How to Combat Fake News Online? Bring Reddit (and Other Online Forums) Into the Classroom

archive.is/ymm7D

web.archive.org/web/20161203074636/https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-11-30-how-to-combat-fake-news-online-bring-reddit-and-other-online-forums-into-the-classroom

You’ll find plenty of fake news and conspiracy theories on Reddit—the kind of material that appears to be eroding political discourse. Yet one professor at the University of California at Davis plans to send her graduate students into the popular online forum this week to teach them to bring more-accurate scientific information to the public.

Reddit has become an important way for scholars to distribute and explain their findings—you just have to know where on the bustling online community to look. The r/Science section of Reddit now boasts 1,300 volunteer moderators—all with some kind of graduate degree—who block out climate deniers and other views that lack rigorous proof.

The UC Davis professor, Tessa Hill, argues that students need to know a new kind of digital literacy these days, which includes understanding where on Reddit and other online spaces to find scholarship—and how to combat misinformation online.

“The Internet is really kind of a scary thing because there’s probably more misinformation than information there,” Hill says. With the election of Donald Trump, who has Tweeted that he does not accept the scientific consensus around climate change, and an apparent increase in the influence of fake news, she adds, there is even greater pressure on scientists “to reach out to new audiences and talk to people about why we need scientists in our life and why we need evidence” to back up policy decisions.

So on Friday, three of her students who have never been on Reddit before will participate in an AMA session (which stands for “ask me anything) in the r/Science channel where they will answer questions from the public about their field, oceanography. AMAs have become a signature part of Reddit, and experts from all walks of life participate in these open office hours in many sections of the community (Barack Obama has done one, for instance, as has actor Patrick Stewart). “They’re sort of pulling back the curtain a little bit on science,” Hill says of her students.

The effort fits into a larger trend by professors who are rethinking the role of the student in college courses. A new paper calls it “crowdsourcing the curriculum,” where students are taught to become digital citizens in online communities and develop habits—like knowing how to participate in Reddit AMAs—that they can continue once class is over.

Part of the goal is to build skills to become a better lifelong learner, says one of the paper’s authors, Caroline Haythornthwaite, a professor in the School of Information Studies at Syracuse University. But she also wants professors and students to rethink the boundary between the classroom and the broader online world. “You can think of something like Reddit as a great big classroom where everyone is deciding what the question is and how they’re going to approach it,” she says. “I’ve been trying to rehabilitate the word ‘elearning’ to talk about the way we learn on, and with, the Internet.”
Fighting ‘Sea Lions’
Training students to navigate the online world appears to be getting more complicated. And today’s students need help.

Other urls found in this thread:

thegatewaypundit.com/2015/11/failure-barack-obama-blew-150-billion-to-increase-renewable-energy-generation-by-1/
dividedstates.com/list-of-failed-obama-green-energy-solar-companies/
bereadyforthebestandworst.blogspot.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A widely-discussed study out of Stanford University found that 82 percent of middle schoolers could not tell the difference between a sponsored article and a real news story, for instance. “Overall, young people’s ability to reason about the information on the Internet can be summed up in one word: bleak,” the report’s authors write. “At present, we worry that democracy is threatened by the ease at which disinformation about civic issues is allowed to spread and flourish.”

Nathan Allen is at the front lines of the issue, as the moderator for the r/Science section of Reddit. He says that scholars often face a hostile world when they attempt to share their expertise online—one that they may not be prepared for. That’s especially true for those studying climate science or other research areas that have become politicized.

“There are people who actually strategize on how to disrupt legitimate news that is contrary to their agenda,” he says. “They do things like badger people that they disagree with.”
One tactic has come to be known as sea lioning. That’s when opponents of a scientist’s work pepper them with seemingly polite but insincere questions demanding evidence for every point they make, as a way to throw them off point or exhaust them. “It’s culturally censoring people,” he adds. “The amount of energy it takes to respond to each point is just overwhelming. A lot of scientists just aren’t up for the fight.”
He and his team of moderators of r/Science take pains to block sea lions and others attempting to disrupt conversations there. But there are thousands of other channels on Reddit where trolls rule.
“Reddit has really slid into really bitter political debate and really nasty behavior.

It’s troublesome,” Allen says. “I worry sometimes that all this work [on r/Science] will be for naught because Reddit will have such a bad reputation with good people that people will find other places to go.”
Now, more than ever, he argues, scholars need to engage online. “Evil proliferates,” he says, “when good people remain silent.”

If leddit wasn't already in the classroom we wouldn't be this far gone as a society. Reddit was in the classroom before Reddit existed.

I can't get over the fact that the left view the act of asking scientists to back up their opinion in polite discourse abhorrent, it's funny too 'cos I thought sealioning meant pretending to be be open minded or tolerant about a subject but then trying to shut down any questioning or dissent.

They do it for free.

I find it more interesting that they're now suggesting the idea of brain washing school children.

It's the classic 'use brainwashed college students as online shocktroopers to stamp out wrongthink'. I'm sure you all know about the feminist wikithons where they go and change problematic text entries in online encyclopedias. Why don't these retards have anything better to do than shill online?

he merely needs to shitpost for things to happen.
godspeed shitposter in chief.

He holds doubt because the subject matter is politicized and sensationalized. Not to mention that they receive millions to billions while doing nothing substantial.

The Obama administration funded green energy companies and they all shut down:
thegatewaypundit.com/2015/11/failure-barack-obama-blew-150-billion-to-increase-renewable-energy-generation-by-1/

dividedstates.com/list-of-failed-obama-green-energy-solar-companies/

Totally a great idea.
This is why the left is losing.

user, they're on the right side of history.

Good god… I doubt that Holla Forums consists of a bunch of A&F models, but we have to be a better looking group than that. Also: oy vey, where are all the black bulls in those pictures?! Someone should make a hashtag called "#redditsowhite" to fuck with them.

/r/ that one screencap of posts explaining when the global warming hypothesis of the 90s failed.

Jesus Christ, how do they manage to look several degrees worse than us?!?

Nothing new.

I hope they try sending their kids to Holla Forums for education in a vain attempt to use them as shock troopers.
Let their blubbery brain mass crash against our gates.

Fakes news can be battles with a community of connected blogs.

For example: The Underground
bereadyforthebestandworst.blogspot.com/

We need to organize anons. We need real talk.

Why do only the ugly ones show their tits?
Oh right. The only good thing about cows is their udders.

That is a fucking honeypot.

Where the hell did this bullshit term come from?
Is it just spurted for the purpose of being a tactic to divert attention away from the fact that you don't have evidence to back your claims?

Can somebody explain to me what a sea lion has to do with asking for sources ?

If any man with self respect knew how ridiculous they looked in sandals they'd burn them.

Kinda funny. Remember having read a lot of less than scientific articles comming out of their cringy history department. They apparantly let their historians write within area-studies, in which theys havent accuired any language skills.That, and general liberal bias

What do you call the degree past bias? When it transends into full blown academic AIDS!?

They're worried that their disinformation gets drowned out, at best. Consider this, if you read the Guardian, CNN and MSNBC how likely would you it be that you knew that:
- Syrian (((civil war))) was a proxxy war between the US and Russia, and Israel and Iran?
- How likely would it be that you could remember that we have several mass murders and massacres committed by Islamic terrorists this summer?
- That the Rotherham rapegangs continue to this day?
- Obama and Clinton were both for the TPP/TIA/TIP/etc?
- Boko Haram is not a unique guerrilla army in Africa?
- Chinese neo-imperialism in Africa

Add this:
- There was no autopsy performed on justice Scalia

This shit has been happening forever. It became an issue suddenly when they lost control over it.

B-but that would have to mean r-reading books?

My jewish feminist professor told me this generation is far smarter than the previous ones so why read anything besides mass media :^)

i fucking hate the attitude normies and liberals have towards books. "bleh books are boring, i'll educate myself on school or netflix"

That's haram by the way

So basically, on reddit one could assert anything, as long as there's not rigorous proof that what you claim does NOT exist, then you're good.
I wonder if they would stick to that principle when it comes to the existence of God…

Fuck you John Green

come to australia and say that to my face m8

When you create generation after generation of easily manipulated adult children you have the risk of someone else creating better propaganada.

I doubt this only applies to middle schoolers.

wow that faggot is using anti-gg terms and this is supposed to be science, lol.

it's from that one comic that sjws post instead of arguing. hey, everybody knows how loud and annoying sealions are. they're everywhere!
what? you're not from san francisco? that's not possible, everyone on the planet is from san francisco

I made fun of a student in a college class I teach for watching clickbait videos.
the kids laughed, because 'clickbait' was a new term they'd never heard and they thought I'd invented it

Capcha: yr jwed

That's so sad.

But they pay for sponsored "news" too. Esp. at CNN and the BBC.

Wouldn´t that effort to cull and kill "fake news" will backfire to ((them))?

Liberation of Islam, my friend. You're going to see a lot more mosseletes wanting to pair with infidels such as yourself, if only for the sake of converting away from their batshit religion, so they can receive better treatment from their husbands. Truly, this is the price of freedom.

but conspiracies are real, history is full of conspiracies, failed and successful ones.

I wasn't aware the existence of climate was under debate.

good shit, thank you.

You should just treat our (((scientists))) like they are seers. Don't question anything they say, it's beyond reproach.
The fact that science is
SUPPOSED
to be rigorous like that is completely lost on them.