I lost everything

So i got 2 2tb hds to replace a 500 gb hdd, a 640 gb hdd that is dying AND to fix a fucking stupid problem with a 3tb hdd which i had to split for win 7 to at least recognize...ANYWAY, i transferred 1st all the data from the 3tb to the newer ones, wiped both data on the 3tb one, wiped the partitions, chkdsk, made a surface check and all...Remade the partitions, put everything back, wiped the data on the 2tb ones, transferred all the data from the 500 gb and 640 ones to them, corrected all the letters that got messed up, switched some cloud files on an ssd to the virtual partition on the 3tb and virtual memory...Ok took me a couple of days, EVERYTHING just seemed fine....

Well... Everything that i LOOKED seemed fine apparently...Now i wanted to listen to some music and went to the music shortcut on desktop...Heh...it's leading nowhere...Pfff...i just messed the letter location, okey, let's see....WTF...It's GONE, my fucking nice music folder that had thousands of music that took me YEARS to assemble is nowhere to be found!
SHIT, a-a-and my main game folder? I-i-is it there?! Oh fuck, it's there, great, now let's open the mo-Owww SHEEIIT!! Inside there where ONLY 2 folders! From the dozens that were once before! Fuck!
It's all gone! FUCK!
-Meh user you should had.... Fuck that, it's too late, i won't move everything over again to restore the files, i just complaining of my stupidity....
SHIT!

Well... Everything that i LOOKED seemed fine aparently...Now i wanted to listen to some music and went to the music shortcut on desktop...Heh...it's leading nowhere...Pfff...i just messed the letter location, okey, let's see....WTF...It's GONE, my fucking nice music folder taht had thousands of music that took me YEARS to assemble is nowhere to be found!
SHIT, a-a-and my main game folder? I-i-is it there?! Oh fuck, it's there, great, now let's open the mo-Owww SHEEIIT!! Inside there where ONLY 2 folders! From the dozens that were once before! Fuck!
It's all gone! FUCK!
-Meh user you should had.... Fuck that, it's too late, i won't move everythin g over again to restore the files, i just complaining of my stupidity....
SHIT!

Start indexing your media files this time around, and have that text file upload to whatever cloud service you have whenever you add new music/games etc. That way if you lose all your music, you know what to redownload!

Why would you wipe the old drives?

Back shit up
Everyone's gotta learn it somehow

what did you use to copy this shit?
you've gotta use rsync and learn the options. then you can run it, look around the folders when it's done, and then run it again to verify it again for your sanity before you nuke the drives.

and you should also have two copies. you fucked up when you copied over to one and nuked the other, which left you with only 1 broken version, you no longer had two copies.

All of this is literally fixed by using youtube and steam.

Another thread about importance of backups, basically.

???

It sounds like you'd be better served using an iPad. You can get all your music back with a Spotify or Apple Music monthly subscription.

Time to drive to your friend's backyard secretly with a shovel to dig up your offsite backups that you made.

Just restore your from your backup :^)

UNSUBSCRIBE

there are 2 kinds of people:
the ones who do backups, and
the ones who will have their ass on fire eventually

It sounds like you'd be better served using a Botnet. You can get all your music back with a Botnet or Botnet Music monthly subscription.

this

/thread

this is what happens when you use the windows copy tool to copy more than 1 file at a time

No sympathy OP.

Proper backups rule n12: never delete a copy of a file you eventually want.

You forgot the third type, people who do not hoard shit. I cannot lose my data if I delete it first.

Good riddance!, I hope you don't learn anything from this.

That

spacing

The writing is horribly atrocious all around and, together with that and the Tumblr .gif, makes me wonder how this idiot found this place at all. Are these the people who post on /g/ these days?

Leave the passive deflective sarcasm out of it. These are people posting here. Nothing is being done about it, or has been for a long time. It's time to start a new technology board.