Convincing proprietary software devs to make their project FOSS?

I've recently got fed up trying to find a browser I liked both aesthetically and morally, and settled on whatever offered the most compatibility with plugins and good privacy policy/features. Stumbled upon Vivaldi. I like nearly everything about it, but now I'm upset it's so good, yet it's proprietary. Seems like it's a licence change away from perfection.
How can one convince a proprietary browser company to go FOSS? I don't want to have to abandon this. It's comfy.

Other urls found in this thread:

vivaldi.com/source/
help.vivaldi.com/article/is-vivaldi-open-source/
vivaldi.com/privacy/vivaldi-end-user-license-agreement/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Done. You see the kind of pull I have?
vivaldi.com/source/

Does Vivaldi come with a bunch of hip and useless features I can't easily turn off like Firefox? I'm never using pocket Firefox, I want you to render webpages you FUCK.

It seems pretty straight forward from what I've seen. Haven't noticed any features I'ven't made use of/plan to make use of.

I have been using it for over a year now and I have founds its quite clean.

So your suggesting making a freely licensed fork, kinda like how icecat is to firefox, but with vivaldi? I suppose that's possible.

genius

Oh look, another browser thread!!!

I don't think that's the whole source:
help.vivaldi.com/article/is-vivaldi-open-source/

(((they))) are just sliding the technical threads as to shoah them.

The browser mentioned is only one example. Their main question about changing good proprietary software to FOSS licenses is the main topic.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots
vivaldi.com/privacy/vivaldi-end-user-license-agreement/

That doesn't answer OP's question. The goal is to convince the owners to make the official FOSS, as the fact that it is so well made yet remains unfree is kinda sad.

Not everyone is interested in communism, go figure.

At least before the progressives got involved

Semi-serious answer: buy their business faggot. That's how you "convince" them. Of course, you will drive development into the grave but that's OK because at least the browser will be moral by your standards!

Only by convincing them that doing so would increase their profits, whether that is true is another matter. This is what the OSI does, the FSF tries to convince users to reject proprietary software, because unlike the amoral beings that are corporations not all of them act solely for short-term profit. You could try Otter Browser which is free software and made to be like old opera as well.

Yeah, it's a great browser. It's too bad I can't use my favorite firefox plugins with it, and I don't think it has some kind of sync feature, otherwise it would be perfect.

Vivaldi is a HTML+angularjs UI wrapper around vanilla chromium, there also may be an internal webserver running locally for the settings.
The punchline is that you can easily turn them off and get a vanilla chromium experience, which also saves you like 90% of startup time and 50% of page loading.

One does not convince fuckers who in first place chose proprietary license over libre license. They did it for reason (datamining, shitty code, assholes, dicks).
(((webpage)))

Have you wondered why so many cool projects are not using the license you want them to use?

Have you wondered why projects that use the license you want to use seem to be so unfinished?

does it print money? no
goodbye

oh no what will we do without it

True
20 or 30 years ago that would be a challenge but not impossible.
Browsers are impossible to finance without being disturbed by third parties, look at mozilla they literally have millions but they have so much bullshit going one because of compromises
Vivaldy does the same, they do some openwashing, add spyware into the binary and they get money from the data they sell.
Browsers are such a pillar of money and botnet that it's in my opinion impossible to make a project because there's so fucking much bullshit to implement thanks to javascript that it's mandatory to have multiple paid teams working on it everyday plus all of the interest that google and other faggots wants to do with it.
Problem is that nobody wants to pay their software, it's gratis/comes on already installed on the PC, you can thanks microsoft for making this shit reality.
One shall judge by the code and nothing else.

-RMS

Any proof that Vivaldi is spyware?

(Beyond being a Chrome clone I mean).

Apples and Oranges.

vivaldi is shit. browser plugins are shit. any browser that needs them in order to view a paragraph of text, is shit. perhaps you should change your goal from "moral" to "useful"

Now that's a massive red flag. I also wonder if they track the frequency of these unique ids seeing ads for and visiting one of their "partners".

We aren't using you're shitty browser. Not now, not ever. GTFO.

These days I honestly struggle to know which browser is "least shit".

This and it feels horrible. I have been bouncing around for about a year now and each one has some flaw that drives me away from it. None of them satisfy me when previously I used the same browser for over 10 years. What a nightmare.

To be honest, the one I trust the most is actually Safari, that is taking into consideration their business model. The most secure against outside threats is probably Chrome, but we all know their business model. The other Chrome clones have to make money somehow in dubious ways, and I can see them whoring themselves out to a wider group than even just Google. Firefox I would say is the worst of all; insecure, slow and is cavalier regard to user privacy.

*slow and has a

Using iridium from mum's laptop with umatrix. Pretty comfy I must say. When I compare it with her backup Qauntum.. whew, no suprise mozilla is fucked. >and is cavalier regards user privacy Where does that came from?
links ftw

How about the most recent incident: Installing an extension surreptitiously in partnership with the marketing department for the Mr Robot show. Or how about their Pocket and Telemetry addons.

Very fucking impossible with any sort of proprietary software.

Apple is part of PRISM, you luser.

I'm pretty sure Mozilla is too.

Vivaldi sucks lol

It's a chrome clone with a bloat interface coded in javascript? Why do you want this as part of your life?

>>>/out/
>>>/4chan/

Become a tranny and explain how their non-free code is persecuting you, user

Falsely claim they only provide sauce to alt-righters.