Rockbox Development Team: OOP BTFO

From the contribution guide for Rockbox:

git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.git;a=blob;f=docs/CONTRIBUTING

Does anyone have anything they want to say to the Rockbox contributors?

Other urls found in this thread:

musicpd.org/
rockbox.org/wiki/GoldenQuotes
bugs.gentoo.org/301349#c61
github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/tree/master/tools/apbuild
github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/tree/master/tools/glade
github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/tree/master/intl
github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef-osx-deps/tree/51f3459df0325ba4c31276577a41c1a32e55b0d3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I used it as a music player on my cellphone (Someone built an APK frequently), it's the only one that worked pretty well without bs. It's not surprising they have good coding standards.

What does it even look like on a phone?

Into the trash it goes

Isn't that the same as using just ASCII?

Hey cool, the project lives.

It has a shitty interface but it works well.

Sorry, are we talking about Rockbox, or every GNU/Linux project ever?

I'm surprised you skipped passed their staunt "No camel case" clause.

Good job!

Speaking of Rockbox, does anyone want to compile 3.14 for the N900/Maemo?

>(((C)))
DroppSegmentation fault.

Scratch that, it doesn't work at all. KitKat and below only.

It's been a while since I used it.

Does he know that C is antiquated?

should have been written in rust tbqhw/u

enjoy the botnet google cuck

Why would you use C for anything unless you absolutely have to?

Because when I create an array I want it to be an array, not an "Array extends Object". When I create a string I want it to be a string, not a "String extends Object".

You wanna use Rust then. Rust doesn't even have inheritance.

because memory safe is for pussies

that_is_a_good_thing_though

Amen.
I would still argue that typedefs are handy, tho.

Rewriting Rockbox in Rust would be actually pretty fun imho. But unfortunately no good digital music players are produced anymore.

Nobody who writes code wants Rust. Only some larpers here are constantly shilling it. Funny thing that.

You could still try to make it work on Android or something. Or fuck, see if you can make it work on a PC/Linux as a replacement for foobar2000.

Android has tons of music player apps.
Linux has mpd. musicpd.org/

wtf do they think is even happening?

underratedPost

It's a fucking embedded player firmware. Ideally it has to be assembly but with the amount of different chips used in the players they stick to C for portability, even if it makes it slower.

Holy shit are /g/ refugees fleeing to Holla Forums or something?

This sounds messy, but they probably did it because two major contributers have different styles.

mpd doesn't actually play the music through your speakers.

rockbox.org/wiki/GoldenQuotes

My poor Clip+ destroyed its battery after it was left on. They're harder to get now too.

Deadbeef is a decent Linux-based player.

umm yes it does?

Or you could buy a 5th generation ipod video through 7th generation ipod classic. The 5th generation video ipods have a Wolfson DAC that is better than the DAC inside any mobile device even available for purchase today outside of $1000 meme flac players. Then you buy the double-depth rear case, replace the 600mah battery with a 3000mah LiPo battery, and the spinning disk drive with an adapter board in your preferred format (msata, CF, SD, uSD) and you have an mp3 player that can hold as much as much music as you could ever want, with 50 hours of real battery life, running rockbox. 5th generation videos can be had on ebay for less than $30. I recommend ones that are "for parts" with HDD errors. Don't buy ones that don't turn on, the charging assembly can go sometimes, or the SMD battery connect on the board, and it is impossible to resolder because it is nearly flush with the edge of the front assembly

You literally replace the bootrom with rockbox's faggot, or do you not understand how recycle and reuse works. Enjoy your 128kbps mp3 collection you got in a public torrent megapack on your 4gb Sansa Clip

You seem a little upset. Also I don't have a Sansa Clip nor do I have 128kbps mp3s.

get educated dude

Your categorical reaction to the mention of Apple signals your small intellect or young age. Like any other OEM, they are a mixed bag. Aversion to their ethics, and their current products and practices is understandable. They are cancerous. Those of us who actually work in computing or enjoy computing as a hobby remember when Apple made very high quality hardware, and their OS, though derivative of BSD, really was the best of both worlds and still relatively *nix like in workflow. Those benefits are largely gone, but many people still use it because their work requires it.

Your bullshit reduction is counterproductive, and just ignorant. There is no reasonable philosophical objection you could have to repurposing < 2008 hardware for reuse with open software. There is no network stack, it can be managed with open software or as a FS, and is available at an attractive price point.

Now you are definitely upset

if you know what makes foobar2000 what it is, you should understand that simply porting rockbox is not enough, by far.

you have to go back to /g/

no

Actually, I'm writing Rust right now. Mad bro?

Please enjoy your stay then

post code or kys LARPer

thanks

It really is a weird thing for him to suddenly start sperging off on.

Can do.

Why? Also wtf is this?

/g/ user has been detected

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

/g/ user has been detected. Also vlc just werks.

bugs.gentoo.org/301349#c61

Pretty sure that no longer applies. It compiles against the in-distro libs now. ffmpeg is the only plugin I haven't been able to and that's due to using mpv-build.

Looks like it's still not packaged on these three distros. Might still be the case.

github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/tree/master/tools/apbuild
github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/tree/master/tools/glade
github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/tree/master/intl
And homOSeX users have it deep
github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef-osx-deps/tree/51f3459df0325ba4c31276577a41c1a32e55b0d3

Honestly, that's too bad because it is quite a good player. Quodlibet and audacious-qt5 are good too.

my clip+'s flash started to fail and my clip zip died in the washing machine within a couple months of each other. rip little buddies.

Yeah, I mad! What's your github, I'm gonna rewrite that shit in Z80 asm and run it on my gameboy!

Now this is the kind of shitposting i want to see more of on Holla Forums

I like your setup.

The only good answer in this whole godforsaken thread.

Because C is simple, easy, and compact. Because everything is written in C. For the few newer things that are written in C++, better versions already exist that are written in C. Everything else is a pet project or an academic exercise.

I guess that explains the FAT corruption and random crashes and errors.

fucking faggot

Oy vey, no wonder Rockbox development stopped years ago!

VLC is preinstalled in manjaro IIRC
and if that user uninstalls it it might fuck dependencies because there's no fallback

Great.

Your fault then.

I've bought two Fuze+ to prepare for the apocalypse of no good Rockbox platform. Their touchpad is horrendous, but I almost never use it; only use the random folder plugin (I only keep the leafs to emulate random album).

I've got a 7th iPod classic but I don't think Rockbox supports it

You wouldn't want it anyways. The only reason anybody gives a shit about the 5th gen iPod video is because of the DAC specifically. Beyond that it's shit and you're better off getting some non-Apple thing.

Seriously?
Whoa, what a great distro that is.