BOOK THREAD

Are modern editions of K&R updated to teach C11 or is there something else I should buy if I want to learn C11 from scratch?

Other urls found in this thread:

lainchan.org/res/168.html
icube-icps.unistra.fr/img_auth.php/d/db/ModernC.pdf
iso-9899.info/wiki/Books
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf
learnyouahaskell.com/
github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/CppCoreGuidelines.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Any version of C is a waste of time, an old relic that nobody uses anymore. This aint the 90s. Learn a modern language like JavaScript or Go.

Not if you want to contribute to open source software which is extremely rooted in C or you are targeting embedded systems or are hoping to call on the near infinite amount of existing code.
Jesus christ kill yourself user

There isn't a version of K&R updated to C11.

If you already know C maybe you could just look at the standard reference. If you don't know C just get K&R rev 2 and learn it then look at the standard.

He's joking user.

damn. I'm retarded.

smhtbqhfam

Not really, no

That's disappointing. Is there anything that teaches C11 from tree ground up that you know of?

Read K&R and then the language spec for C11 (and future versions). Try to learn the impetus for any new features and ask, what problem were they hoping to solve?

I bought pic related last week, should be interesting to see what it's like.

Not that I know of, sorry man. I think >>834205 is the common practice.

C11 has very few changes, and probably roughly zero you need to know as a beginner.

Tell us how it compares to r*st when you're done reading it

this, i've been learning C ( i'm not fresh to programming in general ), and i think i've gotten pretty far without ever having to tell gcc to use C89, C89,C99 or C11. I don't even know what the difference is and I've had no problems writing basic shit for the console, using ncurses, or using gtk for gui shit. I'm sure I should learn but so far it hasn't been necessary.

There was a pretty good thread about it on Lainchan. I recommend checking it out, it has some useful links: lainchan.org/res/168.html

icube-icps.unistra.fr/img_auth.php/d/db/ModernC.pdf

This book will explain C programming with C11. But, I don't know how well it works as book for people learning from scratch.

8chd -reply tech 834267 /home/user/Desktop/Pictures/"what are you doing.png"

I'm going to share this link though because it's pretty cool

iso-9899.info/wiki/Books

Will do. I was hoping to do the AdventOfCode problems in it, but as it's a massive tomb, I probably won't complete it in time before the 24th (there's always later though).

Read latest edition of K&R.
Check either the standards or wikipedia to see what was changed or added with each revision. There isn't much changed, which is the great thing about it. Modern C is a good book, but wikipedia has what you need in point form.
Read newsgroup archives for comp.lang.c and comp.std.c from 1995-2005. Those really were some golden years. That will give you a big headstart on writing pedantic, greybeard-tier code. People like Ken Thompson, Keith Thompson, Thomas Dickey, Eric Raymond, Andrew Koenig, and many more were highly active on those newsgroups during that period.
Enjoy !

Where would user find these?

https:// groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.lang.c
https:// groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.std.c

If you click the arrow in the search box on those pages, it should give you the option to search posts by date, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I tried lynx, safari and tor. So I've only put links to the groups themselves.

much appreciated.

how about the spec? ANSI costs $150 IIRC (and no reputable warez groups publish it) but the C99 (and so I assume C11) have them published for free. K&R is some overrated shit that produces monkey coders anyway, good for beginners I guess

The C11 standard is freely obtainable from:
C11: open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf

It's strictly a reference though. It's definitely not learning material. K&R is still an excellent book. One of the best programming books ever. It teaches you how to think like a computer programmer. The progression of the topics flow into one another perfectly, and the excerises open the mind in perfect sync with the material learned.
I seriously doubt anyone who has read the book could possibly share your same opinion.

Are you fucking kidding me? Like seriously, is this real life? Let's get this straight, it is twenty seventeen and you want to educate people with crusty old newsgroups posts from a bunch of dead old white men using arcane languages who didn't even have mobile internet and played movies with VHS tapes!? How is anything they said even relevant? Hello! A lot has changed in our thinking about computer programming since then. Coding is a social activity, and a very human one. What you're proposing shuts out the experiences of historically marginalized groups. Resist that. Say, why not let a young biracial latinx coder mentor you in Javascript, or have a trans person of color teach you Ruby? You will benefit from the richness of their life experiences which those dead white men could never provide. As a full stack developer, I interface with many diverse groups and work on a team with multiple ethnicities, genders and shades of human being. You had better get used to people who are different than you, this is a global village and we grow together, not apart. Reality rejected the whiteness of those coders, the DOTCOM bubble burst (educate yourself). Be a part of our movement. Reject whiteness. Say no to the patriarchy. Walk with us, but do not lead our technology revolution for people shut out from the last one.

I've been working my way through Learn You a Haskell for Great Good: learnyouahaskell.com/
After going through the first few chapters I was able to make stuff like prime checking It's a 1 liner for testing for a prime and a high low game.

What do you think many of these things were built on ? OP is getting to the source of things. You sound and act pretty detached from reality, shillbot.
How does skin color relate to technical merit ?
All math and science is building upon what we have from the past. From Mesopotamia til today. Everything from the past is relevant and in use today.
C is still very much current and its relevance is easily obvious.
sage because I took the bait.

do not reply to b8 posts

Made me rage even knowing it's bate.
3/10 (2 for rage, 1 for reply)

Please don't take such blatant b8

Actually the use of C particularly in open sauce is plummeting and has been for quite some time. Two words user:
Black
Duck
Software :^)

Neat. ADA is still very important and will continue to be so with the rise in robotics.

Why?

Because it is safety critical in nature in several types of use domains. Ada more or less idiomatically forces you to write good contracts for functions. This increases reliability and thus safety. C++ is making leaps and bounds in this area lately, but unless a shop forces a subset of the language (for example using only the C++ Core Language Guidelines), then it's old legacy C compatibility ruins many of it's determinacy and reliability aspects. C, of course, is complete shit in this area and is by far the world's biggest source of security and safety problems in software primarily because of it's retarded adherent's insistence on slinging void* into every corner of their code, and the language's basic lack of runtime checked bounds.

But back to the point, my money is on C++ in the long run, but Ada is and will remain important -- especially once robots come into more and more contact with consumers where safety concerns are paramount.

github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/CppCoreGuidelines.md

I just asked three of my lecturers about ADA (I'm doing a degree in the subject) and all three said it was irrelevant. One even laughed.

I agree Ada is very important.

Oh no. This screwdriver is shit because it won't torque down this screw although I quit torquing the screw because my arms are weak because I am a little girl.
Don't blame the tool; blame the user.
Do you honestly believe that Google, Apple, Microsoft aren't working together to limit your programming capabilities to 1 or 0 languages?
It's already happening on the Mac; look at how xcode is set up to dissuade people from using anything but Apple approved coding practices and styles.
You are being controlled for 'safety', and it's not your safety either.

Oh, they're not pro-rust in any sense. The future is still embedded C

They're pushing 'safe' programming because we'll have encrypted memory within 10 years, at which point they can lock down the PC super hard and if you can't find exploits in existing programs they can lock you out of your own hardware like a console.

Take your pills.

C users are tools. C is not a tool.

This. It's why all in all I am glad about the plethora of security vulnerabilities and I hated when the faggots at the EFF offered to let security researchers help make Widevine more secure as a "compromise". That would have been actually worse, thankfully Tim " I suck cock for money" Lee just ignored them. When they talk about security, they talk about security for themselves against you. Never forget that.

We came close to already having it. Both Intel and AMD attempted it, but they both fucked up because they're full of Pajeets. They're going to try again. It is the biggest Pandora's box in tech and will change everything.

So you'd rather everything written in unsafe languages and keeping exploits in higher level software that anyone can find and use?

I'd rather live in a world with exploits than one where Israel has total and complete control over my computer.

Really makes you think.

Is there any good reason to use "safe language" instead of C + code analysis tool?

Observe how to kike twists every sentiment for C into a sentiment for buffer overflows and "a link that gives full access to exploit your machine."

How retarded they are!

That's what C does. The "Thompson hack" was a backdoor in the C compiler. What is that backdoor that survived for all this time? It's in the design of C itself. They have "total and complete control" over your brain as well, and you don't even realize it.

No.

If code analysis tools work then why are there bugs in popular open source software written in C?

Meh. Ask you're "lecturers" how many commercial airliners they've written production software for Pajeet.

Kek. Underrated.

You do sound like a little girl friend. And everyone knows there are no females on the Internet. So, we already know you're a fraud bro.

Land of Lisp

He said three lecturers though, I mean that's just coffin nails for Ada.