Vampirella

Does she got any fans here on Holla Forums?
Are there any left?

Timm really got her right.
I'll admit I don't know much about the series, just that she's bona fide boner fuel.

He worked with her in a comic once, in the small story posted in the OP.

Gotta say, I prefer her as a vampire rather than a vampire-like alien.

Did they change her outfit before?

She used to have a very edgy 90s costume.

In 2011 when Dynamite first got the rights.

They can't possibly be that stu-

…alrighty then.

How fucking sheltered and delusional do you have to be to think this will fly?

This is how she is looking like right now.

They were trying to rip off Wonder Woman's look at the time of that iirc when she was wearing jacket and pants.

She reminds me of Elvira in that pic for some reason.

I remember that look. I hated that jacket. It felt like Wonder Woman stole it from Black Canary.

HELL YEAH I'M A FAN

That looks really shitty, and she looks more like she's supposed to be a witch than a vampire.
I understand her outfit is really dumb and just screams 70s, but no one has been able to properly do her right.
I did a dumb doodle a while back for how I thought she could be redesigned, by making her more based off Elvira and/or Morticia, but then you still run the issue of having badly-written comics. She was a product of her time, I think.
I wish they could just make a run of her that's purposely campy.

I like these. I just doubt you'd ever be able to show a woman's nipples like that! I mean, it's not sexualized, but the body is inherently sexual. This is odd to think about.

Oh, yeah, I know. But the reason Red Sonja dresses the way she does is to get the advantage in battle when men are too busy being shocked by her nudity. I was going more for a feel of what you see in non-American comics, where nudity is completely okay. Like how, for outside of the first bits of the comic, Druuna is either naked or just wearing a thong and a crop-top.
I was also inspired by a certain woman Itto and Daigoro run into in Lone Wolf and Cub who does the same thing, but with the extra shock value of tattoos. Pic related.

Nice sketches, user.

Ironically, Kath Leth's run tried to go that direction…

Its probably the dress that makes you remind her.

Sadly this is all we have.

Well since we have a Vampirella thread we might as well storytime Kate Leth's run. Is it as bad as Patsy Walker Hellcat? We shall see

Do not I am not Kittyposter or the same user that picked up duties following his disappearance, so I don't have any commentary to make.

Fug

Oh yes we are doing that.

This isn't Hellcat bad, but it's bad. The men are all fawning, emasculated, or useless. The dialogue is full of bad wordplay that's supposed to be clever. Instead of mortal peril, the big issue Vampirella has to deal with is social media. And the plot just lurches along on its own, without the characters actually doing things to drive it forward.

Right on point. Not really happens for the first issues as on par with Hellcat, who managed to be 17 issues of nothing happening. Thankfully we only have six, since this shit didn't last very long.

For a comic about an alien vampire, there are an awful lot of scenes of people sitting around, drinking and talking. And Slade's sinister plan for Vampirella is to have her…host b-movies?

The worst part is that the comic acknowledges that Vampirella does all sorts of cool shit like fighting demons… But none of this happens here

And of course, half the supporting cast are gay.

Why does Leth even write books about superheroes if she's so allergic to writing action?

She only knows to write only one style which is slice of life set inside superhero stuff.

Jesus this is a whole lot of talking. This isn't even a mystery since we know who the antagonist is. There is no build up at all.

Oh shit, finally something interesting happens. A fucking demon appears to fight… Like in the third issue of the series.

I like how Leth herself points out the absurdity of whatshername being shocked that Vampirella's an actual vampire when she herself is inhuman. And isn't it kind of problematic that Glasses apparently used to magically hypnotize her girlfriend?

Nice casual man-bashing on the fifth page.
Why have characters swear if you're not able to publish it? Censored text just reminds the reader that they're reading a comic book.

Yeah imagine if the genders were reversed? Not even Dynamite would get away with this, even if it was a villain doing that.

Also the censored swearing annoyed me because Dynamite doesn't have hangs up about including the word fuck occasionally in other comics like Dresden Files.

And then we get told how awful and sexist Hollywood was and is, and a gratuitous mention of "sex workers." And a manga sweat drop that's even more out of place with this art style than it was in Hellcat.
Left unanswered: how does this woman know all this stuff? Why would Slade literally leave her own calling card for Vampirella when she's operated secretly for decades?

You will see, Lucifer, when they meet face to face.

Hey, a Metalunan mutant attacks! That's fun. The idea of using black magic to use real monsters in monster movies is a good one.

I like the mutants broing it up in the last panel.

So if it's not editorial blanking out the cussing, what's the point? Bizarre.

Also, I don't think Vampi's boytoy is actually a werewolf. I think he's just a guy who doesn't like to shave.

Well to be honest, he actually is a werewolf. He was introduced in a earlier run to have come from Drakulon. He isn't a character that Leth made up, he is there before then.

Okay, I love the premise of this Hollywood monster party. "Besides, they're just extras!" is a great line. It's too bad we don't see more of this instead of Slade reappearing to disrupt things for no apparent reason.

I wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't transformed. And we still don't even get to see him fight!

Again with the pointless, censored swearing.

This ends just like Hellcat. Leth's self-insert magically has the ability to solve everybody's problems, everybody is buddy-buddy, and her gay pets live happily ever after!

Why would something cool ever happen here?

Pretty much yeah. Believe it or not this is the final chapter of that arc by the way. I know I said 6 issues, but the issue 6 is just a stupid lolrandumb filler episode that doesn't have relevance with anything and was added just to close this stupid book. I think Dynamite realized they shat the bed with this comic even though they planned on making a regular series, but giving Vampirella a bodysuit and putting Kath Leth as a writer was the kiss of death, so they pulled this shit out of its misery.

Chessus this is cringy.

It's been done before though.

Done. This is the end. Thank you for wasting your time.
Jebus this was crap.

This was just silly. And of course it ends with a Pride parade. Leth really has no idea what she's doing.

I would bet money that it's been done better literally every other time it's been done, too.

What was the twist again in Vampi's origin?

I have a feeling that the guy in the last chapter is supposed to represent Vampirella's fanboys.

She was originally written as an alien, but then it was revealed that she was the daughter of the Biblical Lilith created to get rid of vampires. And Drakulon is not actually a planet, but a hell-dimension or some crap like that.

Because she likes superheroes, and because it's the most secure genre to work in as a comic writer or an artist.

She is like everyone, and writes mostly what she knows. Her life is made of sitting around in coffee shops and being on social media. Leth doesn't partake in sports nor martial arts, and probably stops paying attention when she sees action scene in a film or tv show. Same goes for many writers and artists working in comics today. That's why people eating and talking are a staple in Marvel books.

I don't think that is the case. You don't necessarily have to participate in sports or watch fight matches to be interested or coming up with interesting action sequences. I think Leth's problem is that she is a very unimaginative person in general, but that is specifically glaring in writing tension or action pieces.

So she likes superheroes but hates superheroing? There's got to be other ways to write a character into spandex

Yep. Leth probably took pleasure in subverting the character and showed a fanboy strawman to humiliate in her comic.

I don't believe for a second that most comic book writers have spent a lot of time getting in fist-fights, sneaking into well-guarded secret facilities, or risking death in exotic locales.

No it really isn't. I mean there's nothing remotely secure about working in that industry to begin with, but assuming you mean relatively you're still wrong. Just because the Big Two are bigger doesn't mean they're better or more reliable to work for, they'll move you off a book for no reason without notice, they'll cancel projects you were on because of editorial bullshit, and unless you're part of a small circle of creators that have become staples there is absolutely no guarantee you'll get another project once the one you're on is cancelled.

Not that user, but wouldn't working on Big Two supeheroes considered "the most secure career" by comparison to other studios like Image, Dynamite or Dark Horse who are barely able to break on the same level of success?

The Big Two are more successful because they can put out way more books, but that doesn't mean that the individual books outside of flagship titles are significantly more successful than the average book at Image or Dark Horse who both pull less editorial bullshit shenanigans and have lower bars for 'cancellation numbers' than Marvel or DC. I've heard Dynamite pulls some bullshit too so I'm not sure if they're significantly better, either way I'd say the best position in the industry would probably be working on some established IP at IDW.

Watching movies, sports, and reading would be enough. There are many western themed comics made in Europe, and while these authors never were cowboys, they grew up on films and books about cowboys. On this side of the ocean, Frank Miller grew up watching kung-fu, noir, and old adventure films and books, and he incorporated all of them into his books. Mignola does it with mythology, Eisner with pulp and noir stories, Kirby with philosophy, and so on.

Based on my experience of talking to SJWs who are into comics, fighting for justice and "superhero family" are the most appealing factor. For most of them, X-Men were the entry point into comics. Stories about mutants have whole family thing and "standing up to evil people who prosecute others" in spades.

Big two put out a lot of books, so they need a lot of writers. If you get into their good graces, you are basically guaranteed to have at least 6 to 18 issues once in a while. If you would go indie, you would have to work harder to make sure that your book is either good enough or marketed well enough to actually turn enough profit to sustain you. Big two can afford to prop up a shit book once in a while, but in Image, Dark Horse etc. it's all on you. And if Marvel and DC like you well enough, you might even get a cushy exclusive contract with them. Only thing better than that is having a syndicated comic strip or Hollywood turning your comic into a hit tv series or film.

No one in comics can fucking draw anymore and it makes me goddamn sad

The sad thing is that there is no shortage of artists in the internet who can do a way better job, but they'd be fucked if they wanna work in comic books.

noice

I think that, inside, she knows exactly what she's doing - massaging her own ego by projecting onto the character and having the supporting cast constantly tell her how great she is and that everyone wants to hear what she has to say.

It's a tragic case of self delusion; both this and Hellcat end roughly the same way.
Both likely written in a flood of tears while Leth constantly chants to herself how much everyone loves her.

I'm gonna be brutally honest, outside of her being good spank material, I can't actually imagine anybody liking Vampirella as a character, because well outside of her cool outfit, what else is there to her?

Elvira's better.

What else do you need?

"Planet Drakulon" is such a stupid idea that it goes all the way around and becomes kind of cool again.

That's just regular stupid.

It doesn't help she has a very inconsistent personality. She is either Elvira, a female version of Blade or a vapid Buffy ripoff (like in Kath Leth's version). She looks fine that in unquestionable, but beyond that, there isn't much to like about her character.

They can't never decide which version is true.

I was enjoying the Grant Morrison version, but then he realised he'd stretched himself too thin and left it to Mark Millar, back when they were still talking, and then it turned to shit.

How so? I mean, user didn't do a good job of explaining it, but 'she's a vampire' feels way more natural than 'she's an alien that happens to be a lot like a vampire.'
Lilith had sex with many different monsters, and that's how the various races of vampires were created. She was the last one Lilith gave birth to, and the only one that was conceived from a human father, which is why she's able to go out in sunlight and can resist the need to drink blood. However, Lilith was cursed by God so that all her children are still monsters, and so Vampirella is still a vampire. She was just raised to fight vampires after Lilith repented. Supposedly repented, anyway.

If you read anything other than that, you find out that her origin story is all over the walls. They screw with it constantly in the comics, to the point where the wiki says "Lilith had used a magic mirror to make Vampirella believe whatever variation on her origin was necessary at the time." Like, shit.

Now this is something I need to see how bad it is.

Who doesn't Timm get right, though?
I know I love his powergirl more than I love anyone else's. He's the only one that gives her hips that match her tits.

Never knew Timm could draw thicc women.

Have you ever seen the girls he draws?

Everybody. And nobody. Bruce's style is beautiful, but he suffers insane sameface problems, especially on women

Lets be honest, is there an artist that specializes in cheesecake that doesn't have sameface problems?

Even Jack Kirby had sameface problems. Especially in the early days

I prefer his Galatea. I'm assuming it's his and not James Tucker's

Yeah. That really plagues the comic industry. I think it's less evident with him because of how stylized his characters are, but Frank Cho has the same problem.
I think it's the worst with Adam Hughes. At least Bruce Timm and to some extent Frank Cho can make different body shapes. Adam Hughes just makes the same woman over and over.
I don't even think this is a cheesecake or even a man issue, because Amanda Conner has the exact same fucking problem.

Yeah he normally gives them perky tits and they're pretty slender.

Does this probelm normally apply to cheesecake artists?

Zimmerman is the worst…

Oh wait. Alan Davis. His women have recognisably different features.
Does Frank Quitely count as cheesecake? His women have radically different faces to the point some people freak out.
George Perez. He used to put a cute little hooked nose on Raven back when every woman in comics was an identical mannequin. And Terra had buck teeth and hamster cheeks…

Never viewed George Perez as cheesecake but I do appreciate him drawing more unique faces.

Not sure about Frank Quitely.

Vampi had an Uzi and a .44 Magnum loaded with holy water-filled dumdum bullets made from a melted down silver crucifix blessed by the Pope, and at one point had a nun's habit made from garlic oil impregnated latex rubber, with a sound-muffling stealth field activated by going "shh" on the breath-triggered activation pad on the index finger.
But her masterstroke was bringing along a priest to bless the rain.

Not really. His stuff is pretty ugly
I wouldn't call Raven cheesecake since Raven was pretty ugly until the cartoon

Pretty much.
She always looked like a 60 year old witch

Sameface is kind of a non-issue when you consider that most working artists don't have the luxury of obsessing over the small things like facial variation because it slows them down.

He does suffer from same face, but I've grown to like his work. It also helps that he's pretty consistent with putting out artwork and it isn't completely awful like a lot of other western artists.

It's not a non-issue or a matter of luxury. It's one measure of an artist's ability.

Does any user have an issue of Vamperella with painted artwork for the actual comic and not just the cover? I remember some panels really sticking out to me and I want to find out what artist was behind them.

Barbucci doesn't seem to have that problem, at least not to a degree that others do.

I think it's just because many artists have the "model" face that they use as a jumping off point. They just draw variations of the same face, and it looks samey to everyone but them. In Cho's and Timm's cases they put subtle differences that could be easily missed or just considered imperfections present in every sketch.

/fit/ Vampi is best

Those tits are fake as fuck.

Are you referring to Joe Jusko's art?

There's a cock hiding under there, isn't there?

Obviously desu.

If you have more, you better post it.

/fit/ will worship this, some one go send this there, they love chick with some sports tone in them.

come to think, why they are not sagging.

They self-insert themselves as mutties or their protectors? Funny, but after I learned more about politics, I always felt like these anti-mutant people were exactly no different from lefties who always love to provoke others by pretending to be the side they're fighting against. By reading further you even find out that there is always someone who is behind all of those movements while most of these evil people are just retarded and huge whinny cunts.

This is pretty good and is quite different from his other work, definitely need more.

Late to the party but even when I love Lady Death more Vampi got her own charm. You can say she's the opposite of Glory.

Wasn't Glory an Image take-off on Wonder Woman?

Yeah, at first. As the story goes the writers made her more distinctive. What I love from Glory is that she can be both badass, a happy girl and even willing to ooze sexuality aura because she's sexy and she knew it.

THIS IS WHY I FUCKING HATE THE JOE KEATING VERSION I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK WHY JOE TURNED HER INTO SOME KIND OF ALBINO FREAK

Meanwhile Wonder Woman is all serious business and it's just getting boring. Even Power Girl is much more enjoyable read compared to Wonder Woman.