Install Gentoo thread Step 1

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86
So from today I'll try to install Gentoo.
I've got a old PB easynote to install it.
It's going to be an X86 since it's not a 64bits compatible CPU/hardware.
What kind of knowledge do I have ?
I'm just a shitty tech windows installer/configuration for normies and from time to time administrative purposes, I've done that for the past 20 years, I have theoretical knowledge about compiling, I've never actually done that I just know what source code, a compiler and a binary is.
I've already installed distributions like debian,ubuntu, trisquel etc... I also have a good knowledge about what is free software and know the difference with open source licenses.
For what I understand about gentoo you need a mandatory internet connection to install it, since I'm in a europoor country I only got an old modem speed of 56kbps so I think that it will take time to download the source.

So lets begin with step 1

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_installation_tips_and_tricks
bugs.gentoo.org/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FAQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addendum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/USE
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Portage/Variables#Configuration_file_protection
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/Features
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoolkit#eclean
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Media
gentoo.org/downloads/signatures/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Os from what I read portage is made in python for it's simpleness of comprehension and use.
Sidenote:from what I read in other threads a lot of people complain about python because it's slow.
I'll be installing gentoo from a CD since I don't have a USB stick available right now.
It's suggested to read the tips and tricks section:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_installation_tips_and_tricks
Bug report or trouble shooting is here:
bugs.gentoo.org/
There's an IRC #gentoo even tho I've never been on IRC.
And a FAQ
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FAQ
I'll skim a bit in the tips and trick section see if I understand something.

I've read the tips and tricks.
Since I'm not an English speaker I've leaned what Addendum means even tho it's not useful for this thread.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addendum
So I'm reading something that should be read afterwards...

I'm not a raid user and I won't be experimenting it on a single laptop.
Using the kernel of the CD kernel is a good trick but I want to compile it.
I've searched what's chroot en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot and if I understand correctly It's somekind virtual or external root but without being the true root.
It can be some sort of sandbox if I understand correctly.
Locking your install screen is also a pretty good tip.
are pretty useful too.
The partition configuration for failure prevention is a great idea.
The recovery part is also useful but what does a "populated" partition means ?

Reading the FAQ now.

Just get the fuck out.
If you can't even read a fucking documentation, and search on stack exchange for questions answered a trillions time, seriously, you need to install windows back and let yourself be fucked by Micro-soft.

WEW

Use the sticky if you encounter trouble, otherwise nobody cares about your blog

if you have /var on a separate partition, give it about 200% more inodes than you usually would because portage pulls many small sourcefiles that will fill the journal far before you run out of actual drive space.

mkfs -t ext4 -N iNumber /dev/sdX

also shit like Firefucks and Libtardoffice use lots of /var/tmp/portage space while compiling and will fail if less than about 7GB of space is there for it to make the files. You can make var larger than anticipated to compensate, or you can always make a /var/portage/package.env entry to give an alternate portage tmpdir for these files (you could also have no separate /var but I dislike this because if some log starts going HAAM and writes all your root disk space things get stupid)

So the point of having a separate /var/ directory is to mitigate possible hdd space obliteration if the logs go crazy ?

Also thanks for the tips.

No, you fuck off. The guy is asking for help and obviously wants to try something new. But OP should've gone with something easier in my opinion.

I'm not especially asking for help the goal of this post is just to show how can one with little knowledge of computing can do by himself, what can be the questions that can eventually come up if not enough info or understandable info is actually there.
And also change a bit the threads of Holla Forums because between winning about systemd and rust/browser threads it's pretty redundant.
(a recent exception of this is the advent of code thread which is fresh air but not in my work field for now).
Maybe but I've started this so I'm gonna finish.
I've been interrupted afew times since I started this thread and right now I'm reading about flags since the FAQ mentioned it.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/USE
Then I'm going to read the
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Portage/Variables#Configuration_file_protection
and
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/Features
since the FAQ also mentions it.

The amount of documentation is quite crazy when you look at it and I haven't yet began to install the system.
But I got good patience so it's ok.

Here's what I did. Start sshd in the live installer. Jump on another machine and open up the gentoo handbook in your browser. Log into your computer with the live install. Copy and paste everything. If you do make menuconfig, you'll need to know a bit about what hardware you have. Genkernel is idiot proof if you have issues not knowing what to tick.

I tried to do an install like that with arch but it is an absolute nightmare with a non US keyboard.

So I'm back after a long absence/interruption.
I've began to read the faq again but without the mistake that I did last time of looking into each link, so to go faster I'll just plainly read the faq without link diving into it.

The user creation is useful to know.
Is "wheel" somekind of gentoo unique group ? because I don't find him on buntu distros.

Very useful for all distibutions I guess.

Good advice too but I'm wondering if the "Information on how to rescue the system using the installation CD is available here as well. " shouldn't have it's own section instead of being jammed with that section.

This is one of the things that I don't appreciate with gentoo, why is an internet connection more or less forced ? why can't someone copy paste the whole source install ? I suppose it's because it can take a lot of GBs of bandwidth.

Might come in handy in the future
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoolkit#eclean

I still see this a lot on every distro is it because of some obscure hardware manufacturing configuration ?

So I've finished reading the FAQ lets continue step 1.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Media

I've already downloaded the X86 minimal iso the digest and signatures.
distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/20170411/
Note:a lot of mirrors seems to not be updated.

I've verified the signature and it's correct
I've also compared the fingerprints
gentoo.org/downloads/signatures/

I find the digest verification incomplete.
Anyway do it manually via the command
But in that case you have to check it yourself.
You can do it automatically by adding the option "-c" to "sha512sum" and instead of the iso you do it on the DIGEST, it's going to autofind the iso and other referenced files.
Some will say "fail" but that's the whirpool hash.

After burning the cd I did a sha512 on it to be sure that everything was burned correctly.
Once the hash match you can use the cd without being worried of file corruption.
Of course if you're CD/DVD reader on the machine that you install is fucked up it won't go well.
Going to boot it now.

I just booted it up and after choosing the kernel it ask you if you want to change the keyboard settings.

I don't get how ones guess the hardware options that needs to be activated ?
Same thing when you need to manually load a kernel module how do you guess the ones that you need ?

Thanks for the suggestion I just ssh into it this won't kill my back by moving in the room all the time.

I don't know, maybe by knowing your hardware and reading the documentation?
If you can't figure it out, then relax and embrace your brainlet status.

make localyesconfig
only works with drivers the running OS has available but it'll at least make sure you compile a bootable kernel

you should really be asking this stuff on f.g.o, not here where you get mostly the products of the american crab-bucket education system

how does gentoo handle pic related? any disto handle it better than others?

lspci && lsusb

lsmod
modprobe (mod name)

If you're trying to compile a kernel and you don't know what to select, use genkernel instead of make menuconfig.

thanks for the info tech. ill save this thread and down OPs wiki link.i really do like the way gentoo looks from pics i seen., mint is too bloated... for me.

Gentoo is bloated as fuck. Do you not realize you will need to compile dependancies for dependancies before you get to build the actual program you want to emerge? I hope you were generous with your / or /usr partition size. 24-32GB at least.

Different user, I've had sane defaults with menuconfig, I assume that is because I had chosen the desktop profile prior.

Took me a good while to figure out some of the options that interested me (mostly virtualization related for GPU passthrough later).
Started by browsing the terms online but later discovered you could press H for a better description.
There is a lot of stuff in there that I do not understand so I leave it as is.
Only removed drivers I have no use for.

I remember I had to go back and recompile it again because my Realtek ethernet driver was not selected by default.
I don't regret the time spent though since I am more familiar with it in case I wanted to enable or disable specific features from the kernel.

Do you know what "bloated" means? You have to download these on other distributions, so the space taken is the same. Unless you mean the distfiles (here, /usr/portage/distfiles is a whooping 3GB).

It's not gentoo, it's the programs you want to compile that are bloated and using tons of dependencies. It's exactly the same problem on other distros. If you want small, lean system, then install only small, lean programs. That's the only way to solve this problem.