Ubuntu 17.10 Pulled Due To A BIOS Corrupting Problem

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-17.10-BIOS-Corrupter

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/ bug/1734147
phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/997025-freebsd-looks-at-making-wayland-support-available-by-default
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/ bug/1734147/comments/169
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20171223.iso
devuan.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I upgraded to that version on my thinkpad, so far no issues but this kind of retarded stuff is quite worrying.
I guess I'll be switching back to Debian.

#### UPDATE (22/12/2017) ####

LENOVO machines affected so far (please add your affected model to this list):

Lenovo B40-70
Lenovo B50-70
Lenovo B50-80
Lenovo Flex-3
Lenovo Flex-10
Lenovo G40-30
Lenovo G50-30
Lenovo G50-70
Lenovo G50-80
Lenovo S20-30
Lenovo U31-70
Lenovo Y50-70
Lenovo Y70-70
Lenovo Yoga Thinkpad (20C0)
Lenovo Yoga 2 11" - 20332
Lenovo Z50-70
Lenovo Z51-70
Lenovo ideapad 100-15IBY

The bug also affects:
Acer Aspire E5-771G
Acer Aspire ES1-111M-C1LE
Acer TravelMate B113
Toshiba Satellite S55T-B5233
Toshiba Satellite L50-B-1R7
Toshiba Satellite S50-B-13G
Dell Inspiron 15-3531
Mediacom Smartbook 14 Ultra M-SB14UC

Bug may effect machines from any manufacturer that uses BIOS based on Insyde Software. Insyde is responding to emails acknowledging that they are aware of issue but are not providing details.

>bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/ bug/1734147

Can someone enlighten me here - is it possible this is a backdoor gone wrong?
Why would the kernel need to write to the BIOS?

Intel chipset driver. My guess is the bios manufacturer's chips either don't follow their published specs or they're non standard and they just ship black box drivers to MS. Or Canonical just stumbled on some Chinese hardware backdoor on accident.

What the FUCK am I reading, how did this reach production code?

Ask the bios devs

phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/997025-freebsd-looks-at-making-wayland-support-available-by-default

Holy shit, look at the supreme gentleman autists having a Linux vs BSD shit-show in the comments.

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/ bug/1734147/comments/169

This is actually a linux kernel (((bug))). Ubuntu just enabled the driver.

Totally not a back door.

Linux is total botnet now.

I wonder why the Lenovo chinks made a BIOS software could "corrupt". I'm sure it was an accident.

As someone who's been doing embedded development for 20 years, the most powerful embedded boxes you'll find use Linux. And Windows. Simultaneously. And several other operating systems. The Big Boy Boxes literally have vmware under the hood with entire instances of OSes to handle drivers that are only available on one platform and also to handle all the other embedded companies they've acquired and "integrated" the firmware of. And then often another OS that acts as a UI and orchestrator of the rest of them.
When the company I was at was acquired I was the one responsible for overseeing that "integration" process of our firmware from our side, and I was horrified. A large conference room full of Indians on their side was the team responsible for duct-taping all that shit together.

I don't know why you would ever use a non-LTS version anyway.

If they had written it in Rust this would not have happened.
Take this as a wake up call people. Rewrite it in Rust!

Haha, Ubuntu niggers get what they deserve, like (((amazon))) pillaging their data like the good soyim they are

HA! You're actually right! C fags btfo!

Wow, what a perfect storm.

Ubuntu pajeets rush out software they can't bug fix so they don't test.
Linux follows specs without testing on real hardware.
Intel and chinks lazily shit out proprietary BIOS that is confused and hangs itself when some firmware is locked after flashing for some reason.

I still have no idea why the fucking BIOS should be needing write access to flashed SPI firmware but w/e.

oh and to top it all off, the only way to fix the problem is to BUY A NEW FUCKING MOTHERBOARD! God damn.

You don't even understand the bug, and you're forming an opinion on why it happened... You're a dumbass.

>oy vey your too dumb to have an opinion ignore your bricked hardware and kernel that writes your bios so hard it bricks that driver is only there for perfectly acceptable reasons like writing to your bios without the users knowledge to install (((upgrades)))

You're a retard. The BIOS isn't writing to any firmware. SPI is the process through which one flashes the BIOS firmware. It's not "without the user's knowledge", it's a well documented interface, in an open source kernel, which just happened to have a bug. You're a fucking retard.

Why are you making this about "Jewbuntu", when it's a kernel bug?

It's called running the fucking kernel, retard

the kernel is not expected to write to your bios without you directly initiating it and if this was standard practice it would have been disabled years ago due to outcry. someone fucked up and your a shill.

The Year of the Linux Desktop is at hand!
They fixed the videocard problems!
They fixed the soundcard problems!
They fixed the WiFi problems!
Now they're fixing the BIOS corruption problems!
Only a few more years of polishing needed!
Hang in there... hang...

The kernel is expected to do whatever's in the code running on it. Read the fucking bug report, it's not even the kernel's fault, but Lenovo's.

Good choice. It respects your freedom better too.

Guys, it may actually be a Systemd problem too!
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402

Install CloverOS

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20171223.iso

Keep trying to shift the blame, Pajeet.

lol what a faggot

>ubunpoo exposes kernel unlocking bios for write access for (((reasons)))

i thought canonical was a hub of diversity ubuntukike

Spoonfeed me

This isn't the first time they've bricked hardware like this.

Is that using Enlightenment?

Intel wasn't satisfied with having a botnet on just the motherboard. Now they are up in the leeenux kernel.

>>>Holla Forums

Good Goy.

This is true for 4/pol/ and 8/pol/ honestly.

Intel is fucking cancer no matter where they touch. May God have mercy on our souls.

>>>/facebook/

Fun fact: I was at a big store a few days ago and went to browse their computer section. All the laptops were Intel/AMD shit. Dozens and dozens of models, maybe 40 or so different laptops but all Intel/AMD shit, not even an ARM in sight, much less MIPS or anything more exotic. How depressing! In the 80's and even early 90's that same store was filled with all kinds of different computers, from ZX-81 to Amiga.
Anyway I don't feel comfortable if any firmware can be flashed without the user setting a jumper on the mobo. Not that I'm confortable with Intel to begin with, but this is ridiculous. Anyway I'm done, moving to ARM SBC and old computers. Hasta la vista, Intel! I'm gonna pretend you never even existed.

That's not a "fun fact", just your autism leaking.

Ever heard of chromebook? It runs web browser for facebook normie stuff. Some of the have ARM chip and better battery life than Intel shit. Well that store didn't even have those. Just Intel/AMD. And if you think about it, what's even the point of 40+ different models of the same fucking architecture? It makes no sense. How the fuck is that in any way profitable? It's like trying to sell 40+ different kind of oatmeal. Not even different breakfast cereals that are fundamentally different grains, but just dozens of fucking oatmeal brands. Yeah, it's retarded. But such is the state of moderm computing.

Does not respect your init freedom.
devuan.org/

You didn't get my post, did you? "Westerberg" is as non-jewish as a berg can be.

>>ubunpoo exposes kernel unlocking bios for write access for (((reasons)))
Systemd does that actually. It's been reported many times. EWONTFIX.