Cryptocurrencies and Technology

Anyone here know of cryptocurrencies that have genuinely interesting and developed technology behind them?

Very few interest me. Monero seems like it has advanced privacy enhancing features that make it a no brainer if someone wants to anonymously exchange value between each other. The Brave browser also adds novel features to the browsing experience that aren't seen in mainstream browsers unless you add extensions to certain ones.

Let me know if there's any legitimate technology out there that I'm missing. Most projects with a "product" suck a fat cock and don't have a working product to speak of.

Other urls found in this thread:

0xproject.com/portal
status.im/
youtu.be/WUuEuEjCarE
xcpdex.com/matches
steemit.com/hot
ropsten.kyber.network/
coindesk.com/paranoia-rules-ethereum-smart-contract-security-advancing/
ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/11092/what-is-formal-verification-and-why-is-it-important-for-smart-contracts
steemit.com/@voxxe
steemit.com/created/pivx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't know how I missed this thread, I love blockchain and DAG (directed acyclic graph) technologies.

The Good
The obvious one. A distributed and open-source, stack-based, turing-complete virtual machine. I've written a lot of Solidity, it's a neat task to work around managing gas costs, making you want to optimise what you can. If you love solid mathematical proof, read the yellowpaper, it throughly and logically describes the intricacies of the system.

The RingCT, stealth addressing, and ASIC resistance (thanks to CryptoNote). Fungibility is also based.

An in-development competitor to Ethereum. Aims to introduce parallelised processing among nodes to increase execution time (and potentially reduce costs?), among other iimpressive changes. Wants users to not have to pay fees for non-transactions. Governance model is scary though (testnet currently live). Executes/will execute WebAssembly (apparently, I haven't yet installed the testnet).
Disclaimer, I plan to buy about 2kUSD EOS in a couple days

Blockchain-based, decentralised cloud storage, cheaper than amazon and google drive and that. Very cool, still under development but the client and daemon software is available for download. Everything works, too, though it can be buggy. Written entirely in go. Bitmain released an ASIC for it a couple days ago.

EC2 on the blockchain. Currently in alpha, and only does rendering for Blender. Aims to be able to execute all sorts of shit for low fees in future, github is active.

DAG with conditional payments, smart contracts, TOR support, untracable payments, and a host of other guff. Way faster than a blockchain. Very, very cool.

If you're not balls deep in ChainLINK you're already too late.

xrb whale here. just bought 5k ;)

Go all in on AMB in the next hour.

should have listened to me ;)

care to justify any of the avoid list?

600 gorillion nem just got hijacked from tokyo niggers

All shitcoins. No software, they kang all their code, no real use case, obvious scams, many more reasons. 90% of everything is crap, and this strongly applies to Cryptocurrency.

Disclaimer, I am a little buttmad at these projects with nothing but flashy websites and lists of advisors, who make millions overnight. I plan to launch a blockchain technology soon (actually, initializing the git today), and would feel dirty launching it without at least a working alpha.

copy and pasting an erc20 token isn't creating a blockchain technology pajeet

What do you think about this?

That's what happens when you need to minimise bloat, you get infinite loops due to fucked up types and no real constants. The call stack depth of 1024 makes sense though. If it didn't have a sane depth, it would be and to DoS the network with enough gas afaik

What do you think of chainlink

Yeah. I'll list them all down:

aren't the lower transaction costs a tangible benefit?

yes, Bitcoin
kys

The Ethereum apps I've seem so far are just other cryptocurrencies built on top of Ethereum or literal ponzi schemes.

I want to believe, but Ethereum just looks like a neat toy with a bunch of hype.

Because that's the easiest stuff to make, and it's also much easier than renaming "bitcoin" to "GarlicBoner" in the source of bitcoin core. There's some good stuff and more is always coming. Stuff like EtherDelta, Gnosis, Leeroy, Augur, A bunch of IPFS stuff, or CryptoKitties show what can be done. It's a turing complete computer so you could write anything, even I have a couple ideas for actual substantial programs (when I'm out of uni I'll be implementing them).

No idea what that is, I will look into it, 99% chance it's absolutely dogshite though

I guess, but BTC has lightning networks and everything else has pretty low fees as it is.

Well, I went though the top 100 on coin marketcap and picked the ones I thought would appeal to you, OP

0x (ZRX) a decentralized exchange. This is the actual DApp: 0xproject.com/portal
Status (SNT) Ethereum Mobile OS that isn't Google Android but will probably fail but is interesting none the less: status.im/
Counterpart (XCP) / Counterparty DEX and ( youtu.be/WUuEuEjCarE ) pretty sure this is the actual exchange: xcpdex.com/matches
FunFair (FUN) which has a real program I believe and you can really gamble with the tokens
Dent (DENT) is for decentralized roaming/cell data exchange but still being developed but very promising
GameCredits (GAME) I have on my desktop (pictured) and looks like I can literally purchase stuff
Steemit (STEEM) / Steem Dollars (SBD) Notice how the people's comments have a $ amount. Some people are paid to participate instead of the site?: steemit.com/hot
Kyber Network (KNC) which is another decentralized exchange for Ethereum tokens: ropsten.kyber.network/
and... BAT/Brave browser like you said

Are Ethereum smart contracts and its VM provably correct and secure?
If not, then you are essentially a shill trying to promote something because he has a lot of it.

I am right now independently, financially independently.
I am saying to so many people who said that this was going to be a con artist game, that this was going to be a scammer game.
“Hey you gonna lose all your money.” My wife still doesn’t believe in me. I’m telling her but honey look this is real. “Oh nonononono, that’s a scam.”
And I said “but wait I’m gonna go to the bank, I’m gonna get my bitcoins, I’m going to actually put it into dollars. Here they are right on the table.”
“Nooo, that’s money they took from another account.” I'm say what am I gonna do?
Then I said to myself, you know what, when I am starting to put 10 thousand dollars a day on her, right on her, you know on her table then she is gonna say WOAH HAHAHA YOYO ok thats real.
So guys, I wanna tell you something, faith and belief is the one thing that we all need to be able change the world, and right now I believe that in this groom we have the seed thats going to germinate and its going to explode into an amazing opportunity for us to change this entire world.
I am so proud, I am so honored, I am so excited to be here right now and let me tell you something that each and every one of you has the opportunity to become like those amazing people that we know here from Vietnam. Hey hey my group from Vietnam! Making so much money that they could probably have a real hard time counting it.
HAHAHA.
So guys let me tell you that I loooveee bitconnecttt!

Yes, read the Ethereum yellowpaper.
Also, I don't own any Ether and I don't advise for or against buying any. I've disclaimer'd everything else relevant I've said. I would ever only advise that you buy BTC.

What about BAT and the Brave browser?

Golem honestly pissed me off at how long their development takes. Have they released Brass Golem yet?

Then how did the DAO hack happen? If contracts are provably correct, then no bugs should be possible.
This article seems to suggest a lot of these things are works in progress.
coindesk.com/paranoia-rules-ethereum-smart-contract-security-advancing/
The fact that people would put money into something that was quickly thrown together and improved afterwards, rather than carefully designed
ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/11092/what-is-formal-verification-and-why-is-it-important-for-smart-contracts
Also, from this stack exchange:

The system itself is provably correct. But the contracts are just programs like you get on any other OS, written by the same shitty programmers. Ethereum is like seL4, formally correct but shitty programmers can still write shitty programs on top of that, that's nothing to do with the EVM.

Nah, sorry m8, whatever is literally based off Javascript can go to hell
Yes, it's good.
Literally a meme with no development.
You mean "MITM".
Again, same issue.
I'll be honest, I have no idea here.
It's...yea, a "maybe".

Why?

Not all correct systems make it equally easy to put correct things on top. I don't know what the EVM is like, but it's fair to assign it responsibility for the quality of the things written on top of it, just like it's fair to judge programming languages for the things written in them.

Are you dense? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about

Cool, thanks for confirming I can dismiss your opinion

Linden Dollars, the rest are worthless

Yes I know the symbology is bad for Cardano, but is there another reason to avoid it?

Given how slow the blockchain can be... is this feasible or a meme scam to steal from non Holla Forums people.

I'd avoid that just (((because)))

PIVX is better than Monero because zerocoin and I like the branding better. Monero sounds too much like amero, euro, ect

Isn't that just an in-game currency for second life?

I'm surprised there hasn't been an Open World VRMMO project using crypto as the in-game currency yet.

I wish I was Holla Forums, Holla Forums, and /loomis/ because I think that could make bank and be a service to escapists everywhere.

steemit.com/@voxxe

You can use it, right now. it's still not perfect but it's very much working.

Besides PIVX's privacy features in general being garbage, you are retarded for thinking like that.

The contracts are part of the overall system. If they can't be proven correct and secure, then the whole system is flawed.
They really should have taken their time but I understand the desire to be first.
There is certainly value in being first, and in being relatively easy to use, which is a claim about the Solidity and Ethereum smart contracts, but I think security and provability at every level (yes even down to the source code) should be required for any software dealing with things this important.
Yes, this would likely take decades of development (imaging if seL4 was millions of lines of code), but it would be worth it in the end IMO.
As it is, the decisions made in developing Ethereum no doubt allowed it to take the 2nd spot (maybe 1st eventually?) and the hype machine behind it is certainly impressive (seems to be the coin of choice in silicon valley) but I think it is destined to have the occasional catastrophic bug/hack discovery requiring a fork every once in a while for perpetuity because of those very same decisions.

How so?
Really user, as far as I can tell it is on the forefront of privacy. Please educate me.

The contracts execute on a virtual machine. ""The EVM and the Ethereum blockchain are provably secure."" It is impossible to write a system in which programmers can only write "provably secure" software. There's no way to prove software like you think there is.

The forefront of privacy is so far away from PIVX, you'd have to squint to see it.

The "" quotes are supposed to do bold text but appear not to work

Following up to what I said, the only "privacy coin" (I hate that term) worth a shit is Monero. Demonstrably.

It could end up going in the shitter. ((Greg Maxwell)) is now on-board.

Who?
Also, it's 3 parentheses either side, but why use parentheses? If you're going to tell the world you're a moron, just prefix their name with "that kike".

Yeah, so energy efficient?

Wut? DASH doesn't have zerocoin... or any other coin except PIVX as far as I am aware. Best privacy.

Wut nigger?
Do you even know what that means.

Yeah... and? Zerocoin hides what you want to hide and it will be mandatory in future.

Who cares? It's cheerleading. Marketing is good.

Stabilizes the value of the currency. How is this a bad thing.

This is the only worrying thing if true. But it goes for most coins out there too.

steemit.com/created/pivx

Is not safe for a mainline network. Even Vitalik knows this.

It's a fucking mixer, dumbass. There's no privacy involved, same shit as dash

IT MEANS THE TRANSACTION ISN'T PRIVATE, DUMBASS

No, look at Dash. All masternodes do is centralise control and make a Sybil easier, as well as provide an easy access for malicious actors

You know nothing about what makes a cryptocurrency private, do you? Sell your PIVX and get out of crypto, if you can't do basic research it's not for you

Nope. The mixer is what they had before.

Explain and why are you being derogatory to the one who founded the second largest market cap crypto?

What is zerocoin? lets not get emotional now...

It was probably an inside job. It would not be the first time one of the "nem team" ripped off an exchange.
Last year a character by the moniker of kodytycoon ripped off polianex for 2500000 nem. He even admitted it on bitcointalk

Learn to read, dumbass.

Besides being wrong (Satoshi's vision is a cryptographically secure p2p payment system)...
A system with a PUBLIC LEDGER is NOT PRIVATE. I am using caps to make my point, because you seem to be unable to read.

A malicious actor with a large amount of money can literally buy up as many masternodes as they like. Hackers, too. Did you not see the missing NEM over the past week?