Tablet: The Alt-Right’s Jewish Godfather

Tablet: The Alt-Right’s Jewish Godfather

How Paul Gottfried—willing or reluctant—became the mentor of Richard Spencer and a philosophical lodestone for white nationalists

The night America elected Donald J. Trump president, 38-year-old Richard B. Spencer, who fancies himself the “Karl Marx of the alt-right” and envisions a “white homeland,” crowed, “we’re the establishment now.” If so, then the architect of the new establishment is Spencer’s former mentor, Paul Gottfried, a retired Jewish academic who lives, not quite contently, in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, on the east bank of the Susquehanna River. It’s the kind of town that reporters visit in an election season to divine the political faith of “real Americans.” A division of candy company Mars Inc. makes its home there, along with a Masonic retirement community, and the college where Gottfried taught before a school official encouraged his early exit.

Gottfried settled in Elizabethtown after his first wife died, when he decided to put family concerns ahead of professional ambitions and then set out to wage a low-level civil war against the Republican establishment. The so-called alt-right—identified variously with anti-globalist and anti-immigrant stances, cartoon frogs, white nationalists, pick-up artists, anti-Semites, and a rising tide of right-wing populism—is partly Gottfried’s creation; he invented the term in 2008, with his protégé Spencer.

The intellectual historian doesn’t have the look of a consigliere. Gottfried’s round face is covered by a trim white beard and crowned by a nearly bald head. Something about his appearance, maybe the beady, bespectacled eyes and the way his already small frame hunches forward at podiums, makes him look both timid and cantankerous. His voice has a squeaky register but his speeches, which are easy to find on the internet, are erudite and measured, ranging fluently from the legacy of fascism to the ills of multiculturalism and the “therapeutic welfare state.”

Gottfried doesn’t resolve the alt-right’s contradictions so much as he embodies them. He’s a sniffy traditionalist, a self-described “Robert Taft Republican,” with a classical liberal bent, and a Nietzschean American nationalist who goes out of his way to exaggerate his European affect. He opposes both the Civil Rights Act and white nationalism. He’s a bone-deep elitist and the oracle of what’s billed as a populist revolt. “If someone were to ask me what distinguishes the right from the left,” Gottfried wrote in 2008, “the difference that comes to mind most readily centers on equality. The left favors that principle, while the right regards it as an unhealthy obsession.”

Inequality is the alt-right’s foundational belief. In this view, there are inherent, irreducible differences not only between individuals but between groups of people—races, genders, religions, nations; all of the above. These groups each have their own distinctive characteristics and competitive advantages; accordingly, inequality is natural and good, while equality is unnatural and therefore bad and can only be imposed by force. In practice, it is typically a belief in white supremacy and a rejection of universalism.

archive.is/TX6mq

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ytFkLbHS5d8&t=2s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

theres like 4 threads on this.
if youre going to D&C dont make 4 threads or it becomes obvious. whoever youre working for shoul fire you.

Don't tell them.

call them out but don't tell them how you figured out they're a shill
that way they will repeat their mistake

who?

low effort D&C

youtube.com/watch?v=ytFkLbHS5d8&t=2s

Time to kill self?

Nobody here likes Dicky, there's nothing to divide.

oh shit, I know a jew, I must be co-opted

So, I live in Elizabethtown, and I work at the Masonic home. I know this Jew.

Is he a Mason?

This means all attacks on neo-nazis are anti-semitic now? Good job, msm.

Of course. They all are

lets go for some doubles!

Alt right IS jewish user.

Is this the same kike?

/thread

Yes

This is what I thought… that he was basically "The Believer," not so much a self hating Jew in personal terms but one that hated the political arm of the Jews.

A true convert is the fiercest of zealots.

This is disturbing, he studied at the Frankfurt school. He must be a plant, or subversive. In order the divide and conquer, they need a controlled right.

This guy gets around.

again?

dude what good is it to make the same thread 4 times?

I've watched a couple of this guy's speeches. He is basically alt-lite. Some Jews are bad, let's have less leftism, blah blah blah. Not much there at all.

The article is a pretty good portrait of the man because he acknowledges the positives of White Nationalists, but disavows them anyway because they are reductive and SPLC-bait. That argument doesn't really hold water. He's still letting the opposition set the rules for him. That's a surefire way to lose. He's just too principled to win.

He's a Jew seeking to subvert a pro-White movement. No news here.

I can see where Spencer learned how to talk without saying anything.