Some interesting topics/questions

Figured I'd bring these questions to 8ch, as you might find them interesting to discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

harmful.cat-v.org/software/GCC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wish there was no X or Wayland or desktop environments or WM or any of that shit. I'd rather just write directly to video memory like in DOS or old computers. TempleOS does it right. One line of code gets you graphics on the screen. Anything more than that is too much trouble, and I don't want to deal with it.

No, package standards would be better suited for POSIX, it was literally made to reduce fragmentation between Unix-like OSes.

No, keep your shitty questions on cuckchan you motherfucking cockgobbling kike.

clam down

Ah, yes. That makes sense. I was just throwing ISO out as an example of a standards thing.
So would you be in favor of this making its way into POSIX then?

An operating system shouldn't be considered a platform for the deployment of applications, or at least Linux shouldn't. The method of distributing packages is a defining characteristic of a Linux distribution. If anything there should be more effort to make each distro more unique than the rest.

1. Appimages should be the primary distribution of applications in UNIX systems
2. yes and musl libc is the answer, more software needs to be ported to it like Rust
3. Yes. Now for the smaller projects like WMs I believe we need to implement small protocols that can be implemented in a Wayland WM/Compositor that becomes standard for DEs as well so fragmentation isn't hell, my proposal is a protocol for brightness, screenshots and video, etc. all that makes a modern X WM usable, as that would be groundbreaking for the UNIX world and Wayland MUST be made so it isn't exclusively for just Linux platforms, Wayland is the future but it needs help, Wayland performance wise is better than X and I use Wayland myself with a WM made by a friend.
4. No clue, the more minimal the better though, we need a return to UNIX minimalism with a futurist design twist unlike that Zionist nonsense material design or KDE shit.
5. I wish Linux by default removed all the binary blobs and switched to LLVM Clang as it's primary compiler away from the GNU Crap Compiler, I wish BSD type OS' would include more drivers but Linux holds a monopoly on that mainly.

what's wrong with it?

GCC is bloated (and also GNU GPL, which some are against)

harmful.cat-v.org/software/GCC

The Linux Standard Base (LSB) has mandated the RPM package format since its inception. LSB is an ISO/IEC standard.

I wish that 3rd image of yours didn't have the laughable suggestion that Linux descends from GNU. Linux is not, and never was, a GNU project, and was not forked from GNU software.

The author was probably under the mistaken assumption that the Linux Kernel is an operating system.

Yes, this is exactly what POSIX is for.

but okay I will bite the bait.
Which bloat are you talking about?
Any specific examples? (and of course when the source code doesn't invoke UB, because by the language definition any output is correct if the source code invokes UB)

He's referring to cat-v. That's an instant red flag that he's memeing.

I know. That's why I admitted I'm biting a bait.

OP here

So you're in favor of as much fragmentation as possible? That's certainly an interesting idea, although I can't say I really agree. I think the fragmentation of GNU/Loonix is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because it can lead to innovations and new developments as people find their own methods of solving a problem, but also a curse because I think it may be the reason for why GNU/Loonix doesn't have a very polished desktop experience.

OOH! A full answer!
there do appear to be a few things like this. I haven't looked into all of them, but there's Snaps, Flatpak, and appimages. Which one do you think is best?
I'm confused on this one. Are you saying that musl libc needs to be written in rust? If you're gonna go all rustfag on me, you might as well ditch C and just write a rust library in rust, as well as the rust compiler, because clearly any other language is unacceptable.
Ok I'll stop memeing, but I would like a bit more clarity here.
Ok so you think there should be a common implementation of all the shit that compositors have to implement, so that the smaller projects can use it and not have to do everything. I like the idea. On the one hand, it kinda sounds a little too similar to X, but on the other hand, what we would have is a modern protocol that works similarly to X, but without the legacy shit that people complain about a lot.
Agreed, but normies like Zionist nonsense, so we need to be sure that experience exists for them, and becomes more polished overall.
Mostly agreed. I hate proprietary nonsense as much as the next freetard, but the fact of the matter is that people expect all their hardware to 'just werk', and in many cases that can't happen without blobs. It's a sad state of affairs, but that's the reality that we currently live in. The best thing we can do, as consumers, is to buy hardware that works with a libre kernel, and not buy shit that doesn't.

Wow I didn't know that. Unfortunately this is a standard that nobody really seems to give a shit about, and as such, doesn't really solve the issue in the OP (fragmentation).
Either another kind of standard needs to exist, or something needs to happen that makes distros actually care about LSB.

'Linux' also shouldn't be expected to have a polished desktop experience, you know being a kernel. There are several Linux distributions already in existence for the use case of wanting a pretty backdrop on which to browse Facebook, but then again the entire point of having an infinitely distributable operating system is to not be tied to one use case.

Ok, Mr. Stallman...

Anyway, I was referring to the fact that many users feel that the GAHNOO/Linux desktop experience is not as polished or stable as what can be found on Microsoft Windows or Apple MacOS. This is not an uncommon sentiment either.
I also fully understand that GAHNOO/Linux should not be tied to a specific use case, which is exactly why this concern is a concern in the first place. Why should GAHNOO/Linux be tied to servers and embedded? Shouldn't this infinitely distributable operating system be suitable for a desktop/laptop use case as well?

Package formats are kinda silly since I was introduced to the idea of functional package management with Nix OS and Guix.

Why?

I haven't heard of this; it seems pretty cool though. I've been getting fed up with trying to maintain portage on my gentoo install (perl and haskell-updater are ruining everything), and having a package manager that doesn't explode trying to figure dependencies must be nice.

It's a stupid sentiment held by mentally-deficient adolescents who hardly have an affect on the adult world let alone the creation of software. Who on earth thinks Windows offers a polished desktop experience?

Apparently 89% of people or so, according to desktop marketshare reports.

Can't you just put OP in the name with a thread specific tripcode?

Are you being facetious? Have you seen the average desktop consumer?

No, tell me more!

Back when I last used Windows people around me seemed to think that I was some kind of hacker because I put the taskbar on top of the screen.