Would it be possible to create your own phone and have it be fully using libre Hard&Software?

As the title says, I am interested in making a fully libre Phone. Would you guys have any ideas on how to do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/S4GJI
archive.fo/MXctb
github.com/RangeNetworks/dev
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, but there are no schematics for it
No, in china, europe, and the USA you will be arrested because of laws pertaining to the (((inspection))) of cellular modems.

If you wanted to get a jerry rigged mostly FOSS phone the samsung galaxy S2 is your friend with replicant

I'm umm... gonna look into that. Can you give me a quick TL;DR though?

The TLDR is everything on replicant is FOSS except the bootloader. But it's also running a android flavor without any non-FOSS software and it's all compiled by non jewgle entities. So its still a compromise, especially considering replicants website is a fucking botnet with a .us domain name.

I guess. That said, if we were to be able to have full control over what hardware and software the thing had it could be made into basically a small computer with phone capabillities? Could we then install a regular linux distro and modify it for the add ons?

Yes you could do such a thing. But unless you are using something like gentoo its going to be slow.
That's literally every smartphone made since 2009.

What about the baseband firmware?

i was looking into this before thinking surely there's some 4g/3g/2g/1g modem I can just plug into my computer via usb and give me phone capabilities, but it turns out there really isn't. all the shit on the market is for data only. I haven't seen anything that let's you make calls. the same idea would be used to make your own phone with some SBC, but there's no easy to get hardware out there to do it.

the only way I can think of is to rip the board out of another android phone, and then write an app to act as a server to handle all the phone shit, pump it over usb or bluetooth or whatever, and then stick that in with the "libre" SBC. that should be legit right? USB drivers are open source therefore what's on the other end of that USB doesn't matter if I understand stallman's take on it.

The baseband firmware is also FOSS. If you mean the part of the baseband proccessor that gets loaded up and then reads 3g functions. But no 4g support.

You need a dialup program. A tty is literally that. Go read the manpages you giant faggot.

Dragonbox Pyra is coming out at some vague point in the future, I think it'll suit your needs, even though it'll be a little expensive

please explain how your going to get a 3g data modem and make phone calls with it via tty faggot.

archive.fo/S4GJI
archive.fo/MXctb
Were you born stupid?

this has nothing to do with cellular connections.

Go to H-Node
Select 3G modems
Pick your poison

Alternatively you could use a 4G modem that acts as a router with web interface, so it doesn't affect your system's freedom at all.

If you want to make calls, please remember that all cellular calls may be and are: intercepted, recorded, modified, spoofed. Using old telephony is highly anticipated by our community. Find a good SIP gateway that will act as your phone carrier instead.

They are all owned by intelligence agents or kikes. There is no good one, not one. Tox or nothing for security. Analogue on lines you layed down yourself or nothing.

nope

Fuck yeah!
I'll start making the logo right away!

not them but replicant is the closest thing to non-botnet you'll get out of the box

Yes it is possible.
Go to china, pick a smartphone or modem of your liking and snuck the firmware source code, and schematics illegaly (like how iphone release gets leaked and they print the phone casing earlier than date of release) or lurk a lot although it's gonna be a very long ride.
Bunnie did the same thing cracking microSD cards. Chinese websites dropped all the info he needed.
Not sure but fully libre phones might already exist somewhere in China but only for own personal use.
There's blackphone though (unless they've been ), I even remember /biz/ user back in the old days writing a non-backdoored android phone designed for black market.
It's probably blackphone but that's my two cents.

Cons:
you'll have to reimplement the whole cellular infrastructure to make it actually FOSH/FOSS
FCC
"muh terrorism/surveillance" - terrorists in office
imminent jammers/interceptors/M0ssad-NSA
there's a possibility you'll find out about some top secret "mind controlling-tier" secret patents in cellular modems that instantly makes you a vHVT

Openbts github.com/RangeNetworks/dev +
Some Open source hardware SBC / open architecture +
research about the cracking of SIM few defcons ago
= There you go. The rest is easy

Alright, guess the odds of this actually being doable is really rather slim then... Thanks for the help

Yes, it's possible. Especially if you just want to be able to make phone calls with it.

>what is the atacama submilimeter array and TANGO

I meant more so with my skills and available time. TBH, in the end all I really wanted with a phone that wouldn't tell google every-fucking-thing I do.

A smartphone*

Why not get an old flip-phone for essentially nothing and some tiny notebook instead?

I could I suppose, but that seems like a very clunky solution.

You can mostly get that by installing the microg version of lineageos and NOT installing GAPPS.

Mostly?

Mostly meaning copy pasted non-free drivers for the hardware and non-foss components for the system libraries still. But you get to compile it so there are no device manufactuer bloat or backdoors. But it still has the jewgle botnet and the hardware manufactuere's hardware botnet if they implemented one. And the compilation proccess uses a stage2 and gcc that is pre-compiled by jewgle 4u. Unlike replicant where you compile literally everything yourself.

lineagos devs are huge google cocksuckers, which is why microg had to make their fork, they may even be using google analytics. Even their linux kernel tries to connect to ips owned by google. AFwall can block it, but its far from ideal. Still orders of magnitude better than having proprietary google spyware frameworks running with more privileges than you. Replicant is a lot better but few hardware supports it.

I see. Which device do you reccomend then?

Anything Replicant supports.

Note that even if you CAN make a libre baseband, it'd still be just as good an idea to have physical disconnects for wireless com chips, because why wouldn't you?

This is how the Librem 5 plans to get around the problem of needing a legally certified baseband chip, plus ensuring the baseband chip never sees unencrypted content. Since your messages have to go thru an untrusted server at some point, just moving all of your precautions upstream of the baseband will address at least some of the issues.

But would it be able to change it's own IMEI as simply as chnaging MAC on wireless cards? As far as i know, Mediatek chipsets can change their IMEI pretty easily.
Will it be possible to completely remove the baseband chip and replace it with other if changing IMEI is impossible/illegal?