Youtube-dl

Did anyone notice that youtube just started throttling youtube-dl ?

I get speeds under 100kb/s for long videos and descending speeds under 300kb/s for popular channels with short videos even though all downloads start with a speed between 3 and 4 mb/s.
It's unnerving. I have to wait half an hour for a 100 mega audio for a stupid podcast when under normal circumstances it would take less than a minute.

Changing the user agent does nothing. I'm going to test if piping it through tor solves anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/6923
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/15275
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/pull/11476
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/pull/11476/files
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/test/test_jsinterp.py
vimeo.com/112045173
deturl.com/bookmarklet-to-directly-download-videos-from-youtube.asp
yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Same here 100 kb/s throttling. Is it possible that they check if a certain cookie is set?

No thanks

Nope, cookies/client side parameters aren't a problem here. Throttling is done on the server side.

Pretty sure the consensus was that it's not turing complete.

Motherfuckers, I imagine it won't even be possible to split a single download in multiple connections as happens with aria2c...
[download] 89.8% of 29.99MiB at 338.08KiB/s ETA 00:09[download] 69.8% of 3.18MiB at 72.12KiB/s ETA 00:13

Meh. I use youtube-dl with torsocks so I was already throttled by tor. Just select a lower quality.

Ask the content authors to mirror the content to a more reasonable hosting. As a bonus, it won't have any of youtube's lossy transcoding.

Surely there's some way for them to identify youtube-dl before throttling though.

Why can't people just host their own god damn videos?

One day, when you grow up and have to start paying for your internet, you will understand.

Pretty sure that nobody actually proved that and just kept repeating that it only parses.

That is why we need net neutrality. Thanks Drumpf.

try using flashgot

Not everybody lives in burgerland and has to pay 500$ a month for dial up.

No, no issues. Try changing the user agent.

Why can't you build your own house or craft your own 6XL shirts?

issues have been opened with youtube-dl.
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/15275
there's a lot of bouncing around and closing of issues with "not our problem" as is the standard procedure with any issue on any open source project.

the solution seems to be
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/pull/11476
a pull request that was completely ignored for months when it was submitted, but is now referenced as a possible solution.

your going to have to pull it with git or add this manually yourself until youtube-dl gets it shit together
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/pull/11476/files

Newpipe works awesome here

they might also be throttling specific formats, ie mp3/mp4 in favor of their own webm

That is not a nice thing to do though. Content providers may even block youtube-dl if you fags do this.

nice try shlomo
fuck google. let them try. if they try to block these downloads it's just going to be another arms race between youtube-dl and similar and google and the prevent youtube-dl from working they're going to have to shit up the user experience even further and hopefully push even more lemmings off their control platform.

If this test file covers the full range of functionality then it's not Turing-complete:
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/test/test_jsinterp.py
Notice that it has no branching or looping or other control flow besides returning from functions. I don't know if it can even call functions from within other functions, but I'll assume it can.
That means that can make certain strong static guarantees about any individual function. In particular, you can exactly know which functions it calls and that as long as those functions return the function itself also returns, regardless of the input the function receives.
So a function returns iff all the functions it calls return, and a function returns if it doesn't call any other functions. That means you can analyze a function by descending through the functions it calls, and seeing if a function ever calls itself, possibly indirectly. If a function calls itself, it and the top-level function never return. If none of the functions call themselves you'll eventually finish looking through the tree of function calls, assuming a finite number of functions.
That analysis solves the halting problem, which means the subset of javascript can't be Turing-gcomplete.

i hope google forces the DRM that w3c kikes included in the specification and destroys it even further.

Wrong, WebDRM is transparent to the user. Kys drumpfie.

pick one faggot.

Go use it on chrome, you will notice nothing. Corporations are not stupid, they learned that consumers only care about convenience and have no principles. This is why it was standardized by the w3c and removed from the inconvenient plugins into invisible auto-installed eme plugins. Well firefox notifies you, but chrome which virtually everyone uses does not. Go back to r/thedonald and boast about how your adblocker will "gas the kikes".

Is there anything worth downloading besides T.D. vids? Also, for music videos and shit there's still vimeo, which features most of the better artists and exclusive content by muh NY avant-fucks.
vimeo.com/112045173 - shamefully the site doesn't even load without js.

niggers

Before 2015, everyone hosted their own videos maaaan.

Ok. Good job you successfully destroyed my meme.

youtube-dl is not youtube exclusive

Jamal records rap and basketball videos, he only has a 'sail fone'. How does he host his videos to millions of his fans with only a dinky 3g connection in a crowded urban environment?

Maybe somebody will invent some kind of p2p where the more downloaders you get the more uploaders there are. Sounds pretty futuristic.

Didn't you know Poo-in-the-Loo was ackshually HUSSEIN Obama's guy? Obama only pretended to create net neutrality, so he could destroy it while Trump was president, thus giving him a bad rep. MAGA!

On the the one hand, it's unreasonable to expect people to shekkel out hundreds of dollars each month to serve their 1080p videos to potentially dozens of thousends of anons. On the other hand youtube's monopoly on (or their status as the go-to for) video hosting does raise questions about how we host videos without going (((bankrupt))). Bittorrent is great as long as there is interest, but requires that someone is uploading that particular video.

Something like this sounds promising.

There's still good tech, math, lock picking, and gayming channels that I have RSS feeds for.

4D chess? Did Obama outplay Drumpf? LOOOL

I was doing that in 2005, while my Internet link was a 256kB Residential broadband.

Bittorrent.

Oh wait... Phoneposters will throw a fit.

As for a 'platform', there's Miro.

There.

Oh wait, you're on a ((smartphone)).

Did you try updating it? Use pip instead of your distro's package manager to ensure you get the latest version. 9 times out of 10 this solves any yt-dl problems I have. Youtube and yt-dl are in a neverending arms race, so it's important to keep up to date to make sure you're ahead of jewtube's latest tricks.

you could check out what this bookmarklet does
deturl.com/bookmarklet-to-directly-download-videos-from-youtube.asp

I used to use an old program under Windows called "youtube video downloader" (yvd.sourceforge.net); recently, I noticed I couldn't download videos with that software anymore (had no issues with youtube-dl so far). Don't know if the throttling and preventing downloaders from getting video metadata is part of the same scheme.

Works for me.

Hydraulic Press Channel & Beyond the Press

Read the damn thread.
Specially these posts >>855124

8ch is just an extension of r/thedonald tho.

>>>/leddit/

>>>/4chan/

can't they just spoof it as a browser?

I've noticed the same problem with a browser plugin called Complete YouTube Saver.

Spoof with the latest Tor Browser's user agent.
--user-agent "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0"
No throttling done.

youtube-dl --dump-user-agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:10.0) Gecko/20150101 Firefox/47.0 (Chrome)
You think they'd at least randomize it so youtube-dl requests weren't so predictable.

its not even a real ua

suggest parentheses to disambiguate precedence of "and" keyword in statement

(Not everybody lives in burgerland) and (has to pay 500$ a month for dial up).

I decided to bite the bullet and Youtube Downloader HD works fine.

so what's the solution to this ?

some ppl are saying changing user agents works, other ppl are saying you have to use aria2

most importantly why don't ytdl kikes give a shit about this

check peertube. It's youtube-like web frontend with videos in bittorrent / webtorrent

kys

Since when was donald anti-DRM?

they will. just wait until youtube introduces drm like netflix.

why the fuck would you do that when youtube-dl has the --proxy option?

I rarely download anything from YouTube, but here's what I found. If you list all available formats, pay special attention to the ones at the bottom, which have audio and video streams already combined in one container. For some reason those video formats can be downloaded at full speed. However, they typically only go up to 720p.

Also, I remember downloading a certain TV show episodes off of YouTube a year ago at the default youtube-dl setting, which just takes the best quality audio and video streams separately. The download speeds back then were throttled to approximately 300KB/s for the video stream and 50KB/s for the audio one, too. So this throttling is not a new development by any means.

lots of faggots in this thread lol. just use use aria2c and put this in your youtube-dl config
--external-downloader aria2c--external-downloader-args "-x 16 -s 16 -k 1M"

Never checked aria2c out before, works beautifully. Thanks fam!

any reason you're not using piece length and http-pipelining ? ( I might not be understanding the documentation in the man file properly // I'm curious )

Looks like Youtube found a way to throttle it. Arg.

works here fam, just tested on a few videos.
If you download something that has dash segments then there's not really much you can do.

hahaha nevermind speeds go down jesus fucking christ these jews

wonderful. thx based fagnon

you can do this on newer ffs by disabling the mediasource prefs

for who knows how long (months, years) it has been slow for me over tor. at some point it would get reasonable speeds 300KB/s+

turing completeness isn't the issue, genius. but yes, I've never seen any proof that it could do anything bad given malicious input.

fuck is wrong with youtube-dl? do you unironically view videos in a browser with JS enabled?

Congratulations on totally missing the point.

do you unironically profile yourself as someone who has something to hide from Google by using a downloader tool only channers use? Learn to browser spoofing, retard. Your anonymous mask is too obvious when nobody else is wearing it.

One day, when you will grow up and learn to use a search engine (and learn basic arithmetics), you will understand how cheap it is to host your own videos.

faggot

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
i bet you think "browser spoofing" means changing the user agent. and what did you implement your own youtube ripper that pretends to be a browser and is even more identifiable than youtube-dl?

this

hmm now live youtube streams don't seem to work at all

Ugh, it took over 2 hours do download an audiobook and all the decent audiobook torrent sites are invite only.

try audiobookbay.nl

Wow thanks user.

do people really do that? learn to search you nigger.

[download] 7.0% of 3.45GiB at 7.69MiB/s ETA 07:07

I think the issue is now resolved. Update your youtube-dl

Yo, don't use that specific thing but eh uh, youtube totally broke my downloader.
Sucks because I ain't too particular about wasting connection on a second viewing, kinda why I got myself a 12tb ftobr

What do you mean by "my downloader"? Are you intentionally being vague to disguise the fact that you're a blathering imbecile?

I wanna know what a ftobr is.

Tf is this shit?

How is youtube-dl performance off topic to youtube-dl? And what secret tricks did he delete?

Youtube-dl performance is dependent upon Youtube performance. If Youtube is being slow, then Youtube-dl is not responsible to fix that.

They can come up with workarounds, which is exactly what that issue was about.

So does anyone have a working workaround? The --avoid-throttling patch doesn't work, the socket timeout doesn't work and using aria2c is just as useless.

It's pathetic that youtube-dl doesn't want to find a way to work around this as it's currently pretty much useless for youtube.

Perhaps it's because Youtube-dl is not responsible for how Youtube performs.

Are you seriously this retarded?

are you serious? it's super comfy for streaming audio only

You're talking shit about youtube-dl's patheticness. Why is it their fault?

for what purpose

>wget yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl
or .bin/ whichever you have
tada!

t. windows luser

Youtube-dl should rename themselves to literallyanythingbutyoutube-dl because that's what it's useful for now.

I suggest netvids-dl.

Unless you live in rural burgerland with shitty data caps it's cheap as hell.

wat

I use youtube-dl just fine every day.

The desire to download binaries off the internet yourself and use them directly is inherently a Windows user mindset.