GoG Vol.2

All right, this shit is out, so I suppose we should have a thread on it. I just got back from seeing it, and I'd say it was maybe a bit above mediocre. The movie is clearly split in two halves, the first half of the movie is dedicated to fan wankery and is fucking awful. It does nothing but rapid fire jokes and trying to be funny like the kid who reads off twitter posts in an attempt to be your friend. There's three separate plot threads which don't look like they're going fucking anywhere, and the experience as a whole is grating. Then after halfway through, the movie actually becomes serious enough to tell a story with some emotional weight behind it, and ends up being better than the first movie. So overal it's pretty ok.

Here are some points of interest for people who don't want to bother spending the money for the movie
Starlord's dad is Ego The Living Planet, who is a Celestial in this universe
Mantis joins the Guardians
The bad guy's plan is assilimating all planets in the universe into himself, making him the only life form, but he needs another Celestial to supply the needed power
Post-credit trailers reveal that The original comic guardians already exist and have previously been functioning as a team, just not under the name Guardians of the Galaxy and Adam Warlock will be introduced at some point

I might be forgetting stuff, feel free to ask if you want to know more.

Saw it today. I liked it, I thought the overall plot was really interesting and a lot of the jokes were great.

Certain things really stick out, like how they seemed to struggle to find Rocket some shit to do and his plot was pretty weak. I really don't like what they've done with Drax, he's just this big laughing buffoon now and the first movie had a lot more subtle humor. Way too many funny scenes relied on his big awkward laugh.

And of course I think everyone is sick of baby groot, we all know what they're trying to do there. Probably the most annoying forced-meme of the movie.

Here's my biggest problem with the movie: it didn't know how to switch gears from comedy to drama. There were serious scenes where people in the audience were laughing because so much of the movie is throwing jokes into otherwise serious shit. Like whoever was writing it was uncomfortable with having any real drama.

Thank god he'll be an adult in the next movie again. Almost every single Baby Groot moment was awful.

Drax was weird as well, I agree but I didn't think he was awful or anything. He had some really great moments when he was talking about his family, and they really should have had more of him treating the Guardians as his new family instead of them just informing us he feels that way through his matter-of-fact statements.

I gotta say, they finally made a decent villain with Ego the Living Planet. All Marvel villains beforehand sucked including Zemo from Civil War who was ZIMO (Zemo in name only). I'd dare say even better than the Netflix villains who are all pretty stale (every single one has a problematic childhood).

Saw it on Friday. It's definitely one of the better Marvel movies made to date. If the rest of their movies from this point on are at least as good as this, I might actually care to keep seeing them. After Civil War was such a fucking disappointment, I was starting to wonder if it was just a fluke that their other movies were good.

First time in a Marvel movie when someones death has some weight.
The second half pretty much saved the movie and made it a decent product.

Good villain, good story, decent twist, the characters improved during the adventure and the "family" aspect wasn't cringe as the latest Furious movie used it…

I'm curious how will James Gunn close down the GotG story with the vol.3…

It was funn,y the first half made me think it was the worst Marvel movie to date. But by the third act, I was constantly crying from all the emotional moments going on. Yondu's speech to Rocket was really powerful in my opinion.

A friend forced me to watch this movie, it felt like a kids show, I hated it, the only good thing was the ships blowing shit up

Of the few complaints I had, the weird cartoony bits were something I could have done without.

How is she in the movie?

No big role only purpose to push major characters forward. (starts the "Rocket's character plot", hire Yondu, send an army of drone) Plus a few joke involving her and her people…

In the after credit she create Adam in a pod, so hopefully she wouldn't be a throw away character and got atleast as much screen time as Nebula.

Yeah, the "grow the fuck up" speech was really good, but i liked more that how he acted like a real (and i mean a fucking real-life caliber) father figure not just some sugarcoated hollywood cliche (what was Ego).

I didn't mind Baby Groot as much as I thought I would.
Enjoyed the finger scene
Was surprised they showed Ego's real face

I really liked that speech, revealed a lot about Yondu and put Rocket in his place

she wants the Starlord dick

Suppose I wanted to start and read the comics, where should I start with? I don't care if it's another crew or whatever, I just want to read some adventures of a random gang of aliens going from planet to planet and getting into trouble, kind of like Farscape.

Don't give Marvel your money. It's not worth it.

Don't. You can't trust Marvel for shit when it comes to their books. They'll fuck you in the ass every time.

Hes not saying he'll buy a comic, just he wants to read one.

Of course I am not going to buying the comics, I just want to read some of the good ones.

Dan Abnett's run I suppose, since its not influenced by the movies (Gamora isn't some moral center of the group and Drax isn't a literal dumb brute). The Annihilation Wave is also a bretty gud crossover.

The warhammer guy did Guardians of the Galaxy?

enjoy
event after event.
And by good is it enjoyable.

yes, the film is based off his run.
enjoy

How much capelore lore do i need to be aware of going in?

Only really follow Euro comics, sorry.

A huge step-down from the first one. A massive MASSIVE step down. I never did like the gotg comics, but the first one actually made me believe that even the worst concepts could be done well and it even warmed me up to the idea finally enjoying these characters at least in one media outlet… But this… Its like Muppets Most Wanted all over again. Also fuck Baby Groot. Sweet fuck, what a forced attempt to sell toys.

I will give it that. Infinitely better than Jar Jar Abrams' films.

Don't. The comics were always mediocre and the main team has some of the stupidest, convoluted and unappealing origin stories you can find. The newer comics are even worse since they tried to force in that "heven" character from Spawn who they pretty much fucked beyond reason and whose mere existence makes the lore even worse.

Even the Peter Parker Spiderman books?

Especially the Spider-man books.

They had the same line-up of characters, but they were drastically different in personality. The Bendis run made after the movie pretty much ripped off every aspect from the movie and boiled the characters down to memelords.

I don't think you need to read any Earth superheroes to get introduced to the Guardians. I think you can walk in blank except on War of Kings since this is tied with the Inhumans and the X-Men.

I knew she was a slut.

I found this enjoyable. Some of the jokes fell flat, but for the most part it was good. I agree with that the comedy/drama transitions were often abrupt to the point of being jarring. Still, it was good fun overall. Pretty much what I would want from a heroic space opera adventure movie.

R.I.P. Yondu. ;_;7

The use of music in this movie was top-notch. I don't think the ending would have hit me as hard without Father and Son playing.. It's a shame Cat Stevens is an insane terrorist-funding jackass.

There's complaints and nit-picks, without a doubt, but this one goofy, nostalgia-laden capeshit movie ended up being more emotionally resonant with me than pretty much anything else I've seen in years. Like that scene with Drax sitting quietly and staring into the distance after talking about his wife while Mantis starts to sob for him. Right in the feels.

It seems like Ego being the villain was a bit of a contrivance, It seems like they gave him the evil plan just so they could have a bad guy because it's a comic book movie and those need a guy to fight at the end. Why not just have the conflict be mostly about Peter's internal conflict? The whole nature vs nurture is a bit cliche, but putting more focus on Peter figuring out who is a more important father figure and expanding a lot more on the arrogance that his new powers gave him would have been a bit better. They hinted at that in one scene with Gamora with the whole "you don't like it now that I'm part god," but make that more apparent and have actual consequences outside of a single argument. I'm not saying make Ego a goody two shoes who is nice to everyone, just make him more concerned with actually spending time with and molding Peter as someone he can finally talk to for the rest of eternity as an equal. Hell, at best make him apathetic towards the Guardians and other mortals, even maybe "accidentally" make them trip and other shit. He's a several million year old being, play up the fact that the Guardians that are annoying him with there presence will be gone within the blink of an eye to him and are a necessary pain in the ass to keep Peter around long enough to get him on board with being a god
If I could change it, but had to have a villain because executives are up my ass, I would make it Thanos. He was already established as a "threat" in the first Guardians movie, so normalfags wouldn't complain about that. Have him track down the Guardians to through Nebula's cybernetics having built in tracking devices or some shit. He lands on Ego, curbstomps everybody, especially the now egotisticalheh Peter. He has more trouble fighting Ego, but is about to get the Guardians on his ship and has his fleet bomb the shit out of Ego into oblivion. Bam, Thanos has actually done something other than sit down and put on a glove, Ego hasn't become stupidly evil, Peter has a more developed character arc going from leader to god and back to mere mortal who had to get stealthed out by Yondu, Rocket, and Groot. Thanos tortures/tricks information about the Orb out of them, possibly because Drax said something stupid unintentionally, and now we have both a set up for Infinity War and Drax actually had a purpose.

My problem with the bad guy was how they tried to make him truly evil in the end by just having him blurt out that he killed Peters mom right at the end when he was etting him to agree to his plan. In my opinion it would have been a lot better if it carried out like it did but instead of Saying how he put the tumor in her brain, Ego could have said he saw it but didn't fix it so he wouldn't be attached anymore to that planet and could move on with his plan. It makes him less unrepentantly evil and more detached from 'lesser' life, and the fact that he COULD have done something but did not should have been what shook Peter out of his compliance

I'd go even further and make not him evil with the tumor being there in the first place because Ego's avatar is PURE FUCKING ENERGY, which became radiation whenever he let his guard down due to distance and troo wuv. He left so he wouldn't cause any more damage and could learn to control everything by the time Yondu dropped off Peter. Now Peter has a reason not to follow him because even unlimited power has consequences and he just got a new family

Ego could have said he saw it but didn't fix it so he wouldn't be attached anymore to that planet

I think the point of that scene was that Ego didn't give a fuck about anyone and even Peter to some degree. He had already come up with a plan of making more of himself, which he saw of as being worthy companions. The fact that he had just let that bit of information split, showed how little he cared for mortals. The only reason he kept up appearances for Peter was to keep him from running away. Once he had shown him the light, he had assumed Peter was his for the using. I don't think he expected Peter to ever fight back at that point.

I liked the movie, but you guys' ideas would've been better.

So no Nathan Fillion as Wonder-man?

I don't know if you are the same user, but i'm not really into your idea (it's not bad however) mostly because it's tone downs Yondu's sacrifice. Plus it would reduce the Gamora-Nebula synergy. Btw the scene where Gamora refused to partake in a crusade to kill Thanos was a pretty well written one. Currently it's nothing but a suicide mission and even Nebula know that…

Damn more i think about it without the memes and pop culture references this movie would be just perfect… Damn it Marvel!

I wasn't expecting them to actually be called that, considering how much Marvel likes to use the hero names sarcastically in their movies.

1 & 3 are me. I personally think there wouldn't be much difference with the sacrifice scene, he just dies outside of Thanos' spaceship rather than Ego's planet. You are probably right about Gamora/Nebula, but I'm sure someone could think of a way to make it work. Also, maybe we would have a chance at a redo of Rocket saying goodbye to Yondu without the quips that are being drowned out by the music anyway.

I'm the second guy you responded to, and I personally don't think it would cheapen what Yondu did, but it would just deepen the villain a bit by making him seem more callous to lesser life than generically evil. I mean after all this is the guy who keeps everyone he killed in a great big pile where anyone can walk in, he's a complete dickwad, but it would just seem a lot less rushed if Peter would come to the realization of what Ego really was like to others instead of snapping to when he outright says he slowly and painfully murdered his mom in a way that doesn't even fucking make sense since there are better ways to do it if he really cared that much.
And then the movie can continue as normal with the baddie giving him the tentacled bad touch when things go south and then things continuing as normally scripted with at most 30 seconds of extra dialogue.

Me too user, I still am asspained when they smashed cut to black at the end of Avengers 2 right when Captain was about to say AVENGERS, ASSEMBLE. It's nice to see not all writers take the Joss Whedon approach to how to handle your main characters, with everyone being sarcastic and shit about the character names.

It's funny, because Guardians of the Galaxy not only has the most differences from their comic counterparts, but it's also the most removed from being a "superhero" movie, yet it really feels the most genuine version of capeshit in a sense.

It's oddly refreshing that they are so willing to actually be a comic book movie.

Yeah the tumor part was dumb, why not just kill her if he didn't care about her? And if he did care about her why do that at all? Why did his offspring need to be that age?

Because he did care about her, that was the whole point. He knew he was falling in love with her, and he wouldn't want to go through with his plan if he did. He clearly states this. By making a tumor he gets to kill he, but not have to do it himself or suffer through watching her die.

Watched in 3D.

I agree with most everything except
Only Drax called her ugly, and the joke was spread out over multiple small bits in the movie, which made it keep the humor of the joke, unlike all the other jokes that go on for fucking ever. Also, Drax thinking she was hideous made their friendship a lot cuter.
That scene where she breaks down from touching his shoulder almost got me sobbing

That would have worked pretty well with how he treated his other progeny and lend to his whole "god claims to love but has no fucking clue what love is" and have peter freak out about how he actually is a fucking monster. also wink to the original guardians.and I want them to give peter this helmet in the next movie, it just looks so awesome, and howard the duck and cosmo nods are nice.

and he admitted why he said it, and it was kinda sweet. He did so so she would not get attached to him

Why does everyone demand grey morality villains? Ego was fucked in the head, and was an evil piece of shit, and hating him and all he stood for was part of the fun. Grey morality can be good, but that in itself doesn't make a good villain. Sometimes having Extra-Evil Space Hitler is the right villain for the story.

The helmet's a bit to edgy for current GotG.
The only reason Mantis revealed the truth is because after feeling Drax's pain of losing his children she realized that Ego was a monster because he never cared about them> It makes him less unrepentantly evil

I can't speak for everyone, but I like thinking of grey alternatives for him because he tried to be sympathetic until close to the end. If the premise from the start was we gotta kill this giant evil planet I'd definitely be on board, that's metal as fuck. But since the cave of skellys and his confession at the end were the only indicators of evilness outside of predictable cliches, people like thinking of how to handle it better

True on the helm, maybe if they do use the other guardians stalone can have the helmet. also I just figured make ego feign emotion and be more instinctual than emotional and a force of nature could work and still have his motivation intact as well as his cold atitiude to his normal children and the only change would be that the tumor was ignored rather than given by ego, well, unless it was his radiation, and why he did not bother healing peters mom and at the end drax admitted he said those things to mantis to keep her from falling for him

Yeah but that's fucking stupid when this is the guy who kills hundreds of his own children. It's shit writing.

Also… Why the fuck did he need to kill her AT ALL? Because his whole plan would result in her dying anyway, along with every other planet. I mean the entire movie is a metaphor for the deadbeat dad, so the whole "he just disappeared" one day would still work for his motivations by distancing himself from her. Could have still come back for the kid. I mean literally the only reason he would have to kill her is to get Starlord mad at him.

Because he was a monstrous psychopath, and he could feel that love was redeeming him. So he put a stop to that before it happened.

Why not just kill her on the spot then?!

Why do people hire hitmen instead of doing it themselves? They get to pretend they didn't cause their death.

But if he's a cold psychopath with no problem killing his own children then he would feel nothing towards killing her when he realized how much she's changing him.

This is retarded. Love is a change of fucking MIND. Not like a superhero fight in your chest.

If she was CHANGING him, its not like a house and then he walks inside and is like "Oh shit bitch you fucked up all my curtains! Thats it, your getting cancer!".

It would mean he would at least get a sense of perspective.

As dumb as confessing to killing Peter's mother was, the motherfucker is called EGO. Immediately preceding that slip-up, he admitted to finding sentient life fucking disappointing and seriously tried to woo Quill over to his side by telling him that his friends are meaningless compared to the long life he could live. Telling Peter why his mom died was of no consequence to him at that point, since he had already confirmed that Peter was exactly what he needed after so many failures.

Y'all think too much.

Apparently he didn't make the cut.

He was getting one. He literally said, "If I visited her one more time, I knew I would have given up on this plan. But he had been working on this plan for an eternity, and couldn't fathom not living without his life's purpose. He was afraid of falling in love, so he killed her.

… Then why not just kill her, why give her a tumor? See the more you try to explain it the less fucking sense it makes.

Are you the kind of guy who thinks stabbing someone 47 times to death in the middle of dinner is the same as hiring someone to kill them while you're out of town?

Murdering her outright is arguably more intimate than dooming her to died a slow painful death and not being with her to the end

Thats retarded and the equivalent of a boondocks parody (Skip ahead to 0:48)

Why did i say 0:48. Its at 0:10

Are you the person who thinks shooting someone in the head is worse than injecting them with a HIV-infected needle? So he is a psychopath who doesn't care about life at all, but cared about this one woman, but decided to kill her, but kill her in a very prolonged and terrible way. When in fact she would have ended up dead anyway if his plan worked…

Why are you going to such lengths to cover up this glaring plothole?

Because in the end, he wasn't trying to avoid her suffering, he was trying to avoid HIS pain of watching her die. So he implants a tumor in her head that doesn't effect er while he's with her, and then fucks off across space and doesn't have to watch the horrible death she goes through.

I fucking hated almost every Marvel movie after Avengers 2, so seeing this was a pretty nice surprise.

I enjoyed it
Drax was annoying
Major dadfeels with yondu
Good music

He needed Peter to have no attachments to the planet, so that he would have an easier time getting him to Ego. After considering the movie a bit more, it does look like Ego began to genuinely fall for Peter's mother. He does need to return to the planet, but he said that he made 3 separate trips to Earth. I see it as Ego was falling for her and was going to pass on his master plan, but he eventually snapped out of it and felt that Peter's mom had to go. Unfortunately, Ego couldn't do the deed himself like he did to that fleet of drones, so he gave her a tumor willingly or by accident and left her to die. Even though he had no idea what love really was, he was still being influenced by it and held back on Peter for a lot of their fight. He even planned to imprison him for a thousand years in hopes that Stockholm syndrome would kick in. Ego was not a loving father and he had no clue what love is, but his visit to Earth and Peter's mother did manage to change him a little bit.

I can see that. He was still an immortal being whose sole purpose in life, to spread Ego, was now in danger by an Earth woman that he was beginning to feel and fall for. However, Ego was still immortal and needed to keep his purpose, so he essentially poisoned her and let her die out of sight and out of mind. He then sent Yondu for Peter, so that he could maintain that state.

That would involve him getting face to face with her, which he couldn't afford to do anymore.

It looks like he drained his children dry and then kept their corpses with him rather than just sending them into space. He didn't seem like the type to be directly confrontational, which is why he destroyed that fleet from offscreen and why he attacked Peter from behind. It wasn't until they were at his core that he started going all out. Even then, the entire time he was fighting Peter, he kept trying to reason him into joining him even after spilling the beans on his mother. I'd say that shows Ego doesn't have a real grasp on emotions due to the nature of his immortal existence, but that he can also learn them if he wants to.

>That scene where she breaks down from touching his shoulder almost got me sobbing
Tell me about it, man. And this is on top of Drax already showing glimmers of being more emotional and somber than we've ever seen him. Who knew Bautista would be such a fun actor?

Why didn't Ego bring the main character's mother to his planet instead of killing her? I understand that if he visited Earth one more time, he would have remained there are forget about his plan, so why he didn't just bring her and his kid to the planet? Even if Peter didn't get the god-gene, there was enough room on the planet for a few more people, like with the bug-lady whose sole purpose was to put him to sleep, the mom's purpose was to be a lover, and Peter someone to play catch with.

not loads but a basic background helps
There's a lot of introductions and origins in this.

Main things you should know of:
Inhuman's (Paul Jenkin's maxi series is a great introduction)
Silver Surfer I guess
Infinity Gauntlet (the event)
Maybe Jack Kirby's Eternal's?

but apart from that you should be relatively golden.

last one is wrong, they're meant to be gems.
I'm glad they're starting to take the classic appearance though.
The mind, time and power look good.
It's just the space and reality that look weird

it was a nice scene, she was feeling exactly what he did, he wasn't hysterical or sobbing.
He was stoic and tried to stay strong.
These gotg films are surprisingly emotional, christ the first one started with someone's mom dying of cancer

I think the explanation was that he found other lifeforms to be disappointing. Mating with them was just part of his plan to create another Celestial. Perhaps he was actually in love with every alien he ever fucked, which is why Yondu was the one delivering them to him before he found out they were being killed.. But I think the "love" aspect may be a bit wonky, because the real Ego is a big fucking brain that perceived the universe as a meaningless void for him to manipulate. The body is just a puppet built with all the right parts and capacity for feelings, but at the end of the day, it's not the real Ego and it's not capable of going beyond its purpose as a means to an end, and if it were allowed to stay in love while away from his planet self, it would sabotage the greater plan.

For the user who is too stubborn to understand why the main villain killed Peter mother with a tumor:
- Check out his name buddy!
- Re-read the posts what the other user write to explain step-by-step his personality
- Re-watch the movie to see that not just the main cast improve through the story but the villain too by revealing how big selfish douchbag really he is.

All of this make him a some-what gray. But not because he is a space-hitler, but rather a fucking selfish son of a bitch.

And the answer for the why he killed his other sons and daughters: Because he didn't want one, all he wanted is an exact same entity like him. With the same egoistic thinking. Or you could say, a fucking clone-like offspring.

They won me on that one.

I've never read Guardians and go into the (few) movies I've seen pretty much blind outside of the general knowledge stuff about the big name heroes like Iron Man and Thor and shit. I never actually knew Guardians was a thing until the movie because I never really talked comics with people. But I keep seeing people mention allusions or references to the original Guardians from the comics. Are they talking about Stallone and the aliens at the end of the movie?

Yup. Each of the Ravager captains they showed were meant to be the original Guardians of the Galaxy, which did include Yondu, who was just a blue alien with a bow.

Is her purpose in the film to accentuate Gomorrah being ugly as fuck?

I wish I'd been more savvy to it. That's actually pretty neat.

All they are missing is Vance Astro.

Disappointing they're not all dressed closer to their original looks. I just want a comic book movie to actually be a comic book movie for once. We don't need gritty "realistic" costumes.

They made a few concessions to balance the grit with the goofy capeshit.

I haven't seen the movie but to me it looks like they really misused Liz Debicki by having her painted gold and look so weird. That woman is a 10/10 and definitely would make Zoe or any other woman look ugly. Why oh why is she painted metallic gold here and made to look so bizarre? For real, even the literal comic book Ayesha is more attractive to me than what I'm seeing here.

Yeah elo is perfect for the opening scene

This thread is suprisingly civil

Was it just me, or did it seem like Groot was dancing to a different track? I wonder if they changed it in post production or something.

That's because we're not on Holla Forums. Tried to have a thread there. One autist whined about capeshit and another guy tried really hard to derail it by talking about British humor.

I supposed it's a good mix. But my ideal is make a comic accurate costume out of materials that don't make it look like cheap spandex. Something akin to what Watchmen did with their costumes.

Holla Forums has gone to complete shit.

On a separate note, it looks like Adam Warlock won't be in the Infinity Gauntlet movie, but will be in GotG vol 3. I wonder if they'll split the Infinity Gauntlet movie into 2 parts, so that Adam can go up against Thanos?

FYI, as a fun fact, that one alien was doing the exact same type of magic that Dr.Strange does, and gets the title of Sourcerer Supreme for a tie in the comics.

Honestly Infinity War should be like, 3-5 movies. Have 2 movies or so focus on what different teams are doing to build up against Thanos, and have a giant smorgasbord of a fight as Thanos plows through New York City, while we see Daredevil and people doing their best to save people in the background.

Finally saw the movie myself out of boredom. Much better than I expected. Even cried at the end scene. But it's a beautifully imperfect movie. Has heart but turns up everything from the first movie to 11. So it's a bit unfunny honestly. Didn't hate it at least. The best way I can describe it is if a bunch of kids were playing superheroes. Because everyone acts like a goof here. Especially Drax. This will be most likely the last Marvel movie I watch though. So at least it's good to end it on a decent note.

Anyone here think that mantis would have looked better in the movie if she was green just like in the comics?

???

Way better. Drax was right to call her ugly.

Is this the most realistic MCU movie to date?

This movie killed my appeal for that character completely. He went from sympathetic because of guinea pig past life to insecure asshole you want to kick in the teeth.

Jesus Christ same picture and everything
hang yourself

Ayyy lmao

How did you know where he came from? Want to tell us something about yourself, filthy rapefugee.

You need to go back, you fucking crossposter.

Probably. To be fair, she started out non-green, and switched between green and non-green throughout the years. Green version is the best, though.

Both of you are refugee faggots and should kill yourselves.

She probably would have looked better, but having to green chick aliens in the crew might be a bit weird, in an "oversaturation" kind of way.

with just two of them?

Maybe, but she was cute anyway.

It's more too many green aliens. Drax, Gamora, and technically bits of Groot are all green. So another green alien would probably be too much. Least they're introducing Adam Warlock next movie or in Infinity War.

>Start thinking about Yondu's death

I didn't even cry at my Grandma's funeral, but this fucking movie hit me incredibly hard and stuck with me a week later. Say what you will about the assorted faults, but I can't think of any other movies that got to me like this, besides maybe SLC Punk.

the only MCU movie that made me actually feel emotional at a death scene

Well because this death scene will probably be the only permanent one ever. Besides Stan Lee's. They could CGI him anyway.

if she was green they couldn't say she's asian and that's why she was there

Maybe they were trying to avoid having to hire another entire team of makeup artists everytime they introduce a new character.

i enjoyed it tought it had it flaws. like some jokes that went for too long and basically there are most of the time on one planet, but i liked that there was more interactions between characters i guess and too many action scenes especially the ones with expolsions makes me asleep.But the battles with sovergeins were pretty fun, mostly beacuse of the concept of using drones,and having arcade machines as a control station. I think the best thing was in the movie was Drax/Mantis relationship after seeing some trailers somehow i tought they will fall in love with each other but thank god i was wrong.I also liked that yondu F got more screentime and making him more interesting. The villain in the Marvel movie was memorable for once, tought i guess it hard to make a big fucking living planet forgetable, but i liked him nonetheless mostly because of kurt russel.
From the cons, th biggest problems were when there was supposed serious scene they forcing "funny" thing like with pac-man and Peter's Hasslehoff monologue.
But it actually felt like a movie and not a
bland product like doctor strang was kinda for me.

I thought the pac-man moment was just the right amount of levity, but I definitely agree on the Hasslehoff cameo.

yeah marvel's known for being really conservative about makeup

I liked the Pac-Man bit.

I did not come to this movie for this feeling.

>Just because he's your father, don't mean he's your daddy!
;_;

The only Guardians of the Galaxy comic I ever read took place in the 30th century or something. How close are these movies to the GoG comics they're based on?

trying not to sound like a well known star trek character, but you can never have too many green skinned women.

Mantis wasn't originally green in her earliest comic appearances. And according to James Gunn, they already had issues with Zoe Saldana's makeup fucking with the green screen filming. Apparently they darkened Drax's skin for the same reason.

The movies use the Abnett and Lanning run as a blueprint at best, so not that close.

They made Gamora look even worse in the comics. Disgusting.

the artist was trying to make her look like Zoe Saldana.

They failed immensely and just ruined the comic version even more.

To try and cash in on Zoe Saldana's popularity.

He only made the first two. The third one he all but abandoned it for Star Wars, which was why the third one was fucking great.

It's because GotG isn't actually a marvel movie, it isn't made by the retarded brain trust that pumps out all the other shit. It's a James Gunn movie, or at least Gunn has more influence over it than the other directors do and that's a good thing. GotG v2 is the best marvel movie and I'd say it's a genuinely good movie as well. the first movie was alright, but gets better if you watch the second one directly after it.

Probably because if Peter turned out to not be a Celestial he would've killed him just like all the other non-celestial kids and that would've fucked her up really good.

Makes sense. It's also heavily implied that he actually was in love with her. If he'd take her to his planet and given her eternal life (probably in his power) then he'd just give up on his dream entierly.

Thanks!

This is truth.

Well then. I was a moron and spoiled myself coming in here. Yondu's death and funeral still hit me like a freight train. I really can see this as better than the first now, for all its flaws.

They kinda are, when you look at the films.

WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA

[MASSACRE INTENSIFIES]

the movie has a very special place in my heart… considering I have a very complicated relationship with my dad…
that end gives me feels…
especially when I listen to the song.

This scene was pretty fucking metal to be honest.

I think what makes the movie so good is that its a very Dude focused movie. A lot of it is about relating to your father which every boy especially can relate to. Nothing can ever match that bond. Its part of what makes Ego an interesting villain. I just wanted to fucking shake his ass and yell, "Look motherfucker. You found meaning in quill's mom and you made another celestial the old fashioned way! You threw it away like a dumbass!"

Did I walk into a marketing operation or have people here lowered their standards this far

None of the above: Maybe you're just a jaded shit.

So it's the former, good to know.
Just a heads up: Talking about "feels" is cuckchan from 5 years ago lad. Nowadays it only finds use in Wojak, tell your supervisor.

It's past your bed-time, Timmy.

I don't think he's a shill, he's probably just one of the newfags we've been flooded with lately. That said have you actually seen the movie? Because I haven't, from what I've seen it seems like the first one but played for laughs more, but that could just be bad marketing.

I've been here 3 years, faggot. Anyway, yeah, the media is misleading. In some ways it's better than the first.

I just like the movie. Im a guy with simple tastes and don't usually like stuff too serious. Im not a shill since Ive not bought comics since 2011 and would rather marvel burned but I can admit I enjoyed this one. I'm not a newfag I just drop in every now and then when I have shit i wanna see discussion about. I get so tired of seeing the latest bullshit going on at the big 2 so I dont keep a tab open generally.

I seriously hope Adam Warlock does play a part in the Infinity Gauntlet movie due to his relationship with Thanos in the comics.

Yes Groot was dancing to Mr. Blue Sky.

I was surprised how they were able to make the song Brandi by Looking Glass so ominous.

I think I spotted the cuckchan faggot.

I wish they movie version would come out cuz it had this operatic singing at the end and electric guitars playing.

That's what I meant. Mr Blue Sky was playing, but Groot's dance looked like it belonged to a different song.

Wow you might just be retarded

The film is mediocre in every sense of the word. The action scenes are good, but it's not hard to do good action scenes anymore. The story is pretty nonsensical and almost every time Groot is on screen they're fishing to pop-culture credits. Rocket is good because wears thin after a while, while Chris Pratt's acting is one of the film's best parts. Guy knows what he's doing.
People saying they cried at the end scene are hyping the movie up to be more than it is. It's sad, but it's not that fucking sad. Likely lack significant male figures in their lives, so I guess if you have were raised by a single mother this movie might be a bit more appealing to you. Media nowadays is so shit that even showing a positive father-son relationship is considered too emotional.

I suspect they had the rights to that song, but wanted something that looked nicer in gifs.

What the fuck kinda logic is that?

fuck off, mine died a couple years back.

Well if he hadn't maybe you'd have better taste in films

Who said the movie is good because the thread is old? You're retarded for showing up to whine about shills this long after the movie has already been out.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as everyone else.

It's a shame that we've never got Edgar Wright's Ant-Man. Based on what he said, it would be a heist/espionage comedy. What we've got was bland action comedy.

You could even rewrite the dead sons as not being outright killed as batteries but dying from a tumor because they didn't have Ego's gene. It still would keep Yondu's character of having second thoughts of giving Ego his kids because even if it wasn't the latter's intention, it sucks greatly for the kids. It makes Ego less of generic evil villain and more of an antagonist who can't understand mortality, especially if you keep his plans for spreading the tumors. But rewrite the motivation as just simply trying to enlighten the universe with his influence, but instead the attempt created those tumors. So he reasons that it's no loss if the people worthy of existing are people like him unaffected by the tumors.

Wasn't Groot dancing the same dance Starlord did in the beginning of the first movie?

Is there some way to get a side-by-side?

I find it funny that Kurt Russell and Jeff Bridges have very similar looks and similar roles. Like Ego's pretty much an amalgam of Kevin Flynn (the classic God appearance, Protag is a son of his that has abandonment issues) and CLU (Antichrist archetype, acts friendly while simultaneously acting like a prick, can't stand imperfection)

I was partway through the movie before I realized Ego was Snake Plisken and not The Dude.

Fuck I thought Snake Plisken was played by Harrison Ford for a second. Jesus those guys are triplets.

I legitimately didnt realize it wasnt Jeff Bridges until someone pointed it out to me, which is weird since they sound nothing alike.

Who did Bridges play before Obadiah Stane that "caught people off guard"?

I fell in love with her, im being serious

I legitamately loved this movie, every part of it resonated in me and made me smile. This movie feels like every single costume designer, concept artist, special effects artist, camera man and director loved every second of making it

You're a faggot for admitting that, although I did get slightly choked up at a few things that happened after that, so we're all faggots anyway.

I got to see this with my dad when it first came out, I will admit it had its flaws but it actually hurt me at the end when with Yondu, I know he was going to die as soon as he had that conversation with Stallone about how he would never have a Ravager funeral, but how he died and the scene immediately following with Father and Son playing fucking got to me harder than it had any right to. I feel like this had the most heart of all Marvel movies so far to be honest, the theme of dads\fathers was done pretty good outside of usual daddy issues like Iron Man had.
Cherish your family while you can guys, they're all you get

I liked the blue robot girl

Also the actress is super hot

Your reaction make it looks like positivity hurts you internally.

To be honest this movie is pretty good. Compared to Thor series with Loki having a daddy issues GOTG2 actually address it better.

Nice backside, that one.

Personally, I like to believe that everyone had the genetic connection. Quill was the only one old enough to explore it. Marvel does alot the "powers show up at puberty" skit, and if Quill's pattern holds, Yondu shows up to fetch the kids kinda early in their lives.

Its likely, if not certain, Ego just found painless deaths for the kids who failed. He indeed doesnt see preciousness in mortals and aging (much less aging as growth?), but he Does see pain.

I'm certain Ego didn't kill them horribly, but I'd argue that that's what makes him such a complete monster. He seems to have an understanding of morality and feel the difference between right and wrong, he just happily ignores it when it suits him.