been taking a large serving of uncle ted's

The last part should be: "We are harmful to technology." --> "Technology compensates for our existence."

Are all these philosophical posts by the same guy? Because they don't make much sense to me. It seems like he is trying to a square peg into a round hole.

Did he recently come across this philosophy? Is he just looking for any excuse to inject it into conversation?

That infographic is more wise than the childish graphics would suggest.

Funny.

Here's more for ya.

Good stuff. Saved it.

Both communism and capitalism follow a technological society as the end goal.
Technique is free of politics. In fact ideology prevents technology from functioning optimally.

I dont know. I only made a couple of posts on Holla Forums.
Gonna try anyway. Its not efficient tho. Exactly the opposite of what technique demands of me.
I've been studying Jacques Ellul for the past 4 years. Will take at least a decade before I have finished reading all his works. When I discovered him for first time I quit programming and computer engineering at Uni and focused on farming instead.
I quit programming and
Yes. To be honest I am just picking low hanging fruit.

"Everything that is touched by technique is turned into a machine, even the human soul" -Ellul

Not that technique is not just a collection of individual machines. It is a way of behaving and a way of thinking that is dominated by the notions of efficiency, speed, and quantity by sacrificing effectiveness, contemplation, and quality.

The only goal of technological progress is technological progress.
Whatever progresses tech is invented, whatever is invented progresses tech.

Are super old Thinkpads still the most modern laptops you can get without shit design?

Being fragile isn't very good fuction.

Define super old, T2x, T4x or T6x?

That said, Toughbooks are about the least shit modern computers you can get.

I have to say that the 31's BLKB isn't bad either, certainly not on a level of a Bento Box ThinkPad but still.

Good, you didn't fall for the fake dichotomy.
Truth lies outside of them, the third way and the strive for higher existence.

The T400 can be a light gaming and design machine (OpenMW, Xonotic, redeclipse, minetest, Krita) and still perform great with 8GB RAM and SSD. Install Libreboot too.

It's a convertible and pen sensitive

Different needs I guess
I have a good rig at home with enough space so I torrent shit and play games there
If I need something I will just share it between the two machines, but I don't really need them on the go
I need more ram though
have you ever tried our lord and saviours SSDs, I just cant get back after upgrading, especially after my last laptop hdd died after a 30cm fall

I have a slim Toshiba business laptop from 2014 i bought for those reasons. It was all fine and dandy until the keyboard started acting up because the adhesive it's fixated with got weaker.
Replacing it meant ripping the rest of it out and basically glueing a new one in there, and a year later I'm stuck with the same problem, half the keys not working because the keyboard started to loosen again. If I want to use the Enter key for example, I need to press the keyboard down near the Space bar and wiggle the whole thing until I get lucky.

I've replaced the thing with a corebooted X230 that's a year older.

fuck off >>>Holla Forums

Suburbs are comfy, I can't see the reason why you folks don't likely them.

Dude, you're on 8ch, this entire place is Holla Forums

Imagine living in a city except the cost of living is higher, there's nowhere to go in walking distance, and your neighbors are probing you 24/7 for minor infractions. Suburbs take the worst aspects of living in a city and the country with none of the positives. There's nothing comfy about it, you can't even do something with your own yard without jumping through hoops. And no suburbs don't keep niggers out. If you live in a White suburb that means you probably live in an appreciably White part of the United States already. Places in Commiefornia might ironically be the exception to that.

soulless little boxes where people pretend to live a soap opera life like they see on teevee and facebook, neglected kids who grow up in their isolated little bedrooms and end up spending their youth on computers, consoles or smartphones.
there's no actual organic community, it's just a way for rich people to escape the inner cities.

As a non-American, I've always wondered, how would it be to grow up in a suburb? Do kids go on exploring the neighborhood? Do parents drive them to kindergartens or are those in a walking distance? Well, at least they have schools in size of small town where adolescents can compensate the lack of diverse environment by participating in club activities and such.
All my uncertainty is because most American movies and soap operas don't exaggerate the vastness of a soulless desert McMansion sprawl SUV dystopia, their characters usually live in a comfy peaceful hybrid exurban town with local businesses, bars, small shops, parks, deep forests and green fields surrounding it, as I assume are prevalent in historic East Coast areas.

The truth lies in the center, a third position if you will.

There's two types of suburbs in the US, there are suburbs in small towns that surround larger cities, as you would expect to find in the historic northeast, and then there are cities that were built after the introduction of the automobile. In the case of the former, most everything is usually in walking distance. I grew up myself in the suburbs, in a small town in the northeast.

You mean lower? Land in cities is absurdly expensive.
That's true everywhere there are neighbors.
It's literally the best of both - the amenities, opportunities, and the joy of maintaining one's own property without the absolute emptiness of the country.

Would a smallish town of around 6,000 in the South/Midwest fall into suburb territory? I've never really given that much thought since I assumed suburb just meant residential area inside city limits.
It's not that empty, but it does depend on how far from town you are. You do sometimes get paranoid about random noises when you're the only one in the house though. I can't imagine how bad it'd be for someone in a truly isolated place.

mistake #1
I agree that the design process is basically "how can we make a macbook at a third of the price?" but as long as there are business laptops, you can always score something with half decent build quality. If you want a laptop for gaming...I'm sorry.

sure explains muh guns

It depends on the location relative to a city, by definition, suburbs surround cities, and their inhabitants usually commute to cities. A lot of northeastern cities have satellite villages with suburbs, and their residents commute to the city.

More like /x/.
Muh guns is more of them being useful for hunting than self-defense in rural places, though it certainly still serves that purpose even if it's mostly against rattlesnakes
Honestly though, using your backyard as a shooting range is one of the best things about living in the middle of nowhere, that and doing your own fireworks.

The truth lies in the rejection and non-participation of all politics. The non-position if you will.

A politician is a technician who uses technical applications to control the masses in the form of obsessions about statistics, propaganda, and psycholoical means.
Politicians are the servants of technology. By applying a pedagogic technique on mass man in the forms of various tests such as career aptitude tests, intelligence tests, group aptitude tests, and other such psychological tests, and so on.
The technicians of society effieciently regulate the technological society on a mass scale, like that of a herd of cows.
But the politicians themselves are not free either, for they too are under the control of technology. They must do what technology expects of them or else they will be rejected by the system.
Educators, scientists, and innovators too are mere slaves of technology.
In their school and during their education they have been trained and thought to behave and think in terms of technique.
They are so conditioned by their education that they have no freedom.
They simply do without deep thinking, that what they have learnt, causing originality and creativity to erode leading to mass conformity.

Why is secure boot a problem again? You literally just flick a switch in the UEFI setup and it's disabled. If you still want to have it, you can even add your own custom keys so your triple disk encrypted hardened Gentoo install can't be fucked with from a LiveCD.

The problem is the technical capability to disable the secure boot bypass.

Here goy, wear this collar around your neck. Don't worry, you can disable the GPS tracker inside by pushing this button, but you CAN NOT TAKE OFF THE COLLAR.

You dumb butt fucking cunt.

Why would you want to take it off? (assuming it’s comfortable and reasonably stylish, and you don’t stand out in a bad way)

Well, it might accidentally detonate if you drink SystemD juice.

As an American GenX that grew up in a primarily white suburb, my public indoctrination centers were within 1 mile of home. I walked to each one of them from age 8-18. Sometimes I hitched a ride on the back wheel bolts of a neighbor's bicycle. Sometimes I'd go to the local minimart to play an arcade game or buy candy with my lunch money, which wasn't very good and only marginally better than the home made 20 grain bread sandwich lathered with butter and a single slice of bologna.
The neighborhood was our playground. During the day, we'd play baseball at the intersection of four corners, or street hockey, or jump our crappy bikes off a hobbled wooden ramp, then ghost ride the bike down a steep hill just for laughs. During summer nights, we'd play team tag on a suburban block... fences, backyards, and roofs be damned. More than once, we destroyed a floral plot or a rikity garage roof, but there was a lot of trust with our neighbors because we'd help each other fix our houses, watch the pets or kids while away, be on call for the elderly, and have summer block parties, so it balanced out our destructive shenanigans.

This is an inspiring story, gramps. As a GenZ that grew up in a commuter town ('"""suburb"""") in the current millennia, I had the privilege of having my public laundering operations within walking distance too. Though I couldn't walk home, because what if something bad happened to me? Then that would mean the school would get sued! Walking up was melancholy. All of my friends parents were borderline absentee too and we were too acclimated to loneliness to have any energy for being kids. There's nothing in town either. It's all shops and super expensive restaurants preying on the status-insecurity of the middle class. During the day we'd go to school to teachers that didn't give a shit, because of administrators that didn't give a shit, because of a superintendent that was corrupt. After that, we'd sneak off home for a 5 minute walk (most kids lived far away, sprawled all over), and then part ways. I'd jump on the computer to play ROBLOX or lurk 4chan. It's something that has stayed with me all of these years, despite my attempts to quit. Multiplayer games and fast-moving forums let me fill that need for socialization, that otherwise would've lead me to poorer decisions. No one "hangs out," they just stay in their homes. I don't even want to be here and I've tried to leave, but I find myself coming back here for comfort. Something nothing else brings. All the kids were the same. Ranging from differing levels of emotional neglect, you could predict what they did in their off time based on their families wealth. The poor, they misbehaved and did dumb shit like jump into quarry ponds, freestyle fight... Ah I don't want to go on, this is turning into a blogpost.

Do suburbs still exist? How can it be possible with such a terrible economy?

/thread

Guess you guys didn't get into the whole pokemonGo thing huh?

My corner of the world if a little different. We never hear how the other side lives.

I take it there was no 'scene' in this town? No default location you'd just see random kids you know?

PS:
Working on a diy kit for laptops.
Kind of thing you can fit a desktop MB in and ghetto water cooling. CNCed wood and aluminum.
Interest?

Did you have boomer parents? how did they feel about technology?

Heh, we're young, but not that young.
It's a wonderful thing meeting new people and getting their perspectives. I met many youths my age at a foreign relations festival. All shapes and shades (mostly white), and they all seemed happy and hopeful for the future. Average guys enjoying life. Going every weekend to party with their lads and try to get laid. Not a care in the world, compared the Americans. Even the Norks were quite cheerful, despite their circumstances.
What little attractions that would captivate the fleeting attention of children, needed the always out of reach automobile. Those were the only places that were "public."

What's the play here, gramps. You doing market research on the spendthrift youth of today?

Curses! And I would have gotten away with it too!

Nah. I'm learning cad. + My laptop's hinge is busted. If I'm going to go to the trouble of building a replacement case I might as well put the files up on github.

Want to basically take one big chunk of wood. Hollow it out and cut off the sides with a cnc machine and sand belt the rest of it. I reckon I can do the entire thing in just 3 parts. Simple one sided screen, + base + keyboard mount.

Ah yes. Fucking transport. Could change in a few years if everyone has access to the family self driving tesla... but part of going somewhere is privacy. Or at least the option of being alone exploring a place. Not so easy if daddy is tracking you with the car's app. So... maybe no change?

Was thinking of the pokemon go thing since I've always wanted to do an app that only works in certain locations. "Go hang out in this abandoned mall to play the next level of candyPussCrush" etc

Also wtf is a nork? Where do you live? Fucking Isengard?

I better explain: Internet is great for consuming culture. But it's complete. Forums just don't cut it. At some point you have to go to the concerts, go to the bars. Talk to other fans. Get other 'live' perspectives. That sort of thing. Forcing people to go meet in person to 'unlock' the next level is a good excuse to meet others.
(That or the most cynical way bar owners have found to trick new customers into showing up to 'exclusive' events)

Nice meme. Profits are higher than ever.

You don't care about culture, you just want to socialize.

CAD's been getting pretty hot recently (unlike hobbies ;). All the old machine operators are dying off and new blood needs to flow in. Don't know how useful those files would be considering the the two tiny overlapping circles that are CAD-literate GitHub browsers and those with the same laptop as you. But eh, doesn't matter does it? They'll be probably see some use for someone.

Norks, my man. North Koreans.

The value of this has been lost. Now it's just too expensive and unrewarding for the average youth to attend.

For the few. The S&P has just recently surpassed its highest profit margins of 2014 and the bull run doesn't seem anywhere near out of steam (the same cannot be said confidently for crypto ;). However, the U.S gini coefficient is beyond abysmal, and the lowest of all amongst the developed world (even the third world).

Why not both?
Most of the people I know don't have any overlap with the stuff I consume. Too many choices and too many cultural silos. Even a subject as tame as sci-fi would be considered 'niche'
by mr Jo Average. And just try to explain what a GNU is to them.
So conversations are limited to online with strangers, and meet-ups. Have not tried that in months. ~Sadface~

Oh thank fuck for that! Urban dictionary: "nork
A furious bout of anal sex, often without lube."

Heh. I want to make the inside so large makers will be able to fit TWO motherboards and a mechanical keyboard in there!

Guess there's just too much content on local screens competing for attention... Was kinda worried this idea was basically gamifying, or worse, gatekeeping access to these nuggets of culture... but fuck it. Pain in the ass to build so wont bother.

lol I can make shapes. I just don't know how to assemble them together!

It's even funnier when you consider "norks" is slang for breasts in Australia.

The Shire my man! And here we like to paarrrtyyy!

Modern laptops are tablet hybrids. Its.all to prevent us from utilizing hardware.

The fuck do you live, breh? Is this some kind of ARG larping?

It was in China.

I want a laptop with 12-16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD, 1080p display, good GPU, not overpriced and no gaming neckbeard shit.

Is it that hard to find a laptop that is a) not a completely overpriced "business modell", b) not a autistic rainbow colored "gaming machine" and c) doesn't cost like 2000 bucks.

You're gonna have to build that one yourself.

inb4 Alienware

I found a website.

~800€

I think I'll actually buy it

Feels good to be an autist.

Feels bad to be an autistico

Fist-sized pixels. Why are cuckchanners so fixed on 1080p displays? LCD technology actually proceeded since 2006. Anything under QXGA or UHD 16:10 is unacceptable.

So any recommendations for a laptop that isn't total shit for the price then? Just want to browse web and write text files on it.

Not everyone needs that you fag. My current laptop from like 2012 has a 720p display and I am doing fine. I don't play games I want to work with it. AutoCAD, Rhino3D, Potoshop, Lightroom Illustrator. Thats why I need it.

Pretty sure that's called not being retarded.

any used thinkpad will be fine

yep. t420s are under $200, throw in a ssd and get the ram to 8gigs and you're good to go.
i had a normalfag ask me
and of course when i showed her a thinkpad:
so i can confirm, normalfags will spend money they don't have to buy a lower spec laptop as long as it's 'light' and 'pretty'

forgot to mention, it was going to sit on a desk 90% of the time, so the idea that needed to be less than an inch thick was even more absurd

i hope you showed her the x220

for 800$ you can easily buy a used carbon x1 or >x250

This is pure cancer. They are always nigger-tier tn panels and this display res is absolutely useless especially with the flat cancer and muh minimalism that wastes huge screen area for 'breathing space'. Acceptable for a 9-11" display but youre seeing 14 or 15 inch displays with this shit

The worst thing about laptops is they're not heavy enough when you want to tie one to its latte sipping soyboy owner and throw them in the river.

Look on eBay for an “as is, no os, etc” machine like a Thinkpad. Just get one that definitely boots to BIOS. I snagged an i7 Dell Precision m4700, put in a flash storage module for os, and swapped the disc drive for a caddy that holds a hard drive (& is hotswappable). I believe it was ~$3,000 new 5years ago. It’s wholly sufficient and I was in $300.

And don't forget the fact it makes the machines nigh-impossible to fix or get parts for. Fucking Apple and their shitty 'solder everything' design inspiring everyone.

I have an old Toshiba Satellite from 2008 and it still runs fine. HDD and RAM have been replaced long ago. Even the CPU is now replaced with a faster one, and when the screen got fucked I found an almost identical model (albeit with AMD cpu instead of Intel) sold as-parts for $20 + shipping on Ebay.
Did the screen replacement in minutes and now I have a full set of repair parts too: keyboard, misc ribbon cables, wifi card, modem card, touchpad buttons (they're thankfully separate from the touch area, unlike those fugly clickpads), even a secondary battery which has around 85&% capacity compared to my original '08 one which still holds a charge! (15% - so it can survive 10-15 mins give or take).
One of the best purchases ever. And the system still runs strong, even after some thuds and hits - and a short when I inserted an SD card once (system smoked and everything, the only thing that died was a ribbon cable that connected the media keys - it was the 'fuse' that saved the other parts. Easily replaced with my repair parts set).

Fuck having to get newer, shitty ass hardware. Each new gen of CPUs manages to suck more than the previous one. Running updated Linux kernel here (so meltdown/spectre workaround is on) and I don't notice any huge performance drop.

That is the miserable shame of the modern world.
There has always been an imbalance, but the retards never had any money or any voice to speak with, so they were thankfully not considered. They lived separate existences while the people of intelligence sought out higher pursuits.
Computers used to be a very elite thing, that no normal user could understand. There was a required level of motivation and thought capabilities to using and maintaining one.
Those were better days. It meant that all software had to fulfil criteria such as "no bugs", and things had to be the best, or they were simply rejected.
"I'm not buying this rubbish" and discarded.
They were also a lot more expensive, and had more limited applications. So fewer people would ever consider touching one.
Laptops are shit, they are moneymakers. The majority are designed for retards to take their money off them because they think they need one, because they saw one on a film. The minority are designed for businessmen, and are boring, plain, and low powered. Designed be disposable after a year, as the large companies do that with all tech.

That's why it isn't worth spending any money on a good laptop, as it will be a disappointment. There are some budget laptops, and it is better to go for one of those and think of it as a disposable item that you don't care about. If you want a computer that works, build a decent tower pc, and avoid any components made within the last year, so you aren't ripped off.

Most of the 15" laptops in normal price ranges use this resolution by default. It makes no sense, it can't save them that much money.
I have a feeling that they made a huge surplus of these shit resolution screens, thinking they would become a standard, and for the past 5 years they have been using them up in any laptop under 600.

Buy a real computer and a cheap second-hand business laptop.
90% of your time will be spent using a powerful, pleasant to use computer.
10% using a functional laptop that didn't cost much.

blame mobilecucks

To be honest it's more pleasant to lie on the couch with the laptop than it is sitting in a chair with the desktop.

It's been a plague for a lot longer than that.

This post needs to be capped and made into a banner.

The worst part is that 1600x900 panels exist, and were common years ago. They're way fucking better than those barely better than 720p screens.

had this problem a few weeks ago. Laptop is six years old, and none of the in-store products had any specs better than mine outside of harddrive storage, which big whoop because externals. Some even removed features, like amount of usb ports, whatever that non-HDMI video port is called, and the DVD drive of all things. And they were all around the price I paid for my current computer. With your experience in consideration, it looks like they're trying to hide stagnation with redesigned chassis

Anything with something that doesn't have 10 publicly known backdoors?

Well, it's basically that. Apple makes some THIN machine that is 0.03nm thinner than the previous one and everyone goes apeshit.

Thin laptops suck, they're fragile and components aren't as replaceable.
Even ports are reduced - with Apple now having one miserable USB-C port in some of their systems, meaning you can't charge the system while using another device unless you have a fugly dongle.

As for that video port, it's VGA. Intel removed VGA support in the latest architecture, apparently. That's fucking dumb.

there's your problem

Problem with the average "old Thinkpad" is that it's vulnerable to all the severe security holes that were revealed over the past year (ME, AMT, CPU (Meltdown/Spectre), WiFi (KRACK), Bluetooth (Blueborne) etc.) and will never get patched because Lelnovo and other OEMs don't give a fuck and won't release updated firmware, drivers or other fixes. For now trying to mitigate risk by employing common sense and some best practices may be enough to avoid attacks, but who knows what exploits are going to surface in the coming years or even months.

That heavily depends on the furniture you use. If your desk and/or chair is uncomfortable then this fact can mar the benefits of using a big monitor and a comfortable keyboard and mouse.

Pretty sure most of what you listed is fixed at the OS level.

Except for WIFI/Bluetooth proprietary stuff, but that is a matter of their manufacturers, not IBM/Lenovo.

what's wrong with chiclet? i know a bunch of neckbeards like mechanical keyboards for some reason but those are pointless as having a neckbeard

the main thing I can name about modern laptops right now is all this new tech crap like UEFI and 100th generation intel CPUs now with hardwired AIDS (wireless video streaming built into the CPU, AMT, etc), radio shit like bluetooth, fingerprint scanner, etc. last machine i got was 2012 and i _did_ drop it 5 feet many times and it lasted 5 years. it was reasonably easy to take apart and reseat some stuff once in a while

the fuck does that even mean???? the whole point in modern technology is to be as disfunctional as possible while ostensibly providing some sort of "value" that can be used as a selling point. your definition of "functional" sounds like what some graphics design UX hipster faggot living in San Fransisco would say

fuck off back to Holla Forums. i don't give a shit about your economy

How exactly would vulnerabilities existing at ring -3 (ME/AMT) be fixed at ring 0-3 (operating system)? How would Spectre-type problems be fixed at OS level, given that even microcode or firmware fixes can't eliminate it, but only major redesigns right in the silicon?

That's why I said "Lelnovo and other OEMs don't give a fuck" (by "other OEMs" I obviously didn't mean other laptop vendors given we're talking about Thinkpads specifically here, but rather OEMs who are make components such as WLAN/Bluetooth chipsets and are to depend on if driver updates are called for).

OK, let's get this straight.

Spectre/Meltdown is to be fixed by Intel/AMD right? Like, they release a patch.

How does that vulnerability specifically apply to (old) Thinkpads?

It relates to all computers and has nothing to do with IBM / Lenovo specifically.

Or am I missing some crucial piece of information here?

Have my AiO on a wheeled VESA tv stand off the side of my bed. Got a shelf that screws onto the post (says its for a speaker) to put my keyboard on. Have a second one underneath that for the trackpad, blu-ray, and other assorted items.

Stand can hold a 44 lb / 42" flatscreen and the computer is 20 lb / 27", so it's never tipped because of the weight on the shelves. Have a little room above my consoles and am thinking about putting on another shelf for the controllers.

What would be the AMD equivalent to an i5 or i7 ?

AMD Ryzen something-something

fuck off, tropical nigger

Nice stylus from the Wii-U's screen protector kit. Why isn't your Wii-U visible in the frame? Ashamed? :^)

AMT is optional, ME is removed completely by Libreboot and has a placebo switch on newer generations which I assume, works since it factually loads only trivially reversed parts of firmware into the CPU leaving the heavy big bad things untouched.
CPU microcode updates can be applied on boot (really, nothing worse than buying a new cpu since you have to trust the manufacturer in both cases), other fixes are on OS level.
WiFi and Bluetooth modules can be removed and/or upgraded for newer hardware. However, If I remember, the vulnerability is still fixed on driver level of a router/host device. Unless you send unencrypted/unauthenticated traffic on your network, which is pretty retarded anyways, when vpns and cjdns exists, you are not really vulnerable to this attack. It is much easier to tap into your copper or optical wire without you even noticing it, and still older WPA2-related attacks exist that simply take into account weak crystallographic properties of it's algorithms.

Proper fixing of Meltdown, as well as some Spectre flaw mitigation that is possible, requires firmware updates. Intel provides some fixes to OEMs which need to integrate them and release firmware updates. But Lenovo won't release updated firmware for EOL hardware. It's that simple.

just the Wii U stylus works fine with the 3DS and you don't have to worry about misplacing it

Buy a Purism.
Their only downisde is their ridiculous prices. But that's to be expected with a small company like Purism.

then user, like other user implied, should buy a librebooted old Thinkpad.

libreboot.org/suppliers.html
fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom

But, I remember other websites offering x220 machines.

i miss the days when you could more easily repair and replace components in laptops
these days you pretty throw it away once its broken
until this is fixed regular pcs will forever dominate

Batteries are the worst part, by far. Even if I can replace every component in my thinkpad with stock factory parts, they stop making the batteries and you're forced to buy chinkyer knockoffs that don't hold a charge. I'm about ready to slap together a hipster "laptop" made of a raspberry pi and scavenged parts, since at least then I could buy a decent quality battery and not give a shit about it being wrapped in the exact plastic shell required to fit my 10 year old thinkpad's battery slot.

I mean fuck if a guy could make a phone with one I could make a laptop with one.

What is your image trying to prove here?
sage

Fuck somehow my shitty trackpad pressed "new reply" instead of changing the field

some guy on here replaced the cells in thinkpad batteries with new ones, look into that

Fuck OP I know exactly how you feel. My laptop is from 2012 but still pretty much superior to every other laptop in the same price range that I got it for.
I need a new one as the battery is totally fucked and I think in general it is likely on its last legs.

I mostly use a desktop but I really need a new laptop. I figure thinkpads are the go if I can find a computer shop which will spec it up a lot for me?

I was even thinking of looking into an alternative to a laptop... what is essentially a highly portable desktop that I could take on planes.

Shit reminds of how technology can make collectivism easier and "bring back" idolatry of idols, while giving near godlike power to the guy pushing the buttons.

Reminds the articles saying that in 2050 a new class of people will be created thanks to AI, the useless.

OH FUCK
HOLY SHIT
I MADE THAT IMAGE AND THE SECOND AND THIRD PANELS CHANGED
THE TWO CIRCLES AROUND THE HUMAN ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GREEM
WHY ARE THEY BLUE IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE IN CONTEXT
THIS IS SOME MANDELA EFFECT TIER SHIT
I REMEMBER I MADE THEM SPECIFICALLY GREEN

Neverfucking mind, i was using flux and I made that at night, the blue looked almost identical to the green

Do those guys pay you decently to advertise on technology-related forums?
No quad cores, the chassis is bestbuy fagbook lookalike /10
Unless you're a retard who uses proprietary software and OS on his computer, there is not need for "hardware" switches at all, it's just placebo security through obscurity for normalfags, something what would Lelnovo advertise to boomer businessmen as a "security feature" of their ThinkStation All-In-Ones.
youtube.com/watch?v=zYY3n4YWvFo
Cool, they found Nicola Corna's github.
Dies it? What about mandatory EFI firmware blobs for booting off anything besides internal hard drive? The VBios for Intel GPU? Memedown microcode updates?
A Debian Gnome reskin №1472 with deblobbed kernel and Tox pre-installed, how original!
They don't even say what exact wireless chipsets their computers come with.
Where are the schematics? What if a fuse burns? What if I'd need to resolder a faulty cacpacitor or another chip? None of that shit you listed ever breaks for me or anyone who doesn't eat cheetos or throw his laptop from roof. Besides disks and RAM, good luck on finding spare parts for this snowflake Chinese ODM unit, just pray that at least keyboard is standard chicony-issued crap.
A good thing to be proud of. As if matte coating films don't exist.
>backlit flat chiclet trash with short travel keyboard
The backlight still bleeds, it's annoying as fuck.

Stop being a normie and buy a $7000 rework station with $3000 microscope to repair your own electronics.

Old thinkpad batteries and I assume, newer models too, as they share the same battery controller, can be recelled and reset to whatever parameters you'd like. Problem is, batteries are made tamper-resistant and too obscure so that Joe Sixpacks won't pry them open and die from explosions when trying to install new cells inside. It may be questionable, but I assume, it would be bad for a battery pack if all individual cells were easily removable with contact terminals, not soldered ones. Or maybe it's just a production price reduction point, since the cells already cost 95% of the final pack.
The battery in your picture for example, already carries a soldered controller board within, it just doesn't look like old laptop battery in plastic case and 6 pins, it still remains the same overcomplicated structure.

Just buy librem laptops you fucking degenerate

Jesus Christ dude, calm down. OP wants a laptop, I recommended one I like.

$1,399 or $1,599 minimum for librem
Why do you think I'm recycling old laptops? I is poor.

Compare that to the minifree d o t org "Libreboot X200" or Technoethical "X200 "(it's a thinkpad with coreboot installed) it's a little more accessible at 600$ and $400 respectively (I have not tested these)

(And yes I know it's not the same specs but these are firefox machines not rendering clusters)

CadLaptopGuy here. If you don't want to build your own, have you looked at the pitop?

pi-top.com/static/pi-top-open.c6a9b0d0.jpg
pi-top.com/static/pi-top-front.9b851c1e.jpg
pi-top.com/static/pi-top-side.3b11b10f.jpg

It's got room for extra batteries, 2 phones, usb wifi/Bluetooth/3g dongle/speakers and a hidden mouse.

Just have to live with shit graphics.

I just want a raspberry pi with a pci-e port :(

The point is, though, that the form factor of the battery no longer becomes an issue. It doesn't matter that I can't literally replace the cells inside the battery. It matters that I can buy a good quality battery that was made in the less shit-tier factory in China and still use it, vs. the one choice of crap wrapped in thinkpad plastic from the more shit-tier factory in China.

zdrastvuytye

What is the seat you use and position you assume while perusing that contraption. Do realize that things which might seem much more comfortable in the short run may result in problems in the long run (specifically, regularly using a computer in a comfortable but unhealthy position for hours on end will almost inevitably cause back problems in the future). A good desk and good chair combo (while seemingly less comfortable than just giving zero fucks and operating a computer from the bed/couch) is much more ergonomic and helps mitigate future health risks.

T400/420 X200/220 can be acquired for 150USD and corebooted at no cost if you already have some sort of SPI programming device or Pi.

Who the fuck are you? Are you the one with busted hinge from above?
Delivered
up-shop.org/
There is also a bunch of atom-based mini computers with slimmer vertical dimensions.

I highly doubt they would be any better than Chinese copies of laptop batteries with unknown cells since their inner cells are unknown too. Every time I've searched for certain cell form-factor, these driven packaged cells came at the same price or even higher than non-driven branded cells with 'increased' capacity compared to old model of branded cells. The difference was around 20% with old originals somewhere in between.

Jak spravi, moskaliku;^)

Yea

Ooooh. Wait... where do I plug in the dual sli graphics cards...

Inflation destroyed the economy, now we can't make expensive magnesium cases even with mass production.
We also can't sell anything but Macbook ripoff "Ultrabooks" due to marketing department requests and licensing requirements from Intel.

That kind of Realpolitik requires too much thought. I prefer the lazy NazBol approach.

look at him and laugh

Which i5 or i7 you underbrained faggot? These are literally price bracket designations, not much related to actual specs.

The EU introduced a directive few years ago requiring every new phone to use a standard micro-USB port for charging. They should do something similar to require laptops to use standard batteries.

richfags, I swear...

Modern Atoms are actually quite decent, at least since the Goldmont µarch. We're talking pre-Bulldozer Athlon grade IPC here.

the fuck nigger read a book

Asus GL702ZC is a gaymer laptop but it has ryzen 7 1700 desktop cpu, can replace ram, hdd, battery (internal), and potentially cpu because it uses the am4 socket. pretty nice these days tbh.

there's your problem

Because Apple makes the most profitable laptops. So PC manufacturers, who have had every ounce of creativity drained from them, rush to copy Apple and make knockoff Macbooks. And the only way they can differentiate themselves anymore is with retarded gimmicks like touch screens and idiotic hinges. A real laptop like pic related will never ever be manufactured again.

lol what a faggot. If you're doing anything that requires actual security, don't use the internet and don't use a computer.

the new gimmick is camera covers and security screens

If I had to shill for a laptop, I would recommend Dell Latitude E6540. I got mine for ~$500, but it should be even cheaper now. I pity the soyboys who can't carry around this 6 lbs wonder.

Anything that does not use a piano hinge is by definition shit and should be avoided at all costs to discourage the non-piano hinge practice.

I think its funny how "Gaming Laptops" have always had the stigma of being overpiced. But an ASUS ROG GL series laptop is usually hundreds of dollars cheaper than equivalent "Business Class" laptops like the Dell XPS series or Macbooks. Granted they have a "gamery aesthetic" and are usually thicker to accommodate better cooling for the dedicated GPUs but it's something to keep in mind if you actually value performance per dollar

When is this, the fucking 90's? Only time I ever visit a store is maybe to see if the keyboard isn't absolute non-functioning shit, even then I would buy online anyway afterwards.

I chuckle every time I see those mp3 player controls and small LCD. Like you're carrying this 10-pound abomination in your pouch and switch through tracks while on a commute train, is that how it's supposed to be?

"Security" screens been for 10 years already, seen the 2009 thinkpad ads with them as accessories. Camera covers are indeed the new invention.

It look so soulless. How can anyone live in this crushing soul society?

The buildings that surround me don't define my happiness. My happiness is the function of my good nutrition, my active mental conditioning as well as my active body conditioning. As long as my room is cosy and sensibly quiet, I am happy.

You are much better off typing on the laptop in the out rural area.

This is the dream man, live in the wilderness, establish your own farm, raise a healty family and have a single ethernet cord poking through the floor of your cottage

Dell e6440 with a rubber dome keyboard, trackpoint, and jewtel i7-4 something dual core with a radeon card. I like it. The thinkpad of that year was the 4 series, which was (((updated))).

just use a thin client to access everything from your home made maui cluster. the only i/o i need is an internet connection.

I't looks like a flimsy shit with a bad screen.

Enjoy your "Mossad Inside"

dell inspiron can't do that.

Wow you are a racist anti-semite. what else to expect from a website like this? next time keep your opressive opinions to your self!

Show me on this foreskin, where rabbi touched you.

What kind of soyboy laptop would die from such a fall anyway?

Modern atoms are shit and suffer from thermal issues and throttling

Even when throttled they offer enough performance for comfortable desktop usage. You won't do better in that kind of thermal envelope at least in x86 world.