Pagan beliefs

Currently watching this series of videos on paganism: youtube.com/watch?v=RoeBRyz2760&list=PLV1Xd_c5-wta8HSKFx15qdV5L-pm5XvZA&index=11

I'm finding it a surprisingly sober view so far, and I'm curious what others here think of it - in particular about twisting and lying about pagan beliefs, and the symbolic/manifestative/play-like take on European religions.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/pol/res/8427090.html),
8ch.net/pol/res/8429051.html)?
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's wise to frame religions in the social context, seeing as there's no way to prove theres just one God or many. So what is best for a people: a belief in many gods or a belief in just one? If a people believes in many gods this is a sign their goals differ. A woman may worship a fertility goddess because she desires a child, while a man may worship a war god because he desires strength over conflict. These are two entirely different goals, neither of which the other will fully relate to. Therefore, this puts the man and woman at odds with one another. However, if the man and woman shared a belief in a single good deity, then they may be united under the teachings of this deity, even uniting their goals together under their God's.

Paganism results in a stagnant society because it offers too many goals to focus on. Monotheism results in a strong and united peoples because everyone is focused on the same deity and on the same goals.

I appreciate you explaining that mindset to me with a good argument and lack of personal attacks instead of the usual "LARPERS, LOL"

Good post.

Are you from the same planet?

How many fucking denominations are there of "monotheism"?
And most of them hate the guts of the others.

Gonna repost the comment I made on some video.

Also, this channel has some nice videos, too.

thank m8 good thread

It seems you're framing monotheism in the Judeo-Christian context. If you do this of course it wont work, and will even be made perverted, because the Jews/Christians/Muslims are perverted in their thinking. A single all-good God would never tell Jews to stone babies to death, so we shouldn't judge the merits of a single deity by the works on shitty jews.

Pagans: 0
Jew Worshipers: 6,000,000

Pagan.. christian… I don't really care as long as there are no niggers and jews

Bumplocking threads is one thing.
Bumplocking reality is another.
it's much harder to do
and, in this case, inevitably impossible, rune warriors will make a comeback and expel the kikes once and for all

Not to get all Holla Forums or /tg/ but King of Dragon Pass, the image in OP's post is really fucking fun.

This doesn't address anything raised in the series linked (so far, at least - I haven't finished watching, maybe you've seen it before?), which is okay enough I guess.

I accept.

How? If a people believe in a set of deities, their goals are simply united under a set of deities instead of a single one.

You are treating polytheism as a series of smaller monotheistic religions/behaviors. If a people have a belief in many gods, they would all - to some degree - worship the same. Probably there would be some differences in emphasis, but the religion itself would presumably resolve internal conflicts that put its practitioners at odds with one another.
Yes. Or it might not unite, as pointed out by . Or they may differ so strongly in interpreting their core material that they attack heretic sects of the "same" religion. Which means the desire for monolithism brings in divides.

Not sufficiently argued for.

Vague outline of argument in favor of polytheism:
1. Behaviors are partly expressions of inherent attributes (genetics etc.)
2. Ancestors had polytheistic beliefs
3. If sufficiently unmixed, a people may have evolved for polytheistic beliefs to be their natural behavior.

Yeah, glad to see a lack of LOL LARPERS too.

I never see any Roman Paganism threads. Makes me sad

Kikes confirmed for limp-wristed faggots who can't even draw straight lines and are afraid of any discussion on their mongolian fingerpainting imageboard.

I've played it, one of my favourite games. The videos linked to in the OP reminded me of them, because Vikernes talks about how plays were a large part of the pagan religion. And, well, plays play a large role in KoTP as well.

Thanks for the link, bookmarked and planned for once done with ThuleanPerspective.

Why was this bumplocked?

Mods are christcucks

>Thread about paganism, how Ludwig XIV made France great again (8ch.net/pol/res/8427090.html), or about government infiltration (8ch.net/pol/res/8429051.html)?

I live in a remote area of northern England in the Pennine mountains. It's quite isolated so old traditions are still part of life.
Life is very slow here and resistant to change.
There are loads of standing stones on the moors. They seem to have alignments with soltice and equinox. My theory (just an idea) is that it's to do with the arrival of agriculture and a method of timing crop planting and harvesting.
Also 'cup and ring' markings - utterly mysterious. They are on flat stones rather than standing stones.

My grandmother taught me a lot. She also insisted upon some rituals. For example at New Year's Eve, she would have me leave her home and shut the door behind me. I had to knock and give coal in one hand and salt in the other. I'm sure it's a pagan thing. She also taught me about using wild plants for food and to heal.

I'm Christian and it's coming up to Christmas; there are a load of pagan practices about this festival. Pics are my church and other stuff.

mysterious indeed!

Did you ever ask about the motivation behind the rituals?

Pics look lovely.

They are. I have a theory that they are ancient maps and show clean water sources, and mountain contours as they look like contours on modern maps. Just floating an idea. I'll keep guessing.
The ancient past is fascinating as no one knows very much.
We can gain some clues from archaeological digs. But the past holds many secrets.

My envy knows no bounds