gist.github.com/miniupnp/9b701e87f14ad3e0a455cfb54ba99fed
tenfourfox.blogspot.fi/2018/01/actual-field-testing-of-spectre-on.html
github.com/mistydemeo/tigerbrew
floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
forums.macrumors.com/forums/powerpc-macs.145/
forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-youtube-player-downloader-even-for-g3.2031523/
powerpc-notebook.org/en/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Those were damn good computers. The last Macintosh I used as a daily driver.

There will never be non-thin non-botnet laptops ever again. RIP in peace.

P-p-p-powerbook, famalam

Every single x86 Mac ever made is rekt. I hope Applel kept a couple of G5 Powermacs and Xserves around the office.

From a hardware perspective, for the moment they seem to have some security advantages. And there seems to be some non-Apple operating environments for them now, so overall I wouldn't fault anyone giving this a shot.

How long does the battery last?

Two hours with the old powerpc mac osx. But with a hardened gentoo install you would definitelly get more out of it. It's very nice considering its not a fucking botnet compared to x86 cpu's.

3-5 hours depending on what you do. I get 4 hours just doing shitposting and random things with a good battery.

There have been macppc ports since these things came out. Ubunto had an official port until 16.04. It's still getting updates unofficially. Gentoo and the BSD's still officially support macppc.

Also Haiku and Amiga, although the former isn't really bothering anymore and Amiga is Amiga. But, in any event, the point is that PPC's hardly tied into just Apple on the software end.

Apple is actually starting to roll out their iphone proccessor into the newer macbooks. I don't know it's architecture though.

arm

ARMv8/aarch64 with some variant of DDR, which is also vulnerable to Spectre.

;w;

You shouldn't need to be told this but every PPC processor including and beyond the PowerPC 601 (1994) is vulnerable because they all include speculative execution. The vulnerability is within speculative execution as a computing concept. No mainstream CPU released in the last 20 years is immune to Spectre, we're all in the same boat.

The point is not necessarily to avoid Spectre (since it is a wide reaching issue that noone can really deal with). Really, it is to avoid x86/ARM botnet, and exploits within current popular architectures that would not commonly target PPC systems while also having a platform that can perform moderately demanding tasks on a daily basis (which higher-end PPC can still do, despite moribund development in the consumer space over the past decade).

buy a wii

security through obscurity works

Really makes you think.

I will never forget the time I went over to my friends house and used one of these things, it was more responsive than my desktop and comparing OS X to Win2K at the time was something else. It felt like the fastest thing in the world.

It's made me wonder how POWER would be on desktops today compared to the old powermacs of the era.

PS3's are also not bad.

can't say I've ever owned a laptop that runs hot enough to emit in the visible spectrum, no

hardened gentoo is a lot less nice now that grsecurity patches are no longer available

High end PPC are fucking beasts. They presumably got abandoned because they couldn't get any smaller or faster without melting the motherboard, but they were fast and awesome.

I had this one until the hinge broke and I sold it to a friend. Fucking awesome.

Too bad they require a flash modification to jailbreak. The Wii has the advantage of being easy as fuck to hack.

DO YOU THINK YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES TO DEFEAT THIS GUY AT A STARBUCKS SHOWDOWN, OP?

why is power always so damn sexy?

left is framed perfectly with him staring into his lonely corner with that lingering trashcan waiting for his writings

That's not true for most models and firmwares.
I think it is just the "super slim" models that cannot be softmoded with the latest techniques. There are charts you can use to compare model numbers to be specific but finding an exploitable system is easier than finding a non-exploitable one just because of the volume of them available.

He makes more money doing what he loves than you will ever make being a slave at a job you hate.

thanks, i've seen the jewfro
i don't want to bully him, but it's a really bad pic

Good one.

lolno

In 99% of cases, pick one.

Apple users don't believe in freedom.

Making more money than an autist on a Mongolian flyfishing forum is a very low bar.

Case in point:

tenfourfox.blogspot.fi/2018/01/is-powerpc-susceptible-to-spectre-yep.html

tenfourfox.blogspot.fi/2018/01/more-about-spectre-and-powerpc-or-why.html

TLDR; all things being equal you are way better off against a Spectre attack with pre-G5 PowerPC hardware than x86/ARM botnet chip, on both a "security through obscurity" and a fundamental design basis.

why is that such a shit poll?
of all places, macrumors should know the startling difference between OS X and OS 9.

Gentoo isn't free. RMS said it himself.

The human genome isn't licensed under the GPL, humans will never be free.

12" G4 Powerbooks are great. They run GNU/Linux perfectly well, too.

My father used to have a 17Acm G4 PowerBook and it was fucking amazing, the screen real estate was out of this world

Gentoo is mostly free, that's not the problem. The problem with Gentoo is the fact that they have recommendations for users to install non-free software. This means that Stallman won't recommend Gentoo because of this property.

It's not like you can modify any part of your genome and run it on your cells and expect to function just as well as before

Big enough for a terminal or a browser, also they support external monitors of course.

I used a 15" Powerbook from 2002-2008 usually hooked into an external monitor / keyboard / mouse, it was just fine.

They also came in 15" and 17" models, the 17" G4 Powerbook has one of the nicest screens ever put into a laptop to this day.

A shame about the non-standard resolution, really

Why's it a problem for you? My old Powerbook had a non-standard resolution and I never noticed an issue.

Checked!

*blocks his path*

1920x1200 is more standard than fucking 1050

Back in 2005-2008 1680x1050(16:10) was pretty standard. My monitor back then was that resolution and I thought it was great, it's honestly maybe a bit better than 1080. It takes good things from 4:3 and 16:9.

lol

There were even some high refresh rate monitors at 1050, up to around 120hz. Good shit.

Buddhists and Hindus do that exact thing as do the Jain and probably others.

any recommendations on what i should put on my imac g3?

NetBSD will work great.

install gentoo

0/10 see me after class

what if I'm a complete pleb?
guess it wouldn't hurt to try on a spare hdd

OpenBSD

a rosary

It's not difficult if you read the manual. If you want something easier to install there's Debian PPC.

but only up to jessie for 32 bit ppc

do they still update their repos?

Jessie is still supported of course.

I just installed Stretch on a G4 iBook, it works fine albeit a little slow.

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/

I'm getting a g4 ibook and or powerbook soon. I read the wifi is a half pci. Can I replace that with an atheros I have? I tried looking it up but all the mac fags say no because of MacOS.

Also any other modding/upgrading tips?

Does it affect MIPS? I quick search didn't really yield anything.

Your PS2 is botnet anyway

from the comments on that post
nanard.free.fr/spectre-PowerPC.tar.gz
gist.github.com/miniupnp/9b701e87f14ad3e0a455cfb54ba99fed

And TenForFox is is amazing btw.

Has anybody else started replacing the old Apple software in their OS X with newer stuff? It should be theoretically possible to compile Darwin and almost all the Unix stuff from source and keep a 10.4 installation going pretty much forever no?

Obviously you'd be stuck with whatever version of Cocoa / Aqua was on there as of the most recent available system update, but you might be able to run a newer 32-bit kernel.

If you use linux and it is a opensource driver you can use anything you compile yourself for it. Aetheros wifi/bluetooth with best nvidia 7*** line agp 4x nouevau card you can find for it. Also don't forget to clean the heatsink of the proccessor and re-apply thermal paste while upgrading the RAM to two 1 GB sticks. Then get a IDE to SATA converter and put your favorite SSD/HDD in it for speed and energy efficiency, as the SSD will have faster R/W times then the DDR SRAM. Make sure to get a new battery as the one you get on an older one will be dead or near it.

ATA only supports 100MB's a second over the line. Unless you want to go dig up the openfirmware source code for the powermac powerpc line and write a SATA firmware for it. And then solder a SATA connecter in place of the old PATA one, assuming the pins are easy enough to connect properly on the board. But if you can get the openfirmware source code which was shoahed off the internet then you could write a driver for soldering a USB 3.0 port onto it as replacement of the 1.1 port and use that for a GPU connected to the computer and hard disks. But I have no clue about what the bandwidth is for the physical wires in the PCB. You would have to figure that out somehow before trying any of this, as the ATA slot at the least supports 100MB's a second and whatever usb 1.1 supports.

tenfourfox.blogspot.fi/2018/01/actual-field-testing-of-spectre-on.html
New TFF update with tests of multiple PPC systems. Of interest is that the 7450 processor is about as bad as most modern processors in terms of vulnerability to Spectre. But on the flipside, the 7447 series used in the the final, most powerful Powerbooks is extremely resistant to that attack. This may interest people looking into a non-Thinkpad ecosystem.

Yes
github.com/mistydemeo/tigerbrew
Also
floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
And lots people still running Tiger on ppc at
forums.macrumors.com/forums/powerpc-macs.145/

forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-youtube-player-downloader-even-for-g3.2031523/

Tiger is 64 bit on the G5.

is 320$ a good price for a dual processor powermac g5?

>not mentioning powerpc-notebook.org/en/

you know that Tiger is vulnerable to shellshock, right?

It's very easy to recompile bash user. And unlike Intel's vulns, you can cure Shellshock easily.

It's not a Tiger bug, it's a bash bug.