Redpill me on Dlang

I see people dismiss the D language but with no justification. So tell me why you think it's shit.

It's RUST with garbage collection. There is a reason OpenMW had to be rewritten in C++ before anything got done.

They said it was because of the lack of contributors. They switched to C++ because people contacted them saying they want to contribute but don't want to learn D just to do that.

Literally no market share. No matter how good it might be unless people are using it no one will care. At least Haskell and Ocaml have the wanky compiler-geeks. D has no one.

You tell me why its worth a rat's ass, OP.

Dfag here. People don't like it here because it's not rust (or as hard to read as rust...). Also you don't have to use the garbage collector or you can configure it to run when you want. It has a good template system which I have yet to see from other langs. It's used by facebook and ebay and even some train station

The author was in a position where customers needed his improvements on C++ but (wisely) refused to bank on "this guy's C++". Then he noticed that most programming languages are scams and started his own--haha, it's not some hacks, it's a brand new language! For his prospective customers there was little real difference, except that they'd happily pay for a brand new language.
not a bad sign in itself, but please explain why yours doesn't suck
lol nevermind

IIRC, D's GC is just as 'optional' as Java's.

Isn't a good portion of the standard library dependent on the garbage collector?

no one even uses it. how can you even be bluepilled?

Because it isn't Jai

It's a pretty good language. The reason it's not used more is because D has a small share and thus less devs.
Companies don't give a single shit about improving the field, they're happy shifting around Pajeets and making shit software. It's why Java still hasn't been dethroned as top language.
If MIT or any universities still dictated the field, expirimental languages like this would become increasingly popular, but alas, they are not.

those aren't people. they're three-fifths of one at most

GC.

how can D even compete

Considering how almost all top languages (Java, C/++/#, JavaScript) came from corporate sphere, I'd say universities haven't been dictating shit for almost 50 years now.

That's exactly what the other poster implied tbh.

D is very good at fast prototyping but C++ is faster and more feature rich

C has boehm-gc, your argument is invalid

Market share inertia.

No knows D, so nothing is done in D, so no one bothers to learn D.
Everyone knows C/C++, so everything is written in that, so that's what people learn.

ftfy

I can use C's entire standard library without any GC.

Java and C++ are for two very different things

From what I've seen, the author of Dlang tried to promote his language among C++ developer and since most people were low-level masochist, D features had no utility for the community.

The language is too big and doesn't have any large organization or company pushing it. It could've been C# done right, but they've overdone it. And now almost nobody is willing to learn it, because it's a big language with almost no market share. If you want your language big and complex, you have to start adding shit only after it's gotten popular enough. Like C++.

It tries to be a better C++ and only really succeeds at being a worse Java.

D doesn't make sense. If I'm going to use a piggy GCed language I'm going to pick Java or .NET as they're quite good at what they do. The language lost sight of the goal.

rewrite it in rust

You misspelled C#