Intel microcode update

Updated microcode posted by Intel-Aviv, grab it while it's hot

downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=52214

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/debian/ source/intel-microcode/ changelog
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151527756600887&w=2
metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/i/intel-microcode/intel-microcode_3.20180108.1_changelog
bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-4442
lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/21/192
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks officer, I'll be sure to re encrypt everything right after.

+ Implements IBRS/IBPB support and enhances LFENCE: mitigation
against Spectre (CVE-2017-5715)
+ Very likely fixes several other errata on some of the processors
* supplementary-ucode-CVE-2017-5715.d/: remove.
+ Downgraded microcodes:
sig 0x000406f1, pf_mask 0xef, 2017-03-01, rev 0xb000021, size 26624
sig 0x000506c9, pf_mask 0x03, 2017-03-25, rev 0x002c, size 16384
+ This removes IBRS/IBPB support for these two platforms when compared
with the previous (and unofficial) release, 20171215. We don't know
why Intel declined to include these microcode updates (as well as
several others) in the release.
>launchpad.net/debian/ source/intel-microcode/ changelog

Filthy microcodeses! What has it got in its pocketses?

We are here to save you goy!

Wonder If the Libreboot project will worry about this.

Am I missing something?

How to analyse these files?

Will the microcode updates still carry performance penalties and are simply an extra layer of security in the event an unpatched OS needs to be ran?

Are you serious?

yes

All this shit looks like (((the glitch))) straight outta Deus Ex.

read_nigger_read.webm

ie we have no idea what the fuck this microcode update does but we're going to include this proprietary binary blob in our repo's anyway because it's intel

This

I hate these sort of image that are fucking inaccurate.
Anybody who has copied the X86 architecture is vulnerable to spectre, so ARM and AMD are also in that trash compactor.
The only CPUs who have not these are simple other architectures like MIPS or POWER.

Will anybody will learn about this clusterfuck of obscurity ?

just installed it desu

OpenBSD/armv7 is largely unaffected by either of these bugs.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151527756600887&w=2

Translation: OpenBSD was already as slow as Linux now is.

OpenBSD values correctness over speed homie.

The mistake was made integrating the northbridge with the processor itself, thus making such intrusion possible. What gains are made by the placement, anyway?

Probably speed. Because they must make the cpu as fast as possible in order to cope with the shit software they are making. To hell with any other considerations, speed is all that matters.

Maybe power efficiency too. Can't have Tyrone running out of battery because he forgot his adaptor like the dumbass he is.

Pretty sick of this shit.

Returning to tonight's biggest story. The World Health Organization today issued an unprecedented recall on augmentation technology. For days, reports of temporary malfunctions and electrostatic disturbances have been flooding in from around the globe. Elizabeth DuClare, spokeswoman for the WHO, confirmed that the cause of these disruptions has been linked to a major malfunction in a multichannel peripheral nerve biochip, a device which transmits neural impulses directly to inorganic tissue. She is urging people to visit their local LIMB clinics immediately to have the faulty chips replaced.

FTFY

OpenBSD really irritates you CIA niggers doesn't it?

Just updated my OpenBSD -current box to today's snapshot. It downloaded and installed the microcode automatically.

Does OpenBSD actually has some design decisions that make it better than Linux kernel or is it just written better or something?

Yes, it has binary blobs straight in the kernel because that's more secure. Also no extended access rules because that's bloat.

Yeah it pisses off all the cianiggers who want everyone on Linux/systemd.

Put the fucking lotion in the basket!

give it a few years, retards will line up for proprietary implants

That's what theo promotes and his standard code quality is good but he's a hypocrite about a lot of things like blobs in the kernel or clang or licenses, it's double standards thinking and niggers exploit that all the time.

Intel will simply ignore any CPU older than 5 years.

Run "dmesg | grep microcode" and compare your sig value to the changelog if you want to check whether your microcode has actually been fixed against Spectre variant 2:
metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/i/intel-microcode/intel-microcode_3.20180108.1_changelog

What blobs in kernel? There's only /etc/firmware/* that get installed into the hardware devices that need it. There's nothing like closed nvidia or broadcom drivers in kernel. If there exists no open-source driver, then your hardware simply isn't supported at all. Anyway the kernel is monolithic with no loadable modules.

hilarious strawman and misdirection as always, openplacebotard.

Pacemakers. Already happening. They're buggy too,

You're conflating firmware and kernel drivers. Either you're stupid or just trolling.

The distinction doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that they're both software and they both need to respect my freedom.

Openplacebotard logic at its finest.

You're kdding right? You think OS runs inside all the hardware microcontrollers, including shit like Intel ME? Go have your head examined before it's too late.

Now that's a strawman argument as I don't advocate the position that the OS runs inside all the hardware microcontrollers. I advocate the position that firmware is software and that drivers are software. The fact that they are software inherently means that they must respect my freedom.

So I ran deblob script on 4.14.11 and I'm having troble installing "firmware_install" module. Should I skip it?

Do I need to update coreboot with this microblob?

I had some firmware_install related problem while using plain old genkernel recently, something about that firmware shit finally getting removed from the kernel but genkernel code still calling this make phase iirc, see bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-4442
Open the Makefile and edit the PHONY += firmware_install phase do something like echo "sixty niggers" instead of whatever the fuck it is supposed to be doing.

I wish i had thought of it. Well done, OP.

King Sperg is angry.
lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/21/192

CONGRATS LEMMINGS
YOU DOWNLOADED FIRMWARE THAT CAUSES YOUR PCS TO SPONTANEOUSLY REBOOT

At this point in time, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if all news anchors and pundits were computer generated images.

CIA niggers will say anything to get you to do what they want, and in this case it's trying to get you not to run OpenBSD.

So of course they'll lie and conflate and make inappropriate analogies.

like, all the time?

enjoy your bricked computer goyim