Green Lantern Corps & related

Whatever happened to the Lanterns? I haven't seen anyone mention them recently. Since they did their own thing in space and rarely were on earth (the corps I mean) their stories were easier to follow.
Is Geoff Johns still the only guy writing them?
Is Kyle still THE White Lantern?
What are Saintwalker and Ganthet up to these days?
Did the Red Lanterns finally run out of things to feel angry about?
Larfleeze… while an entertaining character on his own, I always felt like they were shoehorning him in the story so at least I hope they haven't changed him. Trying to make him into a morally likeable character at this point would be a shame.
Simon Baz does not exist in my book.
If I wanted to read the whole package from start to finish (the whole Geoff Johns space opera), where do I start?

Geoff's run ended like two years ago after the 50th consecutive event.

Oh… I thought he was going to be doing that thing forever. Are the characters being treated right by the new writers?

It never ended. It just went on from event, to event, to event, until Geoff Johns got bored and left the book. Then book promptly tanked in the sales.

So yeah, fuck Geoff Johns and his happy meal toys.

Bash Geoff all you want but those rings were cool.

No, the Green Lantern ring is cool. Then Johns turned the Lanterns into a gay as fuck Power Rangers "emotional spectrum".

What was the problem with that?

The only corps I genuinely didn't like were the Indigo Lanterns and the abundance of Earth Green Lanterns. The muslim lantern was the nail in the coffin so nowadays I only care about the corps (in space). Are they up to anything interesting?

Because the Rainbow Rings are a crutch Geoff Johns uses because he's a terrible writer.

The appeal of Green Lantern is his ring. It's a magic space wishing ring that can do anything. All he's limited by is how much power the ring has and how creative he is and the color yellow. That should be more than enough for a decent writer to tell plenty of stories.

Geoff Johns, however, lacks the creativity to utilize such appeal. Despite his fanboy nature, he really can't think of anything Hal or any other lantern can use the ring for other than basic shit. So he falls back on his old crutches of lots of bullshit lore and "Reverse Flashes", evil doubles of the heros. He throws a bunch of garbage into the Green Lantern mythos and then pulls the Reverse Flash schtick eight times. The result is a Green Lantern run that has very little to do with the appeal of Green Lantern as a superhero and a lot to do with a bunch of shallow nonsense.

It's a major step down from Kyle Rayner having no corps and a real focus on his magic space wishing ring, to Hal Jordan having the entire corps and the ring reduced to pew pew space lasers.

Here are some alternate ideas me and a pal came up with, mostly to do with removing the rings:

Red Lantern Core: Not actually lanterns. Are an actual intergalactic cult and terrorist group. Instead of events, they hope to actually destabilize places. They cause conflict if possible between nations and planets, and their big guns is blood magic. And they use it to summon space demons. Would be a neat thing to explore. The demons and devils of other planets.

Its not great, but I mean at least its not red lasers?

For some reason that reminds me of how they were portrayed in the Green Lantern TAS.

I like sinestro getting his own book run

Beats me. I stopped reading DC around Final Crisis. Or was it Infinite Crisis? One of those big, stupid events.

This is actually something of an issue for me, too, except the other way around. The big flyswatters and whatever just seem unnecessary and inefficient.
Take your example pic, for example: What does the hard-light car accomplish? Transportation, music, and comfort.
But a GL can fly just fine without manifesting a car. He can hear ring effects without a manifested stereo. And weightless floating across the cosmos sounds pretty comfortable to me, no cushioning needed exactly because there's no gravity. If anything, the car might just obscure his view and allow enemies to sneak up on him, and generating a local gravity just uses up energy.
I suspect that these autistic considerations is why the ring might get used in a more minimal, efficient and less flashy manner than you sound like you expect of Green Lanterns.

What are their motivations, though? "Cult" and "terrorist group" is about as generic as lasers as far as supervillain organizations go.

That would make sense if the ring's charge were consistently written. From what I remember rings always decharged in the worst possible moments regardless of how people used them.
Kyle's a bored guy who's enough of an artist/autist to make absurdly detailed constructs. He's also a mecha fan and some of the constructs he makes are straight up power armors.
Maybe the rings only lose a significant amount of charge by shooting or blocking so flying is a non-issue, no matter how ridiculously he does it.
Since the ring supposedly works on your imagination to manifest constructs and willpower to back them up, it's understandable that keeping up complicated constructs under pressure is hard and most lanterns are reduced to shooting lasers because that's all they can manage.
Others might find workarounds to deal with the pressure and stress like making comical constructs I guess.

I thought of it as something that started as a Galactic Intergang, but then the devils that it drew power from made themselves the core focus. Point is the many hells that make it up want to damn everybody in the Galaxy.

Its not great but eh.

Eh. The gradual corruption works, but then we get into the metaphysics of heaven and hell, which never work out to any satisfactory degree of sense within the universe.

I still see them more as secondary villains. It feels like the Lanterns never really solve issues anymore. Just fight about prophecies. So I thought this could give some interconnection whilst not being a primary core.

Read Omega Men.
It's damn good.
It took me until the last few pages to realize it's a commentary on coups/dictatorship regimes in the middle east.
And oil.

The "white/black lantern" dichotomy won't exist for much longer, because of the implication that white is inherently good and black is inherently bad, which society now sees as racist, and that's a bell that can't be unrung, you can't say "black being bad isn't racist" anymore because how exactly are you going to argue this?

I'm not saying I'm for or against this viewpoint (I have to point this out because comic book readers, exactly like all SJWs, aren't smart enough to know that describing an idea isn't the same as being a proponent of that idea), I'm just saying this is how society will view things.

Therefore, the whole lantern spectrum isn't going to last much longer, even if DC claims to take a strong stance against the ideas of social justice, hell they can come out and say they're a strictly right wing conservative and anti-leftist company from now on, and they'd still end up getting rid of the lantern spectrum idea.

No it isn't, society wouldn't give a shit for more than half a day, but you have a point in that media and a large enough portion of the niche that reads comics might view it that way and make it a problem.

It has nothing to do with race, never had, black is just a dark colour and darkness is associated with evil because humans can't see in it.
There, that wasn't so hard. The only problem is that it's not going to shut up someone who wants to be offended.

You may be right, but you'll need a better argument than "no they don't because no."

It's because black is associated with death, I'm pretty sure even African cultures have that.

also this

Fuck you bitch nigger, I did not write all those sentences just for you to not read them.

The only culture I can think of that doesn't see black as bad is Japan.

That's still wrong.
Black represent unknown and a primal fear innate in every normal human. It's the fear of the unknown and also fear of sensory deprivation: you can't see in the night, it's like your eyes don't work.

I hate this I dont know why iam so fucking awesome trope.

Just did. Thank you very much for the recommendation.
Not too much bullshit going on in that comic - well, the bit with Kyle wanting to forgive the viceroy was just typical, and after all that killing. But may I'm overlooking something, not sure what to think of it.
Hope Brainiac got his tentacles on Scrapps, give her a good vacation in a nice jar.

What the fuck is even happening in that image.

the ring runs on willpower. if you're bored, and therefore inattentive, you're utilizing less willpower. so i would imagine making weird extensions of shit you thought up are actually more powerful and long-lasting than 'here's a bubble and a laser'

Making autistically-detailed constructs was John Stewart's gimmick. They were better than normal ones because all the individual parts were made.

It's a shame they really didn't use him well in the Justice League cartoon.

That's autistic internal structure. Kyle was autistic about how good it looked on the outside. The next page of that same issue puts him as a perfectionist but at the same time makes him look like a retard who spends too much time making a single construct.

This, a lot of the time the constructs are made because it's funny. It is kind of stupid but it's supposed to be fun

Well. It triggers my autism.

M8, do you even know what the Reverse-Flash's deal is? It's not "I'M THE EVIL YOU FROM THE EVIL DIMENSION"

I never understood why John did that, it works literally the same regardless of how many moving pieces it has.

Personally I never got why none of them ever made 2-dimensional constructs, since they totally could. A sword with an edge that sharp would be broken as fuck.

Do things like pic related trigger your autism as well, user?

I like some of the other lanterns. Red Lanterns are cool and Larfleeze is neat, but the other ones like pink and purple are dumb.

He's an engineer creating something out of his imagination and reinforcing it with his willpower. If he can rationalise in his own mind why his constructs should be strong, then they may very well come out stronger for it.

I like the yellow lanterns, I just like stories where the hero must face a villain mirror image.
I kinda like agent orange too but that's because he seems like he has potential

The Reverse Flash is an evil double of the hero. Guy with the same powers who is evil and fights the hero. It's Johns go-to whenever he's writing anything because he can't think of anything creative.

I'm triggered over the two logos slapped on her tits.

It's not combat, it seems like an efficient enough use of the ring's power for the purpose of… wait. No. She can't take the flowers home, they're a fucking hologram. Then again, why would anyone ever give a shit about flowers apart from the gesture? I think the real issue here is the use of said hologram-flowers as an accessory in Kyle's game, but before we even get into that, there's the issue of hooking up again with an ex, and I don't know the history between these two.
I think the answer to your question is yes, but for different reasons.
What I want from depictions of superpowered combat is creativity and believable, smart tactics. The main appeal of Worm, if you know that one, is it's battle scenes, which have some really sophisticated tactical interactions between the various capes and inventive, out-of-the-box uses of superpowers. Like how suggested using a 2-D blade, although I would suggest taking it further to 2-D munitions. That's creativity.
Assuming that making things more complicated gives more power to the ring, like simulating all the working parts of a hard-light rifle, or using a giant boxing glove instead of a laser, doesn't seem very - and I know this is a bad word I'm using, but real life is calling, but forgive me - realistic. And I like realism. And I like to see tactics that deal with the world being a cold and uncaring place that'll kill you with a stray bullet as easily as anything. Like embedded related.

The DC explanation was not "more complicated=more powerful. It's that because the rings were powered by willpower and creativity (or the ability to manifest all the details correctly) is an exercise of willpower. Willing a full car into existence takes work than willing a bubble.

Fine. then make the laser a microscopic stream of inter-linking flyswatters with polka-dots. The target won't be able to even see the attack, making it harder to defend against. Creative and practical

The moral of this story is to never take no for an answer, especially if she doesn't actually say no.

This is not a feminist moment of some creepy stalker refusing to back down from a girl. This is two friendly exes discussing getting back together in a cute manner. Fuck off, SJW

topkek