3d printers

anyone has one? what do you use it for? which one do you recommend? i like the technology but i'm not sure if i could make good use of one, so i'm trying to learn about what people use them for

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/IC3DPrinters/filament-extrusion/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is there a FOSS 3d printer?

yes

IIRC most of the early ones were. It wasn't until they got popular and the chinks started cranking them out that prorietary ones showed up.

There is also freely licenced filament to use in your printer.
github.com/IC3DPrinters/filament-extrusion/

Is this a joke?

No, it's the absolute state of America, land of the Kike

LulzBot is libre, Prusa i3 is libre afaik (has tons of clones), most non-professional ones are

Academics please respond

3d printing is a meme

ebin

No, licensing the process and materials used to make it.

At my workplace they're typically used for printing out shit memes.

Milling machines and lathes are better than 3D printers for most use cases.

3d printers are great for hobbyists or creator types

My dad ordered one of the FOSS ones for chrismas for me. Should be comming in the mail.
Any day now.

Well, shit. The order from novembre did not go through

They really aren't. Milling machines are big, expensive, loud, and dangerous, same for lathes. You also need to store metal around, clean up the scrap produced, etc etc. They also can't provide anywhere near the same level of detail and control over the final product. 3D printers are fucking awesome.

You just sound like a tryhard contrarian

The lulzbot aka the only 3d printer that has the RYF certification.

Does your Dad know you browse a Tibetan imageboard?

theyre only good for prototypes and tiny cheap plastic things you cover in enamel paint

Last time I checked there were no 3D printers that worked well with GNU. Has that changed?

I thought they just ran instructions based from 3d model schematics like autodesk

I fucking wish, but they're all 2expensive4me. Even the cost of printing a Snappy or Dollo 3D from a campus print shop is prohibitive.